Sound issues with Mandriva 2008

SueD

That's what I thought but I don't have Gnome as an option...DefaultCustomIceWMKDEdrak3devilwmFailsafeHeaven only knows what kind of trouble I can get into by choosing Custom. ;)

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SueD

• Bruno

• striker

• cybormoron

Hi SueYou will have to install gnome-desktop ( I think that is the meta package ) using the MCC . . . after that you should have the choice at the login screen.:) Bruno

Sorry . . I was wrong . . In Mandriva 2008 the meta package is called "task-gnome" ( or you can take "task-gnome-minimal" ):) Bruno

Hubby will be happy since he'll be able to hear what he's doing on pogo again.Embedded wave files aren't working and I still have no sounds when trying to play my videos in VLC.Do you think buying a sound card will work?UPDATE: sound is gone again. :) That's it, I'm getting a new card.

Edited by SueD

Take care Sue which card you buy... Maybe it's a good idea to just look around only, then post what you have in mind. So we might be able to dig up something about linux compatibility before you buy it.

Striker, do you think I'd screw that up? :) Ok, so I didn't buy the best printer but how bad could this turn out? ;) What I'm looking at is a Creative Labs Audigy SE.

exactly, the SE is ... eh not good Sue. I use an Audigy4 (not pro), got it from something like ebay, works like a charm in fedora 6,mandy Spring, pclos 2007, debian 4r1, openSUSE 10.3 and Mandriva 2008 One (KDE).The latest Creatives, XiFi series : there's only a beta 64bit driver out there and I haven't heard of results yet, positive or negative. No 32bit driver yet AFAIK. :)

Ok.The only other option the place I usually buy things from is an AOpen PCI 6 Channel. If that's no good, then I'll have to either go to Ottawa or buy online.

I bought this one for my daughter 2 years ago. If I'm reading that chart right, it should be ok?
That'll definitely work Sue. I have one in my XP box and it works with Puppy Linux. Also I have an AOpen AW-840 4-channel PCI card in my main Linux desktop that works fine with Ubuntu. Edited by raymac46

I bought this one for my daughter 2 years ago. If I'm reading that chart right, it should be ok?
Yes I agree with Ray . . that Creative SB card will most definitely work ! ( but since the "reconfigure" button in the MCC --> Hardware does not work we will need to adapt the /etc/modprobe.conf manually . . . . let us know when you are ready )B) Bruno

My new card arrived this morning! I'll install it later today after I get home from where ever we go today. Installation won't be any different than it was with my vid card, will it?

Just plug it in and see if it pic it up and auto-configures . . . if not we will have to know the exact type of the card ans see what driver it uses . . . next we adapt the /etc/modprobe.conf file so it loads the correct driver at the next boot.B) Bruno

G'day Bruno.It's in but it didn't autoconfig. There's a lot more places I could've plugged my speakers into back there. I wasn't quite sure which one to use soooo since they had been plugged into the green hole previously, that's where I plugged them in this time. My husband said I could plug it there, in the green or in the black. Right place or wrong?

The green should be okay Sue.Boot a PCLos Live CD and look what driver it uses in /etc/modprobe.confIf it is the card I think you have the line would be "alias sound-slot-0 snd_emu10k1"B) Bruno

The green should be okay Sue.Boot a PCLos Live CD and look what driver it uses in /etc/modprobe.confIf it is the card I think you have the line would be "alias sound-slot-0 snd_emu10k1"B) Bruno
Oooh, close...
[guest@localhost guest]$ cat /etc/modprobe.confinstall usb-interface /sbin/modprobe ohci-hcd; /sbin/modprobe ehci-hcd; /bin/truealias sound-slot-1 snd-emu10k1remove snd-intel8x0 /sbin/modprobe -r snd-pcm-oss; /sbin/modprobe --first-time -r --ignore-remove snd-intel8x0install snd-intel8x0 /sbin/modprobe --first-time --ignore-install snd-intel8x0 && { /sbin/modprobe snd-pcm-oss; /bin/true; }remove snd-emu10k1 /sbin/modprobe -r snd-pcm-oss; /sbin/modprobe --first-time -r --ignore-remove snd-emu10k1install snd-emu10k1 /sbin/modprobe --first-time --ignore-install snd-emu10k1 && { /sbin/modprobe snd-pcm-oss; /bin/true; }alias sound-slot-0 snd-intel8x0alias net-pf-10 off

Did you disable the on-board sound chip in the BIOS ??? ( that is the first step B) )Next reboot and remove the old line for the onboard from the /etc/modprobe.conf . . and then add: alias sound-slot-0 snd_emu10k1 ( I think PCLos uses the - and Mandriva the _ between snd and emu10k1 )Next reboot again and see what happens . . . . is Kmix present and do you get a mixer-panel when you press the button in Kmix ?:thumbsup: BrunoPS: These 4 lines can go . . .they are not needed:

remove snd-intel8x0 /sbin/modprobe -r snd-pcm-oss; /sbin/modprobe --first-time -r --ignore-remove snd-intel8x0install snd-intel8x0 /sbin/modprobe --first-time --ignore-install snd-intel8x0 && { /sbin/modprobe snd-pcm-oss; /bin/true; }remove snd-emu10k1 /sbin/modprobe -r snd-pcm-oss; /sbin/modprobe --first-time -r --ignore-remove snd-emu10k1install snd-emu10k1 /sbin/modprobe --first-time --ignore-install snd-emu10k1 && { /sbin/modprobe snd-pcm-oss; /bin/true; }

Disable the onboard sound chip? Um, no. I'll do that now. I'll be back.Listen, if you're busy, we can do this later...just letting you know I'm ok with waiting. B)

[root@localhost sue]# cat /etc/modprobe.confalias eth0 sis900alias sound-slot-0 snd_emu10k1install usb-interface /sbin/modprobe ohci_hcd; /sbin/modprobe ehci_hcd; /bin/trueinstall ide-controller /sbin/modprobe sis5513; /bin/trueinstall ipv6 /bin/truealias sound-slot-1 snd_emu10k1remove snd-intel8x0 /sbin/modprobe --first-time -r --ignore-remove snd-intel8x0install snd-intel8x0 /sbin/modprobe --first-time --ignore-install snd-intel8x0remove snd_intel8x0 /sbin/modprobe --first-time -r --ignore-remove snd_intel8x0install snd_intel8x0 /sbin/modprobe --first-time --ignore-install snd_intel8x0
Remove the last 4 lines??? I already see alias sound-slot-1 snd_emu10k1 in there...or do you want me to change it to alias sound-slot-0 snd_emu10k1? Or ignore it and add alias sound-slot-0 snd_emu10k1?

It's okay . . I have loads of time . . . . and it will be fixed in minutes :DB) Bruno

Remove the last 4 lines??? I already see alias sound-slot-1 snd_emu10k1 in there...or do you want me to change it to alias sound-slot-0 snd_emu10k1? Or ignore it and add alias sound-slot-0 snd_emu10k1?
Crosspost . . . . . LOL . . . . well you only need sound-slot-0 . . . Yes you can remover the last 4 lines . . . they are useless.Actually you should already have sound this way . . . . did you reboot after the edit ?B) Bruno

I HAVE SOUND!!! Real LOUD sound!!! B)
HURRRRRRRRRAY !!! :thumbsup: B) BrunoPS: You can use the "black exit" of the card for a second pair of speakers behind you . . there are special sliders for in in Kmix

Now I know what I want for Christmas....new speakers! B) Kmix looks so different now...lots of things in there for me to get into trouble with. :thumbsup: Thanks again Bruno.