• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• epp_b

• ibe98765

• Marsden11

• Prelude76

What irks me is that I can get a complete OS with 40 million lines of code for $150 but if I want something like Adobe Photoshop, I have to pay $600 or $700! That's out of line to my mind...
Oh pleese don't they teach anyone the laws of supply and demand? XP is an OS EVERY computer needs an OS. Because of that Microsoft sells alot of them. So they can ask for a low price and still make buckets of money. Walmart sells lots of stuff too. You can buy stuff at Walmart for less because they sell alot of it. They make buckets of money doing that. Photoshop is a very specialized app. Most people don't own it or need it. They can't sell buckets of them so to make a decent amount of money they have to charge a large amount of money to get enough money to make a profit.
Yes, I recognize the laws of supply and demand. There is a lot of science in determining proper price points. In the computer industry, if your price is too low, you may make a lot of sales but incur a lot of tech questions, requiring more staffing. If it is too high, then your sales may lag and you may leave an opening for others to come in at a lower price point and gain market share with a "good enough" solution. IMO, I think that a lower price point for Photoshop would open the product to more users and expand Adobe's market share. I'm thinking something around $400 would be a better number. I know a lot of people who have bootleg copies because of the price point that Adobe sets. I could get one of these copies but choose not to...

Guest ThunderRiver

Honestly though, I don't know what's the fuss about Microsoft EULA.. and why we even ended up on this topic when we were supposed to be talking about Longhorn.WPA is a trend, and Adobe is employing product activation in its next new release as well, so obviously you can only install the applicaton on One or two (at most) computers.Well, good luck with the debating..You just need to wish that Windows Xp will soon be unsupported once Longhorn or BlackComb server is out because Microsoft plans to release a patch to remove WPA once Windows Xp is no longer being supported.

Ok, back to Longhorn.Someone posts an unsubstaniated rumor concerning Longhorn and everyone chims in on a rumor which turns out to be incorrect.Anyone care to discuss the real features coming in Longhorn?

Since Paul personally attends all the MS events including Microsoft's annual Financial Analysts Meeting, held in July 2003. I'd say his info is pretty accurate.

Since Paul personally attends all the MS events including Microsoft's annual Financial Analysts Meeting, held in July 2003. I'd say his info is pretty accurate.
Second that motion!!! :rolleyes:

Assuming his info is accurate, I'm not too comfortable with the idea that Microsoft will be integrating anti virus detection into the OS. Given their current security problems, what would make anyone think they'd get this right? He also states "But the basic problem with Mac OS X isn't going away: It's a classic desktop operating system that doesn't offer anything in the way of usability advancements over previous desktop operating systems. Today, Windows XP and its task-based interface are far superior to anything in Mac OS X." I use both XP and OS X, and I have to say that I don't find anything at all superior about XP. To me, this shows a bias towards Microsoft and against any other OS, which taints anything he says.

He, like yourself, uses both operating systems. His comments concerning OS X are from his hands on with Longhorn. Have you played with Longhorn? He is comparing Longhorn to OS X... He is not comparing XP to OS X and that being the case is dead on... in my opinion.

He is comparing Longhorn to OS X... He is not comparing XP to OS X and that being the case is dead on... in my opinion.
If you re-read the quote, you'll see that he is, in fact, comparing today's XP against today's OS X. Today, Windows XP and its task-based interface are far superior to anything in Mac OS X. No mention of Longhorn there. I have not used Longhorn, so if he wants to claim it is superior to OS X, I'm in no position to question his assertion. But, that's not what he said.

Ok, back to Longhorn.Someone posts an unsubstaniated rumor concerning Longhorn and everyone chims in on a rumor which turns out to be incorrect.Anyone care to discuss the real features coming in Longhorn?
FYI, my information came from www.winsupersite.com

You are correct. He voiced his opinion as a user of both. The rest of the quote, he voices his experience with Longhorn compared to OS X.And the rest of the quote..."In the future, Longhorn will further distance Windows from OS X. From a graphical standpoint, there won't be any comparison."

