Sound issues with Mandriva 2008

SueD

Now add those 3 lines to the /etc/modprobe.conf: and reboot . . . . and see what happens.The KDE Control Center -> Soundsystem is still set to "Auto" ?? ( because "alsa" will not work ;) )B) Bruno
Ok, I rebooted and got all kinds of warning messages that it didn't like the lines that started with post-install and pre-remove. Not a good sign.And yes, it's still set to auto.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SueD

• Bruno

• striker

• cybormoron

Remove those 2 lines and only leave the alias sound-slot-0 cmaudio . . and see if that helps to get a nice boot . . . and sound.If not revert to the old /etc/modprobe.conf and patiently wait for the bug to be fixed ( or go back to 2007.1 and wait for the bug to be fixed );) Bruno

Ok, I removed those two lines and rebooted. No warning messages...that's good. But I checked at one of the sites I go to and there's no sound...that's not good. So I guess I'll wait and see if Mandriva fixes things.Should I remove that cmaudio after removing the remaining line in the /etc/modprobe.conf?Hmm, stick with 2008 that has no sound or go back to 2007.1 and live without a scanner again? Tough decision. I think I'll stick with 2008.LOLThanks Bruno and Striker. I'll just wait for a fix.

Let's see what the guys come up with. I'm curious. ;)
I'm curious too but I wonder if maybe my issue might not be resolved. Looking over the Mandriva forums, most of the posts I saw with similar problems involved Dell.

I think I'll stick with 2008.LOL
That is a wise decision . . . that way you can give more info ( execute commands and post results ) if they ask for it.
I'm curious too but I wonder if maybe my issue might not be resolved. Looking over the Mandriva forums, most of the posts I saw with similar problems involved Dell.
But most of them with onboard intell ac97 chips . . . all different kinds of them . . . and so is yours.
Should I remove that cmaudio after removing the remaining line in the /etc/modprobe.conf?
You want to replace that line with the old one:
alias sound-slot-0 snd-intel8x0

. . or just for fun try this one

alias sound-slot-0 i810_audio

and see if that helps.;) Bruno

But most of them with onboard intell ac97 chips . . . all different kinds of them . . . and so is yours.;) Bruno
That's reassuring. B) 'Just for fun', I replaced the line with alias sound-slot-0 i810_audio without any luck. So I'll go put everything back as it should and wait for a fix.Thanks for your time Bruno.

Hi SueSince it is mostly on websites that you have video/sound problems . . . can you try this:Add the PLF sources ( free and non-free ) . . .

# urpmi.addmedia --update plf-free ftp://ftp.free.fr/pub/Distributions_Linux/plf/mandriva/2008.0/free/release/binary/i586/ with media_info/synthesis.hdlist.cz# urpmi.addmedia --update plf-nonfree ftp://ftp.free.fr/pub/Distributions_Linux/plf/mandriva/2008.0/non-free/release/binary/i586/ with media_info/synthesis.hdlist.cz

( Those are 2 x ONE line :hysterical: ) After that install 2 packages:

# urpmi xine-faad# urpmi faad2

Next try if now you have sound where previously you did not have sound . . Finally, and do not forget, remove the PLF sources to avoid that in the future you mix up packages:

# urpmi.removemedia plf-free# urpmi.removemedia plf-nonfree

Let me know if it worked ;):w00t: Bruno

Thank you Bruno.This is the ftp install. I d/l and burned a copy of One the other day for a friend but he hasn't picked it up yet. I wonder if I shouldn't give it a try on another partition and see if I can get sound going on there.

I wonder if I shouldn't give it a try on another partition and see if I can get sound going on there.
That is a real good idea . . . . or maybe even test the sound running it "Live".BTW: Can you give a link to a site where you do not have sound ?:hysterical: BrunoPS: The faad2 stuff from the post above was for playing .mov files . . . it gave video but not audio without the faad2.

Ok, partial success after installing One. I bought some webisodes of a new show and I can get picture and sound with Kaffeine. Vlc doesn't give sound. But that's the only improvement.

BTW: Can you give a link to a site where you do not have sound ?
Sorry, 2 of the sites I go to are private and I don't have permission to grant access to anyone. But I don't have any sounds while playing games at pogo.com.

Sorry, 2 of the sites I go to are private and I don't have permission to grant access to anyone. But I don't have any sounds while playing games at pogo.com.
And there are no sites with the same format of files you know of ? . . . I am not good in games so pogo is a waste on me ;)Anyway . . . I did see there are a good few updates / bufixes available for Totem today ( same engine as Xine ) . . I will test them later and post them after I come back from work. But you can already install them and see if it fixes your bug.:hysterical: Bruno

And there are no sites with the same format of files you know of ? . . . I am not good in games so pogo is a waste on me ;)Anyway . . . I did see there are a good few updates / bufixes available for Totem today ( same engine as Xine ) . . I will test them later and post them after I come back from work. But you can already install them and see if it fixes your bug.:hysterical: Bruno
My husband likes sound with his games, I can live without them.LOL But he noticed the sound in the games that come with Mandriva don't work either, if that helps.It's too early for me to be looking at source code to see how they're embedding the music into their pages but I will see if I can find it later.

