• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jthom203

• Bruno

• burninbush

• teacher

ya but i think it wrote it to the mbr of my hard drivewhat i did was i repartitioned the ipod this way. 1st was 1gb boot. then 2with 8gb, the rest freespace
Guess you'd like to get back the windows boot, without the ipod? First, must establish what OS is on the windows disk -- XP? win2k? win9x? If it's the last, w9x, then the fix is nothing more than booting with a w98 boot diskette, and at the A:> prompt you run fdisk /mbr. You can dl diskette images, or make one from within win98. www.bootdisk.com, for example. If it's XP or win2k, then get the bootdiskette files appropriate for those versions at bootdisk.com. Your best move is to find a friend with a win2k/XP install cd -- that it's not the original won't matter re getting into cmdcons mode, where you can run the fixmbr command. You'll also need to know an admin password for the machine. You don't need to know the keycode for the borrowed cd, use your own if it asks -- NT install cds are not unique. It's barely possible that Knopp saved a copy of the original mbr -- worth a look, in the partition where you installed it, in the /boot directory [or maybe /boot/grub???] Look for a 512-byte file with a date of yesterday -- and if any such exist, tell us the name it has.

okay i fixed it and here is how. Since i was able to boot XP using the ipod, i found a program in my start menu title HP PC Recovery Tool CD. And was able to create a CD to get into the recovery console and from there i executed the FIXMBR command. Because its only possible from the Recovery Console

I ran back through the knoppix installation Configuration and one of the options to install the boot to is root-partition. By doing this will i over write my hard drive if its set to install to sda?I think i might try to use Suse instead of knoopix.

Edited by jthom203

Hi jthomGlad you could fix the MBR of your XP drive !!Now before you experiment any further . . . . . please note:1). Writing the bootloader to the / partition of the distro you install will result in the fact that you can not boot the distro.2). D*** Small Linux has a special wizard to make booting from USB possible, only few distros have this.3). Only if you put the bootloader in the MBR of sda ( your ipod ) it will boot from the ipod if you set the bios of your computer to boot from the USB drive. ( You will have to change the BIOS back again if you want to boot your XP )4). Not all distros will boot from USB because it will have to load the USB drivers before it can boot the distro5). Only if you leave your ipod connected to the computer permanently you can install "normal distros" the "normal" way and put the multiboot bootloader in the MBR of the XP drive.:D Bruno

I will write a step by step howto for you jthom . . . have to do a few other things first . . . but then I will write it down and post it.:D Bruno

Hi jthomHere is the howto "saving downloaded dsl extensions"1).First we have to make a directory where you will save the extensions on your USB . . . so Either in windows enter the USB and make a directory called "optional" . . . OR do it the Linux way:Open the ATerminal ( or XTerminal ) and:

$ sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1$ sudo mkdir /mnt/sda1/optional$ sudo umount /mnt/sda1

2). Next get the extensions the "normal" way and save them first to "/ramdisk/home/dsl"3). Mount the sda1 partition:

$ sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1

4). Open Emelfm as root:

$ sudo emelfm

5). Once Emelfm is open you will see in the left panel "/ramdisk/home/dsl" ( where your extentions are temporary ) and in the right panel you have to change to "/mnt/sda1/optional"6). Copy over the files with .dsl extention from the left to the right side ( to "/mnt/sda1/optional" )7). Next time you boot you will find the extensions you saved in the Menu --> MyDSL :DIf you want to add even more new extensions . . repeat 2 to 6Now you can take your ipod to every computer you can find ( from Iceland to Antarctica ) that boots from USB and you will have your favorite OS + favorite programs booted in seconds.Have fun !!:D Bruno

Here is additionally another howto . . . . . . ( because I am sure this will be your next question :D )Howto "Saving Personal Files" ( doc, mp3, txt, etc.etc.etc. )Make a new directory in /ramdisk/home/dsl and for the example I will call it "john"

$ mkdir  /ramdisk/home/dsl/john

Now ALL the files you want to save for the next boot you are going to save/move to /ramdisk/home/dsl/john . . . . only there they will be available at next boot :DNOTE: It zips the files at shutdown, so if you have many files in /ramdisk/home/dsl/john the shutdown may take longer then usual.:icon8: BrunoPS: There is a "mount-app" in the right-bottom-corner of the screen where you can "mount" your hda1 ( XP partition ) . . . . you will be able to move files from the XP partition to DSL . . . . but you can not write to the XP partition as long as it is formatted NTFS ( writing to FAT partitions is possible though ! )*** The info from the 2 posts above will soon appear in Tips for Linux Explorers B)

