• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• longgone

• nlinecomputers

• Ed_P

• ross549

:D :D :D :D Wellllll .. now that we have all had Van Huesen ala king and Hanes on the half shell ... shall we get back to the situation at hand ... (the computer) ..... ?????????????

Well .... all now that the forums are btt (back to traffic) does anyone have any new thoughts/suggestins/recommendations (other than tossing the computer) I might should try before I put it into the computer hospital (shop)????????

:lol: :lol: :lol: :sweatingbullets: :"> :drooling: :w00t: Could that possibly be from the mens fashion section over at the Saks 5th avenue store or are we being more conservative and just over to WalMart ... ?????????

I am fairly sure the ram sticks are good , I have individually tested/run all three and did not have any problems with them at all. The machine did not reboot at any time and I ran about 3 hours on each stick. The shop might be the best thing to do but I think I might change out the IDE cables first. Especially the one for the Secondary Master which seems to have a habit albeit intermittent of not allowing the CDRW unit to be detected during the boot up process. Urrrggggghhh ... this is causing great discomfort .....

If the BIOS intermittently has a prob picking up the burner it sounds like hardware is the culprit.Three possibilities/assumptions to go on and check:1) IDE cable simplest and cheapest to check/replace.2) the burner itself. Take it out of the loop and see if the condition persists or can be duplicated. Also install the burner on another machine with no known probs by itself on IDE2 and see if it acts up. If so you now know it's the burner.3) IDE2 on the Mboard could also be the culprit. This can be checked with a known good CD unit and a new cable from test#1. If the prob shows up again with another CD unit and New cable then the IDE2 is the culprit.Sorry bout your frustration and hope this helps...patio. :whistling:

TET TOT...............The pwr supply is rated at 420W and it is powering the hard drive, a cdrw unit, modem (56K),8x video card, and three additional fans plus the mainboard (of course). Nothing else is in/on that machine.

Same thing is happening to my machine: event id 12 disappeared from the system without first being prepared for removal.But plextor dvd and asus cdrw are both dissapearing.here is what my log looks like:11:51:23 AM Third Event id 12The device 'PLEXTOR DVDR PX-708A' (IDE\CdRomPLEXTOR_DVDR___PX-708A__________________1.06____\5&265fbc54&0&0.1.0) disappeared from the system without first being prepared for removal.11:51:23 AM Second Event id 9The device, \Device\Ide\IdePort1, did not respond within the timeout period.11:51:20 AM First Event id 12The device 'ASUS CRW-5232AS' (IDE\CdRomASUS_CRW-5232AS_________________________1.01____\5&265fbc54&0&0.0.0) disappeared from the system without first being prepared for removal.Machine Specs:Motherboard Manufacturer ASUSTeK Computer Inc.Motherboard Model P4C800-EMotherboard Serial Number MB-1234567890Motherboard Version Rev 1.xxBios Vendor American Megatrends Inc.Bios Version 1016.001Bios Release Date 23-Feb-2004CPU Manufacturer GenuineIntelCPU Family 2CPU Version Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 3.00GHzApproximate MHz 3,006CPU Socket CPU 1Video Bios Date 31-Oct-2002Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200 with AGP8XVideo RAM 128 Mb Memory Used 34.00 %Total Physical Memory 1023 MbTotal Page File Memory -1.713652E+09 bytesAvailable Page File Memory -1.970487E+09 bytesTotal Virtual Memory 2 GbAvailable Virtual Memory 2 GbHelp is appreciated.Please email me with any responses as well.Thank you,James DeLuciaJames@TriDeLsolutions.com

martinultima

Important detail you forgot about: If it had Blaster or one of those worms, it would have affected the system when it was connected via dial-up, and not just with broadband.Before I got a broadband connection last month, one of my systems was hit by Blaster and kept rebooting... eventually figured it out and removed the virus... but this was with a dial-up connection, not broadband.There is (as far as I know) no virus in existance that requires a broadband connection to screw up your computer :rolleyes:

Very true, Martin... :)My sister caught the Blaster when it came out, and she is on the slowest of dialup speeds.... less than 20K in most cases. :whistling:

