Firefox as a default browser

gauchoperezoso

Hi GauchoGlad Kaffeine works for you ! :DNow some answers ( but the questions are difficult to understand :lol: so excuse me if I give an answer on a question I mis-interpreted :D )

when i click on some mpg files i get mozilla plugin screen and it is downloading automatically but then when its finished nothing happens
That is because of the bug in Mplayer ( That is why we have to use Kaffeine ;) ) . . If you need an additional URL let me know from what station and I will try to get it for you.
that is mozilla whereas konqueror automatically asks where to save the file but then i hear only a click and nothing follows.no file is downloaded.
For downloading a file in Konqueror you rightclick the link and choose "save link as" . . in Mozilla you rightclick and "save link target as" . . . in Firefox: "Save link as"
file transfer on lnux is outclasses the one on windows.any idea why?
We just download more in Linux, that is why it simply has to be better :D :D :PB) Bruno

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gauchoperezoso

• Bruno

• ross549

• ikerekes

gauchoperezoso

Hi Bruno!i cant get canal 9 on www.tv4all.com to play.when i click on it i only see mplayer plugins download complete site.when i right-click on it i can save the link but still i dont get url:(i am sure Bruno you will find the way to play it:)

You're welcome Gaucho !! . . . Glad all works as expected ! :D

am sure ill come up with new things tomorrow though
I'm sure you will Gaucho . . . and I hope that we can come up with the answers :thumbsup: :lol: :lol: . . . . LOLB) Bruno

gauchoperezoso
:D B) :) i have come up with one more question :( when i download the movies from the net i cant play them later.xine does reproduce it but there is only hissing sound and visualization instead of the proper image.kaffeine player says theres no plugin to reproduce the file. :( also when i want to open mpg or another media file with any of the player i first have to download it to the disk.only then can i play it.i cant play it stright from the net. :(

when i download the movies from the net i cant play them later
What format do these movies you download have ??
mpg or another media file  i first have to download it
That is indeed what I usually do too . . rightclick and download . . . :DAs a habit I usually avoid ( boycott :D ) Windows-format files and only stream real-audio or mp3B) Bruno

gauchoperezoso

thats a good question Bruno... :) to be honest i dont know what format they are.acctually it is only one movie :( .i would guess it is a regular movie format :( :( i mean it isnt DVD but a normal cd.how can i check what format that is?sorry about posting something and not responding for so long but i have quite a lot of things to do this week.next week will be much better i think.after all i dont wanna lose my 9 posts per day average :D B)

after all i dont wanna lose my 9 posts per day average :)  :(
Don't worry. We won't line you up in front of a firing squad if you fail to have 9 posts per day! B) :D Just don't get lost and forget yoru way back here. :(

gauchoperezoso
:D :D :D :D thats reassuring teacher :D :D Adam,i dont have a cd icon on my desktop,not counting the livecdinstall icon.when i pop in the cd kaffeine player starts up as a default player and a message isaying no plugins to handle this file is shown. :(

Gaucho.....Go ahead and put the CD in the drive. When the error message comes up, go ahead and close out the Kaffeine window. Than give me the output from:

ls /mnt/cdrom

gauchoperezoso

[root@chello084010044003 guest]# ls "/mnt/cdrom/Ch³opcy z ferajny/"Goodfellas.avi* Goodfellas.txt*[root@chello084010044003 guest]#

gmplayer "/mnt/cdrom/Ch³opcy z ferajny/Goodfellas.avi"

should start up Mplayer, playing the goodfellas file. If it cannot read the file, then we most likely have a bad file. In either case, copy/paste the output from the command line to a post.

Great! :)I would recommend using either xine or Mplayer as your default movie player..... kaffeine and noatun are fronends for them anyways......You can go into the KDE control Center to adjust the default player for .avi and .mpg files. The file associations area is under components. You can go into movies, and change avi and mpg to your liking. :D

Hi GauchoThere is a nice long list of updates fro PCLos: http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.php?showtopic=10101But the mplayer-plugin is not yet in the list . . . so for your TV4all you will have to continue to do the "trick" until we have the next round :DThere might however be an update for the DVD issue we fixed temporary . . . if you get conflicts we know where to look and remove the line we added in rc.local ;):dl-green: Bruno

gauchoperezoso

hi everybidy!!Thank you Adam once more for VCD thing and You Bruno for the updates.they are being installed now B) .i was also thinking if something be done to turn up the volume on xine or mplayer.the system notification sounds are much louder than the ones on dvd or vcd.the alsa sliders are up already. i also had some more questions but cant think of them now.oh wait.sometimes gnome or kde kind of freezes i.e. it doesn want to open different programs unless i close the session and open a new one.it also slows down often after running for long time,especially if i opened many different programs,not necessarely at the same time.in such case closing the session helps too but maybe something simplier can be done to prevent it.also was thinking (tentatively) of installing a new distro.maybe mandrake 10.1 just to broaden my linux horizons :( .then i could to try to use what you guys have already told me and configure it myself :D ;)

Hi GauchoWhat you are experiencing is probably the memory-leak in Java . . . . closing the browser will free up that memory ;)Sure you could try another Distro . . . . but then you will have to install java and all the other browser-plugins yourself :D ( that is the advantage of PCLos, it comes with them by default )I would stick with PCLos for another few weeks/months and learn . . . and only then try another distro.;) Bruno

PART 2You have not got any space left on that laptop have you ?? Because multibooting 3 OS'es could be an idea . . ;)Keep PCLos as "main" and Mandrake as "playground" . . :D Bruno

gauchoperezoso
:D i do have some space.i mean now i have to main partitions that use up all the space but changing them could be an idea.40GB isnt that little after all. :)also sometimes when the system is clogged i open something or even download updates and harddrive starts to work and goes on forever until i press ctrl alt del that is.any idea?