Slackware 11.0 Network Configuration

IFT Student

I am now replying from the Slack machine, so yes Firefox is now running properly. Thank you so much for the help you have offered. Haven't tried the update manager yet so I'll be posting those results soon. Thanks again for all the help :P

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bruno

• IFT Student

• striker

GREAT !!!!!!! . . Congrats !!! . . . Wooooow !Now you can start the Ubuntu system too . . . it will simply get a new IP lease from the router !:P BrunoPS: The real problem getting the problem solved was that I did not know the IP address, netmask and gateway you were supposed to use on your network.

Have a look here: Swaret ( For Slackware ):P BrunoNOTE: There is a line in the swaret.conf for the proxy . . ( remember ? ) . . but you can also set it to use rsync instead of wget . . . . and that might be a pointer to a solution too.Just try the default settings first ( without the proxy line ) . . and we will see from there.

Hi StudentEither put the downloaded package in your /home/IFT_student . . . OR "change directory" first:

$ cd Desktop

and then do the mv commandB) Bruno

Here is what we got after following your :hysterical: directions

root@localhost:/home/ift/Desktop# installpkg swaret-1.6.2-noarch-1.tgzCannot install swaret-1.6.2-noarch-1.tgz: package is not a regular file

Any suggestions?

Any suggestions?
Yep I have . . . delete that package and download it again using the Konqueror browser . . . . then rename it again and most likely the installpkg will work.:hysterical: BrunoPS: For some reason Firefox butchers packages it downloads.

No go :hysterical:

ift@localhost:~$ wget http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/swaret/swaret-1.6.2-noarch-1.tgz.tar--14:28:37--  http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/swaret/swaret-1.6.2-noarch-1.tgz.tar		   => `swaret-1.6.2-noarch-1.tgz.tar'Resolving prdownloads.sourceforge.net... 66.35.250.217Connecting to prdownloads.sourceforge.net|66.35.250.217|:80... failed: Network is unreachable.ift@localhost:~$

Sorry but class is over so we'll work on it tomorrow. Once again thanks for all your help ;)

Or try download option number 2 . . . "rsync":!!!! It needs the dot at the end of the command !!!!!

$ rsync -P -v prdownloads.sourceforge.net::sourceforge/s/sw/swaret/swaret-1.6.2-noarch-1.tgz.tar .

It puts the file in your /homeB) Bruno

OR: download option number 3 . . .try this one in Firefox . . . http://surfnet.dl.sourceforge.net/sourcefo....3-noarch-2.tgz . . . no need to rename it just "# installpkg swaret-1.6.3-noarch-2.tgz":hysterical: BrunoAfter this we tried 3 ways of downloading . . . I hope that at least the rsync works . . . if not we will have to set up a local update directory and configure Swaret to use that one for updating.

Ok Bruno,Don't think your online yet, one minor problem that isn't fixed today. Slackware browser is down again. No network response. I even reconfigured some network settings so that it would have its own static ip instead of the Ubuntu machine with no luck. :( Help please... :hmm:

Hilarious I know, but still disheartening :hmm: I am now messing around with rc.inet1.conf trying to stumble upon some luck here. Not sure if IP is already in use or what. I'm about to attempt DHCP again and see if I dig up any luck.

Hi StudentYep because the rest of the computers in your school use DHCP using a static IP address is kind of tricky . . . :'(We will have to see if we can use DHCP . . . so, . . . . in the /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1.conf change these lines like below:

# Config information for eth0:IPADDR[0]=""NETMASK[0]=""USE_DHCP[0]="yes"DHCP_HOSTNAME[0]=""
And a bit down the file:
# Default gateway IP address:GATEWAY="10.1.1.10"
Save the file and after that give the command:
#  /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1 restart

Basically this *should* do the trick . . . and if it does it will avoid future troubles.:hmm: Bruno

Ok,Quick dumb questionHow do you delete "space" "letters" "numbers", etc. in "vi" having problems and the simple delete button isnt working. Sorry I'm not very fluent in vi.

Better use "mcedit" on such critical files if you are unsure of using Vi . . . the F-keys to use are marked at the bottom of the window."# mcedit /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1.conf"Then F2 to save and F10 to close the windowB) Bruno

LOL . . . . you can delete charaters with the "delete" or "backspace" keys on your keyboard . . simply move the cursor with the arrow keys to the place where you want to delete the text.:hmm: Bruno

Nevermind on that last one Im a little :hmm: . It was just a simple keystroke of the delete key. And the DHCP configuration worked so thank you once again. Now back to swaret, do you want me to revert back about 5 posts and try the three download/install options?

Nevermind on that last one Im a little :hmm: . It was just a simple keystroke of the delete key. And the DHCP configuration worked
Goooood . . hurray !!!
Now back to swaret, do you want me to revert back about 5 posts and try the three download/install options?
Yep try the 3 ways to download that file . . and report which one works, specially interested in the rsyncB) Bruno

The results of the first option

root@localhost:/home/ift# wget http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/swaret/swaret-1.6.2-noarch-1.tgz.tar--13:15:47--  http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/swaret/swaret-1.6.2-noarch-1.tgz.tar		   => `swaret-1.6.2-noarch-1.tgz.tar'Resolving proxy.yoyodyne.com... failed: Name or service not known.root@localhost:/home/ift#

Now going to option 2 --- rsyncConfused about option 2

root@localhost:/home/ift# rsync -P -v prdownloads.sourceforge.net::sourceforge/s/sw/swaret/swaret-1.6.2-noarch-1.tgz.tar .

After i hit enter on the command attempt it goes to blank terminal line does this mean its downloading?And the results of option number 2 this is what happened after a few minutes

root@localhost:/home/ift# rsync -P -v prdownloads.sourceforge.net::sourceforge/s/sw/swaret/swaret-1.6.2-noarch-1.tgz.tar .rsync: failed to connect to prdownloads.sourceforge.net: Connection timed out (110)rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at clientserver.c(107) [receiver=2.6.8]

So no go with rsync im assumingNow trying option number 3

Ha, Option Numbre Tres (#3), Drei No luck there either this is what it returned.

root@localhost:~/Desktop# installpkg swaret-1.6.3-noarch-2.tgzCannot install swaret-1.6.3-noarch-2.tgz: package does not end in .tgzroot@localhost:~/Desktop#

B) B) :'( :'(