:P B) :whistling: Gentlemen (and ladies) who have been so nice as to lend advice about my random re-booting machine.... I have returned. I have (already had) new cables to put in it and today I received a new CDRW (bought off ebay) and I am not sure if I got a really good deal or just got a deal. The one I bid on was NIB (sure wasn't the box it was shipped in though), a 24x10x40, just like the one in my own machine that is still questionable (on another thread), but what I got was a 32x10x40 and in BIG letters/numbers on the front it states USB 2.0. What is the geneal opinion on what I bid on and what I got ??? One more item, after I put these items in (I also have cleared the CMOS) and fire it back off should I continue on with it or reload an OS into it ??????? I ask that because I would assume that it would be better to have a clean slate to start from y/n ?????

ross549....I will try to do that ,,, but at the moment I am d/l Fedora 2 updates so I will attempt it as soon as I can.

Update time............ installed the new CD/RW ... seems to work fine replaced the ide cables and even fired it off... now its time to load the OS (again). One item I have come across is the main board, the FSB is set by jumpers (2) and the results I get when I set the jumpers for the PC2100/DDR266 ram according to the manual do not give me 266, I get 200, I have 2 more jumper options to try to get this right or get a new mainboard. There is actually a 3rd option for the FSB but it is for DDR400 ram and I have none. So sometime in the next 10 days I shall make an attempt to get this one up and on line .

• 2 weeks later...
:) :P I am open to some advice... on this machine .... I have replaced everything in this machine with the exception of the mainboard and cpu/heatsink/fan. I just loaded it with XP (OEM edition), went up on the web to ZDNet d/l'd Ad-Aware, Pop-up Stopper then onto Grisoft for AVG. Before I could even run AVG I got a notice of a virus,,, ran the AVG and had 311 infected files,,, same virus on all of the I- something/Netsky and some numbers... and then it shut down and rebooted.. came back up and I started to install the security update disk from MS and part way through that it reboots again. Does anyone have any kind of an idea where this problem is at.... only original items left are the mainboard and processor..... whats your opinion...

Symantec has a Netsky removal tool on their site. That will help you get rid of the virii. Make sure you boot into safe mode and disable system restore before running the tool! :)

Okay,,, that is a thought, I can also just reload the OS into the machine and do away with the virus that way .... my main line concern is what is wrong with this machine???? When it does the reboot there is a BSOD that is so quick I cannot even read it ... I guess I could do the control panel drill and look at the log .... but this is getting to be a pain ... as I said I have replaced everything except those two items,,, I am about ready to use a 20lb sledge on it.

Didn't you just reload the OS? If so, then grab the fix Netsky file, unplug the ethernet, reboot the machine and clean that sucker! :whistling:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :hmm: :hmm: :hmm: :w00t: :whistling: :url: :P :) Ethernet ....... what is that?????????????? We be talking 56k at best dial it up modem here.... But here is a good question for you ... since I have the XP disk ... bought and paid for ... where did all these virus invaders come from.... I was only at two sites ZDNet and Grisoft 2 d/l's from ZDNet and 1 from Grisoft.... so who is the culprit there??????

They are coming from PC's all over the Internet, broadcasting the worm. You don't need to visit a site to get it, just being connected is enoughUnless you have a router, or have the computer disconected from the internet (dialup too) you will keep getting infected until you have at least Zone Alarm, XP's firewall, or the patch that plugs this hole installed before you connect to the web.The advantage of a router is that you don't have to wait for software to load to be protected. Your computer is behind a firewall during all phases of the installation.

:P :) :whistling: :url: So... following that theory... if I re-installed XP and the security update disk.. with the computer unplugged from the net I should be good to go when I do hook up since I do use XP's firewall.Just might use that other disk that came with it .. it has to do with firewalls, etc. etc.

If you have a burner, or multiple floppies you can save Zonealarm to, I would have that running before connecting to the internet. Its an extra layer of protection.

I'm having the same issue myself right now... it's just doing its random reboot thing... it popped up with that rpc protocol error thing that you see from the sasser, but only after i used task manager and closed everything out. It mostly does its damage in the middle of me playing my Runescape game. I'm behind a firewall myself so I can't really understand why this is going through. I just tried stinging my computer and running that horrible sasser worm fix from symatech, but it apparently isn't working on finding it. My father is also a computer technician and this problem just recently occured on a customers machine. Is there any hope for really nailing this virus without having to reformat my precious machine, lol. They ever fix your issue long?