• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SueD

• Bruno

• striker

• Urmas

Top Posters In This Topic

Some success. No more errors from Amarok and xine but I still get the original Sound server informational message.
You could try to re-install some more sound related packages . . . . but there are so many that I couldn't even tell you where to start B) So after all, attempting the "repair" would be the next best option . . . . but only a total new install ( keeping the /home partition free from re-formats ) would guarantee 100% success. ( just preparing you for the worst case scenario B) )B) BrunoPS: Urmas . . . . I have your post bookmarked :whistling:

I tried a repair (actually, the only option was Rescue) but I saw nothing there that fit my situation or quite possibly I didn't understand it. Sooooooo, I did a reinstall. All went well, right up to the end then when I reboot and get to the login screen....I can't see anything but a wall of color! I tried logging in thinking maybe it's just that screen but once I got to the desktop (I could tell the screen had changed by the difference in colors), I still can't see anything. I've since <ctrl><Backspace> and am now awaiting further instruction.Poor Urmas...he's such an easy target sometimes. B)

First thing I tried and got the following message when I ran XFdrake --auto...

Using '/etc/ld.so.conf ./GL/standard.conf' to provide 'gl_conf'.

So X did not start B) boot your machine in safe mode, login as root by "su" vi /etc/X11/xorg.conf search for "driver "nvidia"" change "nvidia" to "vesa"Or alternatively if you're in text mode already:login as root by using su + password for rootvi /etc/X11/xorg.conf search for "driver "nvidia"" change "nvidia" to "vesa"What to do later after you're in, I'll post in a few minutes after having booted into MDV.

Striker, thank you but it's late for you and I'll bet your eyes are bothering you and you've got a headache. This can wait until tomorrow, really.ETA...changing the driver from nv to vesa seems to have done the trick. Now I'm serious, go to bed and we can continue tackling this tomorrow.G'nite Striker.B)

Edited by SueD

Yep, you're right. I should have been gone to bed by now...Before I do so:MCC > section Hardware > Set up the Graphical serverAt the right of Graphics Card is a huge button: click it.IIRC you have a nvidia card? (doesn't matter if you have an ATI instead, procedure is the same)I don't know what is on that huge button in your case, but once clicking it, you have the opportunity to set the right graphics card. But if all goes well and it detected your nvidia (or ATI) card, if may offer you to use a proprietary driver. Click yes and let it do its things and follow instructions given. It might download a bunch of files from the net, so be sure to have the internet up.After this reboot the machine and you should have a working distro with usable display.If not or no change: edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf again and put back in place vesa.Goodnight for now. B)

How things are so far....Reinstalled Mandriva.Couldn't startx so tried XFdrake --auto and got Using '/etc/ld.so.conf ./GL/standard.conf' to provide 'gl_conf'.As per Striker's suggestion, changed nvidia's driver from nv to vesa. Finally got X after several attempts.Went into the MCC, Set the Graphical Server without any luck. But it did detect the right monitor!Right now, my resolution is stuck at 1280x1024...and things aren't looking very pretty at the moment.Oh, and I still have no sound (tried enabling and disabling Pulse Audio without luck).

Woooow . . what a mess !Sorry about the confision repair/rescue, I was not sure what the actual word used was. :DAnyway, with the DVD you have I suppose you mean the "Free" version, and the "Free" version does not have the Nvidia drivers, and without them you will not get the desired resolution.So what you need to do is add the sources in the MCC and after that install "dkms" and the "dkms-nvidia" + "nvidia-kernel". After that you can reboot and run XFdrake again, it should then set up the xorg.conf automatically to use the Nvidia driver + the correct monitor and the screenresolution you want.The sound is another worry, maybe first do the updates and then try fiddle the pulseaudio settings again. ( Note: I have the exact same sound-card and for me the default settings were okay . . . . but I installed both KDE and Gnome because Pulse audio is using the Gnome soundsystem, also in KDE )B) Bruno

B) I got them Bruno and I used the Free DvD. I just clicked the button near Graphics Card and it offered me to download and install the proprietary driver.It's not installed by default, but once clicked it should offer them and the user can choose to use them or reject them. That's the new rule in Mandriva regarding this proprietary stuff. Don't know where I read it, but it was somewhere on mandrivas forum sometime ago. And indeed, like I said above, it worked as described.

Video is fixed! :D Striker, last time I installed Mandriva Spring, I had to add the nvidia driver manually (maybe because I did a HD install?) but your way worked well and was painless. Thanks! :thumbsup: Bruno, still no sound but I'll go through a previous thread where I had similar problems and see if I can't suss things out. When I did my install, I added both KDE and Gnome (I think that's been normal behavour for me since using Mandriva). When I open KMix now, I get the normal mixer so it looks like my sound card isn't recognized at all. And there is no longer a red X across my speaker on the taskbar...so at least that's some success compared to yesterday.LOLETA...Still no sounds after going through that thread but now I can get KMix to show my sound card. My /etc/modprobe looks a little different...

