ububtu/kubuntu

longgone

Well ... just got my copies of Ubuntu and Kubuntu ..... trid Ubuntu first .. couldn't find a means of establishing a web connection .... today tried Kubuntu ... found the kppp dialer on this one .. configured it all up ... dialed the ISP ... and that is the end of it ... it dials, connects (I think) or at least tries to and then I get this error "the kpppdaemon died suddenly" an d "exit status 1" ... both were being used as "live" cd not ready yet for a main line install ..... one thing I really, really need on both is --- make it all bigger ----- I just got new vision enhancement devices but ,,, I almost have to sit on the monitor to read it ... oh an btw ... these are not gotta have it now type info ..... but just want to try them out T.I.A.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• longgone

• Bruno

• rolanaj

• teacher

Hi DaleIt looks to me you need a dial-up expert for this one.For the screen/typeface problem . . . try to change the resolution with Ctrl+"-":thumbsup: Bruno

:whistling: :whistling: :whistling: ....AAhhh haaa.... success with ubuntu anyway ... posting from it now... (as live cd) ... figured out a few things (progress) got the screen resolution to where I can read it .... that is fixed under the System tab at the top of the default screen ..system>preferences.fonts and/or resolution whichever you want first ... internet connection established under .. System>Administration.networking ... in my case select the modem, configure it and its good to go ... only drawback I see is there isn't any indication on the task bar indicating that you are connected to the web,, nor anywhere else for that matter .. BUT it is working .... hummmm.... :w00t: :hmm: :hmm: ... should I try a hard disk install ????? :hmm:

Great Dale . . . congrats !!!!Yep why not do a HD installl . . . . . but be sure to put the bootloader in the / partition where you are installing Ubuntu and not in the MBR ( that way you can simply add it to the Mandriva bootloader later ):whistling: Bruno

:whistling: :whistling: . . .Bruno, , ,I would do exactly that ... boot loader into the / partition .. and I do have several open partions , , either HDA7 or use a portion of HDA10 or I could put it on HDB10 or a portion of HDB11 .... :whistling: :w00t:

only drawback I see is there isn't any indication on the task bar indicating that you are connected to the web,, nor anywhere else for that matter ..
Right click task bar (panel), choose "Add to Panel"... it's there.
hummmm.... ... should I try a hard disk install ?????
Why of course you should! :whistling:

;) :D ............Wellll.... fudge .... (vanilla walnut) ... while I was at it tried to get Kubuntu to work too but it is not cooperating ... ' /etc/resolv.conf is empty . . contact your system adminstrator to have it installed " .... now back to Ubuntu ... it goes good up until step nr. 6 then .. it goes in a circle ... I tried both "manually partition" and install to HDA1 and manually select the partition ...neither one will let me install it .. I get the "no root file system error and then it starts over .... after 4 tries it's time to come back here for advice/instructions/pity ...

Hi DaleUsually in the partition tool you select the partition you want to install Ubuntu and press the "Edit" button . . there you assign the partition to "/" . . . . . and tell it to format the partition . . . . ;);) Bruno

;) :D :D . . .Darn the luck ... after 3 separate attempts to install Ubuntu ... I must quit .. 2 of the attempts resulted in this error "the installer crashed" and the 3rd just hung up at 82pct complete ... NOW the real bad part ... during this feat of futility it somehow hosed my main distro MD2005LE ... I can't boot into it at all .. when the Lilo screen comes up and it auto-boots into MD2005LE it goes for a little bit then it stops .. presss "ESC" and it tells me ... kernel panic error and tells me initrd not syncing ??? it also has several lines of errors attempting to mount the / file system ... so I am posting this from PCLos ... suggestions one thing I did find out about trying to install Ubuntu ... it is stubborn .. I could not for the life of me get it to install on the partion I wanted it on ... Edited by longgone

while I was at it tried to get Kubuntu to work too but it is not cooperating ... ' /etc/resolv.conf is empty . . contact your system adminstrator to have it installed "
Just copy the file from one of your distros that work. You can also just create an empty file and call it /etc/resolv.conf because it doesn't even need to have anything in it. I double checked mine in Mandriva to be sure. Edited by rolanaj

... during this feat of futility it somehow hosed my main distro MD2005LE ...
One thing you can do is put in your MD2005LE install CDs and do an "upgrade" install on the same partition as the old install. You will however lose the multiboot-loader and will have to add your other distros to Lilo again after the "upgrade" is done.:( Bruno

Bruno . . .One question here ... my MD2005LE install medium was from DVD ... is this going to cause a problem ... other than losing the multi-boot will there be other changes ... updates, etc ..???

