Attempting to connect with DSL

longgone

PClos eh ? I remember having struggled with the connection too, let's see if I can find where I posted the solution to that one. BBL Aligator...

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• longgone

• ross549

• FuzzButt

• striker

Found it:http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.ph...st&p=227135For Spring it works the same.Now there's one note tho:Just yesterday and today I'm in the middle of testing the PCLinuxOS Business Edition Desktop which in great lines is about the same as PClos 2007 regarding functioning of hardware support. On an old junker PC I tested it on the connection was set up smoothly during install, on the main machine which I used also for setting up PClos 2007 it worked right at the start too. But PClos 2007 wouldn't behave, it took the approach listed in the link above to get it working.Spring worked right away out of the box. Go figure. But trying never hurts. ;)

Question ..........I have installed XP on my extra machine in order to check out these DSL modems and the router .... I am currently connected to the web using dial-up ... I cannot get a connection to the web with either DSL modem ... all I get is the unable to connect to server error .. does the dial up connection need to be unplugged from the dial up modem in order for the broadband to connect up .... ?????

:whistling: .............Well then I guess neither one is any good .... it says I am connected on the broadband and when I click on the monitor icon and select status it shows incoming/outgoing bytes but they are very few not what should be showing if the connection is active ... All I know is this is not the way I remember XP at all ... Edited by longgone

Not using the router at all ... I figure it this way .... get the DSL up an running then do the router ... if it is any good ...

Guest LilBambi
Not using the router at all ... I figure it this way .... get the DSL up an running then do the router ... if it is any good ...
The KISS approach ... always best with troubleshooting. :whistling:

It would be easier to check with the router than without in XP. Once you can address the router VIA its admin page, then you can use the WAN setup wizard to check the modem.Unless you have the original setup disks for the modems, it would be difficult to set them up without the router.As long as you have XP installed, try it that way. Connect the cable to the router and reboot. Go to the command prompt and type "ipconfig/all" and check the gateway address. Then go into IE and type that address into the address bar. That will take you to the routers admin page.Attach the modem to the router's WAN port, wait for the lights, and then run the router's setup wizard. When asked for the WAN connection type, chose PPPoE and type in the user name and password furnish by Earthlink. The modem should connect and the status should show as "connected" with a WAN IP address other than 0.0.0.0.Of course, this is all based on the assumption that you and the Earthlink tech have setup the modems MAC address, if needed. (You can't always just plug in any modem and have it work. Earthlink may have to set the Modem's MAC address into their computer.) Edited by lewmur

Guest LilBambi

That's true lewmur, however, if you search on the web for the exact model of DSL modem, most have a 'web' address that can be accessed with a browser.You can then create within XP a 'new connection' that accesses it and it can be tested with that connection.Verizon DSL uses that method to test their DSL modems.

The router will not come into play until I can get DSL up and running all by itself .. reason being already tried with the router and it did not work ....Here is what I have with this Speed Stream DSL modem ... there was no install disk to begin with just print instructons .... did it, did it, did it, the DSL modem is correctly hooked up, the lights look pretty, BUT BUT, according to the little icon it has"little or no connectivity" .. "details say" that the network did not assign a network address to the computer .... so from my point of view .... 'here I sit all broken hearted,,, my DSL can't even get started ,,, I did it right, all by the book, what gave my network address the hook ,,, :whistling: :D One must maintain a sense of humor lest one take a 25lb sledge to ones computer .....

Is the network card enabled in the BIOS?Ok it's probably a stupid question anyway but I just spent hours trying to get a network running before I remembered to check to see if the onboard NIC was enabled (it wasn't).

B) :D ...... I have not thought of that ... I guess I should give it a check .... since on this machine the ethernet jack is built into the mainboard whereas on my normal one it is a separate NIC card ....

Since he was able to pull up the router admin pages, I would say yes, his ethernet card wa working fine.Adam

• 3 weeks later...

