• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• havnblast

• Corrine

• ross549

• longgone

Guest Paracelsus
Wow, from 101 top rated Christmas songs of all time to Jimi Hendrix! LOL! Yes, he did a 'smashing' job on the stage.  :w00t:
Sorry, Fran...The link you posted didn't load properly for me (at first) and all I saw was the the "... Buddy Holly" album in the upper left corner. Needless to say... That link led to a "Whooooooole Different Thang" :lol: So...What's everyone up to the weekend before?? Inquiring Minds Want to Know :whistling: Got all my Christmas shopping done (90+%, Online) already. Just a few Amazon gift certificates and e-cards left to do. Plum Pudding was done last weekend. Being kept moist during the interim with frequent and generous libations of Frangelico :lol: This weekend is Pecan Pies and cookies... Oatmeal/Raisin; Peanut Butter & Gingerbread (Anyone wanting nasty ol' Chocolate Chip better bring their own :lol: )Corrine: I forgot that you asked about Gravy from Roux. As I've never used a recipe for this, I'm not sure what to tell you.You already know how to make a roux?It's always better done with Turkey drippings. But since the bird ain't done yet...I start with a good Olive Oil that is suitable for frying (NOT Extra Virgin) in a heavy Cast Iron Skillet and then add Flour until the mixture is just shy of "pasty".I cook for a long time over a low heat, stirring frequently. (I spend most of Christmas Day in the kitchen anyway, so this is not problem. Just me... My sister Marianne... and couple of bottles of Champagne. :lol: )I prefer a "Chocolate" roux for gravy... so the roux cooks until it is very dark and starts to smell like toasted nuts. And it will!! Strange but true. The oil may start to separate a bit from the flour but that isn't a problem.It takes 3Tbs of Chocolate roux to = the thickening ability of 1Tbs of "Blond" roux.So I always add a bit more flour at the end of the roux process. Just enough to re-incorporate the oil.At the same time I start the roux, I have a large Sauce Pan with equal parts of Water; White Wine (Champagne if you like) and raw pressed, unpasteurized Apple Cider.Into this I add the Giblets, including the neck. (If you can get extra giblets, so much the better).Simmer these for at least an hour with salt & pepper to taste. Continue to add the liquid of your choice ;) , to keep the volume you will want for the gravy.As the giblets near completion... Add whatever herbs (fresh or dry) you like.(I tend to be an "Herb Fiend" :lol: ... So don't ask for what ones or amounts)Take out the Giblets when done, and mince finely. Use a fork to scrape meat off of the Neck. (It's worth the trouble). Now...Giving yourself a Sauce Pan able to accommodate the Giblet water (and I use the term "water" loosely), transfer the roux and minced giblets to this pan.Bring to a medium high heat (should hear some sizzling).Slowly to start to incorporate the liquid... whisking furiously all the while.Simmer until you attain the consistency you prefer. Just remember...Gravy continues to thicken as it cools. So it's better to start with one that might look a bit soupy. But if it starts to get too thick??...Just whisk in a bit more of your preferred "liquid". Did I mention Champagne & Cider?? :lol: That's basically all there is to it. "Bon Appétit"

What's everyone up to the weekend before??  Inquiring Minds Want to Know ;)
Well, for me the baking begins today. Kourabiedes- better known as greek wedding cookies. (Shortbread covered with confectioners sugar)Melomakarona- Cookies stuffed with walnuts, then boiled in honey syrup.Chocolate Chips- B) And of course Baklava on Tuesday. I hated it when I was a kid, now I can't wait to get my hands on it.If theres time we do something called Galactoboureko , basically Baklava with a Farina custard filling instead of walnuts.I'm one of those people who wait to do 70% of their shopping a couple days before christmas. I guess I enjoy the rush. B)

Guest Paracelsus

Baklava with Custard?? I'm drooling!!! at the thought. As far as not liking it as a Kid...Honey requires more "Sophisticated" taste buds to appreciate ;)

Paracelsus -- Unpasteurized Apple Cider! Unless you make it yourself, I don't think you can get it around here. But that sounds absolutely incredible! You and NRD are making me hungry!My shopping is done -- but the wrapping hasn't started yet. I have extra time to get the wrapping done since my grandgirls and their parents will be in Minnesota over Christmas visiting their Greatgrandmother. Christmas Eve will be quiet this year with just us, our son & his girl (who also celebrates her birthday on Christmas).

Time to bump this back up to the top since the Holidays are here! Except for the holobtsi (stuffed cabbage) which I'll make tomorrow, the traditional foods are all ready for Christmas Eve. We'll have Kutia (to remember ancestors), fish course (to remember early Christians) and Borsch, varenyky, and holobtsi -- must have something to do with Ukrainians! We're forgoing the torte this year and sticking with Medyvnyk (honey cake) and plum platsuk (sort of a deep dish pie) (Paracelsus, please note, unlike plum pudding, I use real, home grown plums in my Christmas platsuk! :blink: ) Wishing everyone a very Merry Christmas!

Guest Paracelsus

Sounds YUMMY!!, Corrine o:) You're fortunate to have a Plum Tree.The first house I rented when I lived in California (circa '82) had a Plum tree in the back yard. I could hardly believe how delicious really fresh plums are. You just can't anything like them in the stores.

Guest Paracelsus

Ho-Ho-Ho...One more to go. (Unless you're Eastern Orthodox... In which case, Christmas hasn't come yet B) ) Anyway...Anyone have any Yummy, New Year's (Eve or Day) food Traditions to share?? (Other than sucking down enough Champagne to float an Aircraft Carrier. That goes without saying B) B) )On New Year's Eve, our family always has Oyster Stew. This came from Mother's side, and I have no idea if there is/was any significance to it. Her family was from South Jersey, which isn't too far from the Chesapeake.New Year's Day... it's a Pork Loin roast, roasted with Apples and smothered with tons of Sauerkraut. This is from Father's side... Which I could never understand, since his family is almost 100% Scots-Irish. This dish always seemed more German of Polish, to me. But it tastes good, especially with the apples. B)

In this area of PA, it has to be pork, sauerkraut, and mashed potatoes if you want good luck and health in the coming year. Lots of firehalls, restaurants and churches have pork and sauerkraut dinners on New Year's Day. I make my pork roast with sauerkraut, apples, onions, and garlic in the crock pot cooking it over night. It's heavenly waking up on New year's Day to the smell of roast pork. (I guess if you drink too much on New Year's Eve that might not be a good thing).

Guest Paracelsus
In this area of PA, it has to be pork, sauerkraut, and mashed potatoes if you want good luck and health in the coming year. Lots of firehalls, restaurants and churches have pork and sauerkraut dinners on New Year's Day. I make my pork roast with sauerkraut, apples, onions, and garlic in the crock pot cooking it over night. It's heavenly waking up on New year's Day to the smell of roast pork. (I guess if you drink too much on New Year's Eve that might not be a good thing).
Interesting you should say this, Zlim! :D Western PA, by any chance?? My Father's family was originally in the Homer City & Blairsville area. And he always did claim the dish was for "Good Luck". We lived in Indiana, PA, from the mid '40's to mid '60's. We lived about 5 miles outside of town, so with the usual snow fall that time of year, didn't do a lot of socializing around the Holidays. I guess I just never gave much thought to what other folks in the area eat on New Year's. (And I forgot to mention the mashed potatoes :rolleyes: )So this is beginning to look like a Pennsylvania Tradition.Any other "Keystoners" out there, with some insight on this??

• 9 months later...
Guest Paracelsus

I know it's only mid-October....But Holidays have a way of sneaking up on us. So I though it was a good time to bring this thread back to the top... especially for the newer folks here at SNLF.BTW...I finally found a good source of Chestnuts, and already placed four 20lb orders. (Three gifts, and one for me B) ) :Allen Creek FarmSo come share your Holiday Traditions with the rest of us...But please make sure to add recipe offerings HERE where you'll find the World's Best Plum Pudding ;)

since my wife and i raised seven children and now they are continuing with the same family tradition i started . i will be happy to share it . along about the end of november i set up a small tree in our home just a little one ( about 2 or 3 feet ) to kind of prime us for the season . i decorate it with a string or two of lights and the rest with whatever candy ornaments i can find :drooling: including of course plenty of candy canes . it is understood that the children will be good and not " STEAL :pirate: :devil: " the ornaments until christmas day. well the tree has never made it till christmas day with anything but lights left on it . :'( :P but noone has ever admitted or seen anyone else remove anything from the CANDY TREE so we finally guessed it must be the christmas elves and fairies that stripped it :happyroll: o:) :whistling: o:) :whistling:

• 1 month later...
Guest Paracelsus

Just thought I'd pop this one back to the top. :PI need to dig out all my Mediæval, Renaissance, and Baroque Christmas music this weekend so I'll have them ready for the plane ride to San Diego on the 20th :thumbsup:I decided to splurge, since I haven't traveled in quite a while, and cashed in a bunch of my AA frequent flier miles for a round trip 1st class :DHopefully...I won't get the same 300lb guy who came to the airport in his jogging sweats and smells like he hasn't bathed for week, they always seat next to me when I fly coach. :lol: :medic:BTW...Anyone seen George lately? :D

:lol: ........... San Diego ... weather is fine now ... and where is that holiday spirit ..
I won't get the same 300lb guy who came to the airport in his jogging sweats and smells like he hasn't bathed for week, they always seat next to me when I fly coach. thumbdown.gif stretcher.gif

Guest Paracelsus
and  where is that holiday spirit ..
You're right Dale!That wasn't very charitable of me. But WHY does he always have to be next to ME!?!?Is he my "GA"... Testing my "Humanity"???Stewardess!!...Two more Bacardi and Coke, please!!(Sorry, Dave & George... No Pussers on "American Airlines") :thumbsup:

:D :) ............... because it was either sit next to the nice gentleman in 6W (window) you, or the hideous, obnoxious drunk in 10A (aisle) .... ;) ;) :thumbsup: ... and the flight attendant has just informed us that you have already had your maximum allocation of alcholic beverages ... :thumbsup: :lol:

Guest Paracelsus
... and the flight attendant has just informed us that you have already had your maximum allocation of alcholic beverages ...
NNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :thumbsup: :'(I always thought that was like.... Purgatory.And I am Not Nice :thumbsdown:I may not always travel with LabRat (especially when he's attending Anarchist Conventions)...But he doesn't trust me or Tio Franco to voyage on our own. :thumbsup:(Pass the Pussers, Please)

Jumping back to the Holidays - The tree is up and the xmas mp3s are a playing. Co-workers are bringing in festival goodies for everyone and the office is all decorated.Must be time to do the dreaded xmas shopping again - xmas would be the best holiday of the year if I didn't have to shop.

That's why my shopping is done. I hate going to the stores after Thanksgiving. I only go in for a really good sale. Good thing there is on-line shopping. :) We are doing more of a "Skipping Christmas" theme this year. I am not getting a single box of Christmas decorations out this year. We purchased a little two feet tall tree (fake) and mini decorations to decorate it. We keep Christmas lights up year around going up the inside stairwell and are plugging them in. The Christmas Carousel stays up year around as well. I picked up our annual poinsettta and we are set. We forgot the part about skipping Christmas presents. I don't know how they will all fit in the car to go to Missouri but we will make it. I always say we are going to cut back this year and it never happens. :blink: This year my undoing was all the electronic sales which each store trying to outdo the other in bargains. :)