Simultaneous Installs...

kamicota

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kamicota

• securitybreach

Righty Ho On the move again in IBM --->>> I think :w00t: Trying Chakra LiveCD but get so far with just a blinking cursor blank Screen ( Start with free droversOff to reload and try Start Non Free Drivers and see what happens Then will try the 4600 or Quad just to see if there is any differenceCheers fo rYearsColin :w00t:

WellThe IBM m/c is becoming tiresome - MDV takes for ever to load and Chakra LiveCD (minimalist) with No- frre drives just sat and blinked at me AM wondering about the DVD - don't know if it's live or install but that is a little later todayAnyhows Chakra LiveCD DOES work on the Quad and am wrioting from itFunnily or CONVENIENTLY??? the Quad does not have Linux on it yet :w00t: But euk :rolleyes: it is KDE Dolphin so that's ONE strike already Where to from here will just have to explore the LiveCD and see if there is anything about how to install as I see it has the ability to install.So for now EXPLORER is Explorin gCheers for YearsColin :w00t:

securitybreach

Well atleast you got it booted on one of your machines. As far as dolphin, Konqueror is also installed if you would rather use it. You can also change the default filemanager to use konqueror instead.Thanks

That IS interesting JoshNever though about setting Konqueror as my File Manager WAY to GO :w00t: The Install worrieds may AGAIN :hysterical: but will now also try the DVD in the IBM and see what happens there If it is NOT Live may just have to shutdown becaue the --->>>8 Pages READ is not ready for theis early afternoon frame of mind :w00t: Cheers for YearsColin :rolleyes:

securitybreach

The installer for Chakra is nothing like a normal Arch install. The installer is point and click. Bascially all Chakra is is a preconfigured Archlinux livecd running KDEMod and a gui installer. After installation, you end up with Arch system with KDE desktop already setup unlike regular Arch where you only get a prompt. Sort of like a "jumpstart" on the Arch setup, but without getting to choose what apps you want OOTB.Thanks

Righty Ho JoshSounds more like MY cup of teaThink I will install it on the Quad and while this happening try the LiveCD again on the IBM because as it was shutting down saw reference to live/live and root/root logins - so maybe at that blininking cursor it may workSo for now we must be off to the races again eh :w00t: Cheers for YearsColin :w00t:

securitybreach

Sounds good. I probably should of suggested Chakra instead of regular arch but I have not had any experience with running the Chakura livecd. After the installation, everything else is the same as regular Archlinux.Thanks

securitybreach

What are you having problems with? Ok I was wrong it seems that Chakra is a tad different from regular Arch since it has graphical tools for package installation and other things: http://chakra-project.org/wiki/index.php/Main_PageAlthough, you can always do the regular way as well. I am pretty sure you will be using the gui tools though. Looks like I need to download it and run it in VB to check it out.Thanks

JoshI have both the forum and Chakras Screen shots up on the IBM Have not been able to set / or /home and partiualrly swap as one too many primary partitionsBut may be because I did not activate RamDisk OptionsMay just abort Go Gparted or another Livecd and get the partitions createdCheers for yearsColin :thumbsup:

securitybreach

How many primary do you already have on this disk? You can have up to 4 primary partitions on a disk. And what is this ramdisk you speak of? You do not need to worry about setting up a ramdisk.Thanks

JoshI formatted all partitions including swap with MDV and RamDisk is a part of the install package that sets up and allows the functions that follow (like partitioning) to work I thinkNow it is off to try again

securitybreach

In case you did not know what a ramdisk was, a ramdisk image basically uses a portion of your ram as if it were a harddrive.I am pretty sure you did not want to do that.Thanks

securitybreach

That is strange that the bottom was cut off. Do you have a weird resoultion or something? If you have a nvidia/ati card, I think the livedvd has options to install the drivers to get the right resolution,Thanks

JoshI was only about a quarter of the screen and I just left it as it was but will see what happens this timeChakra DID load the non-free nVidia drivers when botting up thoughCheers for YearsColin :thumbsup:

JoshBy preformatting the partitions with MDV Chakra tells me --->>> NO valid prtition table on this machineBoy is this a JOURNEY or whatCheers for yearsColin :thumbsup:

JoshThat's the Brightest Idea YET today - I have been powering out with all this And would love to see what happens with your install. By the way is it the DVD Alpha 4 or the LIveCD?? OOPS!!! :thumbsup: you said DVD :"> Cheers for YearsColin :thumbsup:

Edited by kamicota

securitybreach

Well I see the part about no partition table found. I just right clicked the /dev/sda and chose New Partition table. Then you will see unallocated space in the box to the right. Click that and choose new. Make your /, /home/ and swap. Then click apply.Thanks

JoshHave left the partitions formatted and will see what happens this time--->>> the FINAL attempt today!!!Looks like one of your next projects is to create a GUI install for Arch eh??? :thumbsup: or is it :"> :thumbsup: :thumbsup: ???Cheers for YearsColin :thumbsup:

Edited by kamicota