Conexant PCI ADSL modem

hodgy

Yes Hodgy I do see !

[root@localhost ken]# insmod -fCnxADSL\
There has to be a space between ¨-f¨ and ¨CnxADSL¨ The rest looks good ! Perhaps use a space between ¨CnxADSL¨ and ¨\¨.
[root@localhost ken]# Ismod \ grep CnxADSL
You use the ¨\¨ but should use the ¨|¨ ( the vertical LINE on the same button as ¨\¨ on your keyboard but then with Shift ! )Try again and report back to me.:blink: bruno

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bruno

• hodgy

• georgeg4

• GolfProRM

Shoot Bruno... you beat me to it! Although yours is easier to read than mine..One more thing... the command

[root@localhost ken]# Ismod \ grep CnxADSL
should be LSMOD (all lowercase though)... tough to read a lowercase "L"... that's what it should be... and don't forge the vertical bar as Bruno mentioned :blink:

Thanks Ryan, you can never be clear enough !Hodgy: I added this to the post above:

Perhaps use a space between ¨CnxADSL¨ and ¨\¨.
:blink: Bruno

Hi Bruno & GolfproRMIwas just coming back to report failure and i saw your post GolfproRM that is wherei fell again so back and use i instead of L or 1 Hodgy

hodgy... use lowercase L!!! Not I, i, 1, or L, but Lowercase L :)the command is lsmod (LSMOD lowercase) :blink:

Hodgy,Rule 1:ALL commands are ALWAYS in lowercase ! ( the arguments can be both ):blink: BrunoPS: Don´t forget to be root ! ( su )

Hi bruno I have done it wrong again will try later or tomorrow morning got to sign off for a couple of hoursThanks Hodgy

First: su ( password )Then: cd /lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/kernel/drivers/net/ will put that line in your prompt.Then: insmod -f CnxADSL \ CnxtDslVendorId=0x14F1 \CnxtDslArmDeviceId=0x1610 \CnxtDslAdslDeviceId=0x1611 \CnxtDslPhysicalDriverType=1 Put a space before each ¨\¨, last line NO ¨\¨ just hit enter. ( INSMOD in lowercase ) ( it says VendorId, with a capital i for the id )Then you will get the kernel messages ( note down )Then:lsmod | grep CnxADSL Will show text, note it down. ( LSMOD in lowercase ) Then: rmmod CnxADSL removes the module to be activated at boot by a script later. ( RMMOD in lowercase :blink: )Thats all !:D Bruno

Hi BrunoBig letters are good B) especially when you get to my age B) Is this any better? No error messages I think, ken@localhost ken]$ suPassword:[root@localhost ken]# cd /lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/kernel/drivers/net/[root@localhost net]# insmod -f CnxADSL \> CnxtDslVendorId=0x14F1 \> CnxtDslArmDeviceId=0x1610 \> CnxtDslAdslDeviceId=0x1611 \> CnxtDslPhysicalDriverType=1Using /lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/kernel/drivers/net/CnxADSL.oWarning: The module you are trying to load (/lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/kernel/drivers/net/CnxADSL.o) is compiled with a gccversion 2 compiler, while the kernel you are running is compiled witha gcc version 3 compiler. This is known to not work.Warning: kernel-module version mismatch /lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/kernel/drivers/net/CnxADSL.o was compiled for kernel version 2.4.19-16mdk while this kernel is version 2.4.21-0.13mdkWarning: loading /lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/kernel/drivers/net/CnxADSL.o will taint the kernel: no license See http://www.tux.org/lkml/#export-tainted for information about tainted modulesWarning: loading /lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/kernel/drivers/net/CnxADSL.o will taint the kernel: forced loadModule CnxADSL loaded, with warnings[root@localhost net]# lsmod| grep CnxADSLCnxADSL 640224 0 (unused)[root@localhost net]# rmmod CnxADSL[root@localhost net]#Thanks for being patient with me i am just not used to looking at the text with the correct perspectivehopefully i will get better B) Hodgy

Bravo Hodgy !Well the messages are there, we were told about the kernel business, looks to me that we´re on the right track !I will post the next part in a minute !B) Bruno

HodgyO.K. we´ll go a little easy on the brains now. . . . . :DWe will first install a few things, go to the Mandrake Control Center --> Software Management --> install software packagesType in the search field:ppp ( and hit the button )you will get 5 packages, we only need the last 4:ppp-2.4.1-9mdkpppoe-linuxconf-1.2_1.25-2mdkrp-pppoe-3.5-2mdkrp-pppoe-gui-3.5-2mdkInstall those ( you need your CD´s ) and report back to me. ( tomorrow B) )B) Bruno