Brought this one back up to life .... got my brand new DSL setup today .. new modem and all the fixings to go with it ..(DSL has lost a lot of weight) now I need to get it set up ... it's plugged in and ready for assistance .... one thing I have already found out is that I can't have my external dial-up modem and the DSL modem plugged into the phone line at the same time ... if I do the dial-up won't dial-up ..... so .... shall the games begin .... :thumbsup: B)

one thing I have already found out is that I can't have my external dial-up modem and the DSL modem plugged into the phone line at the same time ... if I do the dial-up won't dial-up .....
Oooppsss .. disregard that part ... now it is good to go ... but the DSL part is not yet running ....

one thing I have already found out is that I can't have my external dial-up modem and the DSL modem plugged into the phone line at the same time ... if I do the dial-up won't dial-up .....
Why not?I do/can. I don't leave my USRobotics V.92 external plugged in since it is my backup way of connecting but it works just fine wither faxing or connecting to SBC/Dial if I need to test something. As long as you have the dial modem in a POTS port of the DSL filter you should be fine.

FuzzButt................Forget I said that part ... it is good now ..... just for a moment it did not want to connect via dial-up and after I disconnected the DSL line it worked ... I jumped ahead of myself there ......BUT .... update on this subject ... the DSL modem is plugged in, powered up, and, by golly, all four of the lights are lit ,, pwr, ethernet, dsl, and internet .... this is good (?????) ... the most pressing problem is that I can't find a means of getting to the web using DSL ,,, I am fairly sure it is something within Debian that I need to make changes to but what, where and how is the problem ,,, my other 3 OS's are still to be done ... well thats the latest bit of info ..

Is the modem setup yet? If it is a PPPoE connection you need to set it up still. What kind of modem is it> and who is your DSL provider?For instance I have SBC DSL Elite here. I have a Speedstream 4100 modem that uses PPPoE. I needed to setup a user account and enter that into my modem, 192,168.0.1 is it's default address. Your setup may be different but most home DSL is run this way.

DSL provider is Earthlink ,, the modem is a ZyXEL P660R ..... my best guess is that it will be a PPPoE connection ... and therein is my problem .... I am using Debian as my main/primary OS ... somewhere in there I need to set the connection up ... I have gone into "network connections" and the "eth0" connection is active but I can't find a way/means of ensuring that it is set up to operate .... I figure that after I get DSL up and going then I can install my router ... but one step at a time for now ..

Have you gone to http://kb.earthlink.net/case.asp?article=157473 this is the KB article for your modem/earthink info. Also you cannot browse while using your dialup in Windows I assume that this is the same for linux as well.Your modem needs to do all the PPPoE work or you will need to set that up in your router after changing the modem to a gateway connection.Also I would go to this site with any earthink related DSL issues. I have always had good success finding what I need from them. http://www.dslreports.com/faq/earthlink

That first link appeared when I tried the DSL out on my XP machine ... it came up and I did all the necessary fill ins ... one item though on it is that after I did all the fill in boxes and attempted to close it ... it gives an error message that I need to switch to IE for my browser to be able to use the hi-speed accelerator ... and then the screen freeze up and I can't get it to do nothing unless I shut down and start again ....I can browse in both Linux and XP in dial-up just can't get to the internet using DSL in either OS ...Right now ... according to the icon in the upper right corner of Debian (looks like a mouse with 2 tails) it tells me I am connected to the wired network and if I click on it and select connection information it gives a list of items as if I were connected but going by that I tried to bring up both my email and browser and the response for both is "unable to connect to server" ... to me that indicates that I do not have a web connection .... ... using the network tools selection in Debian and choosing the "hosts" tab it lists about 8 different items ... now which ones are installed or not or need to be installed I have no clue at all ....and that is where I am at right now .... somewhat confused ....

Having never setup an Earthlink DSL I am at a loss as well. I've done 3 SBC's with PPPoE and it was smooth each time. 2 of those were manually without the supplied CD. If you can connect to the modem then your OS is doing everything right. The modem is what I'd be looking at. Most likely a setting.