Longhorn will include a database-like file system add-on called Windows Future Storage (WinFS), which is based on technology from SQL Server 2003 (code-named Yukon). This file system add-on will abstract physical file locations from the user and allow for the sorts of complex data searching that are impossible today. For example, today, your email messages, contacts, Word documents, and music files are all completely separate. That won't be the case in Longhorn. WinFS requires NTFS.This is the part that scares me the most. How are you supposed to orgainize your data!? So it has advanced search capabilities...yipee skipee. Give me directories. I don't want to have to type in a search query or rearrange/reorganize a file listing every time I want to find a certain file!Or perhaps I'm misunderstanding this. Here it says that the files are all in a big mess, instead of separate. Although, later in the page, it goes on to say that WinFS is an implemented addition to NTFS. Are there directories/file folders in Longhorn???

epp_b, I'm quoting from your first post in this thread.<<It's said to be completely incompatible with any current software hardware that work with FAT32 and NTFS, because of it's new filesystem.>>Please show me and the rest of us where Paul says Longhorn will be incompatible with current software-hardware because of Win-FS. Win-FS is just new technology... not a new file system. It sits on top of NTFS and does not replace it.

Yes and no...There are directories but they are hidden from the user just like system files are hidden by default from the user in XP.I think it is a bit early to start panicing... Longhorn is 2+ years away and who knows how many changes there will be between now and then.

Oops -- most of my info came from WinSuperSite. I got that piece of info from some other tech news site (I don't remember where, sorry)The cosmetic gripes about flapping windows, etc. are from WinSuperSite.

There are directories but they are hidden from the user just like system files are hidden by default from the user in XP.
As long as I can unhide them and keep them that way :rolleyes:

There are directories but they are hidden from the user just like system files are hidden by default from the user in XP.
As long as I can unhide them and keep them that way B)
i think longhorn sounds like Microsoft wants to own your hard drive. they already started the trend with XP by having undeletable folders and files. now they will hide directories too?lets just hope they get rid of those stupid "MY FOLDERS" like My Documents, My Pictures, My eBooks, My Videos, My PSP8 Files, My Tax Files, My Illegally Downloaded MP3s, My Private Documents, and so on. B)

lets just hope they get rid of those stupid "MY FOLDERS" like My Documents, My Pictures, My eBooks, My Videos, My PSP8 Files, My Tax Files, My Illegally Downloaded MP3s, My Private Documents, and so on.  B)
That's what they're going toward...Simple folder names: Games, Office, Internet, Utilities, and so on... Why they don't just call it the MacFS is beyond me! B)

nlinecomputers

As I understand the new file system it will sit atop the NTFS as an indexing system. There will be My Documents and My Music but instead of being a single folder it will be a query. My Documents will search your entire hard drive for all of your documents and display them in this "folder". To me this is a good thing as I have plenty of brain dead clients that will never GROK what a directory is and they are constantly loosing files. It will be an SQL based index, a sort of a google for the hard drive. And I would bet that power users could bypass or turn it off, but I suspect if it works as well as they promise it would be a very useful tool. I've several gigs of files and a good index system would make life much easier.

i think longhorn sounds like Microsoft wants to own your hard drive.  they already started the trend with XP by having undeletable folders and files.  now they will hide directories too?
That's my biggest fear with Longhorn. Earlier this year, I read somewhere [unsubstantiated rumor] that as part of the new file system, MS would require an annual license fee in order to continue to have access to your data files. No renewal, no data [/unsubstantiated rumor]. Part of me thinks that even Microsoft wouldn't be that stupid, but you never know.

Guest ThunderRiver

bjf123,That's truly a rumor + paranoia. Microsoft doesn't own your data. YukonFS is sitting on top of NTFS. People are afraid because they think once they dual boot between Longhorn and Linux, they would not be able to view files in Longhorn partition. That's just entirely untrue.Here is a scenario you might find useful.You turn on your Longhorn, and download some mp3 and word documents to your hard drive. Lets say your mp3 file is called Music.mp3 and your document is named as MyWork.docAlright, lets say you download the mp3 file Music.mp3 to the following folderD:\Music\Misc\and the word document MyWork.doc to H:\Documents\ThunderRiver\LovelyPlace\And then lets say in a couple weeks, you feel like editing your word documents while listening to your mp3 file. It is easy.Even though the files are physically stored in that directories I mentioned above, you only need to go to the following folders, such as\My Music\My Documents foldersand open these files ..and wallah! All the files are opened with a few clicks.Now if you reboot and switch to Linux,you would have to mount the NTFS..and browse directories just like you used to under Windows Xp./mnt/D/Music/Misc/Music.mp3and/mnt/H/Documents/ThunderRiver/LovelyPlace/MyWork.docDoes that scenario make any sense to you guys? I might make a video to make it more self-explanatory...but that's how Longhorn is supposed to work.In case you are wondernig, all the files stored in the hard drive, are dynamically linked and classified into (user) designatied/specified folder. It does NOT make duplicate copies of the documents into your personal folder; thus it doesn't not waste your memory space.

