Antivirus

DarkSerge

It's that time of year again, for me to upgrade my antivirus software. I've got maybe 32 days left on my Norton 06.So this year, I was considering switching to McAfee. Normally I just upgrade Norton for my year subscription, but this year I'm considering switching. No real reason, Norton's always done the trick for me. A friend had switched over last year, and McAfee is what my parent's computer runs.So, I was wondering what everyone around here recommends. Thought I'd get some opinions on which one is better and why.

Edited by DarkSerge

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DarkSerge

• Debora

• Gary

• JerryM

James M. Fisher

I doubt many here would recommend either Norton or McAfee, based on past experience. I have used AVG Free as well as NOD32 on my PCs with no problems. You can download a trial of NOD32 from www.eset.comWindows One Care is another possibility for an all-in-one security suite:http://onecare.live.com/standard/en-ca/default.htmI'm sure others here will recommend various other brands! o:)

I've used AVG here for several years now.Combined with keeping windows up to date, using firefox, and running an antispyware program, AVG works great for me and the users I support. No infection that we are aware of, and windows runs 100% stable (as close as any OS can get anyway).We are using AVG free.Adam

AntiVir is great too. I have it on lappy and avast on two other machines, like them both but AntiVir seems to NOT be so resource hungry.I agree about breaking someones fingers if they even get close to my machines with Norton OR McAfee

While many of us would not use either, I have noted that reports on Wilders indicate Norton 2007 is lighter, and some are pleased with it. Norton consistently shows well on AV Comparatives.Considering Norton 2007 or McAfee I would choose Norton based only on reports of others.I might mention that when an AV expires is a good time to trial others if you have any interest in such. There are some very good ones around.IMO the top paid AVs are KAV, NOD, F-Secure, and Avira. Others are good, but any of these that run well are superb applications.Some allow one license for 2 or more machines. F-Secure allows 3, and F-Prot allows 5 if my memory serves me. Bit Defender also alows at least 2. That is sometimes a great advantage for a family.For freebies, and these seem to do the job for all I personally know that use them, AVG, Avast, and Avira are worth a try.Regards,Jerry

AntiVir is great too. I have it on lappy and avast on two other machines, like them both but AntiVir seems to NOT be so resource hungry.
Yes, AntiVir (= Avira) is good... at least used to be... haven't used it lately, though:I agree about breaking someones fingers if they even get close to my machines with Norton OR McAfee... OR WINDOWS. B)

I've been using AVG free for majority of the the past 3 or 4 years. It does the job well and the real time scanner works very well indeed. It's also lightweight compared to Symantec or McAfee.I've also used AntiVir and avast! in the past and they're both excellent choices also. B) In fact, I still have AntiVir running on my Win98 test machine.As has been mentioned already, KAV, NOD and F-Secure are also top notch programs if you don't want to settle for one that's free for home use. :thumbsup:EDIT: There you go, as per Gary's link BitDefender and PC-cillin rock also. ;)

Edited by daveydoom

This site is good of its sort, but its purpose is to sell programs. One can see that from the fact that it includes none of the perfectly good free antivirus programs. Useful, but its limitations and commercial intent should be kept in mind.

This site is good of its sort, but its purpose is to sell programs. One can see that from the fact that it includes none of the perfectly good free antivirus programs. Useful, but its limitations and commercial intent should be kept in mind.
I disagree , it has side by side comparisons, This is not put out by a Virus company. If you look at the left side of the web page you will see other Freeware Anti Virus Programs as well.It is a guide nothing more or less. I posted it to help. Can you spell G O O G L E?

STAY AWAY FROM NORTON! STAY AWAY FROM NORTON! STAY AWAY FROM NORTON! STAY AWAY FROM NORTON! STAY AWAY FROM NORTON! STAY AWAY FROM NORTON! STAY AWAY FROM NORTON! STAY AWAY FROM NORTON! STAY AWAY FROM NORTON! STAY AWAY FROM NORTON! STAY AWAY FROM NORTON! STAY AWAY FROM NORTON! STAY AWAY FROM NORTON! STAY AWAY FROM NORTON! STAY AWAY FROM NORTON! STAY AWAY FROM NORTON! STAY AWAY FROM NORTON! STAY AWAY FROM NORTON! STAY AWAY FROM NORTON!OK, now that I've got that out of my system, I'll second recommendations for AVG. It's light-weight, easy-to-use, and totally unobtrusive. It just works.

Smurfing Heck....I'm starting to feel a little insulted here for using Norton and other programs over the years. So lay off okay? I get the point, you all hate Norton and McAfee, I get it.I want info on this AVG. I was on the site and went to "Products" and most everything there had the options to buy. At the bottom I saw the AVG free edition for private use. Is that what everyone uses? Does it have any disadvantages that it's a free edition? Does it auto-update itself or do I need to check back often for updates? I'm not worried about the extras that come with virus protection, like anti-spyware or anti-spam. I'm careful enough with my computer that spyware isn't a problem. and I use gmail which catches 99.9% of my spam and files it appropriately.

James M. Fisher

Don't feel insulted at all. I still do the odd beta-test for Symantec, just to keep familiar with their products (which are improving somewhat). :w00t: The free AVG comes with no tech support, but if you register it, you can have access to the free forums: http://forum.grisoft.cz/freeforum/FWIW, I have never had a problem with any version of Free AVG. It updates whenever you start up your PC.

Guest LilBambi
I doubt many here would recommend either Norton or McAfee, based on past experience. I have used AVG Free as well as NOD32 on my PCs with no problems. You can download a trial of NOD32 from www.eset.comWindows One Care is another possibility for an all-in-one security suite:http://onecare.live.com/standard/en-ca/default.htmI'm sure others here will recommend various other brands! :w00t:
I would agree NOD32 is about the best out there and plays well with antimalware/antispyware software as well unlike some.AVG is what I use currently and I love it, but when I get some money ahead I plan to get NOD32.I have also used and really like Avast! I just wish they would allow you to schedule scans in the free version.

It updates whenever you start up your PC.
Only when I start up my PC? I shut down last night, but that was after 14 days straight of running. I always leave my PC running, I used to shut down once a week until I got my new system now I just shut down whenever I see fit or need to open up to clean and whatnot. I could get back in the habit though, cause really I don't need to let it run, I just do.

James M. Fisher
Only when I start up my PC? I shut down last night, but that was after 14 days straight of running. I always leave my PC running, I used to shut down once a week until I got my new system now I just shut down whenever I see fit or need to open up to clean and whatnot. I could get back in the habit though, cause really I don't need to let it run, I just do.
On this particular item, I cannot say for sure since I always shut down at night. I'm sure it must check more often than at startup, but you can always initiate a manual update.

I shut down my PC at night or when I leave the house. I would at least hibernate it.

Last I tried AntiVir I loved the interface but they didn't scan email. Otherwise I really liked it.
I can assure you that it's "guard" now scans email. It caught a phishing.exe file this morning for me.

I can assure you that it's "guard" now scans email. It caught a phishing.exe file this morning for me.
Hi Debora,What version of Avira are you using? It is my understanding that the free Classic does not scan incoming email, but treats is as any download. If a virus attempted to execute Classic would block it. The Premium version does scan email.Maybe there is a change, and if so great. I am not sure that Classic is less secure for not scanning email, but that is an argument I am not competent to argue.Personally, assuming Classic/free does not scan email, I would not let that keep me from using as my resident AV.Best,Jerry

From the best I can tell, it's version 7. As for scanning of email, all I can tell you is that I opened one that had an attachment but didn't open the attachment, although it appeared to come from a trusted source, I never open attachments unless I either requested it or rec'd a note in advance that it's headed my way, and even then I have implimented a neat little diddy..... if anyone is going to send me an attachment personally, they MUST include the word "wiggles" in the subject line or I delete it....... Anyway, when the email opened, and I'd not yet touched the attachment, AntiVir bleeped at me and asked what I wanted to do with the infected file. I've noticed that this version also constantly scans when I'm surfing my hard drive because I have a keylogger that I purchased and it sets off the antivirus program everytime I open the folder that holds that program.

Debora,Is yours a paid or free version of Avira. It is the free that does not scan email unless they have changed. The lack of email scanning has always been a complaint against the free version, Avira Classic.Best,Jerry

Mine is the free version..... are you kidding!!!??? LOL, If I can find it free and it works, I refuse to pay for it.... heheOne of my hobbies is finding great dealz online and off, and free is about the best deal around, right???

Mine is the free version..... are you kidding!!!??? LOL, If I can find it free and it works, I refuse to pay for it.... heheOne of my hobbies is finding great dealz online and off, and free is about the best deal around, right???
Thanks. I guess Avira has changed the Classic. That is good.Not a bad hobby you got there. :thumbsup: BTW, My Travel Access dial-up has been great. I am surprised when I am away from home on the laptop how fast 20 hours goes by. At $9.95 for 20 hours it has been well worth it to me.Best,Jerry