Yep Dale . . you might have to redo a "few" updates . . . but your personal files will still be there.B) Bruno

B) :hysterical: :icon8: ...........This has not been good .. first off .. the attempted upgrade failed bad ... I had a bad feeling when the first question it asked was upgrade or install and the only two choices for upgrade were MD10.0 or PCLinuxOS ... no mention of MD2005LE ... MD10.0 is on HDB with same partioning as MD2005LE on HDA .... soooo .. I selected upgrade MD10.0 it got all the way into the install section and hung up ... let it alone for 8-10 mins .. then restarted .. pulled the DVD out and thankfully no changes (?????) yet ... put the DVD back in .. tried again .. now it hangs at the first "splash" .. clicked on "esc" and all I see for miles are errors ... ( B) :hysterical: ) ,, but ,,, one thing that is common to every one they are all i/o errors at HDC (DVD ROM) ,, my question is this ... could this possibly be from the eide cable being a bit loose ... I asj this since I just had the covers off to do cleaning on it and this is the first time I have used it since then ?????? BUT ... I also tried to boot Slack 10.2 and "unable to boot / file system" ..... TGIS .. ;)

Pull that cover back off again and tighten those cables. That would be the prime suspect in my book. smile.gif

I probably will just to be safe ... BUT .. I just put a Video DVD in it and watched 5 mins of video no problem (3 days of the Condor) ... have no idea if there are pecularities/differences in data DVD vs video DVD ... have not ever seen/read any reports/information on that subject ..

It may have been loose and just managed to vibrate its way off a bit. Usually the problems are with codecs and watching movies not reading data CDs.

:huh: :o . . .Wellll......... now to add more to the mix ...... BTW hdc is fine ...works video and data ... so much for that ... this is the B I G problem .... I booted all the distros to check if any of them had suffered from this ,,,, as mentioned Slack won't boot all the way now, it can't find the root file system ..... PCLos boots fine, Xandros boots fine .. after booting into Xandrox though, I now can not boot into any distro on hda ... it is as if the machine does not even see it ... so now there is no multi-boot boot loader from MD2005LE lilo .... but .... Xandros has it's own multi-boot boot loader .... it sees every distro on hdb only though nothing oh ha ..... so it sees the dysfunctional MD10.0, PCLOS and Xandros ... not to bad .... using PCLOS for the time being ,.... went into the PCLOS control center to check mount points for both hda and hdb, hdb appears to be all fine ,,, hda is another story it appears that the partitions for MD2005LE and XP are there, one partition that says unknown (could be Slack or Suse) and a partition that says empty ........ if all this mess can be straightened out .... I for sure will not attempt to put ubuntu back on this machijne ... it does not cooperate at ALL......

Hi DaleI guess we need to see if we can use the PClos bootloader for the multiboot. But first I want you to boot Xandros and post the

# cat /etc/lilo.conf

so we can make some changes there first.Also please make a list for me what distros is/was on what disk.And: why is Mandrake 10.0 disfunctional ? I thought you told us 2005LE is bad . . and SlackwareB) Bruno

Password:XANS87YUH33:/home/dale# cat /etc/lilo.confboot=/dev/hdainstall=/boot/cboot.bmessage=/boot/splash.lilotimeout=300map=/boot/mappromptlba32read-onlycompactfix-tableimage=/vmlinuz label=Xandros_Desktop_3.0_Deluxe vga=0xf04 root=/dev/hdb7 initrd=/boot/initrd-2.6.9-x1.gz append="quiet rw acpi=on "image=/vmlinuz label=Safe_Video_Mode vga=0xf04 root=/dev/hdb7 initrd=/boot/initrd-2.6.9-x1.gz append="quiet 3 rw acpi=on "image=/vmlinuz label=Configure_(Expert) vga=normal root=/dev/hdb7 initrd=/boot/initrd-2.6.9-x1.gz append="single quiet rw acpi=on noresume noresume2 "image=/disks/pclinuxos/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.11-oci12.mdk-i586-up-1GB label=pclinuxos_Linux_release_2005 vga=788 root=/dev/hdb8 initrd=/disks/pclinuxos/boot/initrd-2.6.11-oci12.mdk-i586-up-1GB.img append="devfs=nomount acpi=ht nomce splash=silent psmouse.proto=imps" read-onlyimage=/disks/mandrake/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.3-7mdk label=Mandrake_Linux_on_hdb1 vga=788 root=/dev/hdb1 initrd=/disks/mandrake/boot/initrd-2.6.3-7mdk.img append="acpi=ht splash=silent" read-onlyXANS87YUH33:/home/dale# and on hda hda1,6,7 = MD2005L3hda 3 = XPhda5 = swaphda8 = Slack 10.2hda9 = emptyhda10 = SuSE 9.1 Prohda11 = emptyhdbhdb1, 5, 6 =MD10.0hdb7 = Xandros 3.02hdb8 = PCLinuxOS 92hdb9 = emptyhdb10 = empty would have to go bak into MD10.0 to see why it is bad but if I recall correctly it has something to do with not being able to update it correct on the MD2005LE and Slack ,, they are on hda ... 10.0 is on hdb

