PCLos GNOME sound problems

gauchoperezoso

If you completely remove Windows it should take care of that Windows Fidelity bug. That sure sounds like a terrible bug. Good luck removing it. Mine happens to have the Windows Aversion bug. I think I will keep that one. :thumbsup:

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gauchoperezoso

• Bruno

• teacher

• ross549

gauchoperezoso
:) :D this is regarding windows aversion bug now for the installation : :thumbsup: :lol: nothing works,only windows does :D i really have no idea what is going on.here is the story.i popped in the cd no 1 and it started installing.at the partition table i chose use windows partition but then i couldnt erase it completely.the minimal size for windows was 3GB :( then it carried on installation process.but when i got asked for inserting CD 2 it didnt work.nor did CD3 work.maybe because i chose 4CD installation .the forth cd was KDE 3.3.i thought it was on the 3 cds i downloaded :D .then it asked for boot loader and maybe i should have omitted it but i clicked on mbr(?) boot loader.then it finished installation.now when i turn the computer on i can choose between linux ,linux nxfr(or something like that),failsafe (i think that was the name :) ) and win c.choosing the first 3 results in the system freeze.it reaches a certain point aftrer it detected usb and some other things and then it stops.the only thing i can do then is turn off the computer.to make things funny windows starts with no problems at all only it has 3GB HD space,not 18 like it had before. this is what i get from the command line when checking the contents of theCDs:[gaucho@chello084010044003 guest]$ ls -la /mnt/cdromtotal 711940dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 2048 Jan 13 02:26 ./drwxrwxr-x 7 root root 168 Jan 12 01:56 ../-r--r--r-- 1 root root 729024512 Jan 27 06:37 Mandrakelinux-10.1-Official-Download-CD3.i586.iso[gaucho@chello084010044003 guest]$ ls -la /mnt/cdromtotal 711662dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 2048 Jan 13 02:26 ./drwxrwxr-x 7 root root 168 Jan 12 01:56 ../-r--r--r-- 1 root root 728739840 Jan 27 06:36 Mandrakelinux-10.1-Official-Download-CD2.i586.iso[gaucho@chello084010044003 guest]$ ls -la /mnt/cdromtotal 206dr-xr-xr-x 10 root root 4096 Oct 25 07:32 ./drwxrwxr-x 7 root root 168 Jan 12 01:56 ../-r--r--r-- 33 root root 65 Feb 10 2004 autorun.inf-r--r--r-- 37 root root 18385 Sep 19 2003 COPYINGdr-xr-xr-x 3 root root 2048 Oct 25 07:32 doc/dr-xr-xr-x 3 root root 2048 Oct 25 07:32 dosutils/-r--r--r-- 14 root root 9879 Aug 31 12:18 index.htmdr-xr-xr-x 5 root root 2048 Oct 25 07:32 install/-r--r--r-- 8 root root 7081 Oct 4 08:05 INSTALL.txtdr-xr-xr-x 5 root root 2048 Oct 25 07:32 isolinux/dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 2048 Oct 25 07:32 lang/-r--r--r-- 27 root root 4780 Mar 25 2004 LICENSE.txtdr-xr-xr-x 4 root root 2048 Oct 25 07:32 media/dr-xr-xr-x 6 root root 4096 Oct 25 07:32 misc/-r--r--r-- 1 root root 120252 Oct 25 07:35 pkg-10.1-download-i586.idx-r--r--r-- 8 root root 3468 Oct 4 08:04 README.txt-r--r--r-- 8 root root 9345 Oct 8 07:04 release-notes.txtdr-xr-xr-x 93 root root 14336 Oct 25 07:39 .rr_moved/-r--r--r-- 1 root root 48 Oct 25 07:35 VERSION[gaucho@chello084010044003 guest]$ help me out PLEASE :)

gauchoperezoso

i forgot to tell you something but it should be of no importance whatsoever, i burnt the first CD from the command line whereas for the two other ones i used k3b

