How I Converted My Arch to 100% Systemd or...

V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Ok, I added init=/bin/systemd to my grub kernel line.

You don't need this when running pure systemd. You only need it for a hybird inits/systemd set up.

You are amazing!

How could it be that simple?

It probably isn't the "right way" to fix it... but it worked. ;)

securitybreach

Did you enable netcfg.service? I can't remember reading above whether you did or not and I'm too lazy to look...

# systemctl enable netcfg.service

Also, some reading:

I had but for some reason I had both netcfg@.service and netcfg.service enabled. After disabling netcfg.service:

systemctl disable netcfg@.service

I am clear of errors (unless you count the left over(?) services that do not get loaded):

╔═ comhack@Cerberus 03:39 PM 
╚═══ ~->su
Password: 
[root@Cerberus comhack]# systemctl --failed
UNIT LOAD   ACTIVE SUB JOB DESCRIPTION

LOAD   = Reflects whether the unit definition was properly loaded.
ACTIVE = The high-level unit activation state, i.e. generalization of SUB.
SUB    = The low-level unit activation state, values depend on unit type.
JOB    = Pending job for the unit.

0 units listed. Pass --all to see inactive units, too.

You don't need this when running pure systemd. You only need it for a hybird inits/systemd set up.

It probably isn't the "right way" to fix it... but it worked. ;)

Thanks and actually, that is the correct way to do it ;) https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Netcfg#systemd_support

securitybreach

Also, it has been said that systemd boots faster but I think it is actually booting slower than previously on my system. I will have to look into that later as I am tired of messing with systemd right now. :sweatingbullets: :hmm:

V.T. Eric Layton

When I said about it not being the correct way, I was talking about how I fixed the display manager error (see above), not netcfg. :)

Anywho... THAT was a FUN brainstorming session; productive, too. I fixed the last two bugs on my pure systemd Arch installation. EXCELLENT!

I have to go do some grocery shopping now... if I want to eat later, anyway. ;)

See ya'...

securitybreach

(Optional) If you want a pure systemd setup you can remove initscripts and sysvinit, and install systemd-sysvcompat which provides symlinks for init, reboot etc. You will then not have to specify the init= parameter on your kernel cmdline.

Yup, I had already done that :thumbsup:

I'm amazing sometimes...

The error in dmesg was stating that there was no such file or directory, so I made one. ;)

In /usr/lib/systemd/system, create an empty file called "display-manager.service". Reboot. All better now. :)

Ha, I missed that part. Excellent :thumbup:

V.T. Eric Layton

Did you do what I posted about above to solve the display-manager.service error?

By the way, Louis (Steel) and Bruno would be proud of us, huh? :w00t:

Ha, I missed that part. Excellent :thumbup:

COOL! I'm outta' here.

Later...

securitybreach

So it seems like all of the errors from the services I didn't start just needed the appropriate file in /usr/lib/systemd/system. EX:

[root@Cerberus system]# touch /usr/lib/systemd/system/plymouth-start.service

Then I disabled them as well even though they were not autostarting:

[root@Cerberus system]# systemctl disable /usr/lib/systemd/system/plymouth-start.service

[root@Cerberus system]# systemctl -a | grep failed
[root@Cerberus system]# systemctl -a | grep error
[root@Cerberus system]# 

and the whole list here:

╔═ comhack@Cerberus 04:29 PM

╚═══ ~->systemctl -a > systemctl-output

╔═ comhack@Cerberus 04:31 PM

╚═══ ~->pastebinit systemctl-output

http://pastebin.com/RvNQaXhJ

Are you two ready to take on the challenge of moving the rest of us through the minefield?

I have two Arch installs. The dual-boot laptop with a pretty fresh install. And the old desktop which has been experiencing weird problems with graphics and Flash for several months. (Never enough to make it worth a re-install.)

securitybreach

Are you two ready to take on the challenge of moving the rest of us through the minefield?

I have two Arch installs. The dual-boot laptop with a pretty fresh install. And the old desktop which has been experiencing weird problems with graphics and Flash for several months. (Never enough to make it worth a re-install.)

Um not quite..... Basically I just used Eric's method (via this thread) and read the wiki entry for systemd and netcfg.

V.T. Eric Layton

Woo-hoo! We're all just flying by the seat of our pants. Follow this thread and the links I posted initially. I won't be far away if you bork it up. ;)

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

It was originally 800 X 100 and the board truncated it to 540 X 82. I reduced the source image to 600 X 92, but it's still being truncated. :(

And now you look marvelous!

It might be me, I will start reading up on all the steps you have taken and the links mentioned so I am ready.

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

Yes, read all that stuff I linked to in the first post here. It was helpful to me. Read "The H" articles about systemd, too... very informative. :)

• Like 1

OK, experts. Here we go!

From Eric's post #4 this thread

1) Install systemd from core using pacman:

#pacman -S systemd

2) I intend to run pure systemd, so I won't need to append my kernel line with "init=/bin/systemd" to get systemd to load at boot.

3) Installed via pacman: python2-dbus, python2-cairo, systemd-arch-units, systemd-sysvcompat (must remove sysvinit).

4) Removed initscripts.

5) Create the following files:

https://wiki.archlin...iguration_files

6) Cross fingers and reboot.

Reboots fine, right to the command prompt at (tty1). I can login with username and password just fine but no go on startx.

startx is looking for stuff using xinitrc file and then referencing stuff in the /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d directory, but there is nothing there.

Any ideas?

Got it. Way down in the wiki.

Running DEs under systemd

Using display manager

To enable graphical login, run your preferred Display Manager daemon (e.g. KDM). At the moment, service files exist for GDM, KDM, SLiM, XDM and LXDM.

# systemctl enable kdm.service

That solves the startx problem.

I wonder if there is someplace that lists all the names of the services one can choose from.

I tried to do

# systemctl enable dhcpd.service

and got and error saying no such thing. So obviously it is named something else or is not needed.

EDIT: Not needed, dhcp just works without being a .service unit. Still wondering about a list of supported .service units. Looking....

Edited by amenditman