Hi BrunoWent to mcc the search only listed 3 items 2 on your listpppoe-linuxconf-1.2_1.25-2mdkrp-pppoe-gui-3.5-2mdki installed these, and 1 not on your listkdenetwork-kppp-3.1-31mdkDoes that mean the other 2 are allready installed? can i check this?Thanks and goodnight Hodgy

HodgyHave a look ( clicking ) in your /etc drectory if there is a direcotry called ppp.In a console:ppp --version ( will tell us the vesion of ppp installed )Post me the results please, the version number does interest me.The kdenetwork-kppp-3.1-31mdk can be uninstalled in the Mandrake Control Center, we don´t need that one. B)B) Bruno

Hi BrunoI do have a directory ppp. but when i open a console and type ppp---version at the root@localhost promptit returns directory not found, so i am not doing something right .I do no know if this the correct info, but i "explored" the mdk disk 1 windows and it lists ppp as 2.4.1-9mdk i586 is this the ver. no?Hodgy

Hi Hodgy !Fresh for the next step ? :(

ppp---version
this should be ppp --version ( a space between ppp and -- )
ppp as 2.4.1-9mdk i586 is this the ver. no
That´s fully correct my friend ! :)I´m writing the instructions for you now.:( Bruno

Hodgy,Do you see this part in the How-to ?Modify The Startup Script.The script supplied with the Conxant drivers is for some kind of ATM bridging mode. I dont think this is useful for PPPoATM but I could be completely wrong on this. All I know is my connection works :( Here is my alternative cnxadslctl startup script.Get that script, do not open it in a windows environnement, but copy it as it is to your /home/ken/ADSL directory.Then:su ( password )cp /home/ken/ADSL/cnxadslctl.gz /etc/rc.d/init.d ( spaces: cp and /home, gz and /etc )cd /etc/rc.d/init.d ( spaces: cd and /etc )gunzip cnxadslctl.gz ( spaces: gunzip and cnxadslctl.gz )chmod 755 cnxadslctl ( spaces: chmod and 755, 755 and cnxadslctl )If all that is successful report back to me.:( Bruno

BrunoYes got it and i think i did it right first time this time - fingers crossedDoes this look ok[ken@localhost ken]$ suPassword:[root@localhost ken]# cp /home/ken/adsl/cnxadslctl.gz /etc/rc.d/init.d[root@localhost ken]# cd /etc/rc.d/init.d[root@localhost init.d]# gunzip cnxadslctl.gz[root@localhost init.d]# chmod 755 cnxadslctl[root@localhost init.d]#Hodgy

Perfect Hodgy, you´re a star !Now that you have the grips, lets move on.I´m sending you another script, put it in your /home/ken/ADSL and I will prepare the Howto.B) Bruno

Hodgy, here we go:First click-right on the file and unzip it, then dubbleclick on the new file,it will open in Kwrite, change the last line to your login/email address and leave the ¨â€Â¨ ¨â€Â¨ where they are.The save the file.Open a console and:sucp /home/ken/ADSL/pci /etc/ppp/peers/ ( space between cp and /home, pci and /etc )And report back to me.B) Bruno

Bruno[ken@localhost ken]$ suPassword:[root@localhost ken]# cp /home/ken/adsl/pci /etc/ppp/peers/[root@localhost ken]#ok? also when in the console is there a closing instruction or click the top right xHodgy

HodgyTo log out as root first do Ctrl+dTo close the console do Ctrl+dYou´re getting up steam Hodgy, doing just great !Next part will be up in a few minutes, stay on the page and refresh in a minute or two, I´m just finishing writing it.B) Bruno

You can also type "exit" (no quotes) then hit Enter to exit the console... If you're in su mode, you'll have to exit twice (once for su, and once to close the window)... Basically the same function as Ctrl+d B)

This is what the Howto says Hodgy:

Then edit the files /etc/ppp/pap-secrets and /etc/ppp/chap-secrets and add your username and password with the following format 'userid@isp.co.uk' * 'myPassword' *
Here is the translation:Now it gets very serious again Hodgy ! Do this ultra precise !! Do not forget ANY step. Read it twice before starting this.su ( password )vi /etc/ppp/pap-secrets ( space between vi and /etc )i ( just an i to put the editor in insert mode )'userid@isp.co.uk' * 'myPassword' * exactly like that with the * and the ´ but then with your login and password !Hit the Esc key and 2 times the Z ( z+shift )That should save the file.Now we do the same for the other file:vi /etc/ppp/chap-secrets ( space between vi and /etc )i ( just an i to put the editor in insert mode )'userid@isp.co.uk' * 'myPassword' * exactly like that with the * and the ´ but then with your login and password !Hit the Esc key and 2 times the Z ( z+shift )And report back to me.Good luck Hodgy, take a glass nice cold soda before doing this, and relax a bit.B) Bruno