Simultaneous Installs...

kamicota

Yep We are in Urmas's Rotating wheeelInstalls the other OS and Linux on both IBM and Quad in tow rioght nowDon't know if it is :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: OR ;) :hysterical: :hysterical: Think for Starters on the IBM after the OEM XP we will try Vector 6 Classic before any ventures into ArchBut this is where we areCheers for yearsColin :thumbsup:

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kamicota

• securitybreach

hey JOSH :hysterical: --->>>I AM USING THE COMPUTER The Play time is later ;) Today ALL three Deskies (don't know about Lappy yet :hysterical: ) will have the new CREATIVE year of 2010 set up with each having a NEW other OS and Linux on themSo for as Eric says I AM having FUNZIES Cheers for Years Colin :thumbsup:

Edited by kamicota

JoshSeeems like the brick walls I am coming across with the IBM that this m/c may just be my Linux test machine not an other OS product It has a 160GB DriveAny Ideas how I should set this up with partitions after a possible install of ULTIMATE --->>> OR :w00t: is that a bad choice for the first one For now have to shut it down and redo hardrive partitionsIn the mean time the Quad seems like it is ready for an ULTIMATE 2.4 install ;) :hysterical: :hysterical: Cheers for YearsColin :w00t: And SHOOT :w00t: I AM in Urmas's wheel :thumbsup:

Shoot ARE WE havin' FUN ;) Had to redo hardrive on the IBM to full 160GB (we will leave the reason at that) --->>> Ultimate LIVEdvd did not load and neither did Vector linux Classic INSTALL which stopped so far on this path either yet before MDV didWe are on a regroup to see what IBM needs :hysterical: ehCheers for YearsColin :hysterical:

Edited by kamicota

securitybreach

I was just kidding about that. I do not think it will be a problem installing any distro first. So yeah I you want to install Ultimate first, then go right ahead. Now the partitioning part, that all depends how big you want /, /home, and swap. Some may disagree but I do not think it matters how you partition your disk. I personally make the first one /, the second one swap and the third /home. Note: You can reuse the same /home and swap for any distros on this machine.Hope that helps.Thanks

Thanks JoshCan understand ONE @ / but where in the heck does the second or even third distro go IF we have 15GB / 4GB swap and 140GB /home on a 160GB drive???By the way Mepis 3.5 is loading LIVEcd now on IBMCheers for YearsColin ;)

securitybreach
Shoot ARE WE havin' FUN ;) Had to redo hardrive on the IBM to full 160GB (we will leave the reason at that) --->>> Ultimate LIVEdvd did not load and neither did Vector linux Classic INSTALL which stopped so far on this path either yet before MDV didWe are on a regroup to see what IBM needs :hysterical: ehCheers for YearsColin :hysterical:
So the livecd/DVDs did not work or did you get an error on the installations? Also, did you compare the md5sums for each distro? The reason I ask is I am just trying to figure out why none of the distros you listed ran correctly. But then again I really do not see that happening 3 times.Do you get any kind of common error between them, so we can figure out what is going one? Thanks

JoshAt this point in time it does not worry me - THINK the main things that I need to resolve are--->>>Which is the easiest distro as the primary one to add new ones to their grub which then will be the first installedAnd how in the hech do I add a distro if the harddrive is totally full with / Swap and /Home of the first distroCheers for YearsColin ;)

securitybreach
JoshAt this point in time it does not worry me - THINK the main things that I need to resolve are--->>>Which is the easiest distro as the primary one to add new ones to their grub which then will be the first installedAnd how in the hech do I add a distro if the harddrive is totally full with / Swap and /Home of the first distroCheers for YearsColin ;)
Ok I have never heard of a distro thats automatically adds another distro to grub. I am pretty sure that you have to manually add it, although there may be an application that does this.As far as installing with a full harddrive, you can resize /home with GParted http://gparted.sourceforge.net/larry/resize/resizing.htmAlthough it would be 10x easier to just leave enough diskspace for the new distro.For instance, your root (/) partition should be between 8-20gb depending on how many applications you plan on installing. Next your swap should be 1.5x your ram unless you have over 2gb then it really does not matter how big you make swap. I still make mine 2x my ram even though I have 8gb. So thats only 24gb of your 160gb. Next make the /home partition however big you would like it but be sure to leave room for another partition (distro).So it is up to you try to resize /home with GParted or reinstall and leave room for another distro. Hope this helps.Thanks Thanks

