CrossOver Setup

teacher

The case is awesome. I am digging for the key so I can open the case. Never seen a case that locks closed! Now, where to hide the key. Actually, I am the only one in this house that would go inside a computer. I can see I need to move up the shelf in my computer desk to fit it in.Just talked daughter into taking my keyboard mouse and letting me use hers until the new one comes in. She has a nice combination but they have the wrong label on them. Will get by for now! :rolleyes: :)

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• teacher

• Bruno

• quint

• tranquilo

Top Posters In This Topic

She has a nice combination but they have the wrong label on them.
Now let me guess . . . . . . . . . . . . . :):rolleyes: Bruno

Two guesses and the first two don't count!The cooler on this is awesome. The vent goes straight to the rear fan. There is a definitely blue theme to the insides here. I have s fan mate to control speed and temp. Don't think I ordered that part! Soon will have floppy in and then be ready to add CD-RW and DVD drives. I like these rounded cables. They are so much more flexible and stay out of the way!

fan mate to control speed and temp
That came with the cooler, didn´t you see that on their site ?? A little black recangular box . . . . . you did pay for it :rolleyes: .Come on hurry up, we want to get that mandrake CD in . . . . ( just forget about Windows :) )Do you have the partition setup somewhere on paper ?:) Bruno

Don´t tell me it comes with screws . . I thought it was high-tech . . . . you can do the screws later, we first want to partition those disks in nice little parts and a good big backup section.Where is your partition table, sure you have that one on paper for weeks already . . :rolleyes: Bruno

They forgot to send me the tracks to hold the drives in place. Oh well, all is delicately put together right now. No I did not use the glue sticks to hold the drives in place. I used inserts out of my husband's running shoes! No they were not used.This is my first post from the new machine. I threw caution to the wind and deleted the Win98 that came on the computer. It only has Drake on it right now. I had to do a little to get it up and running. Had to work on the cooling. First boot said it was overheating. Found a loose connection for the CPU fan Pulled one of the two 512 MB Ram sticks so I could boot Drake. I forgot about that initially and it just would not let me boot.I have my keyboard and mouse running off PS2 plugs. I pulled a converter off daughter's machine until my new keyboard arrives. I might get the cover on the case in a few days. It sure is a nice machine, but this working gal is going to wait until tomorrow in order to finish things up. I want to be alert as I configure and install applications_______________________________The Happy Teacher :) :rolleyes: :) :)

Bravo, congratulations with your new machine !! . . . . Holded together with some glue and rubber bands . . . :rolleyes: :DThere you have your high-tech 160 GB 2.8 Ghz pentium computer and you need the inserts out of hubby´s running shoes to hold the drives in it´s place . . . . we need a picture of that !!!:) Bruno

They forgot to send me the tracks to hold the drives in place.  Oh well, all is delicately put together right now.  No I did not use the glue sticks to hold the drives in place.  I used inserts out of my husband's running shoes!  No they were not used.
Julia,Check the floor of the case. I think the drive rails are stored there, non?

Bravo, congratulations with your new machine !! . . . . Holded together with some glue and rubber bands . . . :) :DThere you have your high-tech 160 GB 2.8 Ghz pentium computer and you need the inserts out of hubby´s running shoes to hold the drives in it´s place . . . . we need a picture of that !!!:) Bruno
Remember, this is all in good fun... :) :nb990technology.jpg Minus:FLT-3160.jpgEquals:koolance_pc2-601_liquid_cooled_computer_case_5.jpgSuccess !! :rolleyes: Congratulations !!! Julia. :) Excellent job. :)

Thanks Peachy! I must have been working on it too late last night. I wondered what on earth would attach to the case at the bottom. It never dawned on me to try to remove them and take a look. I had even gone to their web site and looked at their case directions. Not a word about what those were! Everything is properly put together now and I have even put the cover on the case. Now I am looking at my partitions and trying to decide how I want to do it. I probably should go back and look at the newsletter again so I can see how my partitions were on my old hard drive. B) I tried putting Windows at the end of my second hard drive. We will see if that works after I get Mandrake installed correctly. B) It is fun to experiment. I forgot how fast a computer can boot.Back to work time. :)

I tried putting Windows at the end of my second hard drive.  We will see if that works after I get Mandrake installed correctly.  B)
Julia, I´m afraid that our ¨Fiends¨ of MS will want their C: partition at the beginning of HDD 1 . . :)Glad you solved your other problems . . . . :B) Bruno

sublime78ska

Somewhere in this thread was an unsatisfactory experience with gnucash.I've been using GnuCash 1.8.1 (because it is part of Mandrake 9.1 distro) for a few months now, when I migrated from Quicken Home & Business 2001 after using it since '01. I've had no trouble with GnuCash. The latest version is 1.8.4 but there isn't a Mandrake rpm available for it. When 9.2 comes out in a few months I'm hoping the latest GnuCash version will be included with it. Mandrake has a good history of keeping up.For the difference in price, GnuCash wins hands down :D They also have a very active and even helpful list - gnucash-user@lists.gnucash.orgPhil

PhilWelcome to the forum!Gee, you waded all the way through this thread? You must have a lot of persistence. :D I think we have narrowed down my problems with GNUcash to the antiquity of this computer. Right now I am sitting with my new computer going through some chores waiting for the replacement motherboard. After I get that I should have it up and running. The upgrade parts for this computer, unfortunately, are sitting in the new new computer while it waits for replacements. Now, having said all that, I am willing to give GNUcash a try again. Does it have capability of downloading updates from your bank?? That is one of the main things I am looking for. Otherwise, I might as well design a spreadsheet as a register to keep track of my checking (that is easy enough to do that I teach my students how to do that). I currently, however, am totally locked out of anything requiring any kind of graphics acceleration. It just shuts everything down and is not pretty!

sublime78ska

To answer the download question -- it depends. You'll have to research it. I don't like downloading transactions. For me dowloading makes reconciling harder rather than easier.

I guess that will have to be one of my future projects. I have not reconciled a statement by hand in years. I just automatically reconcile on a daily basis with the bank. I am pretty good about remembering to enter everything and I don't even carry a register with my checkbook anymore. Not that I hardly ever even use the checkbook! :)

It seems my 30 day trial for CrossOver is up. Didn't even notice until they emailed me to tell me so. Guess what I am not reinstalling on my computer? I would not want Bruno to quit speaking to me! :D B) B)