[sue@localhost ~]$ cat /etc/modprobe.confalias eth0 sis900alias sound-slot-0 snd_emu10k1install usb-interface /sbin/modprobe ehci_hcd; /sbin/modprobe ohci_hcd; /bin/trueinstall ide-controller /sbin/modprobe sis5513; /bin/truealias sound-slot-1 snd_emu10k1remove snd_intel8x0 /sbin/modprobe --first-time -r --ignore-remove snd_intel8x0install snd_intel8x0 /sbin/modprobe --first-time --ignore-install snd_intel8x0remove snd_emu10k1 /sbin/modprobe --first-time -r --ignore-remove snd_emu10k1install snd_emu10k1 /sbin/modprobe --first-time --ignore-install snd_emu10k1
I can't boot into Slackware to check if it's a Mandriva issue or sound card issue and I'm not sure I'd want to yet anyways without fixing the monitor's settings in there first. Edited by SueD

Video is fixed! :D
Great news !!! Hurrray ! :thumbsup:
but now I can get KMix to show my sound card.
That is good . . . . now it should be a matter of pulling the correct slider to the max and you should have sound. Check all the sliders and switches in Kmix, sometimes it is the headphone slider that does the trick.
I can't boot into Slackware
I assume that is because you did not add it to the Grub menu.lst yet ? Anyway first question would be: did you switch from CRT to TFT ? If not, and it is just a TFT you replaced with a bigger one you should be able to boot Slackware without problems. But if you did switch from CRT to TFT I would first boot Slackware in level 3 and log in as root, back up the current xorg.conf and after that run "xorgsetup".:lol: Bruno

That is good . . . . now it should be a matter of pulling the correct slider to the max and you should have sound. Check all the sliders and switches in Kmix, sometimes it is the headphone slider that does the trick.
I've been playing with those switches and slides all morning without any luck. I don't know if it makes a difference but every time I open KMix, it shows SiS SI7012 instead of Soundblaster. I have to pull SB from the drop down.
I assume that is because you did not add it to the Grub menu.lst yet ? Anyway first question would be: did you switch from CRT to TFT ? If not, and it is just a TFT you replaced with a bigger one you should be able to boot Slackware without problems. But if you did switch from CRT to TFT I would first boot Slackware in level 3 and log in as root, back up the current xorg.conf and after that run "xorgsetup".
I went from LCD to LCD...TFT?No, Slackware hasn't been added to the menu.lst yet. I tried earleir but it didn't work so I removed it.

This is what I have to boot my slackware 12.1 on hda11:

title Slackwarekernel (hd0,10)/boot/vmlinuz-huge-smp-2.6.24.5-smp root=/dev/hda11 ro vga=788
maybe it will help you.If you went from LCD to LCD you can just boot Slackware and add the resolution you desire to the xorg.conf <Subsection "Display">Regarding the sound: is your onboard sound disabled in the BIOS ?? . . . is PNP aware OS set to "No" in the BIOS ?? Else we will have to blacklist the SIS soundcard.You also might want to remove this from your /etc/modprobe.conf:
alias sound-slot-1 snd_emu10k1remove snd_intel8x0 /sbin/modprobe --first-time -r --ignore-remove snd_intel8x0install snd_intel8x0 /sbin/modprobe --first-time --ignore-install snd_intel8x0
:thumbsup: Bruno

Holy liftin', I have sound!!!

The onboard sound had been re-enabled somehow yesterday but it wasn't intentional. I hadn't been in there for a few weeks when I upped my RAM. I don't know how but I'm sure glad it's back. Thanks Bruno! :D Ok, off to boot into Slack now. I'd best turn down my speakers now, eh? :thumbsup:

HURRRRAY !! . . . sound !!!Probably the crash was so severe that it did reset the BIOS settings to default ( so with the onboard sound enabled )Good luck with the Slack boot . . . crossing fingers.:thumbsup: Bruno

No need to boot in level 3 . . . if you already booted successfully !!Just add the resolution to the xorg.conf. ;):thumbsup: Bruno

Everything looks really nice in Slackware now but you are NOT going to believe this...I'm without sound again!I got the same message after login in Slack that I was getting with Mandriva so I went back into the BIOS to check and the onboard sound is still disabled. I rebotted into Mandriva and was welcomed by the same error message.What is going on?! :thumbsup:

Hu ???? . . . What ??? . . . Come on, what is happening ?? Maybe take a break . . relax, take a deep breath, flex your muscles, focus and things like that . . . ( ? )Did you have a look at the modprobe.conf ?? are the lines still gone ?Can you add to the "/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-mdv" just one line:

blacklist snd_intel8x0
and reboot ?:thumbsup: BrunoPS: Glad Slack looks good ! . . . . . Slack also should have a "/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist" . . . after that reboot and run "alsaconf"

Those lines in the modprobe.conf are still gone and I've added that line to the blacklist.Red X on speaker again and KMix is showing the small box with nothing in the dropdown again, as before.I'm rebooting now.

Hmmmm . . hope we are lucky !Anyway, I have to go for about an hour and a half . . . will be back later.:thumbsup: Bruno

Another problem.LOLI can't boot into Slackware now. It gets stuck at ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00:0a.0{A] -> GSI 18 (level, low) -> IRQ 20 I'm developing a hardware problem, aren't I.

Bruno, could this be Pulse Audio related? How about disabling this to start with?(You can easily disable PulseAudio via Mandriva's sound hardware configuration tool, draksound.)Also, I found this one, maybe there's a relation?

No sound in KDE after a migration from previous releases of MandrivaDue to the PulseAudio swith in 2008 Spring, some users migrating from previous releases (2008, 2007.1, ...) may encounter a high CPU utilization by artsd while playing a sound. In order to correct this problem, please remove the file:rm -f .kde/share/config/kcmartsrcThe sound should play fine after this.
BTW: in KDE CC there's an option to enable the sound system. Check that to see it didn't got disabled. I have had that one time in the past.

Striker, I had a similar problem with sound when I first installed Mandriva 2008.1 Spring and we discovered that it was a Pulseaudio issue. That's been long disabled. And the KDE CC and I are good friends.LOL Been there, done that too and that was the first thing I had checked yesterday.I can now state that this is not a distro issue. Right now, I'm in Mandriva's LiveCD (One?) and I have no sound there either. Oh, and yesterday's crash did more than just re-enable the onboard sound...it also changed my boot order.Yup, just another fine day in my life. :thumbsup: