Ubuntu 10.04 LTS

Peachy

V.T. Eric Layton

WOW! MooseTux is a two-headed monster (dual monitors)? COOL! You are truly a geek now, Bill. :thumbsup:

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cluttermagnet

• securitybreach

• Acadia

• BillD

... this time I chose "version 173". For some reason it liked 173 much better, in fact, setting up the dual monitors after that was the easiest so far.
MooseTux. Sensei. Vigorous applause is in order! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Geek? Are you kidding, I'm soooooooo far behind ya'll, but the short distance that I've come I could not have done without you guys and gals. :thumbsup: Acadia

securitybreach
Geek? Are you kidding, I'm soooooooo far behind ya'll, but the short distance that I've come I could not have done without you guys and gals. :thumbsup: Acadia
Nahhh, your just a Beginner Penguin. We have all been there at one time or another :thumbsup:

V.T. Eric Layton

Little penguins become BIG penguins, eventually. Ya' gotta' ride on mom and daddy penguin's feet for a while before you can waddle on your own.emperor%20penguin-saidaonline.jpg

:hysterical: :) :hysterical: Penguin nursicles...
Shoot, it was a good one, too, but almost as soon as I posted it, I said to myself, WAIT, penguins are birds even if they can't fly ... there is no nursing! (There's a clue :icon8: )Acadia

Cluttermagnet

I downloaded and burned a CD last night. Just starting to get used to the look and feel. I like it so far. :hysterical:

I downloaded and burned a CD last night. Just starting to get used to the look and feel. I like it so far. B)
As to the "look and feel," I don't care for the way they moved the "close, max and min" buttons and changed their look. But if it was a move to avoid patent infringement, I'm all for it.

Frank Golden
As to the "look and feel," I don't care for the way they moved the "close, max and min" buttons and changed their look. But if it was a move to avoid patent infringement, I'm all for it.
You can put the buttons back where they belong using Ubuntu Tweak.D\L and install Ubuntu Tweak and run it. Under the windows options is an option to change it back.There is a way to do this using the Gnome Configuration Editor but Ubuntu Tweak gives more control.BTW, Ubuntu Tweak does a whole lot more.http://ubuntu-tweak.com /The D\L is a .deb package for both 32 bit and 64 bit Ubuntu.Just click it and it will install itself.The shortcut to run it is located under system tools in the start menu.I initially hated the new location of the window controls, I was constantly reaching to the right with my mouse, untilI discovered that Ubuntu Tweak could fix it.

Cluttermagnet
Yeah, I'm with you. Lew. I didn't like the moved buttons either. Glad to see Frank's solution for that- Ubuntu Tweak (Thanks, Frank!). I'll do that when I install my first 10.04, which may be on the very machine I'm working with at this moment, a 'modest' 1.6GHz P4 box.
Urmas, that is very impressive. Took me 5-10 minutes just to skim through it the first time. Thanks! Edited by Cluttermagnet

I didn't like the moved buttons either.
The "hard way":1. Open Gconf-Editor – may or may not in Menus under Applications --> System Tools... if not, open the terminal, and:
$ gconf-editor

2. Navigate to apps --> metacity --> general --> button_layout3. Change the value to :minimize,maximize,close(that is <colon><minimize><comma><maximize><comma><close>) :hmm:

Frank Golden
The "hard way":1. Open Gconf-Editor – may or may not in Menus under Applications --> System Tools... if not, open the terminal, and:
$ gconf-editor

2. Navigate to apps --> metacity --> general --> button_layout3. Change the value to :minimize,maximize,close(that is <colon><minimize><comma><maximize><comma><close>) :hmm:

Thats what Ubuntu Tweak does.If you change themes after fixing the windows button "feature\bug" you might have to redo the fix, either the "hard way" or theUbuntu Tweak way.BTW, Urmie nice find the post install guide. Edited by Frank Golden

Changing the folder buttons is really great. Now then, how do I keep the hidden files showing each time I open them rather than having to press ctrl+h each time. This of course is not unique to 10.04; I just don't know how to do it.Thank you,Bill

Frank Golden
Changing the folder buttons is really great. Now then, how do I keep the hidden files showing each time I open them rather than having to press ctrl+h each time. This of course is not unique to 10.04; I just don't know how to do it.Thank you,Bill
Hi Bill, when you open a window look to edit>preferences and select show hidden files.I believe this is the same for any gnome desktop.