B) B) :D .........This has been a thoroughly confusing/interesting experience ... I would not say it was a learning experience ... more of a perplexing experience ..... I have come to these particular conclusions ,, far-fetched as they may be ....I have not as of yet found any way/means to connect to the web using DSL when I boot up from turning the computer on ,,, NOW ,,, if I connect via the dial-up I can browse the web as I always did ,, BUT ,, for reasons unknown to me the DSL seems to all of a sudden be working (???) ,, since noon my time ,, I have d/l'd 4 of the 6 cd's/iso images for Centos 5.0 average d/l speed of 154 kbps ,,, this is using Bit Tornado ,, the only glitch is that I have the yellow ball instead of the green ,, it says that either I am behind a router or a firewall ,, so I need to get some help on that item ,, I notice that all the web pages load a whole lot faster too ... (this is good, so far) ,, if I enter the URL 192.168.1.1 into the address window and go through the steps one of the windows I am presented with tells me that my DSL modem currently is in the "routing" mode and it gives instructions on how to shift to the "bridge" mode ,, so should it be as is or in "bridge" mode ... it states that in bridge mode I need another means to do PPPoE setups ... which is either the computer or a router ... this is what confuses me at the moment .... any suggestions about changing it over ?????

If you do not have a router, keep the DSL modem in router usage - that means it has a firewall. If you ever attach another router to the DSL modem, change it to bridged mode otherwise you'd have too many firewalls and never get out. (setting up bridged mode is covered on my first link below)Here are some referenceshttp://www.dslreports.com/faq/earthlink/110_Otherhttp://www.dslreports.com/faq/earthlink/110_Other#13846

If there were a firewall installed during the installation of the OS in this case Debian would that also have an effect on the connection ... I don't know where to look to see if one was installed during the installation .. so that is a thought too ..... but at the moment I am set up just like the link describes .... so from here I have no idea where to go ..

If there were a firewall installed during the installation of the OS in this case Debian would that also have an effect on the connection
Yes. But you seem to connect okay on dialup so I would think the firewall knows to let you out.It may have been a simple case of the ISP not turning on the switch to allow your modem to access the internet. In the dim recesses of my mind, I vaguely remember having to wait for Comcast to let me on. I did a self-install so I had to call and give them my info; I think it was the MAC of the modem. If the pipe was always open, then anyone could attach a modem to a computer and get on.I don't know alot about dsl, only that there are a few different ways to connect and different speed tiers. Yours may be one that you are not always connected and have to "dialup" to get a connection. The distro knows enough about the modem to have it ready to go but you have to "dialup" for it to work. (I have cable and it is always on so I need do nothing in linux and that other OS other than click my browser).

:P :D ...................Liz .... some of what you are saying seems to at least partially apply here ... since I cannot just boot up the computer and after it is ready and in the desktop ,, click on the browser icon and start surfing the web ... this is true for Debian, PCLOS2007, and MD2007.1 .. I have not tried it in Slack yet, I need to check the swaret.config setup there first .... A prime example of this confused mess is this .... today I booted up into PCLOS2007 (I did a re-install of it earlier in the week but no updates) I booted into it at about 7 A.M. my time, there were 149 pkgs/348MB of updates to d/l on my dial-up that would have been all day and part of tomorrow .. but I wanted to see if I would get the same results in PCLOS that I got in Debian with Bit Tornado ,,, and I did .... total d/l time for all those updates was 35 minutes at avg speed of 159kbps ... now I know it can be faster ,, don't know how to accomplish it ,, booted into MD2007.1 to try it there ... no good ... it was same old d/l speed of 4.5-5.0kbps .. so either in the OS setup for broadband or the DSL modem something needs to be changed ...I even went so far as to shut down the DSL modem, and unplug it for awhile and it made no difference .....

If you can get your browser to the modem, 192.168.1.1 acording to the directions on earthlink's site that we referenced above, then your firewall is not getting in the way.Setting the modem up to do all the work for PPPoE is all that is needed. You will have to enter your username and password into the modem and it should be as simple as that. You have the right lights on your modem. I've seen pre-rollout DSL modems not light up the DSL LED's so you should have been provisioned already.You might want to call earthlink for help. Also stick with one OS instead of bouncing around between the 4 or so you have access to. Ya need to limit the amount of variables involved to figure out the solution. If it were me I would fire up any windows NT variant you can and then give them a call. Good news is according to their website your modem is compatible with Mac OS so there is no reason it is OS dependent.