Possible Netbook for Clutter?

Cluttermagnet

Guest LilBambi

Everybody's situation is unique of course. But if you have a laptop or a laptop or desktop that makes it difficult to lay wire, wireless is great.

And as Elizabeth noted, when you have tablets and smart phones too.

What's up with all the wifi hating going on? hehe

I love wifi and I have lots of devices connected at once.

No hate, just utility. The only device I have is a laptop, and I can't realistically use it anywhere but on my desk. Edited by ebrke

securitybreach

No hate, just utility. The only device I have is a laptop, and I can't realistically use it anywhere but on my desk.

Yeah, I was just kidding ya

• Like 1

Cluttermagnet

I still need to read my Lenovo manuals. I haven't yet figured out how to disable wifi in thes lappies. Meanwhile, I'm plugging in Ethernet plugs with all my zillions of computers, including lappies. Nope, don't hate wifi, Josh. In time, after I understand it a little better, it's going to be a valuable tool for roaming with my lappies if I need a slug of free bandwidth once in a while...

So, current status- Betty and I are a two Lenovo laptop family- I with my R61 and she with her T420. Clutter is only about 2-3 weeks into his first experiences with laptop ownership- OTOH I have been maintaining her G570 until recently, about 3 years...

Edited by Cluttermagnet

I poked through the Windows Control Panel and disabled wi-fi from there on my mother's win 7 laptop. Never did figure out if there was a hardware "switch" or not. At least she's no longer is presented with questions about whether she wants to connect to a neighbor's network.

Cluttermagnet

<p>I just went through a thorough check of the R61 keyboard, both in Win7 and then repeated withLM17 running. Both are still booting with that error message about the keyboard. I can blowby it using Esc in Linux. Something similar in Windows, don't remember. Well, I have now foundmy suspect errant key, but that key does work in 'normal mode'; it fails to 'print' if I havethe Shift key pressed. It is the 'right pointy bracket' that is apparently permanently missing.So I can type this line with no problems:qwertyuiop[]\But shifted you will see one is always missing (I hit space to show you which is missing):QWERTYUIOP{ |So this is no 'stuck key' at all, it's more like an encoder in the keyboard failing toencode the shifted right square bracket, which should 'print' as a 'right pointy bracket'.Ideas, anyone? Still looks like I am looking at a bad keyboard that needs replacement.Probably easier for me to just buy another kbd and put it in myself.I really don't know how soon if ever I would actually miss that particular key. I do recallusing that one on rare occasions. I could probably work around it, since it isn't a letter,number, or punctuation mark...

OMG this website is soooooo messed up on the editor. Makes my edit posts look like run-ondog meat. I post way neater than this...

Well, the wait wasn't too bad. Another R61 laptop was on the front porch this evening.

The keyboard 'seems' better. Space bar certainly is straight and level, and it responds

to pressure anywhere along its length. The cabinet is more beat- top of it shows deep

scratches. The first one looked a lot nicer. But here's the rub- every time it boots I get

an error message

Error 0210

Stuck Key 40

Press F1 to setup

Siiighhhh.....

Yeah, you guys were right, just replace the keyboard (on my nickel). Instead I spent

21 dollars to send it back and got another 'bad' one.

Actually, I can blow by it's little hysterical message by just hitting Escape, FWIW.

And go on and do other things, like entering the Windows secret code or later

booting into a live DVD session, which is where I am at the moment. LM17 Mate.

I opened a notepad program and checked all keys I could check, and none failed

to 'print' a character on the screen- but anyway the computer is nagging about

one of the keys being stuck. I dunno...

It's certainly usable... I haven't the heart to invest the time and another 21 dollars

to try another 'pig in a poke' (by returning defective product). My 135 dollar lappie

is getting more and more expensive by the day... I'll probably stand pat with what

I've got- and maybe I can avoid having to replace the laptop depending on which

key is actually 'stuck'. Can't determine which one, so far...

Hey, I bet a new keyboard on Fleabay costs 21 dollars shipped. :whistling:

Edited by Cluttermagnet
  • Like 1

Cluttermagnet

<p>Hmmm, not sure I am understanding? Do you mean compose on another machine and

import it onto the laptop with the broked keyboard using a flash drive or

whatever? Near as I can tell, the shifted/upper case pointy right bracket is

permanently disabled on this box. Fortunately, it is the only misbehaving key

I am aware of. And at least the lower case square right bracket does 'print'.<p>

Maybe I can look up the ampersand code for pointy upper case right bracket and fool themachine that way...

Edited by Cluttermagnet

] num lock on, press alt and 093 on keyboard, if you need a right bracket.

} num lock on, press alt and 125 if you need a right brace.

) num lock on, press alt and 041 if you need a right parentheses.

Just state what you need and I can probably figure out the alt and numerical keys needed to display it.

Edited by zlim
  • Like 1

Cluttermagnet

Thanks, Liz- I just now learned the correct name for these brackets. "Brace", eh?

Yes, right brace it is, so I will try alt and 125 later when I get back on the R61.

Oh, and with number lock on. I'll refer back to this thread when I try that...

Of all the keys, that right brace seems to be the only one that's 'out'.

I bet there is some fried silicon in the encoder (decoder?) circuitry on the keyboard PC board;

Also that replacing with a new keyboard will probably fix it...

Edited by Cluttermagnet

Cluttermagnet

Actually the bb code works but you must enter it manually and sometimes twice. It is a pain but manageable.

