Sound issues with Mandriva 2008

SueD

In the manual you'll find the Motherboard Layout. It's a big outline of what's on the main board and an explanation below it referring to it.Right above PCI slot 1 you'll see a little chip, referred to as the Audio Codec, number 19 in the explanation below the outline. On that little chip is something printed. It can't be that much because it's tiny, but if at all possible what's printed on that chip?(If you can't decipher it, maybe a digital camera can help to take a picture of it and post a link to that picture here) :D

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SueD

• Bruno

• striker

• cybormoron

In the manual you'll find the Motherboard Layout. It's a big outline of what's on the main board and an explanation below it referring to it.Right above PCI slot 1 you'll see a little chip, referred to as the Audio Codec, number 19 in the explanation below the outline. On that little chip is something printed. It can't be that much because it's tiny, but if at all possible what's printed on that chip?(If you can't decipher it, maybe a digital camera can help to take a picture of it and post a link to that picture here) :D
Found it! As written...
CMI9739ANZ8206-BHGG1WC0409
I couldn't see what chipset it has since it's covered but I did see 533 stamped on the board itself so maybe it's the GE Pro-M2?

:thumbsup: Thanks Sue, that confirms what I was thinking. It's a CMI9739A which is used for sound.I think we should go in that direction now.
Great! Just out of curiosity, why is this the first time I'm seeing this problem in the 3 years I've owned this computer?

Do nothing Sue, I want Bruno to take a look at it first.Off course you can download it and unpack it to any folder to have a glance at the readme file in it, but don't do anything else with it yet, you may be messing up the whole system. :thumbsup:

Do nothing Sue, I want Bruno to take a look at it first.Off course you can download it and unpack it to any folder to have a glance at the readme file in it, but don't do anything else with it yet, you may be messing up the whole system. :thumbsup:
Ok, that's scarey.LOL I'm not even going to d/l it.

Well . . I am not 100% sure about what we should do at this point . . . . - The sound did work in previous versions of Mandriva, so we should expect that the correct drivers are already available on the HD somewhere- If we start using these OSS drivers we might have to change more then we would like to because all players are set to use ALSA- We clearly have a bug here, shouldn't we wait for the fix from Mnadriva ?- In case we make a to big mess of the install, the bugfix we are hoping for might not help.I would like to see 2 things:1). Is the soundsystem actually started at boot ?

# chkconfig --list | grep sound

2). If you still have a 2007.1 Live CD . . or even a PCLos 2007 Live CD . . can you boot it, check the sound and post the result of

# cat /etc/modprobe.conf | grep -i sound

to see what the driver is that it is using.Then if we give up all hope on getting a fix we could ./install that OSS driver and see what else we have to adapt to get sound working in all apps.:thumbsup: Bruno

Well . . I am not 100% sure about what we should do at this point . . . . - The sound did work in previous versions of Mandriva, so we should expect that the correct drivers are already available on the HD somewhere- If we start using these OSS drivers we might have to change more then we would like to because all players are set to use ALSA- We clearly have a bug here, shouldn't we wait for the fix from Mnadriva ?- In case we make a to big mess of the install, the bugfix we are hoping for might not help.I would like to see 2 things:1). Is the soundsystem actually started at boot ?
# chkconfig --list | grep sound

2). If you still have a 2007.1 Live CD . . or even a PCLos 2007 Live CD . . can you boot it, check the sound and post the result of

# cat /etc/modprobe.conf | grep -i sound

to see what the driver is that it is using.Then if we give up all hope on getting a fix we could ./install that OSS driver and see what else we have to adapt to get sound working in all apps.:rolleyes: Bruno

So do you think we should wait to see if Mandriva's fix fixes things before doing anything further?
[root@localhost sue]# chkconfig --list | grep soundsound 0:off 1:off 2:on 3:on 4:on 5:on 6:off
I'll see if I can find my copy of 2007.1 and reboot.And here I thought it was going to be clear sailing once I got my printer up and running. :thumbsup:

No more Mandriva 2007...must've given it away. From PCLos 2007...

[root@localhost guest]# cat /etc/modprobe.conf | grep -i soundalias sound-slot-0 snd-intel8x0

And here I thought it was going to be clear sailing once I got my printer up and running. :thumbsup:
I know . . . . it's annoying if a bug hits you . . . . so let us hope they will fix it soon. ( actually as soon as we have all the relevant info you should file a bug at http://bugzilla.mandriva.com/ . . you can then track the bug and will be the first to know when the fix is ready )Very curious about what alsa driver PCLos is using.:rolleyes: Bruno

No more Mandriva 2007...must've given it away. From PCLos 2007...alias sound-slot-0 snd-intel8x0
See ? We have the correct driver in use in 2008 . . it is the same as in PCLos.Please file a bug at http://bugzilla.mandriva.com/ . . . . snd-intel8x0 is not working in 2008, include output of:$ cat /proc/cpuinfo$ cat /etc/modprobe.conf | grep -i sound$ lspcidrake -v | grep -i audioB) Bruno

See ? We have the correct driver in use in 2008 . . it is the same as in PCLos.Please file a bug at http://bugzilla.mandriva.com/ . . . . snd-intel8x0 is not working in 2008, include output of:$ cat /proc/cpuinfo$ cat /etc/modprobe.conf | grep -i sound$ lspcidrake -v | grep -i audioB) Bruno
Okey dokes. One question...is this a hardware problem?

[root@localhost guest]# cat /proc/cpuinfoprocessor : 0vendor_id : GenuineIntelcpu family : 15model : 2model name : Intel® Celeron® CPU 2.20GHzstepping : 9cpu MHz : 2200.000cache size : 128 KBfdiv_bug : nohlt_bug : nof00f_bug : nocoma_bug : nofpu : yesfpu_exception : yescpuid level : 2wp : yesflags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe up cid xtprbogomips : 4359.09[root@localhost guest]# cat /etc/modprobe.conf | grep -i soundalias sound-slot-0 snd-intel8x0[root@localhost guest]# lspcidrake -v | grep -i audiosnd-intel8x0 : Silicon Integrated Systems [siS]|SiS7012 PCI Audio Accelerator [MULTIMEDIA_AUDIO] (vendor:1039 device:7012 subv:1849 subd:7012)

[root@localhost guest]# lspcidrake -v | grep -i audiosnd-intel8x0 : Silicon Integrated Systems [siS]|SiS7012 PCI Audio Accelerator [MULTIMEDIA_AUDIO] (vendor:1039 device:7012 subv:1849 subd:7012)
How the heck it sees an SIS chip where in fact it is a CMedia chip ???? :hmm:Magical Mystery Tour ?And on top of that, on my machine it sees the correct chip in its correct configuration. (Audigy 4) :thumbsup:

How the heck it sees an SIS chip where in fact it is a CMedia chip ???? :hmm:Magical Mystery Tour ?And on top of that, on my machine it sees the correct chip in its correct configuration. (Audigy 4) :thumbsup:
That was in PCLos. It also sees it that way in Mandriva...
[sue@localhost ~]$ cat /proc/cpuinfoprocessor : 0vendor_id : GenuineIntelcpu family : 15model : 2model name : Intel® Celeron® CPU 2.20GHzstepping : 9cpu MHz : 1100.000cache size : 128 KBfdiv_bug : nohlt_bug : nof00f_bug : nocoma_bug : nofpu : yesfpu_exception : yescpuid level : 2wp : yesflags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe up cid xtprbogomips : 4357.88clflush size : 64[sue@localhost ~]$ cat /etc/modprobe.conf | grep -i soundalias sound-slot-0 snd_intel8x0[sue@localhost ~]$ lspcidrake -v | grep -i audiosnd_intel8x0 : Silicon Integrated Systems [siS]|AC'97 Sound Controller [MULTIMEDIA_AUDIO] (vendor:1039 device:7012 subv:1849 subd:7012)[sue@localhost ~]$ suPassword:[root@localhost sue]# lsmod | grep sndsnd_seq_dummy 3492 0snd_seq_oss 29888 0snd_seq_midi_event 6912 1 snd_seq_osssnd_seq 46800 5 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi_eventsnd_seq_device 7276 3 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seqsnd_pcm_oss 37216 0snd_mixer_oss 14784 1 snd_pcm_osssnd_intel8x0 29404 4snd_ac97_codec 96836 1 snd_intel8x0ac97_bus 2752 1 snd_ac97_codecsnd_pcm 69636 4 snd_pcm_oss,snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codecsnd_timer 19652 3 snd_seq,snd_pcmsnd 45092 15 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_seq_device,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm,snd_timersoundcore 6624 1 sndsnd_page_alloc 8456 2 snd_intel8x0,snd_pcm