V.T. Eric Layton
YIPPEE! Must go download now. I think I'll plow Mandriva under and plant a field of Ubuntu 10.04. :thumbsup:
I haven't had time to install yet. My blog has taken over my life. You'd be amazed how much time it takes to research stuff to get enough inspiration to write two measly articles a day.Anyway, I decided to plow PCLOS under and plant Kubuntu there. I'd prefer to keep the main line (Mandriva) rather than the offshoot (PCLOS). I did manage to find the time to fix my siggy.Oh, and that's another reason to plow PCLOS under... now I have 100% 64 bit Linux operating systems on my computer. YAY! And to think, I didn't like 64 bit at one time. :thumbsup:

Cluttermagnet
I downloaded and burned a CD last night. Just starting to get used to the look and feel. I like it so far. :thumbsup:
I'd have to call the occasion of my first Ubuntu 10.04 install 'inauspicious', and that's being kind. Lots of little problems. That being said, I'm sure I'll ultimately get it all worked out. But my first experience with an install of 10.04 has not been entirely good. The live CD sessions have been pretty positive, by contrast.I chose one of my more modest platforms using an Asrock PE PRO mobo, P4 1.6 GHz CPU and a scant 512M of DDR RAM. An aged NV6 Vanta LT AGP 2x nVidia card does the video.The video came up basically OK, running a 1024x768 window, as desired with this old CRT monitor. No problems there. But I think that leaving my sda5 /home partition intact from an earlier copy of Linux Mint 6 has caused problems. Panel behavior is messed up. I cant find my lower panel, yet I guess it must be there (?) Minimize a window and that window is 'lost forever'. Adding new side panels is not possible. At least they do not seem to appear. But add enough of them and you get a blank top panel covering the original top panel. Yes, it can be removed.I'm wondering if I could safely nuke my /home partition? Would Lucid recover when it wakes up and spawn a fresh new /home?Firefox will not fully maximize. My scroll button (wheel) is not working. It appears I cannot drag windows such as Firefox. Never seen that one before. Also I get this icon in the top panel; when I hover the cursor it says I can "Click to start dragging..." and it names the window I currently have open in Firefox. Weird. Confusing. And yes, never seen before.The OS is usable but kind of miserable at first.I'm going to get Ubuntu tweak and get rid of the stupid upper left hand window buttons. I want them in the upper right hand corner. Habits die hard. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Edited by Cluttermagnet

Cluttermagnet
You can put the buttons back where they belong using Ubuntu Tweak.D\L and install Ubuntu Tweak and run it...I initially hated the new location of the window controls, I was constantly reaching to the right with my mouse, untilI discovered that Ubuntu Tweak could fix it.
This worked great, Frank- thanks! Nice utility. :thumbsup:

Cluttermagnet

I'm finding that I seemingly have 'invisible' panels on both sides and at the bottom. I can see the top panel, but not the others. But if I right click any of the 'invisible' spots, I do not see the usual commands such as "delete this panel" or "add to panel" and such. I do see some other commands such as "Create folder/ launcher/ document etc.) So, when I try to minimize anything, there is no icon 'sent to' the nonexistent bottom panel; therefore I have nothing to click on to restore that icon to a displayed window. Weird... :thumbsup:

Edited by Cluttermagnet

securitybreach

I would do like you suggested and nuke your /home partition. Do not format it but remove any hidden files like .gnome2 etc. Then log out and back in. Gnome should recreate any missing files/folders.

Cluttermagnet
I would do like you suggested and nuke your /home partition. Do not format it but remove any hidden files like .gnome2 etc. Then log out and back in. Gnome should recreate any missing files/folders.
OK, Josh- but do you mean any and all files of the hidden type? That's how I'm reading your comments above. Also, after fiddling for a minute on a different computer, do I gather correctly that any file with a dot in front of it is a hidden file? That's a lot of folders and sub folders I would be nuking. Edited by Cluttermagnet

That's a lot of folders and sub folders I would be nuking.
The [hidden] folders that contain [user Clutter's] Gnome stuff are:.gnome .gnome2 .gconf .gconfd .metacitySo... nuke these and see if that restores normalcy. :)

securitybreach

Well since it is a new installation, I just figure you would not have much but the gnome files. If you do not want to remove all of them, just remove the ones Urmas listed. Even if you do remove the other ones, they will be recreated when you launch application that needed them.

Even if you do remove the other ones, they will be recreated when you launch application that needed them.
Might be a good idea... a clean slate and all that. :)

when you open a window look to edit>preferences and select show hidden files.I believe this is the same for any gnome desktop.
Yes, but one has to do it each time (or press crtl+h). I thought maybe there was an easier way to do it like there was in Kde 3 where one could set Konqueror to "remember" the settings? Guess not, huh?Clutter, I know is a nuisance, but I got into disastrous problems trying to upgrade PCLos 2009 to 2010 and keep my old home folder; of course this was a change in Kde version, but still you might do well to save your stuff and do a fresh install of the home. (If you back up your current home, you can always go back!)Thanks,Bill Edited by BillD

Frank Golden
Yes, but one has to do it each time (or press crtl+h). I thought maybe there was an easier way to do it like there was in Kde 3 where one could set Konqueror to "remember" the settings? Guess not, huh?Clutter, I know is a nuisance, but I got into disastrous problems trying to upgrade PCLos 2009 to 2010 and keep my old home folder; of course this was a change in Kde version, but still you might do well to save your stuff and do a fresh install of the home. (If you back up your current home, you can always go back!)Thanks,Bill
I don't know what you mean Bill, when I select "show hidden files" on the preference page like above the files stay visible untilI unselect the option.This shows all the hidden files and folders in my Home directory.