I just posted an update for k3b in PClos . . . maybe there was a problem with it ?? . . But anyway burning on the comandline is just so much better anyway :DI am getting very curious how your partition table is going to look like :PI don't know if it is to late already, but there is a good Mandrake install how-to here: Mandrake 10.1 Official Install ;)Pay most attention at screen 15 !! The "summary page" . . you can fix things there that you will have lots of trouble fixing later !!!:thumbsup: Bruno

gauchoperezoso

it is too late Bruno :) .the most important thing is that i have mandrake up and running :thumbsup: .now ill tell you the details.i chose 3cd installation and it worked (but first i erased cd 2 and 3 and burned once more but from the command line,but to be honest i think it was a matter of choosing 3cd installation instead of 4cd instal) .the partition table is as follows:swap - roughly 500MB hda 1pclos- 18GB hda 5windows- 3 GB hda 6 mandrake - 15GB hda 7windows - 8Mb hda 3i cant boot pclos though.like i said in the menu i only have linux , linux nonfr (or something like that) failsafe and win c . i have to use boot cd for pclos to start it.when i choose linux or the next two options mandrake starts.the problem is that it takes sooo much time.thats why i thought it freezes cuz when it starts net profile it stops and i have to wait like 5 min (no kidding) before it proceeds.it is strange though cuz i dont have to configure net connection as it works ok ,so does the sound :lol: :D :D so the most important thing is make pclos bootable and maybe speed up mandrake reboot :)

Now, okay, let me think . . . . . . . what if we add Mandrake to the PCLos lilo ?? . . . then try to fix the bootissue of Drake . . . and then we can see what Lilo we will keep using for future adventures . . ???What do you think ??:thumbsup: Bruno

gauchoperezoso

that is what i was thinking Bruno.i would like to use lilo only right now it is mbr that opens when i turn computer on.maybe i shouldnt have installed it but i was afraid that then i could boot anything at all :lol: ps it is quite similar to pclos.i can play movies already :thumbsup:

oh sorry.how stupid of me.it was good for pclos only not for mandrake
Right !! . . we need to make one for Mandrake now !:thumbsup: Bruno

gauchoperezoso

[gaucho@chello084010044003 gaucho]$ uname -r2.6.8.1-12mdk[gaucho@chello084010044003 gaucho]$ suPassword:[root@chello084010044003 gaucho]# cat /etc/lilo.conf# File generated by DrakX/drakboot# WARNING: do not forget to run lilo after modifying this filedefault="linux"boot=/dev/hdamap=/boot/mapkeytable=/boot/us-latin1.kltpromptnowarntimeout=100message=/boot/messagemenu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bwimage=/boot/vmlinuz label="linux" root=/dev/hda7 initrd=/boot/initrd.img append="acpi=on resume=/dev/hda1 splash=silent" vga=788 read-onlyimage=/boot/vmlinuz label="linux-nonfb" root=/dev/hda7 initrd=/boot/initrd.img append="acpi=on resume=/dev/hda1" read-onlyimage=/boot/vmlinuz label="failsafe" root=/dev/hda7 initrd=/boot/initrd.img append="failsafe acpi=on resume=/dev/hda1" read-onlyother=/dev/hda3 label="windows" table=/dev/hda[root@chello084010044003 gaucho]#

Hi GachoHere is the command to make the rescue.iso . . . . you do know how to burn it after that don't you ? :thumbsup:

# mkrescue --iso --initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.8.1-12mdk.img --kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.8.1-12mdk

Also please post me:

# chkconfig --list

And I will have a look what services we can stop from booting :DB) Bruno

gauchoperezoso

i think it didnt work for some reason :lol: ill have to change the language to english :thumbsup: [root@chello084010044003 gaucho]# mkrescue --iso --initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.8.1-12mdk.img --kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.8.1-12mdk2880+0 registros leídos2880+0 registros escritosMaking filesystemmke2fs 1.35 (28-Feb-2004)/tmp/mkrescue-emu no es un dispositivo especial de bloques.¿Se continúa de todas formas? (s,n) Mounting filesystemmount: tipo de sistema de ficheros incorrecto, opción incorrecta, superbloque incorrecto en /dev/loop0, o número de sistemas de ficheros montados excesivo (could this be the IDE device where you in fact use ide-scsi so that sr0 or sda or so is needed?)«/boot/diag1.img» -> «/tmp/mkrescue-flp/diag1.img»«/boot/diag2.img» -> «/tmp/mkrescue-flp/diag2.img»Copying files...«/boot/us-latin1.klt» -> «/tmp/mkrescue-flp/lang.ktl»«/boot/initrd-2.6.8.1-12mdk.img» -> «/tmp/mkrescue-flp/initrd»«/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.8.1-12mdk» -> «/tmp/mkrescue-flp/linux»done.Running /sbin/lilo ...Ignoring entry 'boot'Fatal: '/dev/' is not a whole disk devicelilo failure.umount: /tmp/mkrescue-flp: no montado

[root@chello084010044003 gaucho]# chkconfig --listalsa            0:desactivado 1:desactivado 2:activo        3:activo    4:activo 5:activo        6:desactivadosound        0:desactivado 1:desactivado 2:activo        3:activo    4:activo 5:activo        6:desactivadodm              0:desactivado 1:desactivado 2:desactivado 3:desactivado  4:desactivado    5:activo        6:desactivadokheader      0:desactivado 1:desactivado 2:activo        3:activo    4:desactivado    5:activo        6:desactivadonetfs        0:desactivado 1:desactivado 2:desactivado 3:activo    4:activo 5:activo        6:desactivadonetwork      0:desactivado 1:desactivado 2:activo        3:activo    4:activo 5:activo        6:desactivadopartmon      0:desactivado 1:desactivado 2:desactivado 3:activo    4:activo 5:activo        6:desactivadorawdevices      0:desactivado 1:desactivado 2:desactivado 3:activo    4:activo 5:activo        6:desactivadonetplugd        0:desactivado 1:desactivado 2:desactivado 3:desactivado  4:desactivado    5:desactivado 6:desactivadosyslog          0:desactivado 1:desactivado 2:activo        3:activo    4:activo 5:activo        6:desactivadokeytable        0:desactivado 1:desactivado 2:activo        3:activo    4:activo 5:activo        6:desactivadocrond        0:desactivado 1:desactivado 2:activo        3:activo    4:activo 5:activo        6:desactivadoxinetd          0:desactivado 1:desactivado 2:desactivado 3:activo    4:activo 5:activo        6:desactivadoportmap      0:desactivado 1:desactivado 2:desactivado 3:activo    4:activo 5:activo        6:desactivadoxfs          0:desactivado 1:desactivado 2:activo        3:activo    4:activo 5:activo        6:desactivadohotplug      0:desactivado 1:desactivado 2:desactivado 3:desactivado  4:desactivado    5:desactivado 6:desactivadomessagebus      0:desactivado 1:desactivado 2:desactivado 3:activo    4:activo 5:activo        6:desactivadocpufreq      0:desactivado 1:desactivado 2:activo        3:activo    4:activo 5:activo        6:desactivadoiptables        0:desactivado 1:desactivado 2:activo        3:activo    4:activo 5:activo        6:desactivadoatd          0:desactivado 1:desactivado 2:desactivado 3:activo    4:activo 5:activo        6:desactivadooki4daemon      0:desactivado 1:desactivado 2:desactivado 3:desactivado  4:desactivado    5:desactivado 6:desactivadoapmd            0:desactivado 1:desactivado 2:activo        3:activo    4:activo 5:activo        6:desactivadobluetooth    0:desactivado 1:desactivado 2:activo        3:activo    4:activo 5:activo        6:desactivadodund            0:desactivado 1:desactivado 2:desactivado 3:desactivado  4:desactivado    5:desactivado 6:desactivadohidd            0:desactivado 1:desactivado 2:desactivado 3:desactivado  4:desactivado    5:desactivado 6:desactivadopand            0:desactivado 1:desactivado 2:desactivado 3:desactivado  4:desactivado    5:desactivado 6:desactivadoharddrake    0:desactivado 1:desactivado 2:desactivado 3:activo    4:activo 5:activo        6:desactivadomtink        0:desactivado 1:desactivado 2:desactivado 3:desactivado  4:desactivado    5:desactivado 6:desactivadorouted          0:desactivado 1:desactivado 2:desactivado 3:desactivado  4:desactivado    5:desactivado 6:desactivadoudev            0:desactivado 1:desactivado 2:activo        3:activo    4:activo 5:activo        6:desactivadoacpid        0:desactivado 1:desactivado 2:desactivado 3:activo    4:activo 5:activo        6:desactivadoacpi            0:desactivado 1:desactivado 2:activo        3:activo    4:activo 5:activo        6:desactivadoservicios basados en xinetd:        rsync:  desactivado        fam:    activo[root@chello084010044003 gaucho]#

gauchoperezoso

sorry Bruno.i changed the language and what i get now when i open terminal is :locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directorylocale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or directorylocale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory[gaucho@chello084010044003 gaucho]$ lsand i cant even enter the root modei dont have much time tonight so i will have probably till tomorrow with everything.i have guests over.but ill try too post as often as possible

Gaucho . . just re-install Mandrake . . with English as default language . . . and Lilo in the MBR ( the same as you did now )Check the "summary" page on screen 15 . . . during the install and check if all is configured right.And we will see the rest tomorrow ! ;)B) BrunoPS: Changing default language in mid-swing is going to end up in disaster . . . I wanted to warn you for it but I see I was already to late for it :D :PWell, another install . . . practice makes perfect B)

gauchoperezoso

you mean all the thing from the scratch?isnt there way to install in spanish and then change to english and have the terminal work in english?i was always thinking abvout portuguese B) .well ill log out and post the output in spanish.hopefully it will be the same in all lanugages :D

Yep I mean a clean install of Mandrake . . . in English !!! . . . Listen, a complete install takes only 20 to 25 minutes . . . so . . . ;)And if you want to post questions . . and understand the answers you better have it set top English completely ( like your PCLos ) . . . . only if you can sort out all the problems yourself you can set it to any language you wish, even Chinese . . B)( All development mailinglists are in English too . . . also Mandrake . . . even not French is tolerated though Mandrake is made/based in France ! ):D Bruno

gauchoperezoso

well,too bad B) ill do it tomorrow then.but then if i install it in english would i be able to change it later to spanish and console would work or not.now even after i changed the language to spanish it still doesen work B) you are right the install itself doesnt take much time.i am still on a sick leave,so ill have a lot of time :D

You will see that after a reinstall all is well . . . . . . . and you can always install the next version ( 2 months from now ) in Spanish when you know all the ins and outs of Mandrake . . . but for now we need a real basic default install in a language we all can understand and help you in.( Now your locales, where you live, is set to a non Spanish speaking country, so that makes 3 different locales needed . . . and that causes the problem when you change in mid-swing B) ) . . . . I have it installed with default language English and the location ( "summary" page the Netherlands as location, with timezone Amsterdam ) and all my menus, etc. etc. are in English . . . but I have English AND Dutch spellcheck possibilities ( also I added French and German spellcheck . . that is no problem :D )Follow the HOW-TO and you will see on the summary page my location and timezone ;)I will see you tomorrow and we will take it from there ;)B) Bruno

gauchoperezoso

ok Bruno,no problem.ill be around since 10am i think so whenever you are online we ll start.iso far i hvae been impressed by mandrake B)