Okay Dale . . we have a lot of work to do . . . First:

$ kdesu kwrite /etc/lilo.conf

An dchange the first line in the file you get:

XANS87YUH33:/home/dale# cat /etc/lilo.confboot=/dev/hdb7install=/boot/cboot.bmessage=/boot/splash.lilotimeout=300map=/boot/map
Next save the file and do:
 # /sbin/lilo -b /dev/hdb7

Next boot into PCLos and post from there . . . . . Additional question: I know that SUSE is messed up too . . . . am I wrong to assume that you can not boot XP either ?:huh: Bruno

this is what I get when I do the kwrite cmd

boot=/dev/hdainstall=/boot/cboot.bmessage=/boot/splash.lilotimeout=300map=/boot/mappromptlba32read-onlycompactfix-tableimage=/vmlinuz label=Xandros_Desktop_3.0_Deluxe vga=0xf04 root=/dev/hdb7 initrd=/boot/initrd-2.6.9-x1.gz append="quiet rw acpi=on "image=/vmlinuz label=Safe_Video_Mode vga=0xf04 root=/dev/hdb7 initrd=/boot/initrd-2.6.9-x1.gz append="quiet 3 rw acpi=on "image=/vmlinuz label=Configure_(Expert) vga=normal root=/dev/hdb7 initrd=/boot/initrd-2.6.9-x1.gz append="single quiet rw acpi=on noresume noresume2 "image=/disks/pclinuxos/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.11-oci12.mdk-i586-up-1GB label=pclinuxos_Linux_release_2005 vga=788 root=/dev/hdb8 initrd=/disks/pclinuxos/boot/initrd-2.6.11-oci12.mdk-i586-up-1GB.img append="devfs=nomount acpi=ht nomce splash=silent psmouse.proto=imps" read-onlyimage=/disks/mandrake/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.3-7mdk label=Mandrake_Linux_on_hdb1 vga=788 root=/dev/hdb1 initrd=/disks/mandrake/boot/initrd-2.6.3-7mdk.img append="acpi=ht splash=silent" read-only

dale@XANS87YUH33:~$ suPassword:XANS87YUH33:/home/dale# sbin/lilo -b /dev/hdb7bash: sbin/lilo: No such file or directoryXANS87YUH33:/home/dale#

XANS87YUH33:/home/dale# /sbin/lilo -b /dev/hdb7Ignoring entry 'boot'Warning: COMPACT may conflict with LBA32 on some systemsWarning: /dev/hdb7 is not on the first diskAdded Xandros_Desktop_3.0_Deluxe *Added Safe_Video_ModeAdded Configure_(Expert)Added pclinuxos_Linux_release_2005Added Mandrake_Linux_on_hdb1XANS87YUH33:/home/dale#
it's amazing what a missing / can do

Okay . . now you boot PCLos Open the /etc/lilo.conf:

$ kdesu kwrite /etc/lilo.conf

and add at the bottom of the /etc/lilo.conf:

other=/dev/hdb7 label="Xandros"other=/dev/hda3 label="Windows"
Next you save the file and after that you do
# /sbin/lilo -b /dev/hda

Finally you check if you can boot Windows We will do the rest tomorrow.:huh: Bruno

Password:[root@localhost dale]# /sbin/lilo -b /dev/hdaIgnoring entry 'boot'Added pclinuxos *Fatal: stat /dev/hda3: No such file or directory[root@localhost dale]#
obviously from that response ... booting into windows is not an option at this time ...