• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bruno

• quint

• BarryB

• teacher

Top Posters In This Topic

Barry,I did some reading on this beta . . . the first impressions of other testers . . . . this is the buggiest beta since 1820 ! The installer even seems to be extremely buggy, the network-configuration does not work at all, soundcard bugs . . . anyway not a good word from anybody, even not from the ones that got it booting after install . . and those were only a few . . :DI think I will not bother doing the download again tonight . . ;) and wait for the beta2 . .:( :)See Barry, I do have enough blank CDs . . . . but don´t need more coasters :( :rolleyes: :blink: :( Bruno

- - - - The Mandrake 9.2 Release Schedule * Beta 1: end of july * Beta 2: begining of august * Beta 3: mid-august / string freeze * version freeze, end of august * RC 1: begining of september * Final: mid septemberB) Bruno

Just got done mowing, etc., and have just enough time for this post. :rolleyes: My d/l of Mandrake 9.2, was OK, used "cdcopy" - gotta love it! - it was OK, re-booted, the install went quicker than 9.1, no problems with the install at all, having read some "bad reports", I decided to configure everything that I could, that went OK, all I can say, after getting to the KDE desktop, is: this is nowhere near ready! :( Evolution 1.4.3 worked, and then froze solid! Could d/l from the internet, but could not get the OS to recognize any install! :blink: I tried re-booting with the bootdisk I made...no problem getting to the same place that I was before. :D :D I had had enough by then, so now I'm using the latest "Live CD" from Knoppix - much better experiences. ;) I have to agree with Bruno - will wait for "beta2", with flippers crossed. :( Take care everyone, and keep on "Linuxing". :D :(

Thanks Quint for the review, you´ve been lucky being able to boot at all :rolleyes: :blink: . . . . . another month or so and we will have quiet some other experience . . with the new kernel and hopefully a new KDE . . ?? . . !! . . :( :(:( Bruno

Thanks Bruno, QuintWe shall wait...Still made the coasters...but everybody needs coasters :rolleyes: Hopefully the 2.6 kernel and kDE 3.2 will be ready to go by next beta..(ok Maybe just an option to try the new kernel)

Thanks Quint for the review . . . . . another month or so and we will have quiet some other experience . . with the new kernel and hopefully a new KDE . . ?? . . !!  . . :blink: :(:( Bruno
Not a doubt in my mind, my friend; even though my preferences lean toward VL / Slack, I will admit that Mandrake has got to be the "premier all-around Linux distro". :D I am anxiously awaiting the final release. :( ;) Thanks. :rolleyes:

It's funny how we choose out fav distro's, I lean towards SuSE PRO ...But Mandarke is always my "Ace in the Hole" I know I can run it on any machine I have...while I like slack( and would probably have the same flexabilty as with Mandrake) it just isn't there for me.(LOL but I always have a distro of slack available) .I like debian .. :( ..( Can't really tell you why, I just do) :rolleyes: :blink: :(

But Mandarke is always my "Ace in the Hole" I know I can run it on any machine I have...
You´re a true friend Barry !( you know I´m holding on to my MDK stocks . . :D B) :lol: ):D Bruno

I'm with Barry - I tend to favor Debian now after using Red Hat for a few years. I really enjoy the Knoppix that I have installed on the hard drive now. I wouldn't switch to Gentoo after doing the live cd - seems like a hard distro to work with. Sorry but I have no desire to try Mandrake since it is similar to Red Hat. I have yet to try Slackware or Vector, Vector sounds like it maybe a difficult one too after reading the others posting about it. I am kinda curious about Suse, but I think I would try Slackware first. Guess that is why there is so many distros available - each has their own thing they prefer.

I was in the back of the Rute book and it claims there are over 200 different distros. And the Rute book is not a new release. I wonder where the missing ones are located? Should we send Quint out to look? B) I am still sticking with Mandrake as my primary OS. I have Slack on my computer now and lots of others laying around. I probably will start testing some of the others soon. I was just happy to get Slack to work correctly after my initial mouse problems with it. :lol:

Julia,The 130 we keep talking about are the ones officialy listed on Distrowatch . . there are many many more, losts of clever people make their own one, in groups or on their own, every now and then you see on Linux forums calling on other folk to start a new distro on yet another concept.My guess is that there are at least 6000 if you really start counting . . . . . would google help do you think ?B) Brunooogle

Oh no. Can you imagine how many hits you would get if you searched for "Linux" and "Distro"? The answer is 244,000. I don't think I want to wade through that. :D B) :lol:

O.K. we do some science . . . . 244,000 / 40 = 6,100 . . . . . that´s exactly 6,000 distro´s Julia. :blink: Bruno

Funny Science Bruno. You make the assumption that every link will be to a different distro. Or did you mean for each of us to check out those pages? You go first...... :blink:

Newsflash:The beta 2 will be delayed to the 5th of august.( looks like the new kernel will be in there );) bruno

Newsflash:The beta 2 will be delayed to the 5th of august.( looks like the new kernel will be in there )B) bruno
hee hee I can what til then......maybe

BarryBecause I´m subscribed at Mandrakesoft I can see all the bugs of the first beta comming in . . . . never had so much mail and bugreports in the last years as this time . . . . if they fix all those before the 5th of August . . and the new kernel, who knows it might just be a nice beta2 . . ;)B) Bruno

True...I was suprised with this last beta, but maybe that's why they call it a beta B) :lol: :lol: ...Really the first MDK I ever installed was a beta...and it worked perfect...Maybe I got spoiled B) ...But MDK is still what I consider the leader :D

It´s just the competition with RedHat Barry, who´s first with the new version . . it´s a race against time . . . . and we are the ones having to donload up to 300MB updates on the ¨final¨ even if there were 2 or 3 betas and RCs . . . . :D You have to be a real fan to put up with this . B) :lol: . . . now Mandrake has had the major part of the updates for 9.1 . . hardly any new ones comming in now, only the odd security-update now and then . . but RedHat is still fixing it´s 9 version while the 9.1beta already came last week.I´d suggest a time out, so they both can get their act together.:lol: Bruno

Would we send them to opposite corners for their time outs? Or would we let them do a time out together? Just curious. B)

It´s just the competition with RedHat Barry, who´s first with the new version . . it´s a race against time . . . . and we are the ones having to donload up to 300MB updates on the ¨final¨ even if there were 2 or 3 betas and RCs . . . . B) You have to be a real fan to put up with this . :lol: :D . . . now Mandrake has had the major part of the updates for 9.1 . . hardly any new ones comming in now, only the odd security-update now and then . . but RedHat is still fixing it´s 9 version while the 9.1beta already came last week.I´d suggest a time out, so they both can get their act together.B) Bruno
BrunoI must be one of those fans...I think I look forward to the updates :lol: , But I agree it would be good if they'd slow down abit........... B) , But I know that can be difficult in business...........

hey it did slow down - nothing to download today, so we have to wait till Monday now before we find anything to download.

lol - well scratch the above post - I thought we would have to wait till Monday for a download B) As soon as I say that Knoppix releases on for today - YAY!!

Kelly, what about waiting a few days and see if this one ¨sticks¨ ?? . . . . . anyway that is what I will do before changing the Links in The Tips again ! ;);) Bruno

Correction: Did check the existing links . . they were dead . . so I did have to put in the new ones ;);) Bruno

• 2 weeks later...

Tomorrow is the BIG day for 9.2 bata2 . . . . . put a few extra spindels CDs on your shopping list . . :) :) :) B)B) Bruno