ububtu/kubuntu

longgone

Nice one !!!Now one more little tweak . . . . . .please boot Slackware ( using the PCLos lilo bootloader, not the floppy ) and post from slackware a fresh

# cat /etc/lilo.conf

:hysterical: Bruno

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• longgone

• Bruno

• rolanaj

• teacher

root@earthlink:/home/dale# cat /etc/lilo.conf# LILO configuration file# generated by 'liloconfig'## Start LILO global sectionlba32 # Allow booting past 1024th cylinder with a recent BIOSboot = /dev/hda8message = /boot/boot_message.txtprompttimeout = 1200# Override dangerous defaults that rewrite the partition table:change-rulesreset# VESA framebuffer console @ 1024x768x256vga = 773# Normal VGA console# vga = normal# VESA framebuffer console @ 1024x768x64k# vga=791# VESA framebuffer console @ 1024x768x32k# vga=790# VESA framebuffer console @ 1024x768x256# vga=773# VESA framebuffer console @ 800x600x64k# vga=788# VESA framebuffer console @ 800x600x32k# vga=787# VESA framebuffer console @ 800x600x256# vga=771# VESA framebuffer console @ 640x480x64k# vga=785# VESA framebuffer console @ 640x480x32k# vga=784# VESA framebuffer console @ 640x480x256# vga=769# End LILO global section# Linux bootable partition config beginsimage = /boot/vmlinuzroot = /dev/hda8label = Linuxread-only# Linux bootable partition config endsroot@earthlink:/home/dale#

Okay there is one tiny little change to make:

$ kdesu kwrite /etc/lilo.conf

Change the 1200 in a 0 ( zero ):

# LILO configuration file# generated by 'liloconfig'## Start LILO global sectionlba32 # Allow booting past 1024th cylinder with a recent BIOSboot = /dev/hda8message = /boot/boot_message.txtprompttimeout = 0# Override dangerous defaults that rewrite the partition table:change-rulesreset# VESA framebuffer console @ 1024x768x256vga = 773# Normal VGA console# vga = normal# VESA framebuffer console @ 1024x768x64k# vga=791# VESA framebuffer console @ 1024x768x32k# vga=790# VESA framebuffer console @ 1024x768x256# vga=773# VESA framebuffer console @ 800x600x64k# vga=788# VESA framebuffer console @ 800x600x32k# vga=787# VESA framebuffer console @ 800x600x256# vga=771# VESA framebuffer console @ 640x480x64k# vga=785# VESA framebuffer console @ 640x480x32k# vga=784# VESA framebuffer console @ 640x480x256# vga=769# End LILO global section# Linux bootable partition config beginsimage = /boot/vmlinuzroot = /dev/hda8label = Linuxread-only# Linux bootable partition config ends
Next, save the file and do
# /sbin/lilo -b /dev/hda8

After this you will not see the "second" lilo anymore when you are booting Slackware and choosing Slack from the PCLos bootloader will directly make Slackware boot :whistling::hysterical: Bruno

Password:root@earthlink:/home/dale# /sbin/lilo -b /dev/hda8Ignoring entry 'boot'Added Linux *root@earthlink:/home/dale#

Great . . . that was it for today !! :DNow what you can do is either install another distro on hda . . . OR download Swaret and do the Slackware updates.Here is the Swaret 1.6.2: http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/swaret/...gz.tar?downloadHere is the Swaret Tip: http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.ph...=503&st=241Have fun . . .see you tomorrow ;):hysterical: Bruno

:hysterical: ....I was going to ask about Swaret .. I tried to find out the current version last night with no luck at all ... ..... as far as other distros go .... MD2005LE is now out of date and 2007 is in the not to distant future ... SuSE10.2 is probably coming out the first half of next year .. so I will just wait ... will get the 3 that are solid all up to date .... nd ... I am currently d/l Debian 31r2 so I'll think on that one ....