bjf123, That's truly a rumor + paranoia. Microsoft doesn't own your data.
Hence, my labeling it as "unsubstantiated rumor." B) I can't see MS doing what was claimed in that article I read earlier this year. From a strictly business point of view, implementing such a system would create a much more consistent revenue stream, since all users would be forced to pay up each year in order to keep using the software. From a PR point of view, however, it would be suicide. Advanced users and businesses would flock to Linux to avoid the perpetual increase in costs. I don't see MS making that mistake.

[unsubstantiated rumor] that as part of the new file system, MS would require an annual license fee in order to continue to have access to your data files. No renewal, no data [/unsubstantiated rumor]
I sure hope this is nothing but a rumor!

Prelude76 hit it right on the nose.  Two versions: newbie and advanced (XP Home and Pro are NOT this way).  Newbie versions will install all the bloat and crap that power users will never use (because they want to use their own stuff), because newbie users will probably never know or care about it anyway.  The advanced would give you options of what to install, and what not to install.
of course you know that if you do a custom install of Windows, you can choose to include (or not include) a whole lot of options? You don't HAVE to install Movie Maker or MS Messenger, etc. Or after install, go to Add/Remove programs in the Control Panel and select Add/Remove Windows Components. There is a lot you can remove.No, you won't be able to remove certain components that MS considers core, such as IE. With mmemory and hardware so cheap, I don't consider this a big deal.C'mon - methinks you are just scraping the bottom of your excuse bag to try and justify, more for yourself than for anyone else, reasons for not upgrading. I've been there and I've done that myself. Hopefully, I learned a lesson and I won't be so shortsighted in the future....
let me hit it back right at the nose. B) XP does NOT let you do custom install and take out movie maker. MSN Messenger CAN be hacked out, but Movie Maker, Outlook Express, and Internet Explorer are permanent. only way to remove ONE of them (Movie Maker) is to do a hex-level hack of a system dll, so please, spare me this "XP is customizable" spiel.as i said before, Windows XP default boot-up - 130mb RAM used. with MAJOR tweaking, you can drop that to 80mb RAM, but when you add anti-virus and firewall and a couple of drivers, your pushing 100mb RAM JUST TO RUN THE OS!. I got rid of that Windows Virus know as XP and am running Windows 2000 SP4 right now. if i *WANT* to install media player 9, i just download it. i chose not to, loading BSPlayer and Winamp instead. if i *WANT* a chat program, i could download MSN messenger, but i chose Trillian instead. and nope, no Movie Maker in Windows 2000. went to services.msc, and only disabled about 6 items from default, wheres in XP, i usually had to disable about 20+ useless services. default windows 2000 bootup uses only 65mb RAM, but after disabling a few services, and loading anti-virus/firewall services, my OS is using 55mb RAM.now, you can throw a whopper of an arguement about "RAM is cheap, HDD is cheap", but if you're dealing with 256mb RAM system with a 20GB drive, that ram and drive will disappear a LOT faster on XP than on win2000, yet you get the safe security and power of an NT-based OS.couple of odd things i noticed: in my XP, one Xvid movie couldnt play, get getting 'blurred'. tried every trick in book, but still didnt work. i load up Win2000, and the nimo codec pack, and guess what? that same movie players PERFECTLY now. also, whenever i burned a CD, my internet DSL got disconnected. every single time. very very annoying. re-installing XP didnt help. now in Win2000, DSL never ever drops connection, no matter how many CDs i burn.better hardware compatiblity? i didnt notice. my win2K found my usb devices (joystick, steering wheel, mouse, digital camera) no problemo.miss XP themes? load up Windowblind 4. their theming engine blows XP away. and they have cool Linux themes. ;)the annoying bug in XP that prevents some .AVIs being deleted, even after reboot? doesnt happen on Win2000. i even tried a couple of high-end 3D games and they ran flawlessly in win2000. many gamers swear by this OS.so if an OS is faster, more stable, more compatible, and gives you more CHOICES than a newer OS, wouldnt that make me feel that Longhorn will be another step in the wrong direction?