One site that doesn't work in Mandriva but is fine in Slackware is http://www.ladyjayes.com/ . She has music embedded as do the two sites I go to. I compared the about:plugins in both and they are nearly identical.
That site works fine in Mandriva 2007 spring. I opened it with Konqueror (the default browser in Mandriva). Anil

That site works fine in Mandriva 2007 spring. I opened it with Konqueror (the default browser in Mandriva). Anil
Yup, IIRC, it worked for me in 2007.1 (I sometimes open it for a little background music). I just tried it in kongueror. Mplayer opened and it went through all the motions but there was no sound.*sigh* I had considered reinstalling 2007.1 and waiting till there was a fix to this but y'know, having no sound doesn't prevent me from doing whatever I do on my computer, but it sure would make it more enjoyable.

My husband likes sound with his games, I can live without them.LOL But he noticed the sound in the games that come with Mandriva don't work either, if that helps.
I just tested pogo.com ( a demo ) and I did have sound in 2008. . . . the demo I got was in flash.
One site that doesn't work in Mandriva but is fine in Slackware is http://www.ladyjayes.com/ .
I tested a few songs from that site ( lovely songs ;) ) and I did get sound.NOTE: I already did the totem updates I will be posting in a minute in the 'NEW UPDATES" thread.:thumbsup: BrunoPS: Any chance you can plug in a PCI soundcard in that computer ?

Yup, IIRC, it worked for me in 2007.1 (I sometimes open it for a little background music). I just tried it in kongueror. Mplayer opened and it went through all the motions but there was no sound.*sigh* I had considered reinstalling 2007.1 and waiting till there was a fix to this but y'know, having no sound doesn't prevent me from doing whatever I do on my computer, but it sure would make it more enjoyable.
Well... Konqueror opens Mplayer and it plays the .wav file without any problem. May be audio/wav plugin is not installed for your Mplayer ? ;) I tried to open the site on laptop running Mandriva 2008 and it could play the embedded .wav file .Can you open any other .wav files in Mplayer ?Anil

I've got two PCI slots doing nothing so I imagine I can. I'll look around and see if I can get something at a decent price.I did the updates this morning before I checked what sites worked in Slackware. It made no difference.I was wondering if all this could be an Fx issue till I tried ladyjayes site in kongueror after Anil said it worked for him. Y'know, at this point, I'm still not convinced it isn't, even though Mandriva's games give me no sound at all. I'm going to install Seamonkey and see how that works.

The Mandriva games work using the soundsystem in the KDE Control Center . . . . maybe fiddle around a bit more ( again ) in there and test the MDV games ?What 2008 version did you install ? And do you only have KDE or do you have both Gnome and KDE installed ?;) Bruno

Well... Konqueror opens Mplayer and it plays the .wav file without any problem. May be audio/wav plugin is not installed for your Mplayer ? ;) I tried to open the site on laptop running Mandriva 2008 and it could play the embedded .wav file .Can you open any other .wav files in Mplayer ?Anil
My audio/wav plugin is installed and enabled. I've got Seamonkey up and running with the same quiet. :D
The Mandriva games work using the soundsystem in the KDE Control Center . . . . maybe fiddle around a bit more ( again ) in there and test the MDV games ?What 2008 version did you install ? And do you only have KDE or do you have both Gnome and KDE installed ?:thumbsup: Bruno
I'll play around in there again.This is the ftp install but with the LiveCD, I chose the KDE one.

. . . but with the LiveCD, I chose the KDE one.
Maybe try the Gnome One ??You seem to have troubles with sound in flash based video too . . . . But I still think that getting a PCI soundcard ( supported ) would be the best option since the only problems I read about with sound and 2008 are intell-onboard-chips. Sure you could wait for the bug-fix, but a decent ( cheap ) soundcard is a real joy.;) Bruno

Maybe try the Gnome One ??You seem to have troubles with sound in flash based video too . . . . But I still think that getting a PCI soundcard ( supported ) would be the best option since the only problems I read about with sound and 2008 are intell-onboard-chips. Sure you could wait for the bug-fix, but a decent ( cheap ) soundcard is a real joy.;) Bruno
Okey dokes. I'll download a copy of the Gnome one and see if that works. And I'll do some homework on soundcards while I'm waiting. :thumbsup:

Some success!Installed Mandriva 2008 One (Gnome)...and I can hear embedded wave files! Heck, I even have sound in Pogo.I can't get my save videos playing yet but give me some time...I'll try to figure that out.LOLI've still got to do updates and such but before I do that I was wondering if I shouldn't just install this over the / partition of my original 2008 install. But I'm not sure if that's doable since that's KDE and this is Gnome. Advice?

Edited by SueD

Hi SueYep Gnome uses another sound-engine than KDE . . . . so I am glad you do have sound using Gnome.You could add Gnome to your FTP install and see if you also have sound if you log in to Gnome ( btw: you can run KDE programs in Gnome, like the konqueror filemanager, and can even make it almost look like Gnome ;) )B) Bruno

I hope I understand you correctly : log out and back in : on the lower left hand of the screen you'll see 'Session' and 'Menu' . Click Session, select Gnome and (after typing in your username and password) hit the enter button.