• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cluttermagnet

• securitybreach

• Acadia

• BillD

Yes, but one has to do it each time (or press crtl+h). I thought maybe there was an easier way to do it like there was in Kde 3 where one could set Konqueror to "remember" the settings? Guess not, huh?Clutter, I know is a nuisance, but I got into disastrous problems trying to upgrade PCLos 2009 to 2010 and keep my old home folder; of course this was a change in Kde version, but still you might do well to save your stuff and do a fresh install of the home. (If you back up your current home, you can always go back!)Thanks,Bill
If you click "View" and check "Show hidden Files," then the setting is only temporary. But if you click /Edit/Preferences and check the box, it should be permanent.

Thank you, people. When I could not find the preferences deal until I looked around a bit (but before I found lewmur's post, I found with Urmas' sledge hammer that indeed the box was checked by default, so I unchecked it, open a folder, closed it and rechecked the box, and then it worked. Logged out and back in and it still shows the hidden files. I appreciate the input. I am new to Gnome as a serious user; I was used to setting folder options in Kde 3.5 in Konqueror and when I started with Gnome in a serious way it has been a whole new world in little things like that.Bill

Edited by BillD

Cluttermagnet

Well, an interesting development here... I rebooted into Ubuntu Lucid just now and was reminded that I had seen, at the very first boot, two error messages about some errant Gnome panel applets. Leftover from my Linux Mint 6, no doubt. At that time, I had elected to delete one, not delete the other. Obviously a mistake. Now this morning I boot up and am confronted with the remaining panel applet error message once again. I delete that applet. Presto! I have 4 visible panels, the way I had left it. But then, as an experiment, I opened a 2nd instance of Firefox. I minimize it. and it's gone, I don't see it- don't see how to 'bring it back up' on screen. Bah humbug! So I guess I'll still be deleting hidden Gnome files for starters. It's still a little crazy here.BTW I once again have an unusual icon in my top panel. It is clearly Firefox related, and I think it appeared when I minimized that 2nd window. It says "Click to start dragging (name of currently open, visible window). Never seen this before. Don't understand it. Don't know what to do with it. Cannot divine its purpose. Another interesting fact- I now have regained the ability to drag the visible window by its masthead, could not do that last night. And my mouse wheel works once again. So, what do you guys think? Still a good idea to wipe out the Gnome hidden files? :rolleyes:Another weirdness going on- I show 100 percent CPU activity, but System Monitor shows NO process using anywhere near that much horsepower. What's going on? I'm going to reboot...Edit: I turn my back for a minute and the CPU usage has droped to 10-20 percent. Wha???

Edited by Cluttermagnet

Cluttermagnet
The [hidden] folders that contain [user Clutter's] Gnome stuff are:.gnome .gnome2 .gconf .gconfd .metacitySo... nuke these and see if that restores normalcy. :thumbsup:
Uh- wait a minute...I don't see any .metacity in my hidden files.All the others basically are there, although no.gnome, and I do have a gnome2_private.Clutter hesitates... :hysterical:

Cluttermagnet

I figured out what the click to drag icon is about:Click to start dragging "Application" isn't working.You can drag the Desktop 1 icon over to Desktop 2, 3, or 4 if you want. Duh.Referring here to the 4 little boxes on the right hand end of the top panel.Feature creep- cool, I suppose...Read the bleepin' release notes, I guess. :hysterical: I thought that FF icon had to do with my non- draggable window within Desktop 1,but I have regained the ability to drag it, since my original problems came up.Nope. It's about dragging FF to another desktop.

Edited by Cluttermagnet

Cluttermagnet
Uh- wait a minute...I don't see any .metacity in my hidden files.All the others basically are there, although no.gnome, and I do have a gnome2_private.Clutter hesitates... :thumbsup:
So that wounded desktop still 'loses' any window that is minimized. I have a totally empty panel at the bottom of the screen- but at least I can now see that panel. I have not taken this any further so far. The new OS install is not a joy to use at the moment.I'm not sure which hidden files to try deleting. BTW could the absense of .metacity among my hidden files be telling me something, Urmas? You expected it would be there.I could experiment, next, to see if I could drag any icons onto the bottom panel. But I am sure losing any from minimized windows, they do not end up visible anywhere, rendering those windows 'lost'.

Frank Golden
So that wounded desktop still 'loses' any window that is minimized. I have a totally empty panel at the bottom of the screen- but at least I can now see that panel. I have not taken this any further so far. The new OS install is not a joy to use at the moment.I'm not sure which hidden files to try deleting. BTW could the absense of .metacity among my hidden files be telling me something, Urmas? You expected it would be there.I could experiment, next, to see if I could drag any icons onto the bottom panel. But I am sure losing any from minimized windows, they do not end up visible anywhere, rendering those windows 'lost'.
Clutter, have you considered a reinstall with the partitioner formatting your old /home partition.I'm guessing that the Mint /home is the cause of all your problems and having the partitioner format it would start fresh.Another possibility is to simply install everything including /home on the same partition.I personally can't see the advantage of having /home on a separate partition, at least in my sitiuation.I always make and use Clonezilla images of my OS partitions, since I don't use a separate /home partition everything is included in the images.Restoring an image restores /home as well.At any rate making images is a great way to backup.

Cluttermagnet

I have some results after fiddling with hidden files. Much improvement. I deleted .gconf, .gconfd, .gnome2, and .gnome2_private. After rebooting, I saw things in the bottom panel- finally! The 4 desktop boxes were down there, and the trash can icon, and the icon to show the desktop. Now when I open a Firefox instance, a Firefox tab appears at the bottom. When I minimize the window, there is now something down there to 'click it back up' on screen. Yay! :) So I'll just play with things a little and see if everything is behaving.Thanks, guys! :whistling:

securitybreach
I have some results after fiddling with hidden files. Much improvement. I deleted .gconf, .gconfd, .gnome2, and .gnome2_private. After rebooting, I saw things in the bottom panel- finally! The 4 desktop boxes were down there, and the trash can icon, and the icon to show the desktop. Now when I open a Firefox instance, a Firefox tab appears at the bottom. When I minimize the window, there is now something down there to 'click it back up' on screen. Yay! :) So I'll just play with things a little and see if everything is behaving.Thanks, guys! :whistling:
Great, glad it worked ;)

• 3 weeks later...
Cluttermagnet

I just replaced a flaky power supply in this tower with Ubuntu 10.04 and I got to reading some of the old posts I found in saved open tabs. But the best thread of all was the one about spinning down hard drives- yes or no? Being reminded of the time Eric beat the crip out of his tower produced gales of laughter here. Sorry, Eric, but what a mental picture that is. :"> :thumbsup: Looks like this first copy of 10.04 turns out to be a keeper, so far. To date, no temptation to assault this tower. But there was that incident, years ago, when I blew up and whaled the dickens out of a hapless radio... :"> I'm a much more moderate man these days (for the most part). :thumbsup:

My daughter's PC upgraded to 10.04 flawlessly. I have(had) Ubuntu as a dual boot on my Gentoo machine, but the power in the house died in the middle of the upgrade and hosed the install. I suppose I could chroot into it and fix it, but I'm in no hurry. It was just kind of a backup anyways. I'll get it fixed eventually.