Alright, lets say you download the mp3 file Music.mp3 to the following folderD:\Music\Misc\and the word document MyWork.doc to H:\Documents\ThunderRiver\LovelyPlace\And then lets say in a couple weeks, you feel like editing your word documents while listening to your mp3 file. It is easy.Even though the files are physically stored in that directories I mentioned above, you only need to go to the following folders, such as\My Music\My Documents foldersand open these files ..and wallah! All the files are opened with a few clicks.Now if you reboot and switch to Linux,you would have to mount the NTFS..and browse directories just like you used to under Windows Xp./mnt/D/Music/Misc/Music.mp3and/mnt/H/Documents/ThunderRiver/LovelyPlace/MyWord.doc
actually, you explained it perfectly, Thunderriver. it DOES sound good. its basically like shortcutted file links, right?as long as they let you go into full path mode if you want to.i just wish they make Longhorn Pro similar to windows 2000, and Longhorn N00b similar to XP. B)

nlinecomputers

Prelude,It's more then just shortcuts. It is full database use. As I understand it you can query the data base for phrases in "lost" docs(I can't remember the name of the forth quarter report but I know what is in it.) and add desriptions to files (Yeah I know it is Setup.exe but setup of what?) and so forth. Like I said sort of a google on your hard drive.

<<XP does NOT let you do custom install >>So it is your contention, that I the XP user, can't create a customn Unattended Install with tools that ship with every copy of XP?Not only can I create this winnt.sif (for use in the ISO) file but I can burn the image to an ISO then just boot to an unattended install CD and sit back and watch it happen...I guess your welcome to believe anything you want...[Data]AutoPartition=1MsDosInitiated="0"UnattendedInstall="Yes"[unattended]UnattendMode=FullUnattendedOemSkipEula=YesOemPreinstall=NoTargetPath=\WINNT[GuiUnattended]AdminPassword=*AutoLogon=YesAutoLogonCount=1OEMSkipRegional=1TimeZone=15OemSkipWelcome=1EncryptedAdminPassword=NO[userData]ProductID=FullName="Main"OrgName="*"ComputerName=Main[Display]BitsPerPel=24Xresolution=1024YResolution=768 Vrefresh=75[TapiLocation]CountryCode=1AreaCode=602[identification] JoinWorkgroup=home[Networking]InstallDefaultComponents=Yes[branding]BrandIEUsingUnattended=YesHome_Page=about:mozilla[Proxy]Proxy_Enable=0Use_Same_Proxy=0[Components]msmsgs=offmsnexplr=off freecell=offhearts=offminesweeper=offpinball=offsolitaire=offspider=offzonegames=off[shell]DefaultStartPanelOff = YesDefaultThemesOff = Yes[GuiRunOnce]%systemdrive%\install\main_batch.cmd%systemdrive%\install\hotfixes.cmd%systemdrive%\install\applications.cmdmain_batch.cmdCLS@echo offECHO.ECHO Over the next few minutes you will see automated installations ECHO of various sofware applications, windows updates, and registryECHO hacks being implemented. The computer will restart automaticallyECHO once the whole process has finished!ECHO.ECHO Copying Tools...COPY "%systemdrive%\Install\Tools\deluser.exe" "%systemroot%\"COPY "%systemdrive%\Install\Tools\psshutdown.exe" "%systemroot%\"COPY "%systemdrive%\Install\Tools\UPTIME.exe" "%systemdrive%\Documents and Settings\%username%"ECHO.ECHO Removing Wallpapers...DEL "%systemroot%\Blue Lace 16.bmp"DEL "%systemroot%\Coffee Bean.bmp"DEL "%systemroot%\FeatherTexture.bmp"DEL "%systemroot%\Gone Fishing.bmp"DEL "%systemroot%\Greenstone.bmp"DEL "%systemroot%\Prairie Wind.bmp"DEL "%systemroot%\Rhododendron.bmp"DEL "%systemroot%\River Sumida.bmp"DEL "%systemroot%\Santa Fe Stucco.bmp"DEL "%systemroot%\Soap Bubbles.bmp"DEL "%systemroot%\Zapotec.bmp"DEL "%systemroot%\Web\Wallpaper\Crystal.jpg"DEL "%systemroot%\Web\Wallpaper\Friend.jpg"DEL "%systemroot%\Web\Wallpaper\Home.jpg"DEL "%systemroot%\Web\Wallpaper\Moon flower.jpg"DEL "%systemroot%\Web\Wallpaper\Peace.jpg"DEL "%systemroot%\Web\Wallpaper\Power.jpg"DEL "%systemroot%\Web\Wallpaper\Purple flower.jpg"DEL "%systemroot%\Web\Wallpaper\Radiance.jpg"DEL "%systemroot%\Web\Wallpaper\Ripple.jpg"DEL "%systemroot%\Web\Wallpaper\Stonehenge.jpg"DEL "%systemroot%\Web\Wallpaper\Vortec space.jpg"DEL "%systemroot%\Web\Wallpaper\Ascent.jpg"DEL "%systemroot%\Web\Wallpaper\Autumn.jpg"DEL "%systemroot%\Web\Wallpaper\Azul.jpg"DEL "%systemroot%\Web\Wallpaper\Follow.jpg"DEL "%systemroot%\Web\Wallpaper\Red moon desert.jpg"DEL "%systemroot%\Web\Wallpaper\Tulips.jpg"DEL "%systemroot%\Web\Wallpaper\Wind.jpg"ECHO.ECHO Removing useless shortcuts...DEL "%systemdrive%\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Windows Update.lnk"DEL "%systemdrive%\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Set Program Access and Defaults.lnk"DEL "%systemdrive%\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Windows Catalog.lnk"ECHO.ECHO Removing Screensavers...DEL "%systemroot%\system32\dllcache\scrnsave.scr"DEL "%systemroot%\system32\dllcache\ss3dfo.scr"DEL "%systemroot%\system32\dllcache\ssbezier.scr"DEL "%systemroot%\system32\dllcache\ssflwbox.scr"DEL "%systemroot%\system32\dllcache\ssmarque.scr"DEL "%systemroot%\system32\dllcache\ssmypics.scr"DEL "%systemroot%\system32\dllcache\ssmyst.scr"DEL "%systemroot%\system32\dllcache\sspipes.scr"DEL "%systemroot%\system32\dllcache\ssstars.scr"DEL "%systemroot%\system32\dllcache\sstext3d.scr"DEL "%systemroot%\system32\scrnsave.scr"DEL "%systemroot%\system32\ss3dfo.scr"DEL "%systemroot%\system32\ssbezier.scr"DEL "%systemroot%\system32\ssflwbox.scr"DEL "%systemroot%\system32\ssmarque.scr"DEL "%systemroot%\system32\ssmypics.scr"DEL "%systemroot%\system32\ssmyst.scr"DEL "%systemroot%\system32\sspipes.scr"DEL "%systemroot%\system32\ssstars.scr"DEL "%systemroot%\system32\sstext3d.scr"ECHO.ECHO Copying Windows XP 3D Screensaver...COPY "%systemdrive%\Install\Powertoys\3D Windows XP.scr" "%systemroot%\system32"ECHO.ECHO Copying patched UXTheme.dll...REN %systemroot%\System32\dllcache\uxtheme.dll uxtheme.oldCOPY "%systemdrive%\Install\uxtheme\uxtheme.dll" "%systemroot%\System32\dllcache\"REN %systemroot%\System32\uxtheme.dll uxtheme.oldCOPY "%systemdrive%\Install\uxtheme\uxtheme.dll" "%systemroot%\System32\"ECHO.ECHO Installing MSN Messenger 6.0.0602 FinalECHO Please wait...start /wait %systemdrive%\install\MSN\MsnMsgs.msi /QBECHO.ECHO Installing DirectX 9.0aECHO Please wait...start /wait %systemdrive%\install\DirectX9a\dxsetup.exe /opkECHO.ECHO Installing Windows Media Player 9ECHO Please wait...start /wait %systemdrive%\install\WMP9\MPSetupXP.exe /Q:A /R:NECHO.ECHO Installing Movie Maker 2.0ECHO Please wait...start /wait %systemdrive%\install\MovieMaker\mm20.msi /qn ECHO.ECHO Installing TweakUI 2.10 PowertoyCOPY "%systemdrive%\install\PowerToys\TweakUI.exe" "%systemroot%\System32\"COPY "%systemdrive%\install\PowerToys\TweakUI 