Firefox as a default browser

gauchoperezoso

40 GB is enough for 3 OS'es indeed . . . :D . . but it means reinstalling everything including Windows . . .

harddrive starts to work and goes on forever until i press ctrl alt del that is.any idea
YES ! that is the Cron-demon . . . . . you should not interrupt it !! :D :DRead about it here: http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.ph...14&t=503&st=109and: http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.ph...f=14&t=503&st=4That is a very important service !!! . . . And interupting it is not good for the health of your distro :DB) Bruno

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gauchoperezoso

• Bruno

• ross549

• ikerekes

gauchoperezoso

i dont think it is cron demon.it happenes too oftern and causes everything to practically stop.also when i am in the some session for a long time the internet slows down.sometimes it is slow even it the beggining.maybe the fact i have limewire open causes it,but then i transfer only one file so it shouldnt really matter.

Hi GauchoIs there any change when Limewire is closed ? Also, what does Gkrellm tell you about CPU and Memory usage ? And if there is high usage, can you see in the process table ( Ctrl+Esc ) what process that is ?:D Bruno

gauchoperezoso

i checked the process table.lime wire does use up a lot of memory!there is an imporovement wihtout it.one thing,why ctrl+ esc doesnt work in gnome?i had to open it from the command line.another thing that is kind of strange to me is mplayer.it works well in gnome but in kde there are much morproblems.does this bug exist only in kde?i am thinking of getting rid of windows for good.after all what do i need it for now that my pclos is running so well??instead i could install mandrake 10.1 and play around with it, B)

gauchoperezoso

and one more question.sound in games works in gnome but only when the system notification sounds are off.in kde it doesn work even then.is there any way that it works with system sounds in both gnome and kde?i am kinda pain with this sound B) ;)

i checked the process table.lime wire does use up a lot of memory!there is an imporovement wihtout it.one thing,why ctrl+ esc doesnt work in gnome?i had to open it from the command line.another thing that is kind of strange to me is mplayer.it works well in gnome but in kde there are much morproblems.does this bug exist only in kde?i am thinking of getting rid of windows for good.after all what do i need it for now that my pclos is running so well??instead i could install mandrake 10.1 and play around with it, B)
Good plan !Here are the files: ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Man...ad-CD1.i586.isoftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Man...ad-CD2.i586.isoftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Man...ad-CD3.i586.iso3 CSsAnd the checksum: ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Man...Download-CD.md5Then about the sound in Gnome and KDE . . . they use different sound systems . . . so there can be a differnce.There are new updates today though so that could have a beneficial effect on your sound problems ;);) Bruno

and how do you display process table in gnome?
I never use Gnome my friend . . . . so I guess the menu like you did it above is the only real option ;)B) Bruno

gauchoperezoso

for some reason i am liking gnome more and more.maybe because mplayer works there :) . i am playing around with different commands for the terminal.it is amazing how many things you can do there...if you only know how that is :rolleyes: plus it is all so logical once you get to know it.i think ill get down to downloading mandrake.quite a lot of MB to be downloaded :) . more questions to come later :hmm:

LOL . . . . . you can't beat the commandline Gaucho: powerful and quick :DI know about Mandrake . . 2200 MB downloads . . . ;):rolleyes: Bruno

gauchoperezoso

yup.it will take 6 hours to get it.for some reason it downloads quite slowly compared to other files :rolleyes: .i think i will wait till tomorrow with the downloads.first i wanted to get some movie using limewire.and one request.can you give me some links to the sites which will teach me how to use the terminal?

LOL . . . most of my Tips are geared towards the terminal :rolleyes: http://www.brunolinux.com :hmm: The Console/Terminal VI and Emacs Vi ( Revisited ) Bash Bash history Bash script Tab completion Ctrl+C ( Stop Processing Command ) Shorthand File permissions Changing file permissions The whatis command Handy console commands Hardlinks and symlinks Again, handy file commands Searching The command less A simple backup script Redirections ( and the black hole: /dev/null ) Basic machine information Getting in textmode and shutting down X Aliases The ¨links¨ browser fstab and mtab Mount and umount Grep is for searching within a file Global expressions Regular expressions The ¨PATH¨ Splitting large files Md5sum Trick The Host Command CDrecord CDrecord and Kernel 2.6 Apropos ImageMagick Tweak the command "ls -l" Transparent Console The Find Command Find and Replace with Sed Also: http://gd.tuwien.ac.at/linuxcommand.org/superman_pages.phphttp://linuxcourse.rutgers.edu/rute/:) Bruno

gauchoperezoso

one more think.do you think changing the Gstreamer source form OSS to Artsd or Alsa can help?Gnome usesOSS and kde Artsd i think.Maybe alsa would work the best?if i choose alsa or oss as default sink and then test it i get an error message saying failed to construct test pipeline for ALSA and OSS respectively.if i choose Artsd i dont get any message.my dafault source is OSS also.what do you think about it Bruno?

gauchoperezoso

yup i know.i have been checking your tips :rolleyes: but it isnt complete is it?i was thinking maybe about something more thorough,no offence :hmm: but then i still havent seen a lot of the tips so maybe it is thorough only i dont know about yet :) :)

gauchoperezoso

when you open gstreamer preference in gnome you get sink default and source default.of the first one uses oss should the second one use it too?

LOL . . . . my problem is: I really never use Gnome . . . . . only if I really have to check something . . and even then I try to access it from KDE :PB) BrunoPS: Maybe make a new thread to attract the Gnome users B)

Adam write he hates it if i remeber well.
You don't. :PI don't mind it at all, just does not have some features that I consider vital. For that reason, I simply don't use it.

gauchoperezoso

probably Ivan.the problem with the streamtuner is it doesnt work on my computer :) .it tells me to check one of the 3 things.that the sound card is configured correcty,that i have correct output plugin selected and that no other program is blocking sound card.now the sound card is configured properly and no other program is blocking it cuz even when i start to play it after rebooting it doesnt work.i dont know about the second thing,oh,end the error i get says it cannot connect to the host and cand find resource :wacko:

gauchoperezoso

i would also have one more question.when it comes to file transfer what is the best program to do it?i use limewire but to be honest never used any other one,short of amule which i dont like.as i found them difficult to understand :) .

Hi GauchoYou surely think I am intensly boring . . . but I never do use any of those programs . . . I only FTP a little now and then ( with Kget ) :PBut I have been told that Azureus is a good program to download films and music . . :) Bruno