RAM Upgrade Failure

amenditman

Continuing my SSD and RAM upgrade expedition.When I install both 4GB SODIMM's I get a BIOS beep code for memory module or system board.I have tried each module individually and it boots just fine. However, Arch 64 bit only recognizes 3GB of the 4.The manufacturer's website, forum, and documentation say it will use 2 X 4GB modules.I looked in the BIOS and there are no options for memory other than the POST extended memory test.Any ideas?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amenditman

• securitybreach

• ChipDoc

• Urmas

securitybreach
Continuing my SSD and RAM upgrade expedition.When I install both 4GB SODIMM's I get a BIOS beep code for memory module or system board.I have tried each module individually and it boots just fine. However, Arch 64 bit only recognizes 3GB of the 4.The manufacturer's website, forum, and documentation say it will use 2 X 4GB modules.I looked in the BIOS and there are no options for memory other than the POST extended memory test.Any ideas?
When you say each one works fine by itself, do you mean you tried them in both sockets? You may have a bad dimm socket.

securitybreach

Also, you will not see above 3gb if your processor is a 32bit processor. I am just throwing out some ideals since it sounds like a hardware issue.

I only tried them individually in the A socket.The hardware support manual says a single dimm must be in the A socket.I will try that.Let you know when I'm done.Thanks

securitybreach

Well I meant as far as the troubleshooting parts to make sure that some of it is not being used by the video card, etc. How are you getting the total memory info? Are you using the info from cat /proc/meminfo or free -m?I figure you know this stuff but I am just throwing ideals out because it does not make much sense.Also, are there any bios settings for memory, maybe under Voltage or maybe an 'Enable PAE', 'Boot to 32/64Bit OS' or 'PCI Hole Granularity' option

OK, here are the results of the memory module switching tests. Module 1 = 4 GB Corsair #1Module 2 = 4 GB Corsair #2Module 3 = 2 GB OEMSINGLE MODULE TRIALSModule 1 and 2 both work in slot ANeither Module 1 or 2 work in slot BModule 3 works in slot AModule 3 does not work in slot BPAIR MODULE TRIALSModule 1 / Slot A, Module 2 / Slot B BIOS Beep fails to bootModule 1 / Slot B, Module 2 / Slot A BIOS Beep fails to bootModule 1 / Slot A, Module 3 / Slot B Boots fineModule 2 / Slot A, Module 3 / Slot B Boots fineModule 3 / Slot A, Don't care makes no difference total ramCuriousI can get 6 GB to boot, and the OS correctly registering it, but not a matching pair at 8 GB.

It's definitely hardware/firmware, not distro specific.Absolutely no memory setting of any kind on any BIOS settings screen. Lenovo customizedI used both those commands early on, but have just been using KInfoCenter in KDE since. It does give an accurate, real-time count of total and free memory.

securitybreach

Very odd. I really do not know what could be going on. What is the exact model of your machine? Wait a second do the speeds of the memory match?

Very odd. I really do not know what could be going on. What is the exact model of your machine? Wait a second do the speeds of the memory match?
Model is T400 6475-ZT6 The Lenovo support site has already told me that the pages saying only 4 GB total supported are old and from before 4 GB DIMMs were available. The laptop will support 8 GB total according to their latest tech sheets and Live tech support.The 2 new modules from Corsair are a matching pair at 1066MHzThe OEM module is also 1066MHzAll three have the same latency timings Edited by amenditman

Is their a bios update available perhaps? Sorry I have no ideal whats going on, I am searching but not finding too much.
No problem, I've been Googleing and reading all day without much luck.Bios is latest version fully updated.

I've seen this a lot and it's almost certainly a bad motherboard. During construction, they hooked up the DIMM sockets wrong. You never noticed it before because it's hooked up to handle the old amount of RAM. If it's under warranty, you can probably get it replaced, seeing as how you've already been in touch with tech support. Call them back and follow up on that ticket. Tell them what you've just typed in here. It'll be a pain, but you'll get a brand new one in the end.

And your sure, this is not a Arch-specific issue? You have tried other livecds to test it?
I ran both the Parted Magic CD and the System Rescue CD earlier, but I'm not absolutely positive that either is 64 bit.I'll run my Linux Mint 9 64 bit KDE DVD and let you know if it will boot with 8 GB.

I've seen this a lot and it's almost certainly a bad motherboard. During construction, they hooked up the DIMM sockets wrong. You never noticed it before because it's hooked up to handle the old amount of RAM. If it's under warranty, you can probably get it replaced, seeing as how you've already been in touch with tech support. Call them back and follow up on that ticket. Tell them what you've just typed in here. It'll be a pain, but you'll get a brand new one in the end.
Chip, I'll try that too, if nothing else works. I buy Lenovo because they have maintained IBM's excellent support system. It won't be much of a pain.WOW...247 posts in about 5 weeks. I'm gonna have to quit my job to keep up with you.

WOW...247 posts in about 5 weeks. I'm gonna have to quit my job to keep up with you.
Don't worry about it. I was actually unemployed for a fair chunk of that time. You don't need to quit your job. ;)

securitybreach
Chip, I'll try that too, if nothing else works. I buy Lenovo because they have maintained IBM's excellent support system. It won't be much of a pain.WOW...247 posts in about 5 weeks. I'm gonna have to quit my job to keep up with you.
Wow its been 5 weeks already. Way to go Chip ;)

securitybreach

Well at least we know it is hardware related and not distro specific. Not a good thing mind you but at least we have narrowed it down.I would look into what Chip suggested.

Chip, I can get both slots to work with various combinations of RAM, but never with the two 4 GB sticks.Only with a combination of one 2 GB stick and one 4 GB stick.How can the slot be wrong and still work like I am seeing?

I realized I had only tested the ram with the 4 GB modules in the A slot and the 2 GB module in the B slot.Never tested the other way round.As unlikely as it sounded, I decided I had nothing to lose by trying it the other way, just nothing to gain, still only 6 GB, not 8.Chip, you are right.With the 2 GB DIMM in A and the 4 GB DIMM in B....it doesn't work. I get the same beep code I get with two 4 GB DIMMs.Very weird behavior.