Mandrake Updates and URPMI´s

teacher

59 *  * * *  root  rm -f /var/spool/cron/lastrun/cron.hourly14 0  * * *  root  rm -f /var/spool/cron/lastrun/cron.daily29 0  * * 6  root  rm -f /var/spool/cron/lastrun/cron.weekly44 0  1 * *  root  rm -f /var/spool/cron/lastrun/cron.monthly
Quint: Easy:Your hourly cron runs ever 0.59 minuteyour daily cron at 14 minutes after midnightyour weekly at 29 minutes after midnight at day 6your monthly at 44 minutes after midnight ever 1st of the monthJust stay up till 01.00 AM each day and you´ll be allright B) :DBetter check your other distro´s aswell !B) Bruno
Well, sometimes, the PC is shut off after that, so I guess all is OK. ;) Thanks for explaining - think I got it. ;)

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bruno

• teacher

• quint

• GolfProRM

Top Posters In This Topic

Bruno quote:
we could install a nice Slackware there
Was only a matter of time... ;)
QuintI knew you would not miss that one. BrunoDon't worry. I closed Diskdrake. Guess I will go close my console too. Just won't get to be too wild and crazy today.Slack? Isn't that the one that did not like my mouse?

ALL IS OK !!B) Bruno
What a relief. I suppose you would like for me to close DiskDrake before I hit the wrong key? Or did you want me to go play in it some?: ;) ;)
All is well my dear, all is well ! You can close diskdrake and sit back !Have a look at the moon . . . Menu --> Amusement --> Toys --> MoonPhase !! ( And look at the taskbar )B) Bruno

Any more interested in anacron ?? AbeL, mike180 ?? As long as you two are there . . ;) Bruno
Huh! Huh! Whaa did someone call me? No no teacher Penguin, I wasn't sleeping, just resting my eyes. ;) Actually, I was lurking and reading, but I figured if I'm going to get called on, I at least better be using Linux (as I'm now doing) instead of that other system. I also wanted to run the log file and disk usage commands. The results I got on the first are similar to those Julia showed - I haven't yet done the remove.For disk usage I get:dev/hdb6 4.8g 1.6g 3.0g 35% / hdb8 3.0g 48m 3.0g 2% /home hda1 38g 26g 13g 68% /mnt/win_c hdb1 28g 14g 15g 47% win_c2 hdb5 20g 1g 19g 5% win_dTo answer your question, Bruno, yes, I'd like to learn about anacron -- see, I wasn't sleeping!

59 *  * * *  root  rm -f /var/spool/cron/lastrun/cron.hourly14 0  * * *  root  rm -f /var/spool/cron/lastrun/cron.daily29 0  * * 6  root  rm -f /var/spool/cron/lastrun/cron.weekly44 0  1 * *  root  rm -f /var/spool/cron/lastrun/cron.monthly
Quint: Easy:Your hourly cron runs ever 0.59 minuteyour daily cron at 14 minutes after midnightyour weekly at 29 minutes after midnight at day 6your monthly at 44 minutes after midnight ever 1st of the monthJust stay up till 01.00 AM each day and you´ll be allright B) :DBetter check your other distro´s aswell !B) Bruno
Well, sometimes, the PC is shut off after that, so I guess all is OK. ;) Thanks for explaining - think I got it. ;)
Quint you have no .gz log files and they are many MB´s, That means logrotate does NOT do the job !B) Bruno

Mon cherIf you keep calling me endearments in class, everyone will think I am the teacher's pet. ;) Lovely moon tonight, isn't it?

Any more interested in anacron ?? AbeL, mike180 ?? As long as you two are there . . ;) Bruno
Huh! Huh! Whaa did someone call me? No no teacher Penguin, I wasn't sleeping, just resting my eyes. ;) Actually, I was lurking and reading, but I figured if I'm going to get called on, I at least better be using Linux (as I'm now doing) instead of that other system. I also wanted to run the log file and disk usage commands. The results I got on the first are similar to those Julia showed - I haven't yet done the remove.For disk usage I get:dev/hdb6 4.8g 1.6g 3.0g 35% / hdb8 3.0g 48m 3.0g 2% /home hda1 38g 26g 13g 68% /mnt/win_c hdb1 28g 14g 15g 47% win_c2 hdb5 20g 1g 19g 5% win_dTo answer your question, Bruno, yes, I'd like to learn about anacron -- see, I wasn't sleeping!
See Abe, you got caught there, didn ´t you ??The stuff about Anacron:
CRON and ANACRONIf you run Mandrake ( RedHat has anacron installed as default ) and your computer is not ON 24 hrs a day, there are several “cron-jobs†( maintenance ) that might be forgotten because they are planned for 3 – 4 o'clock at night.Installing “anacron†will set this straight, anacron picks up forgotten cron-jobs and executes them 5 minutes after you boot your computer. ( You will notice extra activity of your CPU and harddisk for about 5 to 7 minutes ! )Typical cron-jobs are “updatedb†updating the 'locate' database and various other databases. “Logrotate†that zips up old logfiles, /var/log/syslog and /var/log/messages might grow so big that in extreme cases you could run out of diskspace : resulting in having to reinstall the OS !Installing anacron is simple and needs no configuring.Mandrake Control Center --> Software Management --> Installing Software --> search for anacron.
If you need more info or help just tell me !B) Bruno

Huh! Huh! Whaa did someone call me? No no teacher Penguin, I wasn't sleeping, just resting my eyes. ;) ....To answer your question, Bruno, yes, I'd like to learn about anacron  --  see, I wasn't sleeping!
Only one hour and 4 minutes to respond. No he was not sleeping. He was being polite and waiting his turn. ;) Glad you could join the party.

Mon cherIf you keep calling me endearments in class, everyone will think I am the teacher's pet.  ;)  Lovely moon tonight, isn't it?
It´s getting busy in this classroom . . . have to watch my words , , , we do not want ewverybody to know !;) Bruno

Ahh shucks!! ;) I was hoping it wouldn't show.I'm going to have to print out this thread and sort out the intertwining dialogs. Then I'll know if I need help, also going to see about wrapping myself around a steak.A bientot.

Sorry,Just got back from ftp install.(didn't work)anancron is set and mine is usually on 24/7.very late answer reading to catch upmike180

Quint, my friend did you see this :

Quint you have no .gz log files and they are many MB´s, That means logrotate does NOT do the job !
Mike: You´re O.K. then !! Thanks for checking in !;) Bruno

sort out the intertwining dialogs. Then I'll know if I need help, also going to see about wrapping myself around a steak.A bientot.
Intertwining dialogs?Do you mean multi-tasking, multi-threading? Come on. Let's make it sound geekish!Bon Appetit!

Quint you have no .gz log files and they are many MB´s, That means logrotate does NOT do the job !
Mike: You´re O.K. then !! Thanks for checking in !B) Bruno
Thanks, Bruno...was reading up on anacron, also found it is not offered by the YaST update; they only had "VCron". ;) All these crons - and not the right one! B) Is vcron a viable substitute? ;)

Bruno, here's another output:linux:/home/quint # cd /etc/cron.dailylinux:/etc/cron.daily # ls. logrotate suse.de-clean-tmp.. suse.de-backup-rc.config suse.de-clean-viclean_catman suse.de-backup-rpmdb suse.de-cron-localdo_mandb suse.de-check-battery tetexWhat is "tetex"? ;)

No QuintVcron is just a visual way to set new cron jobs, like Kcron . . . . . Doesn´t work SuSE with rpm´s ? Get anacron: Here... and take the top one ( for madeinLinux . . anacron-2.3-9mlx.i386.rpm ) download it and just install it by doubleclicking.;) Bruno

Julia quote:

QuintI knew you would not miss that one.
I scrolled right to it, without even realizing! ;) Do believe you are considering it, are you not? ;)

Quint - Don't tell. I know I will add something else at a later date. I guess I did not let our professor know I had a partition set aside. He is probably dreaming up somethng for me to download after we get your cron problems taken care of. Just leave the computer on all the time! Hubby blames the hot tub for all our electrical use. He has not figured out that 3 computers on all the time burns a little too (as well as heating the room up some).___________________________The Student Tonight

No QuintVcron is just a visual way to set new cron jobs, like Kcron . . . . . Doesn´t work SuSE with rpm´s ? Get anacron: Here... and take the top one ( for madeinLinux . .  anacron-2.3-9mlx.i386.rpm download it and just install it by doubleclicking.B) Bruno
Thank you once again, got it, will go install. ;) Not much size to it, but sometimes great programs come in small packages. ;) Thanks,

I know I will add something else at a later date.  I guess I did not let our professor know I had a partition set aside.  He is probably dreaming up somethng for me to download after we get your cron problems taken care of.  Just leave the computer on all the time!    Hubby blames the hot tub for all our electrical use.  He has not figured out that 3 computers on all the time burns a little  too (as well as heating the room up some).___________________________The Student Tonight
;) B) ;) "The Shrewd Teacher Penguin". B)

Thank you once again, got it, will go install. ;) Not much size to it, but sometimes great programs come in small packages. ;) Thanks,
Hope this will solve your problems, keep an eye on your logfiles though ! There you can see if your logrotate works O.K.!! Anacron makes that your computer shows heavy activity 3 - 5 minutes after you boot up in the morning ( afternoon ) The activity is for about 5 minutes, so nothing to be worried about - no hacker´s activity, nor Bruno trying to get in to your computer - all normal maintenance jobs !!B) Bruno

!! Anacron makes that your computer shows heavy activity 3 - 5 minutes after you boot up in the morning ( afternoon ).  The activity is for about 5 minutes, so nothing to be worried about - no hacker's activity, nor Bruno trying to get into your computer - all normal maintenance jobs !!B) Bruno
Does he really expect us to believe he does not have a back door into our computers? He just knows too much. Did you hear him accuse me of having DiskDrake open earlier and ignoring the "save your data warning?" How else could he have known? ;) ;)

!! Anacron makes that your computer shows heavy activity 3 - 5 minutes after you boot up in the morning ( afternoon ).  The activity is for about 5 minutes, so nothing to be worried about - no hacker's activity, nor Bruno trying to get into your computer - all normal maintenance jobs !!B) Bruno
Does he really expect us to believe he does not have a back door into our computers? He just knows too much. Did you hear him accuse me of having DiskDrake open earlier and ignoring the "save your data warning?" How else could he have known? ;) B)
;) Your right, Julia...that's probably how my mouse automatically scrolled to the Slack reference! B) You are liable to turn your computer on tomorrow and be greeted with a nice yellow flower on a blue background, asking for your user name / password to......Slackware 9.0 - YEH! B) B)

Yep QuintNo More worries . . . . . just check your log-files in a few days . . . and see if it did help !!;) Bruno