More Confessions of a non-Enthusiast

raymac46

V.T. Eric Layton

@ Ray... Yep. That's why I don't run a KDE-free Slack these days. I like K3b and some other cool little KDE apps. I have the best of both worlds running Xfce w/ KDE apps available in the menu, too. :)

• Like 1

Yep. That's why I don't run a KDE-free Slack these days. I like K3b and some other cool little KDE apps. I have the best of both worlds running Xfce w/ KDE apps available in the menu, too. :)

Exactly! I do the same, in GNOME as well as in and Xfce -- I always add a handful of my favorite KDE apps.

Guest LilBambi

Yep, me too. I install KDE, Gnome, Xfce at a minimum. But Open Box is quite nice as well.

That way I can open my KDE and Gnome apps regardless of which DE or GUI I use.

And can use KDE or Xfce.

Some I use KDE (have enough memory to make it work well) or use Xfce on lesser memory configurations. But have all my Gnome and KDE apps regardless.

One big advantage of VirtualBox (assuming it works alright ) is that you can try out a lot of Desktops, Right now I have Slack with KDE and Debian Jessie with Gnome on a Windows 7 host, and Mageia 4 with KDE and Debian Jessie with Xfce on a Linux host.

On the rails I have Linux Mint Xfce on a netbook, Mint Cinnamon on a couple of desktops and Arch Xfce on another one. (Whew!)

One thing I don't like about Xfce is that configuring the Application menu is a bear. I never seem to get this right - I think this is because the menu pulls in items from the user/share and the ~/.local directories. At one time in my Slack Xfce Applications Menu I had 3 instances of Firefox. They all worked but it's a bit of overkill.

V.T. Eric Layton

One thing I don't like about Xfce is that configuring the Application menu is a bear. I never seem to get this right - I think this is because the menu pulls in items from the user/share and the ~/.local directories. At one time in my Slack Xfce Applications Menu I had 3 instances of Firefox. They all worked but it's a bit of overkill.

Indeed. Xfce really needs to work on that. Modifying/customizing their menu is a ROYAL PITA. I can manage it, but it ain't fun. :(

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

KDE does a lot of good stuff. Unfortunately, at a cost... speed, bloat, resource hogging, etc.

• Like 1

Agreed about the lack of a native menu editor for Xfce. They used to have one, a few years back.

Yeah, it's possible to edit/customize it, but lately I've been leaving the main menu alone and setting up my panel so that I don't need the main menu much. It helps that you can add launchers to the Application Finder, so if you have a button for the Application Finder sitting on the panel, you can click on the little arrow to bring up a little custom "menu" thingy. Here's how mine looks in Arch:

xfce4_panel_arch.jpg

I am a huge fan of Xfce myself and I have been ever since I used it with Vector Linux.

I think I'll be choosing Xfce when installing linux on my older XP laptop. Less strain on resources than KDE, which I used exclusively for years and years with SuSE.

V.T. Eric Layton

I launch most of the apps I use regularly from the panels... side, main, and notification area.

u9YeB89s.png

Good idea about the panel. I tried KDE with Slackware but I really like Xfce better so I switched back and added the necessary launchers to the panel that hides out of the way at the bottom of the screen.

As far as Linux on laptops goes I have two old netbooks - one with 512 MB of RAM running Debian Wheezy and one with 1 GB of RAM that runs Linux Mint. Both of these are Xfce at present.

You folk aught to leave your troubles and woes with Xfce and KDE et al behind and try out Window Maker. :harhar:

I'll bite. I installed it in Bridge Linux just now:

# pacman -S windowmaker

I've read about WindowMaker, and looked at screenshots, but didn't think it was something that would appeal to me. I'm logged into it now. This might take a little while to get used to.

• Like 2

Guest LilBambi

You folk aught to leave your troubles and woes with Xfce and KDE et al behind and try out Window Maker. :harhar:

My Jim used to love WM when he had really low spec computers. I never liked it. I like eye candy :P

V.T. Eric Layton

I like a happy medium between no candy and too much. Windowmaker looks just a wee bit plain for my tastes. Boy! I thought LXDE was minimal. Windowmaker makes LXDE look like a colorful bloated pig. ;)

Guest LilBambi

Yes, me too Eric. But I do like my transparency and my granular control in a GUI visual way of seeing how it will look.

I do enough coding with webpage designs ;)

I like a happy medium between no candy and too much. Windowmaker looks just a wee bit plain for my tastes. Boy! I thought LXDE was minimal. Windowmaker makes LXDE look like a colorful bloated pig. ;)

Right now I'm using IceWM on my 10+ year old linux machine--now THAT'S minimal.
  • Like 1

Right now I'm using IceWM on my 10+ year old linux machine--now THAT'S minimal.

Don't be shy. Post screenies. :hug:

liverpoolslack_zps929fcb52.jpg

So here's my latest - Slackware Xfce running in Windows 7. Photo is of the Pier Head in Liverpool taken in May 2013.

Were you in the Pool to take the shot ?

Don't be shy. Post screenies. :hug:

Were you in the Pool to take the shot ?

Nope. Just on the pool deck of a cruise ship.

• Like 1

• Choose cheap cruises. Transatlantics are the best, and the Spring ones have great weather usually.
  • Look for discounts and other perqs. We got a great deal on the British Isles cruise that followed up our Transatlantic one.
  • Cruise in shoulder seasons between Winter and Summer.
  • Use credit card points for London hotels after the cruise as well as for the return flight to Canada.

Do this and you can at least look rich.

Edited by raymac46
  • Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

I would like to tour Europe and Scandinavia one of these days, but I don't like to fly. Unfortunately, I don't like to drown in freezing waters after hitting ice bergs, either. Too bad I can't take a bus over there. Let's see what my choices are...

1. take a ship across and spend a week or so seasick and in fear for my life; then a calm and peaceful death as the cold water I'm floating in lowers my body temperature till I lose consciousness and die, or
  2. take a flight across and spend a few hours airsick and barfing into a bag while every little rattle and roll causes me extreme terror, then die a very quick and violent death after plummeting 30,000' into the ocean.

Hmm... I'm thinking of just touring Toronto. I can drive there. ;)

Guest LilBambi

1. Seasickness is generally not such a big deal on the cruise ships they say ... as long as you don't get hit by massive storms like hurricanes and tidal waves/tsunamis. ;)

2. Not gonna happen for me till they start acting sane at airports.

One of these days I would love to catch a cruise ship to Hawaii and Australia. I like to dream big. ;)

V.T. Eric Layton

2. Not gonna happen for me till they start acting sane at airports.

Yeah... gotta' agree on this for sure. I'm not going to get my privates xray'd or get one of those fun cavity searches, either. We've agreed to give up all our liberties and dignity to have that little bit of security these days. It's borked up to the extreme. :(