2.10 Powertoy.lnk" "%systemdrive%\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\"ECHO.ECHO Installing Task Switcher PowertoyECHO Please wait...start /wait %systemdrive%\install\PowerToys\TaskswitchPowertoySetup.exe /s /v/qnECHO.ECHO Applying Registry Tweaks...REGEDIT /S %systemdrive%\install\RegTweaks.regECHO.ECHO Installing .NET Framework v1.1ECHO Please wait...start /wait %systemdrive%\install\NetFramework\netfx.msi /QBECHO.ECHO Installing Microsoft JavaVM - Build 3810ECHO Please wait...start /wait %systemdrive%\install\JavaVM\msjavwu.exe /Q:A /R:NECHO.EXIT hotfixes.cmdCLS@echo offECHO.ECHO Installing Windows Update HotfixesECHO.ECHO Installing Q329115...start /wait %systemdrive%\install\Hotfixes\Q329115_WXP_SP2_x86_ENU.exe /Q /M /ZECHO.ECHO Installing Q329048...start /wait %systemdrive%\install\Hotfixes\Q329048_WXP_SP2_x86_ENU.exe /Q /M /ZECHO.ECHO Installing Q323255...start /wait %systemdrive%\install\Hotfixes\Q323255_WXP_SP2_x86_ENU.exe /Q /M /ZECHO.ECHO Installing Q329834...start /wait %systemdrive%\install\Hotfixes\Q329834_WXP_SP2_x86_ENU.exe /Q /M /ZECHO.ECHO Installing Q329170...start /wait %systemdrive%\install\Hotfixes\Q329170_WXP_SP2_x86_ENU.exe /Q /M /ZECHO.ECHO Installing Q328310...start /wait %systemdrive%\install\Hotfixes\Q328310_WXP_SP2_x86_ENU.exe /Q /M /ZECHO.ECHO Installing Q329390...start /wait %systemdrive%\install\Hotfixes\Q329390_WXP_SP2_x86_ENU.exe /Q /M /ZECHO.ECHO Installing Q810833...start /wait %systemdrive%\install\Hotfixes\Q810833_WXP_SP2_x86_ENU.exe /Q /M /ZECHO.ECHO Installing Q810577...start /wait %systemdrive%\install\Hotfixes\Q810577_WXP_SP2_x86_ENU.exe /Q /M /ZECHO.ECHO Installing Q331953...start /wait %systemdrive%\install\Hotfixes\Q331953_WXP_SP2_x86_ENU.exe /Q /M /ZECHO.ECHO Installing Q814995...start /wait %systemdrive%\install\Hotfixes\Q814995_WXP_SP2_x86_ENU.exe /Q /M /ZECHO.ECHO Installing Q811630...start /wait %systemdrive%\install\Hotfixes\Q811630_WXP_SP2_x86_ENU.exe /Q /M /ZECHO.ECHO Installing JScript 5.6...start /wait %systemdrive%\install\Hotfixes\js56nen.exe /Q:A /R:NECHO.ECHO Installing Q810565...start /wait %systemdrive%\install\Hotfixes\Q810565_WXP_SP2_x86_ENU.exe /Q /M /ZECHO.ECHO Installing Q814033...start /wait %systemdrive%\install\Hotfixes\Q814033_WXP_SP2_x86_ENU.exe /Q /M /ZECHO.ECHO Installing Q815021...start /wait %systemdrive%\install\Hotfixes\Q815021_WXP_SP2_x86_ENU.exe /Q /M /ZECHO.ECHO Installing Q811493...start /wait %systemdrive%\install\Hotfixes\Q811493_WXP_SP2_x86_ENU.exe /Q /M /ZECHO.ECHO Installing Q819639...start /wait %systemdrive%\install\Hotfixes\WindowsMedia9-KB819639-x86-ENU.exe /Q:A /R:NECHO.ECHO Installing Q817606...start /wait %systemdrive%\install\Hotfixes\Q817606_WXP_SP2_x86_ENU.exe /Q /M /ZECHO.ECHO Installing Q823559...start /wait %systemdrive%\install\Hotfixes\WindowsXP-KB823559-x86-ENU.exe /Q /M /ZECHO.ECHO Installing Q823980...start /wait %systemdrive%\install\Hotfixes\WindowsXP-KB823980-x86-ENU.exe /Q /M /ZECHO.ECHO Installing Q821557...start /wait %systemdrive%\install\Hotfixes\WindowsXP-KB821557-x86-ENU.exe /Q /M /ZECHO.ECHO Installing Q329441...start /wait %systemdrive%\install\Hotfixes\Q329441_WXP_SP2_en.exe /Q /M /ZECHO.ECHO Installing Q817287...start /wait %systemdrive%\install\Hotfixes\Q817287.exe /Q:A /R:NECHO.ECHO Installing Q821253 Windows Error Reporting Update...start /wait %systemdrive%\install\Hotfixes\WindowsXP-KB821253-x86-ENU.exe /Q /M /ZECHO.ECHO Installing June 2003, Cumulative Patch for IE6...start /wait %systemdrive%\install\Hotfixes\q818529.exe /Q:A /R:NECHO.ECHO Installing April 2003, Cumulative Patch for OE6...start /wait %systemdrive%\install\Hotfixes\q330994.exe /Q:A /R:NECHO.EXITapplications.cmdCLS@echo offECHO.ECHO Deleting useless ASP.NET User Account created by .NET Framework 1.1...start /wait DELUSER /Q aspnetECHO.ECHO Installing Metapad 3.5...REN %systemdrive%\WINDOWS\System32\dllcache\notepad.exe notepad.oldCOPY "%systemdrive%\Install\Applications\metapad\notepad.exe" "%systemdrive%\WINDOWS\System32\dllcache\"REN %systemdrive%\WINDOWS\System32\notepad.exe notepad.oldCOPY "%systemdrive%\Install\Applications\metapad\notepad.exe" "%systemdrive%\WINDOWS\System32\"REN %systemdrive%\WINDOWS\notepad.exe notepad.oldCOPY "%systemdrive%\Install\Applications\metapad\notepad.exe" "%systemdrive%\WINDOWS\"ECHO.ECHO Applying Metapad 3.5 Filters...REGEDIT /S %systemdrive%\install\Applications\metapad\filters.regECHO.ECHO Installing Media Player Classic 6.4.5.6...MD "%systemdrive%\Program Files\Media Player Classic"COPY "%systemdrive%\install\Applications\Media Player Classic\mplayerc.exe" "%systemdrive%\Program Files\Media Player Classic\"COPY "%systemdrive%\install\Applications\Media Player Classic\Media Player Classic.lnk" "%systemdrive%\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\"ECHO.ECHO Installing ATI Control Panel for Catalyst 3.6ECHO Please wait...start /wait %systemdrive%\install\Applications\ATI_CP_3_6\Setup.exe -s -f1"%systemdrive%\install\Applications\ATI_CP_3_6\setup.iss"ECHO.ECHO Installing Diskeeper 7.0.428ECHO Please wait...start /wait %systemdrive%\install\Applications\diskeeper\Setup.exe /s /v/qnECHO.ECHO Updating Diskeeper 7.0.428 to 7.0.430ECHO Please wait...start /wait %systemdrive%\install\Applications\diskeeper\us_dk70_wup_build430.exe /s /v/qnECHO.ECHO Installing Nero Burning ROM v5.5.10.42ECHO Please wait...start /wait %systemdrive%\install\Applications\Nero\Nero551042.exe /silent /norebootECHO.ECHO Registering Nero Burning ROM...REGEDIT /S %systemdrive%\install\Applications\Nero\register.regECHO.ECHO Installing Symantec Antivirus Corporate 8.1ECHO Please wait...start /wait %systemdrive%\install\Applications\sav\sav810b821.exe /qnECHO.ECHO Updating Symantec Antivirus Virus Definitions (July 14th 2003)...COPY "%systemdrive%\install\Applications\sav\vd155c08.xdb.xdb" "%systemdrive%\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\Norton AntiVirus Corporate Edition\7.5\"ECHO.ECHO Restarting the PC in 1 minute...psshutdown.exe -r -t 60 -f -m "Windows XP will now restart in 1 minute, this will give enough time for the shortcuts to update and for the shell to fully load before its ready to restart!"ECHO.ECHO Deleting Temp Installation Files...RD /S /Q %systemdrive%\installRD /S /Q %systemdrive%\DriversECHO.EXIT

Prelude,It's more then just shortcuts.  It is full database use.  As I understand it you can query the data base for phrases in "lost" docs(I can't remember the name of the forth quarter report but I know what is in it.) and add desriptions to files  (Yeah I know it is Setup.exe but setup of what?) and so forth.  Like I said sort of a google on your hard drive.
i dont think i WANT google on my hard drive :) who knows what some dark and hidden secrets one may find :)