okay i deleted all the partitions on the ipod and booted dsl from the live disk ran the USB-HDD and it said thisWriting zero's to beginning of /dev/sda Done.Partitioning /dev/sda/dev/sda:Formatting /dev/sda10+1 records in0+1 records outApplying syslinux to pendrive partition.Bad media types 00/f8, probably non-MSDOS diskCannot initialize 'S:'Bad target s:ldlinux.sysSetting up system image on /mnt/sda1...mkdir: Cannot create directory `/mnt/pend rive': File existscp: cannot create regular file `/mnt/pendrive/isolinux.bin': No space left on de vicecp: cannot create regular file `/mnt/pendrive/isolinux.cfg': No space left on de vicecp: cannot create regular file `/mnt/pendrive/linux24': No space left on devicecp: cannot create regular file `/mnt/pendrive/logo.16': No space left on devicecp: cannot create regular file `/mnt/pendrive/minirt24.gz': No space left on dev icecp: cannot stat `/mnt/pendrive/isolinux.cfg': No such file or directoryrm: cannot remove `/mnt/pendrive/isolinux*': No such file or directorycp: writing `/mnt/pendrive/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX': No space left on devicesed: /mnt/pendrive/syslinux.cfg: No such file or directory Done.USB installation has completedPress Enter key to continue.Why no space left on device? its 40gig.and then i tried to make the directory:dsl@box:~$ sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1dsl@box:~$ sudo mkdir /mnt/sda1/optionalmkdir: Cannot create directory `/mnt/sda1/optional': No space left on device

Edited by jthom203

What happened jthom ?? I was thinking you had already re-installed and all was working okay ??

Bad media types 00/f8, probably non-MSDOS disk
I would boot Windows and format the Ipod in FAT ( just one big partition ) . . and then try again. ( Or use the Ipod restore disk ):D Bruno

do i have to open to dos or can i do it from the command prompt when logged into xp?i will try the restore first.

Edited by jthom203

You can do it logged in to XP . . . and I might be wrong but I think there is a GUI way to partition the USB device too.Make sure you format it FAT ( MSDOS compatible ! ) because the quote says "Bad media types 00/f8, probably non-MSDOS disk"Even better use the Ipod recovery ( crosspost :D )B) Bruno

This is what it said after the Restoration and Redoing the USB HDD Writing zero's to beginning of /dev/sda Done. Partitioning /dev/sda /dev/sda: Formatting /dev/sda1 0+1 records in 0+1 records out Applying syslinux to pendrive partition. Bad media types 00/f8, probably non-MSDOS disk Cannot initialize 'S:' Bad target s:ldlinux.sys Setting up system image on /mnt/sda1...cp: cannot create regular file `/mnt/pend rive/isolinux.bin': No space left on device cp: cannot create regular file `/mnt/pendrive/isolinux.cfg': No space left on de vice cp: cannot create regular file `/mnt/pendrive/linux24': No space left on device cp: cannot create regular file `/mnt/pendrive/logo.16': No space left on device cp: cannot create regular file `/mnt/pendrive/minirt24.gz': No space left on dev ice cp: cannot stat `/mnt/pendrive/isolinux.cfg': No such file or directory rm: cannot remove `/mnt/pendrive/isolinux*': No such file or directory cp: writing `/mnt/pendrive/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX': No space left on device sed: /mnt/pendrive/syslinux.cfg: No such file or directory Done. USB installation has completed Press Enter key to continue.this is when i use the zip formatChanging geometry for USB-ZIP compatibility on /dev/sdaPartitioning /dev/sda/dev/sda:Formatting /dev/sda2Formatting /dev/sda1mkdosfs 2.9 (15 May 2003)Setting up boot loader on /mnt/sda1Setting up boot image on /mnt/sda1mkdir: Cannot create directory `/mnt/pendrive': File existsSetting up system image on /mnt/sda1... Done.USB installation has completedPress Enter key to continue.seems to boot fine minus some errors at the endthis is what the Fdisk looks likeDisk /dev/sda: 40.0 GB, 40000536576 bytes64 heads, 32 sectors/track, 38147 cylindersUnits = cylinders of 2048 * 512 = 1048576 bytes Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System/dev/sda1 * 1 50 51184 6 FAT16/dev/sda2 51 38147 39011328 b Win95 FAT32Disk /dev/hda: 40.0 GB, 40020664320 bytes240 heads, 63 sectors/track, 5169 cylindersUnits = cylinders of 15120 * 512 = 7741440 bytes Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System/dev/hda1 1 771 5828728+ b Win95 FAT32/dev/hda2 * 772 5168 33241320 7 HPFS/NTFSdsl@box:~$

