Installing Drake 10.1

réjean

Jason, I downloaded it at my Sister's on dialup last month.  Firefox took about 5 minutes to download.  Not too bad.
Your sister must have DSL, Julia.8.2 MB is equivalent to 65 600 000 bytes. To do that in five minutes (300 s) would require a speed of 218 667 bps (~219 Kbps) which is markedly faster than a 56 Kbps modem. Heck, it's faster than what I get (I usually get ~180 Kbps). So please don't call it slow dialup... it makes me feel.... less like a man. :)

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• réjean

• Bruno

• teacher

• linuxdude32

Now I am a happy camper. I've got my little foxy installed and running with all (almost) my bookmarks! I'm in heaven. Oh! And Jason! We'll soon have to make Bruno yank a few more hair from his head by installing SuSe, won't we?
:clap: :bounce: :happyroll: Woohoo!I can help you install SUSE if Bruno wants to help you with fixing LILO for it and SUSE- I'm not very good with that part. Moving kernels around is way too much work for me. I just prefer using GRUB and chainloader. It's so much easier, at least in my eyes. But I don't blame you since you mentioned GRUB gave you problems before.

LOL . . . still got all my hair left Réjean . . . even after almost 2 years on this forum :happyroll: :DSo Firefox installed on Mandrake . . . . let us make a status-report:How is Lilo ?Should we go back to Xandros lilo ?What is up with that new kernel ?Did Jason send you an update CD for Mandrake ? And in how far is that install updated ?What partition lives Ubuntu ?What partition is free for SUSE ?Questions . . questions . . questions . . . :bounce: :PB) Bruno

Hi Bruno and everyone!Glad you still have all your hair. :"> :w00tx100: :w00tx100: Answers. Answers. Answers.1.Drake lilo works...kindda...If I choose Mandrake,linux non-fb or failsafe the system restarts. Mandrake-up1GB takes me into the new kernel no problem. I tried Xandros and it went about 80% through and told me it had to restart. I tried it again and this time it opened Xandros so I figure it hadn't close properly last time I used it. If I click on Windoze it opens no problem.2.The new kernel seems to be stable now. I just tried copying a bit of text and I was able to paste it in a console which I couldn't do for a while last night. I really like the new opening (nice blue with a progress bar) which offers you to see the verboze if you want.3. Jason sent me an update CD and I will give it another try. He emailed me after I went to bed last night and my problem was that I hadn't unmounted the CD at firt. Will reread your tutorial and his before anything else.4.Ubuntu lives on "hdc1", well let me check my partitions table:

DeviceOld device file: ‎/dev/hdcNew devfs device: ‎/dev/ide/host0/bus1/target0/lun0/discPartitionsPrimary partitions: ‎1 (hdc1)Extended partitions: ‎1 (hdc5)

5.Finally, I have 2 partitions left on my hda;hda10 (~4.9GB) and hda11(~4.6GB).I'll be out doing some snow blowing and shovelling then I have to go in the basement and replace a leaking water tank and redo some welding but I should be here about the same time as usual.Thanks for your help everybody.Love you all!Rejean

Edited by réjean

O, well . . . that all sounds reasonable positive Réjean !!! . . . . ;)Now the updates for Mandrake are kind of important . . . not really the "security"-updates ( because you are on dial-up ) . . but far more important are the "bug-fixes" !!I hope you know that the default "update-source" the MCC presents you is NO good ! You have to use the one I posted in the "NEW UPDATES"-thread . . . that one together with the updates you have on CD and that Jason did send you.So I think our first focal point should be the updates !After that, we can add Ubuntu to lilo . . . . ( if you secretly have the wish to switch to the Xandros Lilo, we still can ! Just tell me :"> )

Drake lilo works...kindda..
What exactly does not work here ??The partitoions hda10 and hda11 we will save for last ( Always save the best for last :w00tx100: ) . . . . from what I understand you have the SUSE CDs dusted off already :w00tx100: . . . good !! :DB) Bruno

Hi Bruno!I just want to let you know that I am here and that I will be trying to figure out how to do the updates using Jason's reommendations and your tutorial, and his CD updates to start with.I hope I didn't offended you when I said that Drake Lilo was working "kindda", all I meant was that a few entries make the machine reboot but with a CD recue I probably don't need the failsafe and the non-fb. And all I have to do is choose Mandrake-up1GB and I am here all the time. I can probably go into Xandros all the time also, now, and into Windoze. So I am plenty satisfied with what I've got. And no I have no secret desire to go back into Xandros Lilo. For me as long as a bootloader works it doesn't matter which one it is, as long as I can go into the distro that I want to go in when I reboot I am perfectly fine. As I said before I don't even prefer Lilo to Grub except that Grub has given me all kinds of hard time and it's only because I didn't know how to create a bootable CD (all I had read until I came on this forum at to do with floppy rescue disks but my machine cannot use a floppy).So I'll be doing some reading for awhile and keep on coming back here.BTW, Bruno, when I installed Drake 10.1 I vaguely remember being asked or seeing that I would get KDE 3.3 but I was surprised when I turned Drake on for the first time to find out that I was in KDE. During the install I also chose to get both KDE and Gnome (but I guess it is just that I don't remember how to switch between the 2. I Kindda prefer KDE anyway to tell you the truth. Ok! So go back to your reading Rejean.

BTW, Bruno, when I installed Drake 10.1 I vaguely remember being asked or seeing that I would get KDE 3.3 but I was surprised when I turned Drake on for the first time to find out that I was in KDE.
LOL . . KDE 3.3 is for the next version . . . . in May, April this year B) . . . Installing KDE 3.3 now is only for real experts . . . . ;) :DGood plan do some reading . . . I am doing a stint in another thread, but will be at your service again tomorrow ! :( . . . . If that is Okay with you :PB) Bruno

Glad things are working satisfactorily for you now, réjean. Always good to have that before you plunge into the next distro! Remember when you do get to SUSE, don't install it in the MBR, choose the customize bootloader so that it's installed in the root partition. Is that okay for you, too, Bruno?réjean: I couldn't get the replacement CD out to you today because I wanted to include the SUSE Live for you and hadn't downloaded yet. Also going to make a SUSE Update CD this weekend. I'm going to install Mandrake on my spare drive so I can help you with the Mandrake Update CD too (I have a copy of it here as well).

Thanks a googol Jason! (not a google as I was corrected at one time somewhere else). Greatly appreciated! And there is no real ruh for the disks! I've got my han full right now I can assure you but I am learning which is the main thing isn't?

Glad things are working satisfactorily for you now, réjean. Always good to have that before you plunge into the next distro! Remember when you do get to SUSE, don't install it in the MBR, choose the customize bootloader so that it's installed in the root partition. Is that okay for you, too, Bruno?
Hi Jason . . . . Allow me to disagree, because like I wrote in the other thread ( http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.php?showtopic=10336 ) . . . . . I think it would be easier to install it in the MBR because of the 2 stages the SUSE installer uses to install the system . . . . You will have to either make a boot-floppy ( Réjean has no floppy ) or overwrite the MBR to be able to get to the second stage of the install ( and get the updates at the end of the 2nd stage ).We do have a Drake boot-CD though to get back the lilo that includes his other distros . . :wacko: . . .and will include SUSE after he managed to install that.:huh: Bruno