Coincidence?

SueD

:D "If I had a hammerI'd hammer in the morningI'd hammer in the evening..." :thumbsup:
You have no idea how close to the truth that is.Right now I'm using my daughter's computer (hers doesn't have any sound either but I know what wrong with it!) because if I go back to mine too soon, I may defenestrate it. :lol:

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SueD

• Bruno

• striker

• Urmas

Top Posters In This Topic

I think due to the crash the whole BIOS is reset . . . you might want to check ALL settings in there . . . . and once they are all okay maybe do a fresh MDV install ( yep again sorry )Beats me what is happening with Slackware . . . how old is that computer ? Is it worn-out ?:thumbsup: Bruno

The computer's only 4 years old but I suppose it does have several 'miles' on it but a lot of things have been upgraded or replaced over those years. I didn't check the BIOS completely (I have what was what written down someplace so it should be easy to compare).I was thinking of doing a total reinstall anyways (I've never been happy that Slackware isn't on hda1.LOL). They say the 11th time is the easiest, right? :thumbsup:

That's for 'normal' people Temmu. And honestly, I think I've installed Slack more than 11 times. I can't seem to leave well enough alone, always thinking "Hmm, let's download and install this and see what it does". Then rather coming in here and asking for help...again...because I've buggered things up royally, it's just easier for me to do a reinstall. :thumbsup:

Sue, you know as I was reading your thread wherein your BIOS got reset, I got to wondering: have you replaced the battery in the past several years? I had a bad mobo battery that kept allowing the BIOS to get reset even tho the mobo was almost new; when I took the battery out and looked at it, it had dark spot on rear where the contact was supposed to be connecting to it. Since the contact looked OK, I just replaced the battery with a new one and that solved that problem!Bill

Hmm, come to think of it, I don't think I've ever replaced this battery. It would be really nice if the solution's that simple.This morning, my son suggested I upgrade the firmware but I'm not up to doing that. A battery change is much easier.:)Thanks Bill, I'll open it up later and check that out.

Well, Sue, that would not solve your audio problems other than the fact that if the BIOS is getting reset without you knowing it, you might not become aware of it immediately. Hope the solution is that simple, but probably not . . . it just came to mind as I read the thread because of my own screwy experiences that one time.Bill

Well, Sue, that would not solve your audio problems other than the fact that if the BIOS is getting reset without you knowing it, you might not become aware of it immediately. Hope the solution is that simple, but probably not . . . it just came to mind as I read the thread because of my own screwy experiences that one time.Bill
I realize that and that's fine. But I did notice a few other discrepancies in my BIOS yesterday when I was setting everything the way I had it before so there's obviously something wonky going on in there. The battery's a good place to start.:)

liftinrz3.png(Just waiting for the new battery here... :thumbsup: )
Have you been looking for that for the past 36 hours? All you had to do was ask me about it.Yes, it's a regional thing mostly heard in Atlantic Canada and my little corner of rural Ontario (thanks to me). It's not limited to liftin'....mackeral, jumping Jaysus (as often heard in Newfoundland), and turtles (ok, that one's a family thing) among others have been heard with regularity where I grew up. Many Eastern Canadians can be easily identified by that expression alone when traveling out west, I've been told.:unsure:

UPDATE:In Slackware...Opened up the tower, checked to see if my soundcard was installed nice and tightly...it was. Removed it and installed in daughter's computer...didn't work. Removed it and reinstalled it in my computer...still no worky. Re enabled onboard sound in BIOS, connected the speakers and now have sound.In Mandriva...Still no sound.

Hi SueI have a itch in my left knee that is trying to tell me something, the message is not 100% clear, but: Would maybe the soundcard have died ? Would the crash you had damaged the soundcard . . . OR would the dieing soundcard have caused the crash ?What do you think ?:hysterical: Bruno

Bruno, at this point, I don't know. Coincidences seem to be my lot in life these days, good and bad. Luckily, I only paid a few bucks for this card so I'm not too upset by its loss. And in getting sound to work finally did help me learn something again, so again, it's not all bad. (I've got to put a positive spin on this somehow. :hysterical: )When I was looking to buy this soundcard, you had posted a site with several different kinds. I've been looking for that post and I can't find it, nor is it in my bookmarks. Do you remember it and if so, can you help me find it? It looks like I'll have to go shopping again.

• 2 weeks later...

The mysteries of this computer continue.Changed the monitor, had a system crash and lost sound all in one day.Replaced the battery (the old one had less than 1/2 power left to it).Couldn't boot into anything, installed or LiveCD.Left it alone for 12 hours, come in and try again. Can't boot into Mandriva but Slackware's up and running.Oh, and I have sound again. Hubby had reconnected the speakers into the black receptacle in the sound card and I'm back to listening to my mp3s.Any guesses on what may go wrong next? :)

Any guesses on what may go wrong next? :unsure:
Sure . . . . just wait another 24 hours, wave 3 times with your right hand on the left side of the computer and Mandriva will boot without complaining :) Anyway . . glad you can boot Slack right now :) ( I will make no *funny* comments about plugging in the sound cables . . . but I have to bite my lips in order not to ;) )B) Bruno

Anyway . . glad you can boot Slack right now :) ( I will make no *funny* comments about plugging in the sound cables . . . but I have to bite my lips in order not to :) )
Oh no no no no, you can't leave me hanging like that. What were you thinking of saying? BTW, it was plugged into the green but the only thing coming out of there now is a sound so high pitched even my deaf kitty can hear it.I had a feeling Mandriva was going to need a reinstall after some funky behaviour last week so that really didn't come as any surprise. That can wait until tomorrow.

Oh no no no no, you can't leave me hanging like that. What were you thinking of saying?
Hmmm . . . well . . . hmmmm . . . I am sure it's not your husbands fault, give the poor man a break . . . . . it's the mess you make of all the wires you stuff behind that computer desk . . :) :unsure:Computer-Cables-and-Wires1.jpg :) ;) Bruno