Edited by jthom203

Well it looks like the USB-ZIP option did work okay . . . . . did you try to boot it ?? ;) Bruno
ya booted fine but said could not mount to sda2, and i did create the optional directory too. does it work for like unstalling a new firefox from the mozilla website? I did download it and put it in optional but when i click on it in my dsl it shuts down the xserver. And one more thing do i have to go through x setup every time to change resolution and usb mous options? Edited by jthom203

Installing the new Firefox is another thing all together . . . I would have a look in MyDSL has no newer version available.BUT . . . . from what I see the DSL is now installed on a small partition . . and if you want to install many additional programs you will run out of space. So my advice is: Boot the DSL LIVE CD . . . . .and use Fdisk to make ONE big "Win95 FAT32" partition of that Ipod.Here: http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.ph...14&t=503&st=244 is in brief how to use fdisk . . . you have to make a partition and "change a partition's system id " to Win95 FAT32 . . the id of Win95 FAT32 is bAfter that mission was successful you can first try the USB-HDD again to see if it works this time. ;) Bruno

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System/dev/sda1 1 38147 39062512 b Win95 FAT32Usb HDD did thisWriting zero's to beginning of /dev/sda Done.Partitioning /dev/sda/dev/sda:Formatting /dev/sda10+1 records in0+1 records outApplying syslinux to pendrive partition.Setting up system image on /mnt/sda1...cp: writing `/mnt/pendrive/isolinux.bin': No space left on devicecp: writing `/mnt/pendrive/isolinux.cfg': No space left on device Done.USB installation has completedPress Enter key to continue.the fdisk after Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System/dev/sda1 * 1 38147 39062512 6 FAT16

Edited by jthom203

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System/dev/sda1 * 1 50 51184 6 FAT16/dev/sda2 51 38147 39011328 b Win95 FAT32+++++++++++Note, you've got a 39gb /dev/sda2 partition there, most of your disk. That's where the missing space was back at the beginning of this adventure. Think this is a feature of the DSL install script -- it did a similar layout here when I put it onto a 256mb usbstick.

Hi jthom203When you get it booting again can you show us
$ df -h

;) Bruno

Booted off live cd dsl@box:~$ df -h Filesystem Size Used Available Use% Mounted on /dev/ram0 2.9M 596.0k 2.3M 20% / /dev/scd1 49.2M 49.2M 0 100% /cdrom /dev/cloop 117.4M 117.4M 0 100% /KNOPPIX /ramdisk 586.8M 2.0M 584.8M 0% /ramdisk

okaydsl@box:~$ df -h Filesystem Size Used Available Use% Mounted on /dev/ram0 2.9M 597.0k 2.3M 20% / /dev/sda1 49.9M 48.9M 1020.0k 98% /cdrom /dev/cloop 117.4M 117.4M 0 100% /KNOPPIX /ramdisk 585.8M 2.1M 583.7M 0% /ramdisk dsl@box:~$ I used the zip this time to boot this is fdisk -ldsl@box:~$ sudo fdisk -lDisk /dev/sda: 40.0 GB, 40000536576 bytes64 heads, 32 sectors/track, 38147 cylindersUnits = cylinders of 2048 * 512 = 1048576 bytes Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System/dev/sda1 * 1 50 51184 6 FAT16/dev/sda2 51 38147 39011328 b Win95 FAT32Disk /dev/hda: 40.0 GB, 40020664320 bytes240 heads, 63 sectors/track, 5169 cylindersUnits = cylinders of 15120 * 512 = 7741440 bytes Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System/dev/hda1 1 771 5828728+ b Win95 FAT32/dev/hda2 * 772 5168 33241320 7 HPFS/NTFSdsl@box:~$ sudo mount /dev/sda2 mount: you must specify the filesystem typedsl@box:~$ mount /dev/sdamount: can't find /dev/sda in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab

I don't get it . . . I had a look at my USB install . . . it is on a 64MB USB thumbdrive . . . but it only takes 53.6 MB and the rest of the space is free . . . so I can install 10 MB of extra programs or files.Yours is 98% filled . . . . so there really is no space left. We have to find another way to get it installed on a bigger partition . . . ;) Bruno

Because somehow it makes only a 49.9M partition for DSL . . . and that is far too small if you want to save files and extra software . . ;) Bruno

Wait a minute . . . the DSL partition is "FAT16" . . . that is id 6 in fdisk !Also: Is there a way in the installer where you can say to use a pre-partitioned chunk of the drive ?? And what if you made a partition of let us say 250 MB ( maybe 40 GB is too big and it is not used to such large thumb-drives );) Bruno

i don't think so DSL pendrive BIOS boot FAT USB_HDD install/update. It tells you this at the first1. Your BIOS must support USB-HDD booting.2. A single FAT partition will be made.3. Backup/Restore will be pre setup.4. Do not have your pendrive mounted.if i partition in FAT16 do you tink it will work?