USA Today gives Victory to Linux

teacher

USAToday had a rather flattering rehash of Munich's decision to go with SuSe. The hard copy was the first two pages of the Money section today. Don't know if all the details are in the web article, but there are some new tidbits buried in the paper version.I thought it a victory for Linux that such a major paper here would devote two whole pages to how Linux is slowly taking on the giant!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• teacher

• quint

• BarryB

• Bruno

Top Posters In This Topic

Still many cities to go, but for Germany Munich is an important one !More and more details coming out last few days . . . . very tasty read material . . ;)B) Bruno

Thanks, Julia - a wonderful read! I really enjoy it when hard work, and an honest work ethic finally pay off! B) So it is going for Linux - YAY!!! B)

This sure shows how the trend has been forming. People are starting to take notice that don't read computer magazines or try to keep up on the latest. The funny thing is at the beginning of the summer people looked at me like I was crazy to switch over and immerse myself in Linux. Now I just get questions ranging from the curious to the envious! It will be fun to go to teacher workshops next week and find out what the state curriculum is for the Linux course. :D

Julia quoteth:

The funny thing is at the beginning of the summer people looked at me like I was crazy to switch over and immerse myself in Linux. Now I just get questions ranging from the curious to the envious!
I went through something similar with the missus: when first starting out on the "Linux Distro Safari", my wife asked, "what are you crappin' up the computer with now?"...told her a Linux distribution, to which she inquired about the price, and when I informed her it was free, she went merrily on her way. :rolleyes: Later on she saw me playing "Shisen-Sho", and asked if she could try that...after several hours, I asked if I could try that! :D She then asked, "do they make that for Windows?" :D Amazing, isn't it? :D

Ouch!!!
Thing was, Julia, I found it for Win98SE...the exact one that's included in most Linux distros; reason I found/installed it for her: so that I could have Linux back!! :rolleyes:

QuintLinux has sometimes such nice games that they are often adapted later for Windows too . . . look at Tux-racer, there is a windows version for that one too . . . just imagine the Linux Tux sliding of a Windows snow track :D :rolleyes: :D :D :D :D This is an omen . . . . . B) Bruno

Now if they Just have a windows version for Ktuberling ( mr potato Guy) I...ummmm my son would be happy...But then again he can now play with his cartoon network site in Mandrake (Using Mozilla) :rolleyes:

Thing was, Julia, I found it for Win98SE...the exact one that's included in most Linux distros; reason I found/installed it for her: so that I could have Linux back!! :rolleyes:
Whatever it takes to keep control of our computers! :D

JuliaYou sure hit that nail right on the head...except I try to take over their computers too :D

BarryTechnically every computer in the house is mine but one since I bought them all. Daughter's was a present, I think, so I will let her claim it. She uses it to the max during the school year and has Maya on it so I don't tamper with it (except to run live CDs when she is at work - don't tell!). Hubby is delegated to my cast-offs. Don't know why he wanted to keep the old cast off in case he lost control of the current cast off! I think I can get by with saying "our".

Thing was, Julia, I found it for Win98SE...the exact one that's included in most Linux distros; reason I found/installed it for her: so that I could have Linux back!! :D
"The fair lady hath much wisdom, in her stead." :D New trouble brewing: she now wants "Frozen Bubble", and this one eludes me for Windows. :rolleyes: Has anyone seen a Windows version...please! :D

JuliaI wholeheartedly agree with your version of ownership. I have bought every computer...so technically they are mine...However, like you I make concessions on apparent ownership...though somehow when they("the computers") are "broken" everyone agrees that yes indeed I do own them and as such, should fix them..and after they are fixed, ownership reverts back to the non-technical family member.LOL...The "perk" of this arrangment is I can load (Linux) what ever I want (Exception being wifes laptop..Hee Hee but it has seen linux too..Love those live CD's)...The other perk is everybody leaves my toys alone!!

QuintLinux has sometimes such nice games that they are often adapted later for Windows too . . . look at Tux-racer, there is a windows version for that one too . . . just imagine the Linux Tux sliding of a Windows snow track  B)  :rolleyes:  :D  :D  :D  :D This is an omen . . . . . B) Bruno
Bruno, I think back in April, I mentioned that the kids found that on some website, asked me to please put it on their computer, and that really "perked" my interest in Linux...but was not until "All Things Linux", your never-ending help, and members' support and help, that transformed me into a "Linux Wanna Know Everything I Possibly Can About It Penguin Hopeful". :D B) Thanks...I like this omen. :D

"The fair lady hath much wisdom, in her stead." :D New trouble brewing: she now wants "Frozen Bubble", and this one eludes me for Windows. :rolleyes: Has anyone seen a Windows version...please! :D
Try "Bubble Puzzle"http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_desc...fid,4989,00.aspI believe I used to have this game on windows, but I have no more windows, so I cannot check to be sure... ;)tranquilo

Try "Bubble Puzzle"http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_desc...fid,4989,00.aspI believe I used to have this game on windows, but I have no more windows, so I cannot check to be sure... ;)tranquilo
Thanks, tranquilo. :D Though this is not the same as the Linux game, will try it for my wife...maybe it will sate her appetite for awhile. :D Thanks again, and on that same page is one game that I loved in Windows: "Snowcraft", about the little kids snowball-fight - it was great! Wish there was a Linux version of that one...maybe using "Wine"? :D

QuintAbout ten years ago I placed the same as frozen bubbles on Macs and it was called Snood. On my PDA and my w.... computer it is a part of Hoyle Puzzle games and it is called placer racer. I also have it on my PDA as snood. I played it on my PC for years as Snood as well. Then, to play it, I ran a Mac emulator. I know, running an emulator to play a game. No wonder Bruno throws up his hands trying to figure out what to do with me......I image if you look for it under the various names you will find it. Most list it as an arcade type game. Happy hunting! Whatever it takes to assert your ownership of the PCs and to make the family happy. :D

Julia quote:

I image if you look for it under the various names you will find it. Most list it as an arcade type game. Happy hunting! Whatever it takes to assert your ownership of the PCs and to make the family happy.
Truer words, were never spoken, thanks. :D And our good friend, and Linux compadre, BarryB, provided me with the link...I am most grateful:Frozen Bubble - WindowsIsn't it a great day! :D

Quint,At least you won´t need an emulator for that one . . . :D :D ( for a moment I was afraid you would follow the footsteps of Julia . . . :o ):o Bruno

Just because I have run live CDs of Linux on Windows, Mac emulaors on Windows, and Windows emulators on Linux. Is there a MAC emulator for Linux so I can say I have tried all different ways between the three? :D Relax, Bruno. I promise not to emulate. I promise not to emulate I promise not to emulate._____________________________The I Won't Emulate -- Happy With Linux Teacher :D

Just because I have run live CDs of Linux on Windows, Mac emulaors on Windows, and Windows emulators on Linux.  Is there a MAC emulator for Linux so I can say I have tried all different ways between the three?  :blink: Relax, Bruno.  I promise not to emulate.  I promise not to emulate I promise not to emulate._____________________________The I Won't Emulate -- Happy With Linux Teacher :D
Hi Julia, yes there is:Mac Emulator for Linux :rolleyes: :lol:

Right Quint, Brilliant . . . . but don´t give this lady idea´s, she´s bad enough herself !A Mac emulator for Linux . . . what´s next ?? :rolleyes: :DB) Bruno

I did not download the link. I did not even open it. I behaved!Right now I don't have a need for a Mac emulator. I have not seen anything that was only Mac I just had to have. But I did notice where he found it. :rolleyes: Joy the G5s might be tempting but by the time I bought all the software, the temptation is gone.

Right Quint, Brilliant . . . . but don´t give this lady idea´s, she´s bad enough herself !A Mac emulator for Linux . . . what´s next ?? :blink: :DB) Bruno
A possibility:Sparc EmulatorThe name sounds like an "imitation firework". :rolleyes: