• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• epp_b

• ibe98765

• Marsden11

• Prelude76

Guest ThunderRiver
It's said to be completely incompatible with any current software hardware that work with FAT32 and NTFS, because of it's new filesystem.  Who on Earth wants to spend thousands of dollars to buy all new hardware and software, just to run the latest OS from Microsoft anyway (oh yeah, and did I mention that it will probably be mostly Microsoft software that will work with Longhorn to begin with....hmmm, sounds like Microsoft to me)?Not only that, but knowing how Windows XP already requires a very decent machine to run anywhere near swiftly, I can't begin to imaging how slow Longhorn will be.  This means the new components users will be forced to buy will have to be the latest and greatest, costing even more money!Even some of the concepts are stupid and pointless...flapping around half-transparent rotating windows, the overall ugly "plex" look, and the idea that, once again, Microsoft will have to release hundreds of patches before it's half the operating system they intended it to be.Microsoft needs to rethink it's "product lifecycle" threories.  When you make a product, you don't say "I'm going to support this product for only a certain period of time, after which you will be forced to buy the new version of the product with new bugs and problems, just when you're starting to get comfortable with the one you have.  If you don't we won't support you, and you'll be screwed".You make a product, and you support it -- and that's final.  Go ahead make new versions of the product.  Some people like the idea of fancy (albeit useless) new features, so they'll bite.  Just don't drag the rest of us down with them!
For those that don't like the idea of Windows Longhorn, it is still too early to say what it is going to be like. It is still in alpha stage, and nothing has been done to confirm its final status.Even for Windows Xp, Luna theme engine wasn't implemented until much later, and it was truly a surprise to the entire beta testing community.Now to your paranoia with NTFS incompatibility. Truth to be told, Microsoft is planning to build Yukon jounaling system on top of NTFS, not a brand new written from scratch file system. The reason is simple, even if Microsoft has all technology to introduce a new file sysytem, it is still too risky. It is no joke when it comes to people's personal file data getting lost due to some bug. Opne souce community is no exception. I have lost a number of files in RaiserFS before, and all I can say is that developing a file sytem takes more than just 2 years to do so. As technology progresses, a decent machine is required. I hope you don't expect running your Pentium 4 2.0 Ghz at year 2030. On the other hand, right at this moment, the new graphics engine only recommends a graphic cards that support DirectX 9.0, and certainly, a small investment will bring your system a new life. Not to mention all the visual effects you could enjoy along with it.Not all the concepts are useless or stupids, and if you say the graphics engine idea is stupid, maybe you should say that to Apple since they were the first one to introduce Quartz Extreme. On the other hand, I love the Quartz Extreme since it leaves your CPU free of graphics processing, so that you can run more programs and do more useful things with your PC.There is a life cycle for certain product, and you should not expect support that lasts till the day you die. Besides, it is a company practice, not for you to decide. Even Apple is retiring Mac OS 9, and why should Microsoft Windows 95/NT4 be exception?

Thanks ThunderRiver. :D "Installation and use. You may install, use, access, display and run one copy of the Product on a single computer, such as a workstation, terminal or other device ("Workstation Computer"). The Product may not be used by more than two (2) processors at any one time on any single Workstation Computer. You may permit a maximum of ten (10) computers or other electronic devices (each a "Device") to connect to the Workstation Computer to utilize the services of the Product solely for File and Print services, Internet Information Services, and remote access (including connection sharing and telephony services). The ten connection maximum includes any indirect connections made through "multiplexing" or other software or hardware which pools or aggregates connections. Except as otherwise permitted by the NetMeeting, Remote Assistance, and Remote Desktop features described below, you may not use the Product to permit any Device to use, access, display or run other executable software residing on the Workstation Computer, nor may you permit any Device to use, access, display, or run the Product or Product's user interface, unless the Device has a separate license for the Product. "Unless I missed something, it appears that the license is for ONE install only. Or has MS issued a update or revision to the original EULA?

Unless I missed something, it appears that the license is for ONE install only. Or has MS issued a update or revision to the original EULA?
Yep,that's what it says. Now I have read anecdotal stories from web sites over the years in which the writer claims that Microsoft would bend the rules to allow 1 processor on each of a workstation and a laptop. But I highly doubt Microsoft is that flexible. But it says in the fine print: one workstation.

....The Product may not be used by more than two (2) processors at any one time on any single Workstation Computer....You can't have a computer with two CPU's? Or maybe I misinterpreted this....You may permit a maximum of ten (10) computers or other electronic devices (each a "Device") to connect to the Workstation Computer to utilize the services of the Product solely for File and Print services, Internet Information Services, and remote.............Sounds like you can install Windows on up to ten machines, depending on what you use them for. Taken from http://www.microsoft.com/canada/licensing/...activation.mspx:...In some cases, the Microsoft EULA allows customers who are the primary user of Microsoft applications such as Office and Word to install one additional copy on their laptop computer for their exclusive use. This does not apply to product licenses acquired with the purchase of a PC. These OEM licenses are single-use licenses that cannot be transferred to another PC.Like I said, I don't use my desktop & laptop at the same time, BUT, I didn't purchase my copy of Windows 98 with a new PC :D (I bought it with a hard drive). Their different machines used at different times, and their both used myself, exclusively. Sounds like it follows the rules to me.These EULA's are filled with so much marketing mumbo-jumbo and fancy-schmancy word schemas, you could twist them to mean almost anything!

The EULA I copied came from Windows XP Pro. I think it is fairly straight forward:2 processors = 2 cpu'sIf you have a system with more than 2 cpu's you need to use a server edition of the software.One license = one system.Up to 10 network connections, each with it's own license.More then 10 network connections you need a server edition of the software.Peachy - thanks for your input also. :) epp_b - If I remember correctly users of Win 98 [as well as 95 and Win2k - could be NT and 3.x also] were allowed a copy on the desktop and laptop using the same license. The single license to a single machine started with XP. :( If I am in error of any of the above, please feel free to correct me. I think it is more important for us to have the right information then it is to determine who of us is right or wrong. :D

Well, Rons and Peachy, I'm reading what you're reading...checked the EULA on my own drive (thanx TR)...and it appears obvious to me that the little techie who said "no" was right. One machine per license. Period. Since so much software is getting to be like this, while even home users are starting to own more than one computer...I can safely say XP will be the last MS OS on my machines. I'm not wealthy enough to keep paying the kind of money required to keep both the OS and the software current.

epp_b - If I remember correctly users of Win 98 [as well as 95 and Win2k - could be NT and 3.x also] were allowed a copy on the desktop and laptop using the same license. The single license to a single machine started with XP.  :D
Good, then I'm safe from the Microsoft police :DI would think that Product Activation is the result of the fact that the single machine license policy starts with Windows XP, because so did PA.

From what I can tell, the Single computer thing has nothing to do with Product activation... I would be interested to read the EULA from full retail copy of XP to see what it says about multiple computers... This is a very interesting issue as I never recalled hearing about this with 95/98 as laptops weren't as common... I'd be interested to read a Win98 EULA to see if it says anything...

Well, I hope Longhorn will run the applications I like to use. Like most Windows users, for me "Windows" is 99% about applications that we like and use, and 1% about the operating system that runs these.