[sue@localhost ~]$ cat /proc/cpuinfoprocessor : 0vendor_id : GenuineIntelcpu family : 15model : 2model name : Intel® Celeron® CPU 2.20GHzstepping : 9cpu MHz : 1100.000cache size : 128 KBfdiv_bug : nohlt_bug : nof00f_bug : nocoma_bug : nofpu : yesfpu_exception : yescpuid level : 2wp : yesflags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe up cid xtprbogomips : 4357.88clflush size : 64[sue@localhost ~]$ cat /etc/modprobe.conf | grep -i soundalias sound-slot-0 snd_intel8x0[sue@localhost ~]$ lspcidrake -v | grep -i audiosnd_intel8x0 : Silicon Integrated Systems [siS]|AC'97 Sound Controller [MULTIMEDIA_AUDIO] (vendor:1039 device:7012 subv:1849 subd:7012)[sue@localhost ~]$ suPassword:[root@localhost sue]# lsmod | grep sndsnd_seq_dummy 3492 0snd_seq_oss 29888 0snd_seq_midi_event 6912 1 snd_seq_osssnd_seq 46800 5 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi_eventsnd_seq_device 7276 3 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seqsnd_pcm_oss 37216 0snd_mixer_oss 14784 1 snd_pcm_osssnd_intel8x0 29404 4snd_ac97_codec 96836 1 snd_intel8x0ac97_bus 2752 1 snd_ac97_codecsnd_pcm 69636 4 snd_pcm_oss,snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codecsnd_timer 19652 3 snd_seq,snd_pcmsnd 45092 15 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_seq_device,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm,snd_timersoundcore 6624 1 sndsnd_page_alloc 8456 2 snd_intel8x0,snd_pcm
That is good info . . . and according to that info the sound should work . . . . ( like it did in 2007 & 2007.1 ) . . that is why we call it a "bug" ;):thumbsup: Bruno

That is good info . . . and according to that info the sound should work . . . . ( like it did in 2007 & 2007.1 ) . . that is why we call it a "bug" ;):thumbsup: Bruno
Reported. :rolleyes:

Bug#: 34800 . . . . will follow it ;)Now we can have a look at the CMI9739 Driver package Striker proposed:In the README you can find the instructions:

Step 1. Unzip source code tar xzf cmaudio-xxx.tar.gzStep 2. Complied source code and install ./installStep 3. Edit your /etc/modules.conf or conf.modules depending on the Distribution alias sound-slot-0 cmaudio post-install sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -L >/dev/null 2>&1 || : pre-remove sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -S >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
In step 3 the file to edit should be /etc/modprobe.confBut FIRST make a backup of the /etc/modprobe.conf . . . or did we already do that ??:thumbsup: Bruno

Yep the README is in the package ;)Rightclick the package and choose "extract here" . . then "cd" into the directory and do ./install ;)NOTE: The package was tested on RedHat 7.2 and works on RH 8.0 too . . . says the README . . so it is pretty old :POR "tar -jxvf cmaudio*" . . . . ( The instructions in the README are lame :thumbsup: ):rolleyes: Bruno

Yep the README is in the package ;)Rightclick the package and choose "extract here" . . then "cd" into the directory and do ./install ;)NOTE: The package was tested on RedHat 7.2 and works on RH 8.0 too . . . says the README . . so it is pretty old :POR "tar -jxvf cmaudio*" . . . . ( The instructions in the README are lame :thumbsup: ):rolleyes: Bruno
Yeah, I've seen better READMEs.LOLOk, done.

Now add those 3 lines to the /etc/modprobe.conf:

alias sound-slot-0 cmaudio post-install sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -L >/dev/null 2>&1 || : pre-remove sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -S >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
and reboot . . . . and see what happens.The KDE Control Center -> Soundsystem is still set to "Auto" ?? ( because "alsa" will not work :thumbsup: ):rolleyes: Bruno