Yep, Debian is nice and stable . . . .. . good chooice.Anyway, have fun updating your Slack. ( And put the Slakc bootfloppy and the PCLos rescue CD in a safe place . . . you might need them one day ):hysterical: Bruno

Okay ... tomorrow ... I need to get Swaret staightened out ... I d/l'd it tried to install it according to the destructions ... but it tells me that it does not end in .tgz ... which is true it nds in tgz.tar ... so I know I am not doing something correct ..

I just adapted the Tip about Swaret to the 1.6.2 version . . .have a look :hysterical:( you simply edit the name of the file and remove the .tar from it . . . do only the .tgz extention stays ):whistling: Bruno

root@earthlink:/home/dale# installpkg swaret-1.6.2-noarch-1.tgzCannot install swaret-1.6.2-noarch-1.tgz: package is not a regular fileroot@earthlink:/home/dale#

This is very strange Dale . . .. I downloaded the package yesterday evening and had a look inside to be sure it was okay . . . . . And just now, because of your post I moved it to my Slackware partition and did:

[root@jupiter bruno]# installpkg /home/bruno/Downloads/swaret-1.6.2-noarch-1.tgzInstalling package swaret-1.6.2-noarch-1.............PACKAGE DESCRIPTION:swaret: swaret (SlackWARE Tool)swaret:swaret: swaret Upgrades, Installs, Re-Installs, and Downloads Packages,swaret: Patches, Sources (with Build Scripts) and much more! Includesswaret: Dependency Support, which Tracks and Fixes missing Libraries for allswaret: packages. Uses several Slackware Linux Mirrors through http/ftp/rsyncswaret: or local filesystem, or 3rd-party Slackware Packages availible onswaret: LinuxPackages DOT NET or other Repository Sites. Also, support forswaret: Internationalization (i18n). See http://www.swaret.orgswaret: Written and maintained by Luc Cottyn and Michael G. Manry.swaret:Executing install script for swaret-1.6.2-noarch-1...YOU MUST EDIT /etc/swaret.conf.new! (man swaret.conf)Rename it to /etc/swaret.conf and start using swaret.
After that I tested it and all seems like usual . . . . . :) Bruno

?????Wellll.... I d/ld the one from the link you have in the Slackware tips and in my Home drtcry there is an icon that resembles a pkg inside a dog eared piece of paper and it is a tgz.tar ....I clicked on it and under extract it gave me 3 options,, one of which was extract a swaret tgz file ,,, I did that now I have a folder icon that says swaret-1.6.2-noarch-1.tgz on it ... then I went to consol and as root tried to folow the instructions you gave me a loooooong time ago ... installpkg ... etc ec but it tells me that that pkg ... is not a regular file ... so that is where I am hung up at now ....

Hi DaleIn the Tip that I edited yesterday ( to acomodate you with the 1.6.2 package ) it says:

Remove the .tar from the name after downloading so the file ends on .tgz
So . . in a nutshell: you should not unzip the package at all . . . . . just edit the name of the package and remove the ".tar" from the name.Next use the "# installpkg swaret-1.6.2-noarch-1.tgz" to install the package ;):) Bruno

QUOTERemove the .tar from the name after downloading so the file ends on .tgz
and therein lies the problem ... I do not know how to accomplish that ... it is in my home directory ... but the tip does me no good if I don't know how to do it or what I am doing ...

Okay . . I will make it easy:Delete the file you downloaded and the one you extracted.Then get this one: < LINK REMOVED :) > Put it in your /home/dale and do:

# installpkg  swaret-1.6.2-noarch-1.tgz

And follow the configure instructions for the "/etc/swaret.conf" here: http://brunolinux.com/03-Installing_Software/Swaret.html:hysterical: Bruno

Okay...so far so good ... except I can' get into /etc/swaret.conf to make the change to the NIC .... it was not this difficult when I originally installed 10.2 .. some minor differences the swaret was 1.7.0 test4-noarch-1.tgz ..... but it was a lot easier ... don't know why I am having such a problem