Getting ready to take the plunge..

ross549

Good morning RossWell, you´ve got all the experts gathered around you there . . . . . it won´t take long to get you online in Mandrake now :):P Bruno

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ross549

• teacher

• Owyn

• Bruno

Top Posters In This Topic

Friday night is the perfect night for a celebration. I am sure there will be one after you get off work and get some sleep. I am glad the ones with the expertise in this area came on board to help you out.

If you downloaded both the install and the md5sum files, there is a command that checks them together without you having to compare them.  I forgot the exact command, though, and I probably save time by not having to look it up.  It's something like:md5sum -? disk_n~1.md5 where "?" is some command letter
If it's the same as in Linux, the missing character is a 'c'. In other words:md5sum -c foobar.md5Assuming that foobar.md5 is replace by the name of the actual md5sum checksum file. It doesn't matter what the file ends in. I've seen it online with no extension or specific name like 'md5sums' and I've seen it with an *.asc extension. Do this and you don't have to read any digits. It just compares the filenames listed in it with the checksums and tells you [OK] if they're the same and [FAILED] if not the same or if the file doesn't exist (in the case that you didn't download all the ISOs, for example). It does take a while to check several CDs (well, maybe just on my machine ;) ) so have a coffee/tea/cola break.For example, I need to only download the first Mandrake ISO again, but I can still use the check. Here's what it looks like on my terminal:jay@sheridan:~/downloads/ISOs> md5sum -c md5sums.91.ascmd5sum: Mandrake91-cd1-inst.i586.iso: No such file or directoryMandrake91-cd1-inst.i586.iso: FAILED open or readMandrake91-cd2-ext.i586.iso: OKmd5sum: Mandrake91-cd3-i18n.i586.iso: No such file or directoryMandrake91-cd3-i18n.i586.iso: FAILED open or readmd5sum: WARNING: 2 of 3 listed files could not be read See the [OK] there? That's all I cared about because I don't have the other files.

nlinecomputers

.asc files are signature files for PGP encryption. If I send you a file I can sign the file and it will create an *.asc file that you can use, with my public key, to vaildate the source and prove that the file is unaltered.

.asc files are signature files for PGP encryption.  If I send you a file I can sign the file and it will create an *.asc file that you can use, with my public key, to vaildate the source and prove that the file is unaltered.
Got it.
[owyn@mdk91 owyn]$ md5sum --helpUsage: md5sum [OPTION] [FILE]...  or:  md5sum [OPTION] --check [FILE]Print or check MD5 (128-bit) checksums.With no FILE, or when FILE is -, read standard input.  -b, --binary            read files in binary mode (default on DOS/Windows)  -c, --check          check MD5 sums against given list  -t, --text              read files in text mode (default)The following two options are useful only when verifying checksums:      --status            don't output anything, status code shows success  -w, --warn              warn about improperly formated checksum lines      --help  display this help and exit      --version  output version information and exitThe sums are computed as described in RFC 1321.  When checking, the inputshould be a former output of this program.  The default mode is to printa line with checksum, a character indicating type (`*' for binary, ` ' fortext), and name for each FILE.
Now I see why the .md5 files have both the checksum and the filenames. Learn something (in this case 2 things) every day.

Thanks for the mini-tutorial. I learn something every day around here. If I don't then it is because my brain has refused to function. :whistling:

.asc files are signature files for PGP encryption.  If I send you a file I can sign the file and it will create an *.asc file that you can use, with my public key, to vaildate the source and prove that the file is unaltered.
Files ending in .asc are probably used most commonly PGP nowadays but .asc just means ASCII, which stands for American Standard Code for Information Interchange), basically a set of 128 codes that all computers read the same way. It was created to ensure that computers could share data. Commoner folk call it "plain text". :ermm: More info here if you're really curious (and they explain it so much better than I do).File extensions can (and often do) have multiple meanings and one format can have several different extensions. Isn't life fun? :whistling: :D :lol:

Files ending in .asc are probably used most commonly PGP nowadays but .asc just means ASCII, which stands for American Standard Code for Information Interchange), basically a set of 128 codes that all computers read the same way. It was created to ensure that computers could share data. Commoner folk call it "plain text". :lol: More info here if you're really curious (and they explain it so much better than I do).File extensions can (and often do) have multiple meanings and one format can have several different extensions. Isn't life fun? :ermm: :D :D
in geek talk. It is overloaded.Ross. Sorry. I think we have stolen your thread. :whistling: Promise to try to stay on topic later.

Due to my messing my router up (my fault- don't know what it is yet), it has been dropped from the picture. The next question- how do i config drake to take the SB4200?

Due to my messing my router up (my fault- don't know what it is yet), it has been dropped from the picture. The next question- how do i config drake to take the SB4200?
My guess is with a lot of difficulty. That is a USB Cable Modem and Linux does not like USB Ethernet modems.Would be a lot easier if your router was back in the picture. Have you tried the usual power down/reset options with it?

The cable modem is a ethernet one. It has USB options, but I don't hook it up that way.
In that case, we can use MCC->Network & Internet->DrakConnect.This will still require a functioning ethernet adapter. Please run "dmesg | grep -i eth" after you have booted the Drake and note the results.

Drakeconnect- no go.There were quite a few results from the dmesg command.... here is a sample (it repeats itself)

NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: Transmit timed outeth0: TX queue start entry 4 dirty entry 0eth0: Tx descripter 0 is 00002000 (queue head)eth0: Tx descripter 1 is 00002000eth0: Tx descripter 2 is 00002000eth0: Tx descripter 3 is 00002000eth0: Setting 100Mbps full deuplex based on auto-negotiated partner ability 45e1.eth0: Promiscucous mode enabled.

OK lets see if we can't get this sucker to accept a hardcoded IP.  I didn't see you report the range of IP numbers that your router has blocked of for DHCP so I'm going to assume that we can use 192.168.0.2 as a valid IP address.  If this isn't the case pick a free number and subsitute accordingly.Launch the Mandrake Control Center (MCC) give it your root password.Click Network and InternetClick DrakConnectClick the big Wizard button.Uncheck use auto detection and check expert mode.Click "LAN connection" on the next screen.The next screen should name your NIC.    Click NO and click Next.Now we get to the meat of this.  Uncheck Automatic IP, put 192.168.0.2 as your IP address and 255.255.255.0 as your subset mask, leave DHCP host name blank,uncheck "Track Network Card ID", Uncheck "Network Hotplugging", Check Assign Host Name from DHCP, check "Start at Boot" and click NEXTHost name put what ever name you'd like.  Mybox.localZeroConf leave blankfor DNS server and gateway use 192.168.0.1Click NEXT.Both proxies leave blank and click NEXTLet it restart the network and see if you can browse with Mozilla.
Ross,Your eth0 looks good, I see no problem there . . . I think the best plan is to give it a fixed IP address like in the quote of Nathan here above suggested.This is the preply fom Peachy on that:
Nathan has a good plan. Also, from a terminal in Linux you can type ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.x where x is any number other than 1, to quickly give your eth0 interface a static IP address. This isn't permanent since you will revert back to what the interface was set to during setup. Nathan's method will make it permanent. Also, down any firewall you are running in Mandrake. You don't need it anyway since you're behind the D-Link. Also, type "cat /etc/resolv.conf" to see if there is a line that says:QUOTE nameserver 192.168.0.1
So we will leave the DHCP for what it is and do it the other way.:) Bruno

Bruno:Are you sure about the eth0 Ok?I was expecting something like the following if it was ok.

