Slackware Current @ Beta - Eric Attempts Upgrades

V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Ian has a guide for upgrading Slackware?

SUCCESS!

The lappy is officially running Slackware Current (14).

Between the shop and the laptop systems, it's definitely been a learning experience. I'm almost ready to do the main system. Maybe sometime in the next couple days while everything is still at the surface of my brain. Of coures, I took copious notes throughout this escapade... as always. :yes:

securitybreach

Ian has a guide for upgrading Slackware?

I meant his Clonezilla tutorial so you could easily restore your borked systems.

V.T. Eric Layton

Ah... well, the prob w/ Clonezilla images for me is that I have no place to store them. :(

securitybreach

Ah... well, the prob w/ Clonezilla images for me is that I have no place to store them. :(

Surely you have an extra 40gb laying around (that should be plenty). I had to resize one of the partitions on one of the drives to make room but it worked just fine.

V.T. Eric Layton

Nope. All partitions are assigned on my drives. Remember, I have numerous operating systems on this main system (7); each with separate / and /home partitions. I would need an external drive to do Clonezilla, I'm afraid.

securitybreach

Nope. All partitions are assigned on my drives. Remember, I have numerous operating systems on this main system (7); each with separate / and /home partitions. I would need an external drive to do Clonezilla, I'm afraid.

Ugh, understood

V.T. Eric Layton

Ah, well... borking up during these upgrades doesn't affect my /home partition. Besides, I have backups of that. And a fresh /etc backup before each upgrade attempt has saved my posterior a few times this last week. Reinstalling without messing w/ /home and having an /etc backup makes it pretty easy. I just have to add back my manually installed apps, but that's easy too. They're all in a directory on an archive drive. I just go there and...

# installpkg *.t?z

... and it installs them all in a matter of minutes. Since I have my /home entact and a backup /etc, I don't lose any personal settings or configs. It's the next best way to Clonezilla. :)

securitybreach

Ah, well... borking up during these upgrades doesn't affect my /home partition. Besides, I have backups of that. And a fresh /etc backup before each upgrade attempt has saved my posterior a few times this last week. Reinstalling without messing w/ /home and having an /etc backup makes it pretty easy. I just have to add back my manually installed apps, but that's easy too. They're all in a directory on an archive drive. I just go there and...

# installpkg *.t?z

... and it installs them all in a matter of minutes. Since I have my /home entact and a backup /etc, I don't lose any personal settings or configs. It's the next best way to Clonezilla. :)

Pretty nice method :thumbup:

I do not have all of my apps backed up but I do run a script to give me a list of all my packages and then install the from the file with pacman. I also have my /etc backed up to github every two days using crontab and I have a seprate /home partition with most of it backed up daily to an external drive.

So basically I have sort of the same setup as yourself except I have to fetch my packages from the net instead of a local install. Although I guess I could reinstall them using /var/cache/pacman/pkg if I did not clear the directory. ;)

B)

V.T. Eric Layton

OK, here we go...

I'm typing this from my laptop while watching my main system download and install updates for Current.

*fingers crossed... and toes* :yes:

V.T. Eric Layton

I'm up and running Slack Current on the main system. There are some bugs, though...

• Thunar is displaying unmounted volumes

- in the tree view in the left frame, it is displaying all the partitions on all of my drives (very annoying). Arch did this too when it first upgraded to Xfce 4.10. It's since been fixed by an update or something, though

• automounting not working anymore

- I have no automounting of USB, floppy, ZIP, or CD/DVDs. I just recently had this happen in Arch. I'm going to have to snoop around and find out what changed and what's causing this now.

• Xfce menu is all borked up (on shop and laptop too)

- the main menu now has numerous duplicated top level categories and some duplicated menu items. It's as though the old version and new version were merged in the menu. This is probably just a menu editing chore, which really is a chore in Xfce, unfortunately. That's one thing I miss about Gnome 2.x. Menu editing was a breeze there... click and type. In Xfce, it's a matter of editing menu config files. I have to find them. I don't even know where they are in 4.10.
:(

Other than the above, everything else seems to be stable... for the moment. ;)

V.T. Eric Layton

I appreciate your faith in my abilities. Wish I was as confident in them myself. ;)

I managed to fixed the boogered up main Xfce menu. I had to add "NoDisplay=1" to the bottoms of the .desktop files in /usr/share/applications for the entries that I didn't want displayed in the menu.

While trying to gftp into my laptop from my main system to copy over the newly modified "applications" directory mentioned above, I found that I cannot ftp from main --> laptop as user or root. :( However, I can ftp from laptop --> main, but gftp kept disconnecting when I tried to transfer a file. ARRRRRRRGH!

Still working on the automounting and unmounted displayed volumes in thunar.

V.T. Eric Layton

Yet, due to my anal-compulsive nature, it's difficult for me to walk away sometimes. I'm in here again today tweaking and hacking. ;)

securitybreach

Yet, due to my anal-compulsive nature, it's difficult for me to walk away sometimes. I'm in here again today tweaking and hacking. ;)

Yeah I was going to suggest that you keep hacking at it as most of my breakthroughs have been after many days into a project. B)

V.T. Eric Layton

I'm whittling away...

ISSUES (main, laptop, and shop systems)

• Thunar displaying unmounted volumes - active
  • no auto-mounting of removable media - active
  • corrupted Xfce main menu - fixed
    • edited .desktop files in /usr/share/applications to add "NoDisplay=1" at bottom of text file for each menu entry to hide

[*]segmentation fault when running gpa --> file manager - fixed

• there is a documented bug in gpa v0.9.2
    • reverted to Slack 13.37 version of gpa (v0.7.5)

[*]no ftp from main --> laptop - active

• discovered this yesterday - requires more testing

[*]unused applications - fixed

• ran slackpkg clean-system to remove HAL, older Xfce version, and other miscellaneous obsolete/unused apps

[*]power management - fixed

• switched from xscreensaver power manager to Xfce power manager

I've done all this on the main system. only. I'm going to ssh into the laptop and the shop to fix what I can in there right now.

V.T. Eric Layton

***UPDATES***

ISSUES (main, laptop, and shop systems)

• Thunar displaying unmounted volumes - low priority
    • this is still an issue, but I'm putting it on hold for the time being

[*]no auto-mounting of removable media - low priority

• same for this... on hold for the time being

[*]corrupted Xfce main menu - fixed

• edited .desktop files in /usr/share/applications to add "NoDisplay=1" at bottom of text file for each menu entry to hide

[*]segmentation fault when running gpa --> file manager - fixed

• there is a documented bug in gpa v0.9.2
    • reverted to Slack 13.37 version of gpa (v0.7.5)

[*]no ftp from main --> laptop - fixed

• it was just a stupid mistake on my part - had gftp set to ftp instead of sshd :(

[*]unused applications - fixed

• ran slackpkg clean-system to remove HAL, older Xfce version, and other miscellaneous obsolete/unused apps

[*]power management - fixed

• switched from xscreensaver power manager to Xfce power manager

So basically, all is well in my Slackworld. The issue with Thunar displaying unmounted volumes and my loss of automounting is being temporarily set aside due mostly to the fact that I installed a neat little file manager called Xfe (X File Explorer). It ain't as pretty as Thunar, but it doesn't show my unmounted volumes and it has the next best thing to automounting... one click mounting. It's pretty cool. Lots of other neat features too. I could get to like this little app.

NEW ISSUE

• I wanted to take a screenie for you, but just found out my xfce4-screenshooter not working (it was earlier today)
    • it returns this error from the command line --> error while loading shared libraries: libxfce4util.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    • I checked... no lib called that. I have a libxfce4util.so.6, though.
    • I have a feeling that installing Xfe modified this lib somehow - more debugging. :(

I'm finished for now, though.

V.T. Eric Layton

No need. I fixed it.

I checked the /usr/lib64 directory and found there were two symlinks to libxfce4util.so.6.0.0. One sym was libxfce4util.so and the other was libxfce4util.so.6. Unfortunately, xfce4-screenshooter was looking for libxfce4util.so.4, so I gave it one. ;) I created a symlink to the actual libxfce4util.so.6.0.0 file called libxfce4util.so.4. Simple solutions actually work sometimes. This one did. :yes:

So, here's that screenie of Xfe:

slackshotcurrentxfe.th.png

Here's one of Thunar with all the unmounted volumes showing in the treeview on the left pane:

slackshotcurrentthunar.th.png

I have Dolphin set to show all volumes and kinda like it that way. There are several that I access only occasionally which I just have to click on in the panel to mount (if permissions allow). Then I don't have quite as many as you. :)

V.T. Eric Layton

I'm not geeky enough to figure out how to use that place properly, I don't think. Something else to research when I have the time. :)