Simultaneous Installs...

kamicota

securitybreach

Sorry, that kind of goes against the whole Arch philosphy:

1) Arch Linux defines simplicity as 'without unnecessary additions, modifications, or complications', and provides a lightweight UNIX-like base structure that allows an individual user to shape the system according to their own needs. In short; an elegant, minimalist approach.2) Simplicity of implementation, code-elegance, and minimalism shall always remain the reigning priorities of Arch development.3) Arch Linux targets and accommodates competent GNU/Linux users by giving them complete control and responsibility over the system.4) Arch Linux uses simple tools, that are selected or built with openness of the sources and their output in mind.5) By keeping the system simple, Arch Linux provides the freedom to make any choice about the system.
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/The_Arch_WayThanks

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kamicota

• securitybreach

JoshMaybe so for ARCH but simplicity for my installs = PCLinuxOS/MDV/Ultimate 2.4 etcBy the way just aborted the install - would have set up new partition table and think would have lost what was alread on the hard drive.Although may just go back to mdv and delete all Linux partitions and create three new ones and try againCheers for YearsColin :thumbsup:

securitybreach

Well in this case simplicity does not mean easy to use. Sorry to quote again but the wiki says it bests:

The Arch Linux system places precedence upon elegance of design as well as clean, simple code, rather than unnecessary patching, automation, eye candy or "n*****-friendliness". Software patches are therefore kept to an absolute minimum-- ideally, never.
Thanks

Yep JoshI guess this --->>> "n*****-friendliness" says it all :thumbsup: But anyways MDV is in and off to delete recreate and give it another try tonight and see if we get any furtherCheers for YearsColin :">

securitybreach

Cool and good luck with Mandriva. But just because you did not have luck this time around does not mean you cannot do this in future if you wanted to. Sorry I could not be more of a help Colin.Thanks

JoshEven struck a sour note with MDV :thumbsup: deleted all Linux partitions (that were formatted) - created a new 28GB set it as / and OOPSSS!!! :"> it started and still is formatting and writing it to somewhereSo have to just create them and not allocate what forHey Josh YOU WERE and ARE a great HELP - you tried in Virtual??? and got a similar result as mineBut we will see what happens now - FINALLY :thumbsup: it is ready to start again with MDVCheers for YearsColin :thumbsup:

JoshWe will see if we have more success this time around - just a thought MAYBE those screens you url'd were from the LiveCD not the DVDAnd also just another thought heck CHAKRA created a gui install with Arch - shoot maybe there is another distro doing the same thing. Although have looked at other Arch based distros and only fouind those with specific interests ie - gaming security +++Cheers for yearsColin :thumbsup:

JoshThis time got a little further have all three partitions recreated as / /home and swap BUT can not find how to apply OOPS!!! :thumbsup: just FOUND the green apply buttonCheers for YearsColin :">

Edited by kamicota

What a let downGot all the partitions all formatted and next was to be install BUT the KDE crash handler apologized and the installation was halted :thumbsup: eh :"> Cheers for YearsColin :thumbsup:

JoshA lot of the Arch based distros have disappeared like Firefly but will also keep lookingNext time I try Chakra install WILL download the packages first and see if that rids me of the KDE CrashAnd hopefully I will remember what I did to get that far and Further tomorrow Cheers for YearsColin :thumbsup:

securitybreach

Well I found this:

Did you ever think to try Arch Linux but you have to cancel out because of the relatively 'geek' installation in the time of modern and simple tools for installation? If so this is your chance.Christopher Rogers (better known under the nickname "godane") issued Arch-live CD, Unofficial Arch Linux live CD with automatic hardware Xfce working environment and the graphical installers.
There is no website just a ftp directory. The version is from May but it is regular Arch once it is installed. So it will be updated to current after installation.http://www.detector-pro.com/2009/05/try-ar...nux-livecd.htmlI am downloading myself to try it out.Thanks

securitybreach

OK I downloaded the Arch-live CD. I had to use safe video settings for VB but it booted fine into Xfce. This may be an issue with VB and not this version.The password for root is "ArchLinux" without the quotes. There is also an entry for "Install ArchLinux" in the menu but I could not get it to launch. Instead I opened a terminal and typed:

#  /arch/archiso-setup

The installer is pretty much the installer from regular Archlinux except it installs a Xfce desktop for you automatically and is ran within Xfce (livecd). I used the Auto-Partition step since this was a VB install but I imagine the installer uses cfdisk to make the partitions like the other one did. I also noticed that this is extremely fast even in VB, of course Arch is fast anyway.I am running the installer now and will let you know how it went.Thanks

Got an UNEASY feeling again :thumbsup: It is taking for ages--->>>detecting best mirror and configuring pacman and no licht flickering on the Quad (81%)HoHumCheers for yearsColin ;)

Well ;) Chakra IS installed & running BUT--->>>WE did ANOTHER OOPS!!! :w00t: - Installed bootloader - expecting it to give me options but didn't and when Grub booted there was no Windows to boot into - IT just went straight into Chakra :'( Cheers for YearsColin :thumbsup:

securitybreach

Sorry to hear about that. Well atleast you got Chakra working but I hope you did not lose anything. As long as you did not overwrite the partitions you should be fine. Just uncomment the windows section as root:

# kedit(whatever editor you like) /boot/grub/menu.lst

Change:

# (1) Windows#title Windows#rootnoverify (hd0,0)#makeactive#chainloader +1

to

# (1) Windowstitle Windowsrootnoverify (hd0,0)makeactivechainloader +1

Then as root:

# grub-install /dev/sda

Reboot and you should be able to boot into windows.Thank

Heck that's not the only glitch right nowYour first command --->>>Permission denied (can not copy and past from bash in Arora Browser and Konqueror just keeps flashing on and off and can not hit atlLooking for another consoleCheers for YearsColin

JoshGot Konqueroir to stop flashing [kamicota@chakra-desktop ~]$ suPassword:[root@chakra-desktop kamicota]# kedit /boot/grub/menu.lstbash: kedit: command not found[root@chakra-desktop kamicota]#Cheers for YearsColin

Managed to get this--->>[kamicota@chakra-desktop ~]$ cat /etc/fstab# # /etc/fstab: static file system information# # <file system> <dir> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>none /dev/pts devpts defaults 0 0 none /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0 UUID=d1e9b5d6-c44a-4553-b078-c20f39f87911 / ext3 defaults 0 0UUID=111e3703-5e3d-4a64-8da0-155a8d46eb98 swap swap defaults 0 0 UUID=ab58b11b-518f-436f-b243-8e697b4da3c1 /home ext3 defaults 0 0 [kamicota@chakra-desktop ~]$ cat /boot/grub/menu.lst # Config file for GRUB - The GNU GRand Unified Bootloader # /boot/grub/menu.lst # DEVICE NAME CONVERSIONS ## Linux Grub# -------------------------# /dev/fd0 (fd0)# /dev/sda (hd0)# /dev/sdb2 (hd1,1)# /dev/sda3 (hd0,2)## FRAMEBUFFER RESOLUTION SETTINGS# +-------------------------------------------------+# | 640x480 800x600 1024x768 1280x1024# ----+--------------------------------------------# 256 | 0x301=769 0x303=771 0x305=773 0x307=775# 32K | 0x310=784 0x313=787 0x316=790 0x319=793# 64K | 0x311=785 0x314=788 0x317=791 0x31A=794# 16M | 0x312=786 0x315=789 0x318=792 0x31B=795# +-------------------------------------------------+# for more details and different resolutions see# http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB#F...ffer_Resolution# general configuration:timeout 5default 0color light-blue/black light-cyan/blue# boot sections follow# each is implicitly numbered from 0 in the order of appearance below###-*# (1) Windowshiddenmenudefault 0timeout 1# (0) Arch Linuxtitle Arch Linuxroot (hd0,6)kernel /boot/vmlinuz26 resume=/dev/disk/by-uuid/111e3703-5e3d-4a64-8da0-155a8d46eb98 root=/dev/disk/by-uuid/d1e9b5d6-c44a-4553-b078-c20f39f87911 roinitrd /boot/kernel26.img# (1) Arch Linux Fallbacktitle Arch Linux Fallbackroot (hd0,6)kernel /boot/vmlinuz26 resume=/dev/disk/by-uuid/111e3703-5e3d-4a64-8da0-155a8d46eb98 root=/dev/disk/by-uuid/d1e9b5d6-c44a-4553-b078-c20f39f87911 roinitrd /boot/kernel26-fallback.img[kamicota@chakra-desktop ~]$

# Config file for GRUB - The GNU GRand Unified Bootloader# /boot/grub/menu.lstHere's Nano # DEVICE NAME CONVERSIONS## Linux Grub# -------------------------# /dev/fd0 (fd0)# /dev/sda (hd0)# /dev/sdb2 (hd1,1)# /dev/sda3 (hd0,2)## FRAMEBUFFER RESOLUTION SETTINGS# +-------------------------------------------------+# | 640x480 800x600 1024x768 1280x1024# ----+--------------------------------------------# 256 | 0x301=769 0x303=771 0x305=773 0x307=775# 32K | 0x310=784 0x313=787 0x316=790 0x319=793# 64K | 0x311=785 0x314=788 0x317=791 0x31A=794# 16M | 0x312=786 0x315=789 0x318=792 0x31B=795# +-------------------------------------------------+# for more details and different resolutions see# http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB#F...ffer_Resolution# general configuration:timeout 5default 0color light-blue/black light-cyan/blue# boot sections follow# each is implicitly numbered from 0 in the order of appearance below###-*# (1) Windowshiddenmenudefault 0timeout 1# (0) Arch Linuxtitle Arch Linuxroot (hd0,6) [ Read 54 lines ]^G Get Help ^O WriteOut ^R Read File ^Y Prev Page ^K Cut Text ^C Cur Pos^X Exit

JoshThink PATIENCE has ran it's course --->>>too many unfamiliarities in ChakraAmd off to look at Linux Mint 8 +??? and see where too from there AFTER resucitating the partitions with MDVCheers for YearsColin