Debugging a Refrigerator

raymac46

Guest LilBambi

I have a friend who has matching fridge and freezer side by side in her huge kitchen.

I must say between that and the island Jenn Air 5-burner cook top, double full size ovens and more, it was easily my most kitchen envy moment. ;)

In her defence, the have a huge family and everyone of them come to their house for any holidays. She spends weeks cooking and preparing since she does ALL the cooking for the clan for these turnouts.

Amazing cook too BTW.

Old fridge is still chuggin' but I don't like the way the compressor starts up. Still a couple of weeks before we get the new one. I don't like this sword of Damocles hanging over my head. :sweatingbullets:

Edited by raymac46

Guest LilBambi

Oh, boy...hope it holds out till you get your new one.

That is always the thing ... knowing when to replace ...before it fails altogether.

Good luck Ray!

The compressor is definitely unhealthy. If things get really hot and it has to run then shut off and restart, it goes into thermal overload. if it can cool down and the refrigerant drops in pressure a bit, it starts normally. It's holding the temperature OK but I can't see it lasting forever.

Finally gave in and got a small cheap compact fridge at Walmart. At least if the big fridge dies we'll have somewhere to keep milk and meat if needed. I just don't think the main fridge will be with us much longer. Gets harder and harder to start every time. I can use the small fridge for cold drinks later on so It's not a total waste of money.

• Like 1

Well already got an offer from my daughter to take the small fridge if I don't need it when my new big one arrives. She can always use an extra one, she says. Sure... :hmm:

One other thing I have tried...not sure if it'll help but you never know.

I have emptied the freezer compartment on the big ole sick fridge and since I'm not really using it, I raised the freezer temperature (lowered the control setting.) Since the freezer won't be taking as much refrigeration capacity hopefully the compressor won't have to run as long and maybe won't overheat as much.

Edited by raymac46

V.T. Eric Layton

Actually, you stress a refrigerator more when it is empty. The items in your freezer retain the cold and assist in keeping the freezer compartment at about 0 degrees F. When you empty it out, the compressor has to kick on more and more often because empty space is not easy to maintain at a certain temperature. Air is an insulator. It's also a heat sink. It absorbs ambient heat.

Our repairman told us, if the freezer wasn't packed to put in plastic containers with water to freeze and take up space.

I try and keep the freezer on top of the refrigerator filled.

The standalone, I don't worry as much about. We are hoping it dies so we can replace it! The seal from day one has been poor. We spent $100 for a new gasket, the repairman pit it on and it still doesn't seal well. (I will never buy another Kenmore appliance!) We only bought it because the one in the house was a Kenmore and worked great. Obviously, the product line has gone downhill badly.

Edited by zlim

The freezer is not completely empty. I still have the ice cube trays and some coffee in there. Just took out anything that matters.

Sounds like good advice to put stuff in there to freeze though - if you don't care about preservation.

Edited by raymac46

Maytag RIP. The compressor simply would not start this afternoon and the temperature was slowly but surely rising. We moved the essentials to the small fridge and unplugged the big one.

It'll be no big deal really. We plan on a brief holiday next week away from home and we were going to unplug the fridge while we were away. With the small backup fridge at least we'll have some dairy products kept cold. The mini fridge even has a small freezer so we can make some ice cubes. It'll be like camping until the new fridge arrives but we can survive I am sure.

• 2 weeks later...

On the weekend we went down to visit my daughter and the grandkids. We couldn't invite them here because our mini fridge doesn't allow us to have a lot of food in the house.

It was interesting to see the difference between boys and girls when we told them about our broken fridge. My grandson was intrigued by the technical reasons why an appliance like this would fail; my granddaughter thought we were starving because we couldn't keep much food in the house and was really upset. :hysterical:

• Like 1

I know that the best times I've had in recent years are when I'm with the grandchildren. When they are around everything else pales into

insignificance .

Enjoy and have fun as they aren't kids for very long these days .

The new fridge is here and after a 4 hour wait after delivery we switched it on. It's very quiet. Time will tell if it cools things down I guess.

The fridge has Samsung's new inverter compressor technology which runs the compressor at variable speed based on cooling demand. This is supposed to keep the fridge temperatures more constant, use less energy, be easier on the compressor and be quieter as well. So if that's all true it'll be one good thing about having to replace the old fridge.

Delivery man advised that because it gets moved around a bit in the truck and into the house, it's best to let it sit for a few hours to allow any oils in the compressor to settle down.

It has cooled down nicely so we transferred our limited perishables into the new fridge. After the mini fridge it seems massive, even though it is a relatively compact unit as they go today. The best part is I don't have to stumble down to the basement at 6 AM to retrieve a half empty can of cat food. :thumbup: :w00tx100:

After a few days I have to say I love this fridge. The French Doors are convenient, the LED lighting is nice, the freezer compartment is HUGE. It is whisper quiet. And best of all, it works.

It seems strange that the maker of my TV and Blu-Ray player also made my fridge, but I can deal with it.

Nobody likes to spend money when you don't have to, but this turned out to be an upgrade I think.

• Like 1