Attempting to connect with DSL

longgone

I can enter the URL 192.168.1.1 in the address line and connect fine ... do all the steps up to and including the tests ... all is good ,,, all pass ,,, what frustrates me is that I can't boot up to the GUI (Desktop display) and have a means of connecting to the web so that I can do what I want to do ,,, the impression I get is that the DSL is always on ,, if that were the case then I would be able to boot up and as soon as it was ready I should click on the browser icon and connect up to Ice Weasel/Firefox and be ready to surf the web .. this is not the case ,, the boot up is complete ,, I click on the browser icon ,, it hunts around for awhile and returns the error "unable to connect to server" at the moment I am mostly focused on getting it up and running in Debian ,,, XP gave me problems so I quit for the time being on it ...I called Earthlink Tech Support ,,, and that accomplished nothing except raise my BP to 480 over 600 ... 9 out of 10 times I get someone with an accent so thick it is impossible for me to understand them and that does not make my day .... and her response was that Earthlink does not support Linux at all .... I will have a coronary yet over this fiasco ....I DO NOT RECOMMEND EARTHLINK !!!!!!.....

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• longgone

• ross549

• FuzzButt

• striker

That is on DSL right? Mine is also in the 45ms range.What this is telling you is you can get out on your modem. Your issue is elsewhere.Where that is I cannot say. I'm a linux nub.

I'm pretty sure those numbers are on DSL .... I might shut off the DSL modem and see what I get with just dial-up ... I'm almost 99pct sure the problem is elsewhere I just don't know where or how to search for it ..... This is how I think it should work ... pwr up the computer let it go through P.O.S.T. and into the desktop display then I should be able to click on the icon for the web browser and away I go ... come here , go there , whatever close the browser out and then go to email ... but that is not the case ... I guess I'll be on dial-up for awhile longer ..... :blink:

:clap: :clap: :clap2: :clap2: B) :happyroll: :thumbup: :thumbup: .............. Needless to say .. I am quite pleased right now ..... even though I am posting from XP (gag) I am doing it on DSL .... all by itself with no help from dial-up ... after much fussin', fightin' 'n feudin' with Earthlink (and considerable rudeness on my part) it finally works ... what it basically came down to was that it was not automatically doing the DNS numbers .. force fed it a primary and a secondary ,, entered them in and now it works ,,, I think that my d/l speed could be much faster than it is ...but don't know how to approach that situation at the moment ... but it is good ... next step to see if it works in Linux ... :blink: B)

That is pretty respectable for 1500/512 DSL. TCP/IP will knock that number back 8% and if your ISP uses IP to ATM conversion as well your looking at over 20% overhead so your numbers are really quite good.

:hmm: :hmm: ... ?????All I can say is I d/l disks 1 through 3 of slackware 12.0 in 3.5 hours overall .... only problem is can't get disk 1 to boot ....

:) :thumbsdown: .......Quick question on this router setup .... should I change the DSL modem to bridged mode before I start this .. or does it even matter ...