SRWare Iron: The Browser of the future

abarbarian

Hmmmm I made the update and lost all of me bookmarks and settings and stuff. I was using the portable version though. Tried replacing new folders with ones from the old install but no dice. Messed up somewhere as I ended up with a empty Iron folder and I had for some inexplicable reason emptied the trash. So no Iron at all. Re downloaded and it seems to run ok. I'll keep it for occasional use at the moment as I'm too busy to explore and set it up for full time use.

If you right click at the top of the screen you can access Task Manager, click on "Stats for nerds" and a web page opens with all sorts of funky stats. An if you have FF open at the same time you can get comparison stats. Now how cool and geeky is that. :whistling:

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• securitybreach

• Tushman

• réjean

• V.T. Eric Layton

securitybreach
If you right click at the top of the screen you can access Task Manager, click on "Stats for nerds" and a web page opens with all sorts of funky stats. An if you have FF open at the same time you can get comparison stats. Now how cool and geeky is that. :whistling:

Very cool, thanks for the tip :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...
Cluttermagnet

I just downloaded and tried to install their 64 bit Debian package. Got an error message that said (paraphrasing):

Wrong architecture- for AMD

I have an Intel processor. :unsure:

Edited by Cluttermagnet

securitybreach
I just downloaded and tried to install their 64 bit Debian package. Got an error message that said (paraphrasing):

I have an Intel processor. :unsure:

AMD probably meant AMD64 which is the architecture for x86_64.

Cluttermagnet
AMD probably meant AMD64 which is the architecture for x86_64.

Wish I could say I understand that comment. "x86_64" sounds like something that should work on my Intel processor- yes? The installer in Ubuntu choked on this software package which was of the type .deb- IMO it should have been the right software. This is a 64 bit machine I was attempting to install to, but no, it doesn't have an AMD processor. That should make a difference? I'm very confused... :unsure:

securitybreach
"AMD64" is the name chosen by AMD for their 64-bit extension to the Intel x86 instruction set. Before release, it was called "x86-64" or "x86_64", and some distributions still use these names. Intel refers to its AMD64 implementation as "Intel64" previously named "EM64T". The architecture is AMD64-compatible and Debian AMD64 will run on AMD and Intel processors with 64-bit support. Because of the technology paternity, Debian uses the name "AMD64".

http://wiki.debian.org/DebianAMD64Faq

AMD licensed its x86-64 design to Intel,[citation needed] where it is marketed under the name Intel 64. As Intel licenses AMD the right to use the original x86 architecture (upon which AMD's x86-64 is based), these rival companies now rely on each other for 64-bit processor development.[61][not in citation given] Should this agreement collapse, AMD would no longer be authorized to produce any x86 processors, and Intel would no longer be authorized to produce x86-64 processors, forcing it back to the x86 architecture. However, the agreement[62] provides that if one party breaches the agreement, it loses all rights to the other party's technology, while the other party receives perpetual rights to all licensed technology.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86-64#Legal_issues along with the paragraph above this quote.

• 2 weeks later...
Cluttermagnet

"D'oh!" (slaps self in forehead)

Ahhh, I have a 64 bit machine here. I think I have a 32 bit Ubuntu installed on here. D'oh!

I'm starting to remember. I'll have to check back. Can't figure out where in the computer

it would tell me if I have 32 or 64 bit- but I'm pretty sure it was 32 bit.

So obviously if I download the 32 bit version of SRWare Iron, it will install.

Never mind... :"> It was late at night...

Cluttermagnet

Posted from SRWare Iron Browser 32 bit. It has ads at the top. I need to learn now about extensions for chrome, I guess. Thanks, guys. :thumbsup:

Guest LilBambi

Yes, Adblock Plus for Chrome is great! WOT, NotScripts, and FlashBlock are nice in Chrome too.

I use them in Google Chrome. Seemed to me some of the Chrome Extensions work in SRWare Iron and some don't or aren't offered in their Extension library.

What is the correct procedure then? If it's not in the SRWare Iron extension library then go to the Google Chrome extensions library?

securitybreach
If it's not in the SRWare Iron extension library then go to the Google Chrome extensions library?

Correct :thumbsup:

I just open the chrome extension library anyway when installing extensions on Iron.

Yes, Adblock Plus for Chrome is great! WOT, NotScripts, and FlashBlock are nice in Chrome too.

I use them in Google Chrome. Seemed to me some of the Chrome Extensions work in SRWare Iron and some don't or aren't offered in their Extension library.

What is the correct procedure then? If it's not in the SRWare Iron extension library then go to the Google Chrome extensions library?

Iron is supposed to be 100% compatible with all Chrome extensions.

Edited by amenditman

Hi all and happy new year to everyone!

I don't know what I am doing wrong because I haven't been able to install ( that I have done ) and run Iron in any distro so far.

I download the .tar.gz file, create a folder in my /home directory, move the file there and extract the files. It creates a new subfolder ( as you can see ) but when I click on the ' iron ' icon I get the following message;

screenshotstm.th.png.

I don't want to steal the thread but some explanation would be welcome.

