What are you listening to?

regexorcist

Well, it's been Carl Michael Bellman and the Pogues here today, so... :w00t:
I like the Pogues. Not familiar with Carl Michael Bellman though, I don't think.For today's listening pleasure...Alice Peacock - The BeginningBlue Rodeo - After the RainGarth Brooks - The DanceFrozen Ghost - Dream Come TrueRobert Palmer - Bad Case of Loving YouEvanescence - My ImmortalFlogging Molly - Worst Day Since YesterdayNickelback - Gotta Be SomebodyThere's more but that's just a sample of what I'm in the mood for today. ;)

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• V.T. Eric Layton

• regexorcist

• SueD

• Urmas

Not familiar with Carl Michael Bellman though, I don't think.
A late-eighteenth-century bad boy in Stockholm. Here is an example (English translation by Paul Britten Austin):http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RSX4sNJ5yIFredman's Epistle No. 12 - Elegi över slagsmålet på Gröna Lund (Elegy over the fight at Gröna Lund Tavern)Gråt, fader Berg, och spela —din pipa sorgligt stämoch röret kläm!Mitt bröst kan ingen hela:det frustar öl och märg.Blås fader Berg!Märk: denna stora stuga,du full af flickor minns,är nu så tom att knappt en enda flugauti taket finns.Här syns ej Jergen Puckel mer med hatten bugasom en prins.Play, Father Berg, in tearsThe sorry pipe intone,With sad notes blown.No man my bosom cheers;I'll breathe a beery air.Blow, Father Berg!Mark this great hall with feelingOf girls remember'd full,So empty, scarce a single fly upon its ceilingNow is seen at all.Nor Jergen Puckel with his princely hat, to hearts appealingIn the ball.Här syns ej bord och bänkar,blott dörrar utan lås.Din pipa blås!Där förr sågs glas och skänkaroch bröder stå i ring,syns ingenting.Där förr du stod till vänster,och på ditt valdthorn gol,nu synes bara sönderslagna fensteroch en gammal stol.Här fåfängt spelmän nånsin vänta fler förtjänstermed fiol.No tables now, nor benches,But only lockless doors.Ah, blow, nor pause!Where glasses stood, and wenches,And brothers in a ring,There's no such thing.Where once thy horn awokenCrow'd forth a brassy air,Now naught is seen but shatter'd window panes, all broken,And one old chair.Here fiddlers evermore of earning fee or tokenMust despair.Där förr hvar tilja darra'vid stampning, larm och dånsyns ej en spån.De murkna plankor knarra,och skorsten sviktar nu.Blås, kära du!Där förr man såg trumpeterur fenstren stickas ut,syns trasor af gardiner och tapeterfläkta hvar minut.Och fåfängt ser man hästar, vagnar och karretervid hvar knut.Where once each roof-tile quiver'dTo stamping and uproarThere's nothing more.By creaking floorboards shiver'dThe chimmey stack gives way;Ah, play, friend, play.Where trumpets once were brayingThrough window their refrain,The shreds of tatter'd curtains in and out are swaying,By the breezes ta'en.Here coachmen at each corner vying, coaches, horses neighing,Seek in vein.När bröder ej förlikas,plär leken lyktas så...min rygg är blå.En örfil kan undvikas,när som man ingen ger.Blås inte mer!Hvar en ej mer må dricka,än honom är beskärdt,ty i korpralens kanna näsan stickadet är inte värdt.Och aldrig nånsin dansa med en annans flickahar jag lärt.A game too hot disputedTurns, brothers, oft to rue.My back is blue!That blow is best eludedThere's no occasion for.Ah, play no more!The blood it ne'er enhancesBy drink to be too stirred;And who into the corp'ral's pot his nose advancesGrievously has erred;Likewise the man who rashly with another's woman dances,So I've heard. :w00t:

Punished? Doesn't get any better than that. OK, so Bellman stole the tune from Händel, but - like Pete Seeger used to say - plagiarism is the root of all culture. :w00t:

Wild Strawberries - Bet You Think I'm LonelyCavalier - Don't Let Me DownKings of Hearts - A New WorldREM - Everybody HurtsPeter Frampton - Do You Feel Like We Do (I had to add something fun to the list)

Speaking of music, seeing this picture in Fred Langa's blog this morning made me feel really old:4237082804_447e1d8459_o.jpg

The Beatles in 1957. George Harrison is 14, John Lennon is 16, and Paul McCartney is 15.

• 2 weeks later...

"Comfortably Numb" from David Gilmore's "Live in Gdansk '08". And it is turned up to 11 too.Incidentally that was Richard Wright's last performance before his death. A simply beautiful song. Way ahead of it's time. It's live performance with the orchestra is worth a listen.

Edited by FuzzButt

:hysterical: So you have Spinal Tap's old amplifier :thumbsup:
I didn't purchase a 400watt Klipsch 4.1 computer speaker system for any other reason than to really turn it up. Edited by FuzzButt

Wow I recognize lots of the stuff you are all listening to, most of the time lately we are listening to Lady Gaga because my 21 year old introduced my 2 year old to her and her first words most mornings are "GIMME GAGA!!" Jim Croce is probably one of my all time favourites, I kind of listen to a little bit of everything though.

Jim Croce is probably one of my all time favourites
If he hadn't died at such a young age, there would have been many more albums.Now I'm listening to:Looking Glass - BrandyRupert Holmes - EscapeStan Getz - Girl From Ipanema

Jim Croce is probably one of my all time favourites...
Good stuff. My favourite album is the "Final Tour Live" (OK, OK, but it'd be great EVEN WITHOUT "Ball Of Kerrymuir". :( )

V.T. Eric Layton

I'm listening to the breeze ring the chimes outside my window... oh, and the rain falling. It's a yucky day here in Tampa.

yep, that's where i got the idea, it's been on my todo list. i like to drill the same keyword and see how many different versions of a tune i can find. some are pretty good. i'm amazed how many artists do some pretty good covers. of course the whole point is to discover new stuff. my latest, greatest discovery is this relatively new release:she and him - i should have known bettershe is zooey deschanel, him is m. ward.here's another

Edited by cybormoron

oh noes, the bird is not the word? whatever are we gonna do? we gotta have a word. ;) seems to me the interwebz is overdue for one of those viral memes. we haven't had one in awhile or did i miss it? :w00t: thank you sue, glad you liked it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
V.T. Eric Layton

Separated - The Offspinghttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJQFf0qj9NkEpic - Faith No Morehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AMS3XNK9CUStrange Dreams - Frank Marino and Mahogany Rushhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaznDN8Wxz0Hypnotized - Fleetwood Mac

The Hall of the Mountain King - Savatage
Cities On Flame (With Rock and Roll) - Blue Oyster Cult
Mother - Danzighttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgSn0SbQJQI