Rootkit Hunter

Bruno

villager.gifhunter0cj.gifbek150.gifguerrero2xc.gifI hope my "Enter" finger holds out!Application advisories* Application scan Checking Apache2 modules ... [ Not found ] Checking Apache configuration ... [ OK ]* Application version scan - GnuPG 1.2.4 [ OK ] - OpenSSL 0.9.7d [ OK ] - Procmail MTA 3.22 [ OK ] - OpenSSH 3.8p1 [ OK ]Security advisories* Check: Groups and Accounts Searching for /etc/passwd... [ Found ] Checking users with UID '0' (root)... [ OK ]* Check: SSH Searching for sshd_config... Found /etc/ssh/sshd_config Checking for allowed root login... [ OK (Remote root login permitted by explicit option) ] Checking for allowed protocols... [ Warning (SSH v1 allowed) ]* Check: Events and Logging Search for syslog configuration... [ OK ] Checking for running syslog slave... [ OK ] Checking for logging to remote system... [ OK (no remote logging) ][Press <ENTER> to continue]

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bruno

• Shamgar

• linuxdude32

• trigggl

spock.gifpirate33st.gifLooks like we are at the end . . . smilie_pop_eyes.gif---------------------------- Scan results ----------------------------MD5MD5 compared: 56Incorrect MD5 checksums: 0File scanScanned files: 342Possible infected files: 0Application scanVulnerable applications: 0Scanning took 1699 secondsScan results written to logfile (/var/log/rkhunter.log)-----------------------------------------------------------------------Do you have some problems, undetected rootkits, false positives, ideasor suggestions?Please e-mail me by filling in the contact form (@http://www.rootkit.nl)-----------------------------------------------------------------------linux:/home/Shamgar # Edited by Shamgar

Thanks Bruno. Now do I close the terminal? Where am I going to find this when I try to add a toolbar button (Non KDE Application)?1074.gifclap.giftrigggl: It's an extension from firefox called smxtra1ag.gif

No no . . no toolbar button . . . First you have to run it as root ( and toolbar buttons are only for the user )Second: you always need to run it in a terminal anyway to see the output ( and press <Enter> . . . LOL ! )Yes you can close the terminal now . . your system is healty ans safe !:D Bruno

So if I want to run this program I have to type in this:linux:/home/Shamgar # /usr/local/bin/rkhunter -c --createlogfileHave another round SuSE . . . . uglypanzer.gif SuSE 9.1

Edited by Shamgar

Nope you just type ( as root )rkhunter -c --createlogfileThat is all . . . ( we made a new link remember ? and this time I did put the link in /usr/sbin . . where root can find it . . . so then just typing "rkhunter" with the options after it will do ):D Bruno

Once every month will do Shamgar . . . .and if you suspect something fishy going on with your system and expect that it is compromised ( cracked :D ):thumbsup: Bruno

• 6 months later...
  • 10 months later...
muckshifter

Hey! don't blame me for the resurrection of this thread ... Scot did it. :thumbsup: Oh, and Suse 10.1 installs rkhunter fine via YaST ... :w00t: :hysterical:

Where is the log file for this thing after you run it? When I type whereis logfile, it indicates it should be in my home, but where? When I enter "whereis rkhunter" I get: /usr/sbin/rkhunter /etc/rkhunter.conf /lib/rkhunter but in looking in these places, there is no logfile there that I can see.Not to hijack this thread, but this points up a fundamental problem I have run into in Linux: I cannot find things I am looking for. Is there some better way, than using "whereis"?Thank you.Bill

Edited by BillD

Hi BillDid you have a look at the output on your screen ?? At the end it says:

---------------------------- Scan results ----------------------------MD5MD5 compared: 38Incorrect MD5 checksums: 0File scanScanned files: 342Possible infected files: 0Application scanVulnerable applications: 0Scanning took 130 secondsScan results written to logfile (/var/log/rkhunter.log)-----------------------------------------------------------------------
;):thumbsup: BrunoPS: I just created a special thread for questions about the Newsletter & Linux Explorer: http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.php?showtopic=15774 please post your comments over there :hysterical:

As I told Bruno, it pays to read. I had been so busy looking at the stuff as it scrolled down the screen and wondering what a red warning was and also what the yellow on white stuff was, that by the time it reached the end, I failed to note the end. After finding the original log, I tried it again, and of course, there was the notice.Thank you . . . sorry to ask something that should have been obvious . . . but wasn't to me!Bill

It happens to all of us Bill, including me. :P You should hear me sometimes yelling at my self 'you stupid %$##*:++_), are you blind?' Just last friday I forgot to get in as root before doing a simple /sbin/lilo.... :w00t: never happened before. :thumbsup: We're just human. :hysterical:

There is no point in me not admiting it. If you go back through this forum to three years ago (yikes already 3 years???) you will find threads where I asked 1000 questions and did a lot of dumb things! I can usually go awhile without doing something dumb these days. :D :(

Frank Golden
:D :(
Neat tool No GUI but I made launcher for program. Terminal shuts down at end of scan.But I can see problems before it does. If I see problems I can always re-runin terminal proper.found some hidden files outside /home/dev/.static/dev/./dev/.initramfs/dev/.udev/dev/.initramfs-tools /etc/.pwd.lock/etc/.javaand one unknown GnuPG 1.4.2.2Don't see log in /var/log

Neat tool No GUI but I made launcher for program. Terminal shuts down at end of scan.But I can see problems before it does. If I see problems I can always re-runin terminal proper.found some hidden files outside /home/dev/.static/dev/./dev/.initramfs/dev/.udev/dev/.initramfs-tools /etc/.pwd.lock/etc/.javaand one unknown GnuPG 1.4.2.2Don't see log in /var/log
Frank, Try this:rkhunter -c --createlogfile --nocolorsThis checks the system, performs all tests,creates a logfile in /var/log/rkhunter.log, anddoesn't use colors for the output (some terminals don't like colors or extended layout characters).

Frank Golden
Frank, Try this:rkhunter -c --createlogfile --nocolorsThis checks the system, performs all tests,creates a logfile in /var/log/rkhunter.log, anddoesn't use colors for the output (some terminals don't like colors or extended layout characters).
Thanks Striker worked charm. Didn't need --nocolors, terminal has no problem colors etc.