I download the .tar.gz file, create a folder in my /home directory, move the file there and extract the files. It creates a new subfolder ( as you can see ) but when I click on the ' iron ' icon I get the following message;

I don't want to steal the thread but some explanation would be welcome.

réjean, you are 'clicking' on the wrong file. When you say that you click on the Iron icon, do you realize that you're clicking on the program icon? Look at the file extension, it says *.PNG. What you need to do is navigate to the resources folder and inside that, you should see iron.exe or similar.

Nevermind, I was wrong. The actual program executable is inside the root folder of where your extracted the contents. So in your screenshot, the file that says "iron" (not product logo.png) should the correct file to launch.

Edited by Tushman

that's the one I assume is the launcher. Mind you I look everywhere else and tried every other icon but none worked. I just tried downloading and installing the .deb -32 bit file and still the same.

So I am actually in as 'root' and I downloaded and installed the -64 bit and same old same old.

Edited by réjean

Cluttermagnet

Thanks, Fran-

I've installed AdBlock Plus and FlashBlock so far. Aljhough NotScripts sounds very desirable, it sounds a little complicated to set up and I can't find clear directions so far as how and where one would migrate to to diddle with passwords etc. Could use a few pointers here, I guess. I feel absolutely naked on the net running Firefox without NoScript, so I really do want to figure out what is needed to install and understand this other extension.

Pleasse elaborate on what WOT is and why you think it's important. I'm sure it is, I just don't yet get it- how does it work, why is it desirable, what sort of malware is it protecting against, etc.

Thanks, Clutter

(Sent from SRWare Iron 32bit)

Guest LilBambi
that's the one I assume is the launcher. Mind you I look everywhere else and tried every other icon but none worked. I just tried downloading and installing the .deb -32 bit file and still the same.

So I am actually in as 'root' and I downloaded and installed the -64 bit and same old same old.

Have you made sure the file (iron) is executable and have you tried to install it as normal user? I found that when I tried to do a browser in my home, I had to be a normal user to do it. I took it as a precaution so the browser could do no damage beyond the user account. Note that was Firefox and not SRW Iron, but just making an observation.

Guest LilBambi
Thanks, Fran-

I've installed AdBlock Plus and FlashBlock so far. Aljhough NotScripts sounds very desirable, it sounds a little complicated to set up and I can't find clear directions so far as how and where one would migrate to to diddle with passwords etc. Could use a few pointers here, I guess. I feel absolutely naked on the net running Firefox without NoScript, so I really do want to figure out what is needed to install and understand this other extension.

Pleasse elaborate on what WOT is and why you think it's important. I'm sure it is, I just don't yet get it- how does it work, why is it desirable, what sort of malware is it protecting against, etc.

Thanks, Clutter

(Sent from SRWare Iron 32bit)

NotScripts works well and similar albeit different icon. I would just install it and try it out. There's nothing with passwords to worry about. It is pretty well graphically simple enough to understand as you go around to different sites just click on the brown pyramid and determine from what you see, what you want to allow or disallow, always or temp/temporarily.

WOT is just a way to determine if a site is safe, or your search results are safe. The results are Green/Safe, Yellow to Orange use caution in varying degrees, Red/Danger and Purple ? mark for we haven't looked at that site yet. You will also want to look at the rating itself by hovering over the colored circle as sometimes it's just a matter of being unsafe for kids. But it gives a general feel. Some sites, may be too strictly rated as well. But you can determine that for yourself by knowing given sites to be OK.

To me, I use it for sites I am not familiar with. To give me a rule of thumb to start from. Nothing is perfect, but it is a good starting point. If it's green, you can pretty well guarantee it's safe site. ;)

Well, I had Fran and I did it again just to make sure. This time I let Synaptic ( which I may have done previously ) install it and here is the result when I click on iron;

screenshotqjo.th.png

securitybreach
Well, I had Fran and I did it again just to make sure. This time I let Synaptic ( which I may have done previously ) install it and here is the result when I click on iron;

screenshotqjo.th.png

I think you need to extract all of the files in a directory to be able to run it.

securitybreach
Did that help réjean? Were there files that hadn't been extracted?

Well looking at his image it looks like he was clicking the executable inside the archive (file-roller?).

Guest LilBambi

Whoa! Missed that entirely! Sure is.

Need to use the Extract button after highlighting all files/folders in the archive and then run it after they are extracted to a folder.

Great catch there Josh! :thumbsup:

V.T. Eric Layton

I really need to put down the books I've been reading and the PC games I've been playing (Deus Ex Human Revolution ;) ) and check out this browser. It looks interesting.

securitybreach
I really need to put down the books I've been reading and the PC games I've been playing (Deus Ex Human Revolution ;) ) and check out this browser. It looks interesting.

It is :thumbsup:

If you've already tried out or used Google Chrome, there isn't any visual difference other than the program icon. The changes are all under the hood so to speak. Both browsers are very fast and renders pages nicely. I would stick with the books & Deus Ex HR both are far more interesting. :D

Edited by Tushman

securitybreach

Well Eric tries to keep away from Google owned stuff but Iron has all the tracking crap stripped out of it so he may enjoy it.