Getting ready to take the plunge..

ross549

RyanProbably you stumbled upon the wizard for the LAN configuration of the DHCP under Network and Internet in the Mandrake Control Center. Those wizards can be wonderful for solving problems. :thumbsup:

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ross549

• teacher

• Owyn

• Bruno

Top Posters In This Topic

Julia... I spent hours and hours playing with that control center... I tried way too many things... I boot back and forth between WinXP and Mandrake every day, and one day it just worked... was quite happy :thumbsup:

Maybe you played with it too much. With the loopback that means that the NIC is fine. It has to be the DHCP settings. I have had one or two distros give me problems but Mandrake works. I don't even want to go back to 9.1 because I like 9.2 so well. Still waiting for the final.

I'll upgrade to 9.2 as soon as the iso's come out for the final edition... Can't afford the Club membership, so will have to survive waiting until the public mirrors show up. I love Mandrake, and I had no issues with it before I got my router, but had the issues when I hooked it up... It's all good now, so no complaints... Never could get Knoppix or any of the Debian distros to work... Don't really care though... I only need one distro anyway :thumbsup:

I was tinkering in the network control panel. Still no joy. All the network treaffic is going to local loopback, and not to eth0.I think it may be related to DHCP.... I am working on finding the manual for my router... it may have some info.

Peachy should be here any minute to give you some ideas. He is our resident network expert. I am sure he can explain or help out better than I can. :thumbsup:

nlinecomputers

GeezI go away from this board for two hours and I get three pages of posts and plea of help from Teacher. Looks like Ross got part of the way up. :)Ross can you boot into windows and take some notes?In windows do you know how to run Winipcfg? If you could tell us if your windows box is using DHCP or a static IP that would be real helpfull. We need to make your Drake version of your box match.

Here is what I have now.....when linux is booting, there is a long (very long) pause at the "bringing up interface eth0, then there are some messages about IP 169.254.210.241.when i get into KDE, and the control panel, if I bring the network down, go to expert mode, and config network access, I am presented with a DHCP options windowI am assuming th DHCP host IP is 192.168.0.1, because that is the first hop on the way to a random site.When I enter this address, and click on connect to the internet, I actually get activity get traffic on the LED's on my router.However, the connection times out and mandrake says to check the config.

My router is using DCHP and Windows 2k
Ross:Did I understand that correctly. 1)You are using a system with dual NIC and W2K as a router and DHCP provider?2)Did you get the "winipcfg" info yet?FYI: This is the status info available from my MDK9.1
[root@mdk91 samba]# ifconfigeth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:50:BA:5C:FE:52          inet addr:192.168.1.100  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1          RX packets:9485 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0          TX packets:11798 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0          collisions:0 txqueuelen:100          RX bytes:4132963 (3.9 Mb)  TX bytes:5349415 (5.1 Mb)          Interrupt:5lo        Link encap:Local Loopback          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1          RX packets:192 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0          TX packets:192 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0          RX bytes:14988 (14.6 Kb)  TX bytes:14988 (14.6 Kb)
and
[root@mdk91 samba]# dmesg | grep etheth0: D-Link DFE-538TX (RealTek RTL8139) at 0xd2940000, 00:50:ba:5c:fe:52, IRQ 5eth0:  Identified 8139 chip type 'RTL-8139C'eth0: Setting 100mbps full-duplex based on auto-negotiated partner ability 45e1.

nlinecomputers

In windows what IP number does the router assign you and what DNS numbers do you get. Also do you know what the IP number of the router is and what range of IP numbers it hands out as DHCP. For example my router hands out 192.168.1.100-150 as valid IP numbers. My Linux box is a server and I hard code it as 192.168.1.200. It may be better to just try and hard code this sucker then mess with DHCP.

no, my router is a D-link DI-614+- it is using DCHPWhen I am not in Linux :thumbsup: , my computer runs windows 2000Win2k does not have winipcfg as a command.... and I don't remember the 2k equivelent.

Stupid question.Do you have the TCP/IP protocol loaded on your router for the internal network? Linux does not do NETBEUI.
Yes I do.

2k command:  ipconfig /all (from commandline)
system IP: 192.168.0.100subnet: 255.255.255.0gateway: 192.168.0.1DCHP server: 192.168.0.1DNS server : 192.168.0.1DCHp enabled: yesautoconfiguration enabled: yes

no, my router is a D-link DI-614+- it is using DCHPWhen I am not in Linux  ;) , my computer runs windows 2000Win2k does not have winipcfg as a command.... and I don't remember the 2k equivelent.
Great. Clears up that misunderstanding.The W2k command is "ipconfig". It is a command line utility not at a GUI.

LOL. Lots of people giving you answers now. Hope we can find the correct one.Your info from W2K is correct and consistent with your router.What I would really like to see is the boot messages for your eth0.

nlinecomputers

OK lets see if we can't get this sucker to accept a hardcoded IP. I didn't see you report the range of IP numbers that your router has blocked of for DHCP so I'm going to assume that we can use 192.168.0.2 as a valid IP address. If this isn't the case pick a free number and subsitute accordingly.Launch the Mandrake Control Center (MCC) give it your root password.Click Network and InternetClick DrakConnectClick the big Wizard button.Uncheck use auto detection and check expert mode.Click "LAN connection" on the next screen.The next screen should name your NIC. Click NO and click Next.Now we get to the meat of this. Uncheck Automatic IP, put 192.168.0.2 as your IP address and 255.255.255.0 as your subset mask, leave DHCP host name blank,uncheck "Track Network Card ID", Uncheck "Network Hotplugging", Check Assign Host Name from DHCP, check "Start at Boot" and click NEXTHost name put what ever name you'd like. Mybox.localZeroConf leave blankfor DNS server and gateway use 192.168.0.1Click NEXT.Both proxies leave blank and click NEXTLet it restart the network and see if you can browse with Mozilla.

PS: The DLink is a 4 port router. Do you have another system you can talk to us on or do you have to reboot each time to reach us?
I don't have a seperate system. i am at work now, so I can't do anything from "home." I will be back "home" at 0630, and back awake after three.

Nathan has a good plan. Also, from a terminal in Linux you can type ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.x where x is any number other than 1, to quickly give your eth0 interface a static IP address. This isn't permanent since you will revert back to what the interface was set to during setup. Nathan's method will make it permanent. Also, down any firewall you are running in Mandrake. You don't need it anyway since you're behind the D-Link. Also, type cat /etc/resolv.conf to see if there is a line that says:

nameserver 192.168.0.1