[root@mdk91 owyn]# dmesg | grep -i eth8139too Fast Ethernet driver 0.9.26eth0: D-Link DFE-538TX (RealTek RTL8139) at 0xd2940000, 00:50:ba:5c:fe:52, IRQ 5eth0:  Identified 8139 chip type 'RTL-8139C'eth0: Setting 100mbps full-duplex based on auto-negotiated partner ability 45e1.
Instead Ross is seeing
NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: Transmit timed outeth0: TX queue start entry 4 dirty entry 0eth0: Tx descripter 0 is 00002000 (queue head)eth0: Tx descripter 1 is 00002000eth0: Tx descripter 2 is 00002000eth0: Tx descripter 3 is 00002000eth0: Setting 100Mbps full deuplex based on auto-negotiated partner ability 45e1.eth0: Promiscucous mode enabled.
I have never seen timeout errors on a functioning NIC.

OwynNot sure, but your eth0 is seeing your router . . his router is broke, I just was looking at:

eth0: Setting 100Mbps full deuplex based on auto-negotiated partner ability 45e1.
and was hoping assigning the IP would solve this . . . . We might need Peachy or Nathan in here, because the IP above is from the router and not his real IP . . . Ross, maybe better wait for the network experts . . . ;)The card works in Windows ?? And the router does not in Windows either ?:) Bruno Edited by Bruno

Ross:I think you need to use the command "dmesg | grep -i eth | less".I suspect the critical messages are at the beginning of the log and scrolled off due to your recurring errors.Adding "| less" will let your see them.

This is what I get.....

8139too Fast Ethernet driver 0.9.26eth0: RealTek RTL8139 Fast Ethernet at 0xe4a16000, 00:30:1b:ab:76:8a, IRQ 18eth0: Indentified 8139 chip type 'RTL-8139C'eth0: setting 100Mbps full duplex based on auto negotiated parter ability 45e1.NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: Transmit timed outeth0: TX queue start entry 4 dirty entry 0eth0: Tx descripter 0 is 00002000 (queue head)eth0: Tx descripter 1 is 00002000eth0: Tx descripter 2 is 00002000eth0: Tx descripter 3 is 00002000eth0: Setting 100Mbps full deuplex based on auto-negotiated partner ability 45e1.eth0: Promiscucous mode enabled.device eth0 entered promiscuous modedevice eth0 left promiscuous modeNETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: Transmit timed outeth0: TX queue start entry 4 dirty entry 0eth0: Tx descripter 0 is 00002000 (queue head)eth0: Tx descripter 1 is 00002000eth0: Tx descripter 2 is 00002000eth0: Tx descripter 3 is 00002000eth0: Setting 100Mbps full deuplex based on auto-negotiated partner ability 45e1.eth0: Promiscucous mode enabled.device eth0 entered promiscuous modedevice eth0 left promiscuous modeNETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: Transmit timed outeth0: TX queue start entry 4 dirty entry 0eth0: Tx descripter 0 is 00002000 (queue head)eth0: Tx descripter 1 is 00002000eth0: Tx descripter 2 is 00002000eth0: Tx descripter 3 is 00002000eth0: Setting 100Mbps full deuplex based on auto-negotiated partner ability 45e1.eth0: Promiscucous mode enabled.device eth0 entered promiscuous modedevice eth0 left promiscuous mode

8139too Fast Ethernet driver 0.9.26eth0: RealTek RTL8139 Fast Ethernet at 0xe4a16000, 00:30:1b:ab:76:8a, IRQ 18eth0: Indentified 8139 chip type 'RTL-8139C'eth0: setting 100Mbps full duplex based on auto negotiated parter ability 45e1.
It does find and recognises tha card, just can´t find the network . . . . . Ross, help is on it´s way, we just need to kill some time, you could try to assign your real IP address in the MCC . . . :) Bruno

"real IP?"
Well the IP´s in previous post where those for your router . . if you´re on cable you have a fixed IP address, that´s the one I call "real"Configuring your network card can be done too with:# netconfig ( as root in a console )After that:# ifconfig eth0 up ( should put the network UP )If all went well:# netstat -i ( will show you the ¨eth0¨ and ¨lo¨ ):) Bruno