Josh does 8-20G for / partition have any bearing on this --->>>Interpretation here is that I always have up to 25GB for / partition and I can install a new Linux distro in the same partitionThis is NOVEMBERS' child logic here ;) Cheers for YearsColin :thumbsup:SHOOT thinking--->>> KNOPPIX is slowing to a halt @ 22% :rolleyes:Nearly time for another Gparted :hysterical: :hysterical:

Edited by kamicota

securitybreach

Not at all. I was just saying the minimum should be around 8. You could make / as big as you wanted but there usually is not a need for over 20gb. I use 12gb for / and I have only used 5.4gb but then again I use lightweight apps.Thanks

JoshSo the second distro goes into it's OWN 8GB / or so???And by the way Knoppix LXDE hung up so long even the IMPATIENTLY/Patient Scorpio gave up on it ;) Cheers for yearsColin :hysterical:

securitybreach

Yes, each distro has to have its own root partition. You can share /home and swap but root you cannot. BTW what are the specs on the machine in question?Thanks

securitybreach

I was asking about the specs because I thought maybe you did not have enough ram or something. Since you said the installs were hanging, but your specs look fine so I dunno.Thanks

JoshJust loaded MDV Gnome Live and found there is a 1GB --->>>SWAP??? partition at the FRONT of the 160GB drive that may happened with Knoppix Install :hysterical: or something elso So for now it is back to Gparted and delete everything and then prepare for LESS / Partitions IE below the 25GB I have been giving them and leaving room for more distros/distro to be installedCheers for YearsColin ;)

Thanks JoshWILL do that and what appears to be the INITIAL Linux Distro (Live) is being loaded now --->>>MDV 2010 Gnome and will obviously adjust the 160GB to lesser proportions that I have EVER ;) done so that MORE distros can be installedCheers for YearsColin :hysterical:

Josh--->>>MDV 2010Gnome being installed = 10GB = / 2GB = Swap and 20GB = /HomeReady for the nest Linux install tonight--->>>Any suggestions ;) (PLEASE don't say Arch :hysterical: )Then it may be OFF to thje Quad for a simultaneous install with IBM and Ultimate on the Quad :hysterical: Cheers for YearsColin

securitybreach
Josh--->>>MDV 2010Gnome being installed = 10GB = / 2GB = Swap and 20GB = /HomeReady for the nest Linux install tonight--->>>Any suggestions ;) (PLEASE don't say Arch :hysterical: )Then it may be OFF to thje Quad for a simultaneous install with IBM and Ultimate on the Quad :hysterical: Cheers for YearsColin
Linux Mint or Chakra (Archlinux livecd) http://www.chakra-project.org/Thanks

You know something JoshI BELIEVE in ALLEGORIES and Golden Tongued Wisdom and you --->>>Chakra is JUST one of those SO while another OS is being installed SOMEHWERE :"> :"> :"> ;) :hysterical: :hysterical: WILL be downloading ChackraOOPS!!! :thumbsup: :w00t: :w00t: can ONLY do it on the 4600+ as the IBM only has a read DVD and the Quad Needs LinuxWhat a COFFUFFLE eh :w00t: :hysterical: :hysterical: Cheers for YearsColin :thumbsup:

securitybreach

I have never used Chakra but it seems to be a livecd with KDEMod. KDEMod is a custom version KDE just for Archlinux. The livecd is an easier install since it can be installed from livecd and is more of a point and click installer.

Chakra, a fast, user-friendly and extremely powerful Live CD and/or distrolet based on the award winning KDE (K Desktop Environment) and on the GNU/Linux distribution for connoisseurs: Arch Linux.
Thanks

Josh --- This may be an OOPPSS!!! because am downlaoding Chaktra 4 Alapha ISOMaybe should have gone back to 3And see there ARE KDE 4 and KDE 3 downloads so MOI ;) still confused BUT :hysterical: :hysterical: Cheers for YearsColin :thumbsup:

securitybreach

I dunno I have never used it but the Alpha is the installer. It is still Archlinux just with an installer. I have heard good thing about it. The installer is supposed to be really stable.Thankls

Shoot AS ALWAYS you just lost me :w00t: :w00t: Thanks--->>>So back to IBM for a while then will repeat WILL burn Chakrta Ap[lpha 4 and see where we go from there --->>> as for After install you end up with pure Archlinux just already setup with KDEMod. --->>> it may be past your beddybyes :hysterical: Cheers for YearsColin :thumbsup: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :pirate: :pirate: :pirate: 22mins for Chakra :hysterical: