• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• V.T. Eric Layton

• securitybreach

• zlim

• burninbush

V.T. Eric Layton

Sadly, I still don't know why the usual method for installing doesn't work. Oh, and I did finally try it on Win 7. It still didn't write to the flash's mbr properly. :thumbsup:

Congratulations! :) You are like me...you keep plugging away trying to get something to work. (stubborn or persistent, depending on who is viewing what you are working on)

V.T. Eric Layton

I didn't really figure it out. I just found a work-around. But hey... it's working. That's the important thing for me at the moment. :)

6. As root in the terminal, navigated to the /boot directory on the thumb drive and performed the following:CODE# chmod +x bootinst.sh# ./bootinst.sh7. The above commands make the bootinst.sh executable and runs it; writing the necessary boot info into the thumb drive's MBR. >Eric++++++++++++Great that you finally got it to go. I have a bunch of distros up here, but spend most of my time using Slax. That module system is a real winner. The requirement above is curious -- bootinst.sh is already executable in the iso file. How is this different from what you were doing before? What format did you finally use on the usbstick?

V.T. Eric Layton

I read somewhere to chmod bootinst.sh. I don't even remember where I read it. What I did differently was that I did NOT untar SLAX archive directly to the flash drive from within Slackware or Windows. I actually burned the .iso of SLAX to a CD and booted it. Once I was within SLAX, I copied the /boot and /slax directories right from the CD (not he downloaded .tar file). When I ran bootinst.sh from within SLAX, it actually gave an output like it did something. Previously, it never did that.

I read somewhere to chmod bootinst.sh. I don't even remember where I read it.
I asked about what format you used on the usbstick for a reason -- the default install script attempts to save changes on the usbstick [changes=/slax], and many people have had problems with that when running on a vfat filesystem***; the easy fix is to use a slaxsave.dat container file instead. Just unzip one of the size you like from the slaxsave.zip file. Check the slax.cfg file on your usbstick to see how yours is configured. Or, you can just remove that changes= statement. *** because of linux permissions and file attributes, storing something like a linux link on vfat requires the use of posix overlay -- which is buggy.

I read somewhere to chmod bootinst.sh. I don't even remember where I read it. What I did differently was that I did NOT untar SLAX archive directly to the flash drive from within Slackware or Windows. I actually burned the .iso of SLAX to a CD and booted it. Once I was within SLAX, I copied the /boot and /slax directories right from the CD (not he downloaded .tar file). When I ran bootinst.sh from within SLAX, it actually gave an output like it did something. Previously, it never did that.
Eric,1. I assumed you could do it from slackware2. I did mention that you had to cd to /boot in your usb drive:
mkdir -p /mnt/isomount -o loop slax_some_version.iso /mnt/isomkdir -p /mnt/sdb1mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/sdb1cd /mnt/isocp -R * /mnt/sdb1sync

cd /mnt/sdb1/boot./bootinst.sh

V.T. Eric Layton

I believe I tried all the previous methods that everyone suggested in this thread, including yours, Von. I tried them on three different thumb drives, from within three different operating systems, on two different machines. Nothing worked till I did it this last way.Oh, and FAT16 is the FS on the thumb drive.This was so simple the last two times I installed SLAX on this thumb drive. It didn't want to be simple this time, though. I don't know what's different this time... other than the version of SLAX.http://www.lockergnome.com/nocturnalslacke...slax-goes-awry/