What is bb code? New concept to me, though I do remember seeing the expression before.

I have already learned to insert line breaks when I'm composing in this stupid editor, and

they are an unusual form but look a lot like the HTML4 I learned, namely

a "br", a space, and a / bar instead of just the "br" between the two arrows

Edited by Cluttermagnet

Cluttermagnet

Uk2gLR2.jpg

Oh, that is much better! This was my first imgur image BTW

Now I'm hungry- bbl...

P.S. Just happened across my Lenovo R61 on NewEgg and it's off sale now, back up to

299.95 plus nearly 22 dollars shipping. I guess they don't care if they don't sell

many. We just bought a way better Lenovo T420 for Betty and it was only 285.00 and

much more reasonable shipping- on that auction site...

Edited by Cluttermagnet
  • Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

UBB code is Universal Bulletin Board code. It's been around since Noah was coding webpages.

Here's some info on it --> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBCode

You can also code in raw HTML if you know how to do that. The board will allow this. It didn't used to, but now it does for some reason.

HTML info --> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTML

You can also use any handy WYSIWYG editor to create your post and then copy it into the box at Scot's. WYSIWYG = What You See Is What You Get.

Here's one --> http://bestonlinehtmleditor.com/

If you have Mozilla Seamonkey installed on your system, it has a built-in HTML editor called Composer that works very well.

Edited by V.T. Eric Layton
  • Like 1

Cluttermagnet

Interesting, Eric. I'll have to play around a little with it. I'd sure rather not code if I don't have to, however.

Strangely, I do know HTML4. I learned it and coded my entire extended website in raw HTML starting back in about 1999.

Joe Average User is definitely not going to like the state they find the editor in! And they probably won't be

back much if we don't get it fixed IMO.

UBB code is Universal Bulletin Board code. It's been around since Noah was coding webpages.

Here's some info on it --> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBCode

You can also code in raw HTML if you know how to do that. The board will allow this. It didn't used to, but now it does for some reason.

HTML info --> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTML

You can also use any handy WYSIWYG editor to create your post and then copy it into the box at Scot's. WYSIWYG = What You See Is What You Get.

Here's one --> http://bestonlinehtmleditor.com/

If you have Mozilla Seamonkey installed on your system, it has a built-in HTML editor called Composer that works very well.

</p>

In the wiki UBB item, he misspells "artifact" in the paragraph titled Implementation. Heh!

Edited (as best he can) by Cluttermagnet

Edited by Cluttermagnet

V.T. Eric Layton
In the wiki UBB item, he misspells "artifact" in the paragraph titled Implementation. Heh!

I logged into my Wikipedia account and corrected the spelling of that word, David.

• Like 2

Cluttermagnet

Wow- I just found this post of yours today, Liz- thanks! Yep, I found the little switch andclicked it to the left (off). In Mint 17 I didn't see anything change. The little wirelessIcon under the screen wasn't lit anyway- but I think I do remember seeing it on under Win7.Good find.

Turn the R61 over and compare to this screenshot

http://support.lenov...ents/migr-67720

#4 is the switch to turn wireless on and off. Fortunately our current three netbooks use a key combo that is easy to find.

• Like 1

Cluttermagnet

Very interesting to finally take a look at the modern implementation of html. My skills are rusty and I learned some now obsolete ways of doing things. Some of my pages use the align attribute, and I think that is now a no-no. FWIW my old page still seems to render reasonably well. I used a lot of tables, too (mostly hidden). I think that is now deprecated.

Thanks for the link, Josh!

Well HTML has changed a bit with version 5: http://www.w3.org/TR...-diff-20141209/

Edited by Cluttermagnet
  • Like 1

Cluttermagnet

Oh- cool, Eric. I forgot any member can get in there and edit. I thought the misspelling was funny, that's all. Just couldn't resist being a wise arse...

I logged into my Wikipedia account and corrected the spelling of that word, David.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
Cluttermagnet

Hi, All-

Well, it's been one of those winters where I just settle into basement cleaning and re-arranging with a vengeance. Kind of 'cocooning' and dropping off the map, pretty much- but all is well here. Is it possible to be over-organized with all one's basement stuff? I seem to be headed in that general direction on some sort of three year plan...

I haven't used my old Lenovo R61 a whole lot, but I do keep it current. Something like 10 computers (2 laptops) on site, another 6 desktops at Casa Clutter. I try to keep almost all of them working and up to date- think I may have 4 out of 6 either broken or little used at home base. It's a lot of hardware. Still on dialup only there. I've been amazed that I could just barely keep up with all the Linux patches on one machine there using dialup, one of my P4/2.8GHz/800/1M boxes.

I bought a dialup modem USB type and have used the R61 successfully there with it. Still no wireless activity on any of my hardware. I'll get around to it. Want to learn how to run a laptop safely at wireless hot spots.

Betty's Lenovo G570 languished in the basement for a couple of months while I went all through the R61/T420 exercise with those two 'new' laptops. Then one day, on a lark, I hooked up the G570 in the basement . Where the Power LED had taken to giving off a steady amber color rather than white, this box seemingly overnight 'healed itself' and the LED was white again. Hooked it to internet and updated it. I have NO idea what happened. It was dead as a doornail. I guess the 'vacation' did it some good. I'm typing on the G570 right now. Sheesh! Go figure. We're a 3 laptop family now...

Edited by Cluttermagnet
  • Like 2