From what I can tell, the Single computer thing has nothing to do with Product activation...  I would be interested to read the EULA from full retail copy of XP to see what it says about multiple computers...  This is a very interesting issue as I never recalled hearing about this with 95/98 as laptops weren't as common...  I'd be interested to read a Win98 EULA to see if it says anything...
Here is the full EULA from a retail copy of WinXP Pro:END-USER LICENSE AGREEMENT FOR MICROSOFTSOFTWAREIMPORTANT-READ CAREFULLY: This End-UserLicense Agreement ("EULA") is a legal agreement between you(either an individual or a single entity) and MicrosoftCorporation for the Microsoft software that accompanies thisEULA, which includes computer software and may includeassociated media, printed materials, "online" or electronicdocumentation, and Internet-based services ("Software"). Anamendment or addendum to this EULA may accompany the Software. YOU AGREE TO BE BOUND BY THE TERMS OF THISEULA BY INSTALLING, COPYING, OR OTHERWISEUSING THE SOFTWARE. IF YOU DO NOT AGREE, DONOT INSTALL, COPY, OR USE THE SOFTWARE; YOUMAY RETURN IT TO YOUR PLACE OF PURCHASE FOR AFULL REFUND, IF APPLICABLE.1. GRANT OF LICENSE. Microsoft grants you the following rights provided that you comply with all terms and conditions of this EULA: 1.1 Installation and use. You may install, use, access, display and run one copy of the Software on a single computer, such as a workstation, terminal or other device ("Workstation Computer"). The Software may not be used by more than two (2) processors at any one time on any single Workstation Computer. 1.2 Mandatory Activation. The license rights granted under this EULA are limited to the first thirty (30) days after you first install the Software unless you supply information required to activate your licensed copy in the manner described during the setup sequence of the Software. You can activate the Software through the use of the Internet or telephone; toll charges may apply. You may also need to reactivate the Software if you modify your computer hardware or alter the Software. There are technological measures in this Software that are designed to prevent unlicensed use of the Software. Microsoft will use those measures to confirm you have a legally licensed copy of the Software. If you are not using a licensed copy of the Software, you are not allowed to install the Software or future Software updates. Microsoft will not collect any personally identifiable information from your Workstation Computer during this process. 1.3 Device Connections. You may permit a maximum of ten (10) computers or other electronic devices (each a "Device") to connect to the Workstation Computer to utilize one or more of the following services of the Software: File Services, Print Services, Internet Information Services, and remote access (including connection sharing and telephony services). The ten connection maximum includes any indirect connections made through "multiplexing" or other software or hardware which pools or aggregates connections. This ten connection maximum does not apply to any other uses of the Software. 1.4 Remote Desktop/Remote Assistance/NetMeeting. The Software contains Remote Desktop, Remote Assistance, and NetMeeting technologies that enable the Software or applications installed on the Workstation Computer (sometimes referred to as a host device) to be accessed remotely from other Devices. You may use the Software's Remote Desktop feature (or other software which provides similar functionality for a similar purpose) to permit any Device to use, access, display or run the Software without acquiring a license for the Software on that Device, provided only one user uses, accesses, displays, or runs the Software at any one time. When you are using Remote Assistance or NetMeeting (or other software which provides similar functionality for a similar purpose) you may share your session with other users without any limit on the number of Device connections and without acquiring additional licenses for the Software. For Microsoft and non-Microsoft applications, you should consult the license agreement accompanying the applicable software or contact the applicable licensor to determine whether use of the software with Remote Desktop, Remote Assistance, or NetMeeting is permitted without an additional license. As used above, a session means the experience delivered by the Software similar to when a user is using the input, output and display peripherals attached to the Workstation Computer. 1.5 Storage/Network Use. You may also store or install a copy of the Software on a storage device, such as a network server, used only to install or run the Software on your other Workstation Computers over an internal network; however, you must acquire and dedicate an additional license for each separate Workstation Computer on or from which the Software is installed, used, accessed, displayed or run. Except as otherwise permitted by the NetMeeting and Remote Assistance features described above, a license for the Software may not be shared or used concurrently on different Workstation Computers. 2. DESCRIPTION OF OTHER RIGHTS AND LIMITATIONS 2.1 Digital Rights Management. Content providers are using the digital rights management technology contained in this Software ("DRM") to protect the integrity of their content ( "Secure Content") so that their intellectual property, including copyright, in such content is not misappropriated. Portions of this Software and third party applications such as media players use DRM to play Secure Content ("DRM Software"). If the DRM Software's security has been compromised, owners of Secure Content ("Secure Content Owners") may request that Microsoft revoke the DRM Software's right to copy, display and/or play Secure Content. Revocation does not alter the DRM Software's ability to play unprotected content. A list of revoked DRM Software is sent to your computer whenever you download a license for Secure Content from the Internet. You therefore agree that Microsoft may, in conjunction with such license, also download revocation lists onto your computer on behalf of Secure Content Owners. Microsoft will not retrieve any personally identifiable information, or any other information, from your computer by downloading such revocation lists. Secure Content Owners may also require you to upgrade some of the DRM components in this Software ("DRM Upgrades") before accessing their content. When you attempt to play such content, Microsoft DRM Software will notify you that a DRM Upgrade is required and then ask for your consent before the DRM Upgrade is downloaded. Third party DRM Software may do the same. If you decline the upgrade, you will not be able to access content that requires the DRM Upgrade; however, you will still be able to access unprotected content and Secure Content that does not require the upgrade. 2.2 Windows Media Format Software Development Kit ("WMFSDK"). This EULA does not grant you any rights to use the WMFSDK components contained in the Software to develop a software application that uses Windows Media technology. If you wish to use the WMFSDK to develop such an application, visit http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/imedia/windowsmedia /sdk/wmsdk.asp, accept a separate license for the WMFSDK, download the appropriate WMFSDK, and install it on your system. 2.3 Internet-Based Services Components. The Software contains components that enable and facilitate the use of certain Internet-based services. You acknowledge and agree that Microsoft may automatically check the version of the Software and/or its components that you are utilizing and may provide upgrades or fixes to the Software that will be automatically downloaded to your Workstation Computer. 2.4 Internet Gaming/Update Features. If you choose to utilize the Internet gaming or update features within the Software, it is necessary to use certain computer system, hardware, and software information to implement the features. By using these features, you explicitly authorize Microsoft or its designated agent to access and utilize the necessary information for Internet gaming and/or updating purposes. Microsoft may use this information solely to improve our software or to provide customized services or technologies to you. Microsoft may disclose this information to others, but not in a form that personally identifies you. 2.5 Speech/Handwriting Recognition. If the Software includes speech and/or handwriting recognition component(s), you should understand that speech and handwriting recognition are inherently statistical processes; that recognition errors are inherent in the processes; that it is your responsibility to provide for the handling of such errors and to monitor the recognition processes and correct any errors. Neither Microsoft nor its suppliers shall be liable for any damages arising out of errors in the speech and handwriting recognition processes.3. RESERVATION OF RIGHTS AND OWNERSHIP. Microsoft reserves all rights not expressly granted to you in this EULA. The Software is protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws and treaties. Microsoft or its suppliers own the title, copyright, and other intellectual property rights in the Software. The Software is licensed, not sold.4. LIMITATIONS ON REVERSE ENGINEERING, DECOMPILATION, AND DISASSEMBLY. You may not reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Software, except and only to the extent that such activity is expressly permitted by applicable law notwithstanding this limitation.5. NO RENTAL/COMMERCIAL HOSTING. You may not rent, lease, lend or provide commercial hosting services with the Software.6. CONSENT TO USE OF DATA. You agree that Microsoft and its affiliates may collect and use technical information gathered as part of the product support services provided to you, if any, related to the Software. Microsoft may use this information solely to improve our products or to provide customized services or technologies to you and will not disclose this information in a form that personally identifies you. 7. LINKS TO THIRD PARTY SITES. You may link to third party sites through the use of the Software. The third party sites are not under the control of Microsoft, and Microsoft is not responsible for the contents of any third party sites, any links contained in third party sites, or any changes or updates to third party sites. Microsoft is not responsible for webcasting or any other form of transmission received from any third party sites. Microsoft is providing these links to third party sites to you only as a convenience, and the inclusion of any link does not imply an endorsement by Microsoft of the third party site.8. ADDITIONAL SOFTWARE/SERVICES. This EULA applies to updates, supplements, add-on components, or Internet-based services components, of the Software that Microsoft may provide to you or make available to you after the date you obtain your initial copy of the Software, unless we provide other terms along with the update, supplement, add-on component, or Internet-based services component. Microsoft reserves the right to discontinue any Internet-based services provided to you or made available to you through the use of the Software. 9. UPGRADES. To use Software identified as an upgrade, you must first be licensed for the software identified by Microsoft as eligible for the upgrade. After upgrading, you may no longer use the software that formed the basis for your upgrade eligibility. 10. NOT FOR RESALE SOFTWARE. Software identified as "Not For Resale" or "NFR," may not be sold or otherwise transferred for value, or used for any purpose other than demonstration, test or evaluation.11. ACADEMIC EDITION SOFTWARE. To use Software identified as "Academic Edition" or "AE," you must be a "Qualified Educational User." For qualification-related questions, please contact the Microsoft Sales Information Center/One Microsoft Way/Redmond, WA 98052-6399 or the Microsoft subsidiary serving your country.12. EXPORT RESTRICTIONS. You acknowledge that the Software is subject to U.S. export jurisdiction. You agree to comply with all applicable international and national laws that apply to the Software, including the U.S. Export Administration Regulations, as well as end-user, end-use, and destination restrictions issued by U.S. and other governments. For additional information see <http://www.microsoft.com/exporting/>.13. SOFTWARE TRANSFER. Internal. You may move the Software to a different Workstation Computer. After the transfer, you must completely remove the Software from the former Workstation Computer. Transfer to Third Party. The initial user of the Software may make a one-time permanent transfer of this EULA and Software to another end user, provided the initial user retains no copies of the Software. This transfer must include all of the Software (including all component parts, the media and printed materials, any upgrades, this EULA, and, if applicable, the Certificate of Authenticity). The transfer may not be an indirect transfer, such as a consignment. Prior to the transfer, the end user receiving the Software must agree to all the EULA terms.14. TERMINATION. Without prejudice to any other rights, Microsoft may terminate this EULA if you fail to comply with the terms and conditions of this EULA. In such event, you must destroy all copies of the Software and all of its component parts.15. LIMITED WARRANTY FOR SOFTWARE ACQUIRED IN THE US AND CANADA. Microsoft warrants that the Software will performsubstantially in accordance with the accompanying materialsfor a period of ninety (90) days from the date of receipt. If an implied warranty or condition is created by your state/jurisdiction and federal or state/provincial law prohibitsdisclaimer of it, you also have an implied warranty orcondition, BUT ONLY AS TO DEFECTS DISCOVEREDDURING THE PERIOD OF THIS LIMITED WARRANTY(NINETY DAYS). AS TO ANY DEFECTS DISCOVEREDAFTER THE NINETY-DAY PERIOD, THERE IS NOWARRANTY OR CONDITION OF ANY KIND. Some states/jurisdictions do not allowlimitations on how long an implied warranty or conditionlasts, so the above limitation may not apply to you.Any supplements or updates to the Software, including withoutlimitation, any (if any) service packs or hot fixes providedto you after the expiration of the ninety day Limited Warrantyperiod are not covered by any warranty or condition, express,implied or statutory.LIMITATION ON REMEDIES; NO CONSEQUENTIAL OROTHER DAMAGES. Your exclusive remedy for any breach of thisLimited Warranty is as set forth below. Except for any refundelected by Microsoft, YOU ARE NOT ENTITLED TOANY DAMAGES, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TOCONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, if the Software doesnot meet Microsoft's Limited Warranty, and, to the maximumextent allowed by applicable law, even if any remedy fails ofits essential purpose. The terms of Section 17 ("Exclusion ofIncidental, Consequential and Certain Other Damages") are alsoincorporated into this Limited Warranty. Some states/jurisdictions do not allow the exclusion or limitation ofincidental or consequential damages, so the above limitationor exclusion may not apply to you. This Limited Warrantygives you specific legal rights. You may have other rightswhich vary from state/jurisdiction to state/jurisdiction. YOUREXCLUSIVE REMEDY. Microsoft's and its suppliers' entireliability and your exclusive remedy for any breach of thisLimited Warranty or for any other breach of this EULA or forany other liability relating to the Software shall be, atMicrosoft's option from time to time exercised subject toapplicable law, (a) return of the amount paid (if any) for theSoftware, or (:D repair or replacement of the Software, thatdoes not meet this Limited Warranty and that is returned toMicrosoft with a copy of your receipt. You will receive theremedy elected by Microsoft without charge, except that youare responsible for any expenses you may incur (e.g. cost ofshipping the Software to Microsoft). This Limited Warranty isvoid if failure of the Software has resulted from accident,abuse, misapplication, abnormal use or a virus. Anyreplacement Software will be warranted for the remainder ofthe original warranty period or thirty (30) days, whichever islonger, and Microsoft will use commercially reasonable effortsto provide your remedy within a commercially reasonable timeof your compliance with Microsoft's warranty remedyprocedures. Outside the United States or Canada, neither theseremedies nor any product support services offered by Microsoftare available without proof of purchase from an authorizedinternational source. To exercise your remedy, contact: Microsoft, Attn. Microsoft Sales Information Center/OneMicrosoft Way/Redmond, WA 98052-6399, or the Microsoftsubsidiary serving your country. 16. DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTIES. The Limited Warranty that appears above is the only express warranty made to you and is provided in lieu of any other express warranties or similar obligations (if any) created by any advertising, documentation, packaging, or other communications. Except for the Limited Warranty and to the maximum extent permitted by applicable law, Microsoft and its suppliers provide the Software and support services (if any) AS IS AND WITH ALL FAULTS, and hereby disclaim all other warranties and conditions, whether express, implied or statutory, including, but not limited to, any (if any) implied warranties, duties or conditions of merchantability, of fitness for a particular purpose, of reliability or availability, of accuracy or completeness of responses, of results, of workmanlike effort, of lack of viruses, and of lack of negligence, all with regard to the Software, and the provision of or failure to provide support or other services, information, software, and related content through the Software or otherwise arising out of the use of the Software. ALSO, THERE IS NO WARRANTY OR CONDITION OF TITLE, QUIET ENJOYMENT, QUIET POSSESSION, CORRESPONDENCE TO DESCRIPTION OR NON -INFRINGEMENT WITH REGARD TO THE SOFTWARE.17. EXCLUSION OF INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL AND CERTAIN OTHER DAMAGES. TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, IN NO EVENT SHALL MICROSOFT OR ITS SUPPLIERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, PUNITIVE, INDIRECT, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES WHATSOEVER (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF PROFITS OR CONFIDENTIAL OR OTHER INFORMATION, FOR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION, FOR PERSONAL INJURY, FOR LOSS OF PRIVACY, FOR FAILURE TO MEET ANY DUTY INCLUDING OF GOOD FAITH OR OF REASONABLE CARE, FOR NEGLIGENCE, AND FOR ANY OTHER PECUNIARY OR OTHER LOSS WHATSOEVER) ARISING OUT OF OR IN ANY WAY RELATED TO THE USE OF OR INABILITY TO USE THE SOFTWARE, THE PROVISION OF OR FAILURE TO PROVIDE SUPPORT OR OTHER SERVICES, INFORMATON, SOFTWARE, AND RELATED CONTENT THROUGH THE SOFTWARE OR OTHERWISE ARISING OUT OF THE USE OF THE SOFTWARE, OR OTHERWISE UNDER OR IN CONNECTION WITH ANY PROVISION OF THIS EULA, EVEN IN THE EVENT OF THE FAULT, TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE), MISREPRESENTATION, STRICT LIABILITY, BREACH OF CONTRACT OR BREACH OF WARRANTY OF MICROSOFT OR ANY SUPPLIER, AND EVEN IF MICROSOFT OR ANY SUPPLIER HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. 18. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY AND REMEDIES. Notwithstanding any damages that you might incur for any reason whatsoever (including, without limitation, all damages referenced herein and all direct or general damages in contract or anything else), the entire liability of Microsoft and any of its suppliers under any provision of this EULA and your exclusive remedy hereunder (except for any remedy of repair or replacement elected by Microsoft with respect to any breach of the Limited Warranty) shall be limited to the greater of the actual damages you incur in reasonable reliance on the Software up to the amount actually paid by you for the Software or US$5.00. The foregoing limitations, exclusions and disclaimers (including Sections 15, 16 and 17) shall apply to the maximum extent permitted by applicable law, even if any remedy fails its essential purpose.19. U.S. GOVERNMENT LICENSE RIGHTS. All Software provided to the U.S. Government pursuant to solicitations issued on or after December 1, 1995 is provided with the commercial license rights and restrictions described elsewhere herein. All Software provided to the U.S. Government pursuant to solicitations issued prior to December 1, 1995 is provided with "Restricted Rights" as provided for in FAR, 48 CFR 52.227 -14 (JUNE 1987) or DFAR, 48 CFR 252.227-7013 (OCT 1988), as applicable. 20. APPLICABLE LAW. If you acquired this Software in the United States, this EULA is governed by the laws of the State of Washington. If you acquired this Software in Canada, unless expressly prohibited by local law, this EULA is governed by the laws in force in the Province of Ontario, Canada; and, in respect of any dispute which may arise hereunder, you consent to the jurisdiction of the federal and provincial courts sitting in Toronto, Ontario. If you acquired this Software in the European Union, Iceland, Norway, or Switzerland, then local law applies. If you acquired this Software in any other country, then local law may apply. 21. ENTIRE AGREEMENT; SEVERABILITY. This EULA (including any addendum or amendment to this EULA which is included with the Software) is the entire agreement between you and Microsoft relating to the Software and the support services (if any) and they supersede all prior or contemporaneous oral or written communications, proposals and representations with respect to the Software or any other subject matter covered by this EULA. To the extent the terms of any Microsoft policies or programs for support services conflict with the terms of this EULA, the terms of this EULA shall control. If any provision of this EULA is held to be void, invalid, unenforceable or illegal, the other provisions shall continue in full force and effect. [i deleted the French language stuff here]The following MICROSOFT GUARANTEE applies to you if youacquired this Software in any other country: Statutory rights not affected - The following guarantee is notrestricted to any territory and does not affect any statutoryrights that you may have from your reseller or from Microsoftif you acquired the Software directly from Microsoft. If youacquired the Software or any support services in Australia,New Zealand or Malaysia, please see the "Consumer rights"section below. The guarantee - The Software is designed and offered asa general-purpose software, not for any user's particularpurpose. You accept that no Software is error free and youare strongly advised to back-up your files regularly. Provided that you have a valid license, Microsoft guaranteesthat a) for a period of 90 days from the date of receipt ofyour license to use the Software or the shortest periodpermitted by applicable law it will perform substantially inaccordance with the written materials that accompanythe Software; and B) any support services provided byMicrosoft shall be substantially as described in applicablewritten materials provided to you by Microsoft and Microsoftsupport engineers will use reasonable efforts, care and skillto solve any problem issues. In the event that the Softwarefails to comply with this guarantee, Microsoft will either (a)repair or replace the Software or (:) return the price youpaid. This guarantee is void if failure of the Softwareresults from accident, abuse or misapplication. Anyreplacement Software will be guaranteed for the remainder ofthe original guarantee period or 30 days, whichever period islonger. You agree that the above guarantee is your soleguarantee in relation to the Software and any supportservices. Exclusion of All Other Terms - To the maximum extent permittedby applicable law and subject to the guarantee above,Microsoft disclaims all warranties, conditions and otherterms, either express or implied (whether by statute, commonlaw, collaterally or otherwise) including but not limited toimplied warranties of satisfactory quality and fitness forparticular purpose with respect to the Software and thewritten materials that accompany the Software. Any impliedwarranties that cannot be excluded are limited to 90 days orto the shortest period permitted by applicable law, whicheveris greater.Limitation of Liability - To the maximum extent permitted byapplicable law and except as provided in the MicrosoftGuarantee, Microsoft and its suppliers shall not be liable forany damages whatsoever (including without limitation, damagesfor loss of business profits, business interruption, loss ofbusiness information or other pecuniary loss) arising out ofthe use or inability to use the Software, even if Microsofthas been advised of the possibility of such damages. In anycase Microsoft's entire liability under any provision of thisAgreement shall be limited to the amount actually paid by youfor the Software. These limitations do not apply to anyliabilities that cannot be excluded or limited by applicablelaws. Consumer rights - Consumers in Australia, New Zealand orMalaysia may have the benefit of certain rights and remediesby reason of the Trade Practices Act and similar state andterritory laws in Australia, the Consumer Guarantees Act inNew Zealand and the Consumer Protection Act in Malaysia inrespect of which liability cannot lawfully be modified orexcluded. If you acquired the Software in New Zealand for thepurposes of a business, you confirm that the ConsumerGuarantees Act does not apply. If you acquired the Softwarein Australia and if Microsoft breaches a condition or warrantyimplied under any law which cannot lawfully be modified orexcluded by this agreement then, to the extent permitted bylaw, Microsoft's liability is limited, at Microsoft's option,to: (i) in the case of the Software: a) repairing or replacingthe Software; or :) the cost of such repair or replacement;and (ii) in the case of support services: a) re-supply of theservices; or :( the cost of having the servicessupplied again.Should you have any questions concerning this EULA, or if youdesire to contact Microsoft for any reason, please use theaddress information enclosed in this Software to contact theMicrosoft subsidiary serving your country or visit Microsofton the World Wide Web at http://www.microsoft.com.EULAID:XPSP1_RM.1_PRO_RTL_EN

Well, this is the first time I've actually read the whole EULA. :D Looks pretty boilerplate relative to any other contract I've seen in the past. Oh, did you notice the 5 or so smiley faces that show up in the EULA when posted here? Just for the record, I didn't put them in there. Must be some characters that somehow match the codes used here.

epp_b - If I remember correctly users of Win 98 [as well as 95 and Win2k - could be NT and 3.x also] were allowed a copy on the desktop and laptop using the same license. The single license to a single machine started with XP. :D
Good, then I'm safe from the Microsoft police :DI would think that Product Activation is the result of the fact that the single machine license policy starts with Windows XP, because so did PA.
If my memory serves me well, the older OS's also had a limit of install on a single computer. However, I remember something about being allowed to make or store a copy of the OS for backup purposes. Also, in the past, MS turned a blind eye to copying. Rumor had it that they did this to allow Windows software to be propagated and gain user lock-in's. Whether true or not, that would have been a smart marketing move in years past, before they had a virtual monopoly.

We sure have come a long ways folks... Someone posts a rumor about Longhorn and you all discuss it for days. My first reaction was... where is the verifiable source for this information? Everyone seemed to believe it was true...My advice people, is to question everything!Win 3.1, Win 95, Win98, Win Me, Win NT Pro; Servers, Win2k Pro; Servers, Win2k3 Servers have ALWAYS had a Retail or OEM EULA that stats very simply... ONE install on ONE machine. Period!Perhaps you are confusing MS Office which has had for years a EULA that permits ONE install on one Desktop and ONE install on one Laptop. Period.I not going to get into VLK or Volume License Agreements and that maze of complexity.If any of you think I'm wrong... then please send me a verifiable copy of your MS OS product EULA to prove me wrong...

From what I can tell, the Single computer thing has nothing to do with Product activation...
It has everything to do with product activation. The only reason PA exists is to discourage using it on more than one machine (and piracy).

From what I can tell, the Single computer thing has nothing to do with Product activation...
It has everything to do with product activation. The only reason PA exists is to discourage using it on more than one machine (and piracy).
Okay, but the single computer license has been around much longer than PA, making the PA a way of enforcement, not the reason behind the single computer license...

