RAM Upgrade Failure

amenditman

So it did turn out to be a hardware issue, but it was with the new RAM rather than with the sockets? Did he at least leave the new MB in your machine? Glad you've been getting what seems to be excellent service all the way around on this issue!You should take the time to send a quick note complimenting those folks on their promptness and professionalism. Don't mention the Knoppix though...
Crazy problem,huh.Service above and beyond.Good idea about letting them know I was impressed with the service and tech.What is 'Knoppix'? I'm confused by all these mentions of a non-existant topic.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amenditman

• securitybreach

• ChipDoc

• Urmas

What Knoppix CD, I said he put in a 'blank' CD.
Okay...color me confused.What was that supposed to isolate if anything?And couldn't the same be achieved without a cd at all?

securitybreach
He puts his 'blank' CD in the drive and tries to boot into Knoppix (not IBM authorized tech tool). Same problem, memory errors.
That is what I was talking about.

Service above and beyond.Good idea about letting them know I was impressed with the service and tech.
I worked in a similar environment for a couple of years after I was laid off. It can be particularly soul-killing, but a note of praise from a customer will REALLY make a difference in their day.And of course the CD was blank - he would have been fired for using Knoppix.

And probably ready to be broken in half should a supervisor turn up unexpectedly... ;)
You really do work in corporate IT, don't you.I, on the other hand, work independently in IT. Lower paycheck, no benefits, no supervisor looking over my shoulder. Less BS.

There are many different kinds of corporate IT. At the moment, I'm in a pretty good situation. There aren't any bennies, but the pay is good and the people I work with are excellent. I'm sitting here with my laptop hooked up to the corporate network and it's cool - my JOB is to be here to fix things when they break and (within reason) they don't really care how I keep myself entertained while I wait.But before this I worked in one of those corporate IT hells. I had a pretty good time since I worked the overnight shift, but the pay was abysmal, there were no bennies, and everyone was on the knife edge of getting fired. In fact I was fired myself one bright July morning for something which empirically did not happen. Though I was upset at the time, they did me a favor. Particularly in this market I would NEVER have walked away from a job, but if I were still working there, I'd never have gotten the job I have now.And since I don't work independently, I don't have to be constantly hustling for work and keeping customers happy. I've worked for myself. It has its moments, but I really don't mind having a place to go every day.

I'm sitting here with my laptop hooked up to the corporate network and it's cool - my JOB is to be here to fix things when they break and (within reason) they don't really care how I keep myself entertained while I wait.
Sounds like the perfect IT job for an independent person. I cannot work in an office with the same people everyday. I just tell them what I think and they usually don't like hearing it.It's good to like your job, you spend way to much time doing it to not enjoy the work/environment.

As I've been saying for years, "Work is far too much of a pain in the neck to not be doing something you love." It's why I work in computers. In fact, I said this through 20 years of sitting in the Air Chair in a broadcasting career too.

Guest LilBambi

Ah yes...working for one's self ... has its ups and downs but it has been great for me. Although, I think in many ways I am harder on myself than a 'boss' would be.When I worked in corps, I always did best with a boss that didn't micro-manage. The control freaks always drove me nuts.The one boss that understood that I stayed for a number of years. He was a great guy. But all things come to an end and when he moved on, I stayed to finish out my decade tenure but moved on then. It has been interesting being on my own. I love the work and my clients. And with my health and my Jim's health, it has been a real blessing.

I cannot work in an office with the same people everyday. I just tell them what I think and they usually don't like hearing it.
You sound like one of them independent geeky trouble makers that run Gnu/Linux os's ;)

The smart bosses actually WANT you to disagree with them. Nothing helps you determine WHY you want something to happen better than having to defend that decision against an informed and spirited opponent.

You sound like one of them independent geeky trouble makers that run Gnu/Linux os's ;)
What the heck is a gnulinux osses? Is that some kind of a new curse word?
The smart bosses actually WANT you to disagree with them. Nothing helps you determine WHY you want something to happen better than having to defend that decision against an informed and spirited opponent.
Let me know when you start hiring, I'll stand in line to apply.

Let me know when you start hiring, I'll stand in line to apply.
Be careful what you wish for. Just think about what working for a guy who absolutely revels in arguing with you would be like... ;) On the other hand, I've long since learned that my own ideas aren't necessarily good ones and I will listen to you so long as your argument makes logical sense. And I argue from the head, not the heart - but I can be a bit... er... tenacious at times. Right, Eric? :)

securitybreach
What the heck is a gnulinux osses? Is that some kind of a new curse word?
This will help clarify it for ya http://www.gnu.org/gnu/linux-and-gnu.html
There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Be careful what you wish for. Just think about what working for a guy who absolutely revels in arguing with you would be like... :hysterical: On the other hand, I've long since learned that my own ideas aren't necessarily good ones and I will listen to you so long as your argument makes logical sense. And I argue from the head, not the heart - but I can be a bit... er... tenacious at times. Right, Eric? :hmm:
Right there with you on that. Not the revelling part. Yes on the good ideas, listen to ideas, logic, head argueing.Tenacious.. I like that description. Of course, anything is better than pig-headed, stubborn, SOB.