Hi Gaucho,HOMEWORK for tomorrow !!! . . . For After the fresh new install of mandrake in English B)~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~1). The updates for Mandrake ( there should be 400 - 500 MB )Open the MCC ( same as in PCLos :D ) --> Software Management --> Updates . . . . you will get a message that it will get a list of mirrors . . . when it does show the list choose the one form the Netherlands nluug ( is the fastest and most of the time better up to date ) . . . and let it get the list.However sometimes this fails, so here are 2 alternative ways to get the update source configured:In an console as root:

urpmi.addmedia --update updates ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Mandrakelinux/official/updates/10.1/main_updates with media_info/hdlist.cz

( Command is ONE line !! )OR:Go to the MCC --> Software Management --> Media Management, and remove the update source. Then push the add button, tick the box "security updates" and put in these lines:For the URL:CODEftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Man....1/main_updatesFor the "relative path etc etc"CODEmedia_info/synthesis.hdlist.czPress OK and it should configure the source for you.Then leave the "Media Manager" and go to "Updates" and now it should work okay.Once you get the GUI where the updates are displayed, check all 3 the boxes: "security updates", "bugfixes" and "normal updates" . . . . . and check the box saying "maximum information ;)Form there on it is a piece of cake :D~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~2). After the updates . . . make a rescue CD with the command earlier in this thread B) . . . once the CD is made: please do test it :D~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 3). Then add some essential software: ( In a console, not the MCC . . . is quicker :w00t: )

# urpmi kedit# urpmi galeon# urpmi mozilla-firefox# urpmi mozilla# urpmi anacron# urpmi gkrellm# urpmi koffice# urpmi aumix# urpmi mplayer# urpmi mplayer-plugin

And a few more that you feel like they could come handy :D~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~4). Well, that ( and tweaking the looks of Drake ) should keep you busy for a while . . :D~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~5). When you get really bored with Mandrake you can reboot into PCLos ( But the Mandrake boot CD should be tested and working !!! ) and you can prepare the Lilo by already giving these commands in PCLOS ( Not in Mandrake !!! ):( If you are not sure of what you are doing or at the first command that fails: WAIT for me to log in ! )

# mkdir /mnt/hda7# mount /dev/hda7 /mnt/hda7# cp -r /mnt/hda7/boot  /boot/drake# ls -al /boot/drake

If the last command shows you the initrd-2.6.8.1-12mdk.img and the vmlinuz-2.6.8.1-12mdk and a few other files . . . then you are on the right track !The only thing to do after that is "kwrite /etc/lilo.conf" to open the lilo.conf file in kwrite and add this section at the end:

image=/boot/drake/vmlinuz-2.6.8.1-12mdk    label="Mandrake"    root=/dev/hda7    initrd=/boot/drake/initrd-2.6.8.1-12mdk.img    append="acpi=on resume=/dev/hda1 splash=silent"    vga=788    read-only
Then save the file and post:
# cat /etc/lilo.conf

So we can first check it before you overwrite the MBR with it !!I will be back online at the usual time later today :(~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~6). have a nice day :DB) Bruno

That's quite a novel there Bruno! :lol:
LOL Adam . . . just trying to keep the guy busy, we don't want him to get bored do we ? :D :o B)( And I love to give "homework" . . . . . !! ) ;)B) Bruno

gauchoperezoso
:ph34r: :D :D :D thank you Bruno for the homework!!no 6 is my favorite.ill have to check if the boot cd works.i burned it already.one strange thing.when i type :[root@chello084010044003 gaucho]# dmesg | grep CDi get[root@chello084010044003 gaucho]# strange.i already know where my burner is located but it should show me that right?anyways,ill get the updates now and i can prepare lilo in pclos. :D

LOL . . . I thought you would be posting me the progress on the PCLos Lilo by now :D :D :D . . . . . I think you have been sleeping in too long my friend !! :ph34r: :DAnyway the "dmesg" output is at least strange . . . but for this moment of none importance :DB) Bruno