Marsden11You are correct - I located a EULA for Windows 98 and sure enough. One copy per system. And it is Office that the EULA was changed starting with Office XP. Prior editions allowed a copy on the desktop and laptop. Now it's one system only.Thanks. :D

Oh, did you notice the 5 or so smiley faces that show up in the EULA when posted here?  Just for the record, I didn't put them in there.  Must be some characters that somehow match the codes used here.
Yeah,I guess if you but the letter B followed by a right-closing parenthesis you get :( .So I guess it goes:A)B)C) :D

Marsden11You are correct - I located a EULA for Windows 98 and sure enough. One copy per system. And it is Office that the EULA was changed starting with Office XP. Prior editions allowed a copy on the desktop and laptop. Now it's one system only.Thanks.  :(
Computer 2 and the notebook are both mine, which I used the same Disc for. Computer 1 is not my machine. The owners of that machine purcahsed their own copy of Windows 98 (two in total, 1 of theirs and 1 of mine). I don't use theirs because it's theirs, not mine.I rarely use the two of mine at the same time anyway. As far as I know, M$ allows you to use two copies of Windows, providing that you own them both, one is a desktop PC, and the other is a notebook. Oops, epp-b :D

Well I see this is going to be an endless situation and I am sure there are milions of people who have installed their OS on desktop and laptop. I know if I had a desktop and laptop I would of. Would I fear MS coming to my house and seeing if my desktop and laptop are seperate lic. -- no. I have always avoided laptops due to upgrade costs on them. It's a part of life, people are gonna have multiple copies of a OSs installed. It maybe illegal, but since when has that stopped anyone.MS is putting themselves out of range for a lot of peoples pocketbook, that is the simple plain truth. The cost of XP Pro and XP office, which is due to be replaced here shortly, which is 2003, and already a new version is being worked on beyond that. Longhorn is scheduled for 2004 - these 2 products alone are big expenses - besides the hardware and software updating costs.

Well I see this is going to be an endless situation and I am sure there are milions of people who have installed their OS on desktop and laptop.  I know if I had a desktop and laptop I would of.  Would I fear MS coming to my house and seeing if my desktop and laptop are seperate lic. -- no.  I have always avoided laptops due to upgrade costs on them.  It's a part of life, people are gonna have multiple copies of a OSs installed.  It maybe illegal, but since when has that stopped anyone.MS is putting themselves out of range for a lot of peoples pocketbook, that is the simple plain truth.  The cost of XP Pro and XP office, which is due to be replaced here shortly, which is 2003, and already a new version is being worked on beyond that.  Longhorn is scheduled for 2004 - these 2 products alone are big expenses - besides the hardware and software updating costs.
You're correct. That's why MS had to go with WAP. I'm sure MS believes that eventually, the majority of Windows users will upgrade. Down the line, say 10 years out or so, the ASP model might be viable for home users. Then vendors like MS will have ultimate control since you'll just be renting access to the software and never physically possess it.Lucky MS doesn't sic the RIAA group on their users. A lot of people are getting real scared as they realize they might be facing some pretty stiff penalties for stealing music. Just because you CAN DO something, doesn't mean that you should do it. What I find comical is how many people who work in the computer industry steal software. OTOH, they don't want anyone to steal the products from the company they work for. As long as it is someone else, then it is OK.Anyway, with hardware getting so cheap, I think MS would be smart to seriously consider significant discounts for multiple installs by a household.

<<MS is putting themselves out of range for a lot of peoples pocketbook, that is the simple plain truth.>>The simple plain truth is there are many ways to 'skin the cat.' I see you are a registered Linux user. So I will asume you are totally unaware of certain MS programs that offer MS software for next to nothing in terms of money. Is that not one of the major gripes of open source... shops like MS charge too much money?Let me point you to the MS Action Pack. $25K to $30K of MS software for a $300 first year "subscription." Each year after that is just $200 bucks. I'm in my 3rd year and the 3rd quarter updates are on the way. I have 20 licenses for Office XP Professional. Before my 3rd year subscription expires, I will receive 20 licenses for Office System 2003 Professional. These are not upgrades but full product installs. So you ask what did this Office refresh cost me? This year, $200 bucks for the subscription which has already shipped a copy of Windows 2003 Advanced Server and a piece of paper informing all MS Subscription holders that their 5 licenses per Action Packs have been increased to 10 licenses per desktop product. Did I also mention that the July update is also shipping MS CRM (Customer Resource Management) with 5 user licenses and 1 CRM Server license. That little tool is worth $5K retail.From what I have seen in Linux software, anyone can get a free distro, but when you start looking for business apps that actually do real world business... get the pocket book out.MS Partners Web siteI went to Linux World last week. SuSe was handing out Geckos and RedHat was handing out postcards and keychanins. MS was handing out software. Stuffed toys and keychanins is definately not the way to win hearts and minds... Will the Linux distributors ever figure it out?

Well let's see I would love to sit here and argue this, but I know Scot doesn't have enough server space

$25K to $30K of MS software for a $300 first year "subscription." Each year after that is just $200 bucks
glad you can afford that, most can't. Guess you missed that point I made about MS putting themselves out of range from people's pocketbooks. Stats show many have not upgraded due to costs.
From what I have seen in Linux software, anyone can get a free distro, but when you start looking for business apps that actually do real world business... get the pocket book out.
not sure where your looking - great example openoffice - $0.00

I'm sure Scot has plenty of server space...Don't get me wrong. The GPL, is a good thing. But there are no examples of profitable GPL-only software development companies. Profits are ozygen to companies. You don't want to bet your companies success on a vendor who follows a business model on life support.There are exceptions to this but those companies have had to get very creative and develop dual-use licenses to stay in business. That gives customers a choice between paying for a commercial license for closed proprietary products which are less restrictive than the GPL.Oracle and IBM are not going to give away the store... and those are the business solutions I'm speaking of.

Well let's see I would love to sit here and argue this, but I know Scot doesn't have enough server space
$25K to $30K of MS software for a $300 first year "subscription." Each year after that is just $200 bucks
glad you can afford that, most can't. Guess you missed that point I made about MS putting themselves out of range from people's pocketbooks. Stats show many have not upgraded due to costs.
From what I have seen in Linux software, anyone can get a free distro, but when you start looking for business apps that actually do real world business... get the pocket book out.
not sure where your looking - great example openoffice - $0.00
Ummm, you are saying that you can't afford $300/year? That's $25/month which is approximately 83 CENTS per day.I paid $150 for WinXP Pro. Life expectency for me on this product is probably 3 years. That's $50/year for a complete OS. Security fixes and service packs are free during the life of the product and although there are occassional problems, they have generally been tested reasonably well.What irks me is that I can get a complete OS with 40 million lines of code for $150 but if I want something like Adobe Photoshop, I have to pay $600 or $700! That's out of line to my mind...

nlinecomputers

Dang, I go away for a little 3 day weekend and find 6 pages on this topic. WOW. B) Far too much to comment on so I'll pick a couple. Microsoft Licenses:I've been in the Computer Service biz either as a employed tech or as a self-employed tech for 10 years and have used Microsoft products way back to MS-DOS 3 days. I still have a copy of somewhere of Windows 3.0. Microsoft has NEVER allowed the OS to run on more then one machine. PERIOD. Computers need an OS to run just like they need a CPU chip, memory, and other hardware. Just because you have the ability to make a copy of the disk doesn't mean your allowed to. That is what the word COPYRIGHT means. The RIGHT to COPY. Note that INSTALLING a program is COPYING it under the eyes of the law. So when you buy software you are granted a license to copy the software onto one machine and only one machine. Microsoft and other software vendors make their money by making copies of software and selling the copies to you. Authors do the same with books. Musicians record and sell COPIES of songs to you. This is the only way they have to make money and copying software is theft. And it isn't much different then if you tried to shove a box of Windows XP up your pant leg at a Best Buy store. The I only use one computer line is weak. I have my doubts about it. I have 5 computers(one is a laptop) in my office and at times I've had all 5 running and doing different things. If Microsoft Windows XP was a piece of hardware we wouldn't be having this conversation. I can only drive one car at a time. Both of my cars use the same set of spark plugs so in therory I could just remove one set and use them in the other car. But that would be a great waste of time and resources. Do you uninstall Windows after every use? I doubt it. Do you NEVER use both of your computers at the same time or allow someone else to run one of your computers. I doubt it..

nlinecomputers

Action packs.I have owned the Microsoft Action Pack for about 4 or 5 years. They use to make it kind of hard to get one and keep it up to date but in the last couple of years this has changed. If you do anything in the sales, service, delvopment of computers then get this. It's $30,000+ worth of software. You get all the latest stuff from Microsoft. I have Windows 98SE, Windows ME, Windows 2000 Advanced Server, Exchange 2000, SQL Server, Microsoft Small Bus. Server, Office 2000, Office XP, Visio, Share Portal Server, and on and on.It's cheap and legal way to get full working copies of most of the software that Microsoft sells. And you are allowed to run your business with it. How better to sell and support Microsoft software if not by using it?

Authors do the same with books.  Musicians record and sell COPIES of songs to you.  This is the only way they have to make money and copying software is theft.
Except the difference between authors and musicians is slightly different; authors retain the copyright whereas the recording label retains the copyright. I don't know of any musician holding a copyright to their work unless they publish under their own label, or don't have a recording contract. This is probably why filesharing of music is so easily justified by many because they would argue that record companies shouldn't have a monopoly on music copyrights.

nlinecomputers

No musicians have the same right they simply give up that right in order to get published. Who's fault is that? Are they forced at gunpoint to do so? NO. I have little sympathy for the musicians as they put themselves into the situation they are in. And yes I know the history of the music industry. They often tricked ignorant, often illiterate, often black, people into signing them selves up into modern slavery. This isn't the case now. Most people can read and write and they can hire lawyers. So why is the music industry still puting the screws on the musicains? Because they can? People are so blinded by the glamour of it all that they don't read the contracts. Too bad.

nlinecomputers
What irks me is that I can get a complete OS with 40 million lines of code for $150 but if I want something like Adobe Photoshop, I have to pay $600 or $700! That's out of line to my mind...
Oh pleese don't they teach anyone the laws of supply and demand? XP is an OS EVERY computer needs an OS. Because of that Microsoft sells alot of them. So they can ask for a low price and still make buckets of money. Walmart sells lots of stuff too. You can buy stuff at Walmart for less because they sell alot of it. They make buckets of money doing that. Photoshop is a very specialized app. Most people don't own it or need it. They can't sell buckets of them so to make a decent amount of money they have to charge a large amount of money to get enough money to make a profit.