Installing Drake 10.1

réjean

by the way here is the latest content of /etc/lilo.conf:

# File generated by DrakX/drakboot# WARNING: do not forget to run lilo after modifying this filedefault="Mandrake"boot=/dev/hdamap=/boot/mapkeytable=/boot/us.kltpromptnowarntimeout=100message=/boot/messagemenu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bwimage=/boot/vmlinuz        label="Mandrake"        root=/dev/hda8        initrd=/boot/initrd.img        append="acpi=ht resume=/dev/hda5 splash=silent"        vga=788        read-onlyimage=/boot/xandros/vmlinuz-2.4.22-x1        label="Xandros"        root=/dev/hda6        initrd=/boot/xandros/initrd-2.4.22-x1.gz        append="rw acpi=on noagp"         vga=0xf04        read-onlyimage=/boot/vmlinuz        label="linux-nonfb"        root=/dev/hda8        initrd=/boot/initrd.img        append="acpi=ht resume=/dev/hda5"        read-onlyimage=/boot/vmlinuz        label="failsafe"        root=/dev/hda8        initrd=/boot/initrd.img        append="failsafe acpi=ht resume=/dev/hda5"        read-onlyother=/dev/hda1        label="windows"        table=/dev/hda      

Sorry about the problems but I couldn't do anything, go anywhere I had to restart the console, and kwrite a few times.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• réjean

• Bruno

• teacher

• linuxdude32

I know about the freeze . . that is because you still boot the wrong kernel . . but after this change is will be okay . . and you can reboot the new kernel.B) Bruno

by the way here is the latest content of /etc/lilo.conf:
# File generated by DrakX/drakboot# WARNING: do not forget to run lilo after modifying this filedefault="Mandrake"boot=/dev/hdamap=/boot/mapkeytable=/boot/us.kltpromptnowarntimeout=100message=/boot/messagemenu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bwimage=/boot/vmlinuz        label="Mandrake"        root=/dev/hda8        initrd=/boot/initrd.img        append="acpi=ht resume=/dev/hda5 splash=silent"        vga=788        read-onlyimage=/boot/xandros/vmlinuz-2.4.22-x1        label="Xandros"        root=/dev/hda6        initrd=/boot/xandros/initrd-2.4.22-x1.gz        append="rw acpi=on noagp"         vga=0xf04        read-onlyimage=/boot/vmlinuz        label="linux-nonfb"        root=/dev/hda8        initrd=/boot/initrd.img        append="acpi=ht resume=/dev/hda5"        read-onlyimage=/boot/vmlinuz        label="failsafe"        root=/dev/hda8        initrd=/boot/initrd.img        append="failsafe acpi=ht resume=/dev/hda5"        read-onlyother=/dev/hda1        label="windows"        table=/dev/hda      

Sorry about the problems but I couldn't do anything, go anywhere I had to restart the console, and kwrite a few times.

Yep but that one is NO good !!! . . . . copy mine and copy it to /etc . . . :Here is what we do Réjeanopen an empty kwrite file ( via the menu ) and paste this in the file:
# File generated by DrakX/drakboot# WARNING: do not forget to run lilo after modifying this filedefault="Mandrake"boot=/dev/hdamap=/boot/mapkeytable=/boot/us.kltpromptnowarntimeout=100message=/boot/messagemenu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bwimage=/boot/vmlinuz       label="Mandrake-up1GB"       root=/dev/hda8       initrd=/boot/initrd.img       append="acpi=ht resume=/dev/hda5 splash=silent"       vga=788       read-only       image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.8.1-12mdk        label="Mandrake"         root=/dev/hda8        initrd=/boot/initrd-2.6.8.1-12mdk.img        append="acpi=ht resume=/dev/hda5 splash=silent"        vga=788        read-onlyimage=/boot/xandros/vmlinuz-2.4.22-x1       label="Xandros"        root=/dev/hda6        initrd=/boot/xandros/initrd-2.4.22-x1.gz        append="rw acpi=on noagp "        vga=0xf04        read-only              image=/boot/vmlinuz       label="linux-nonfb"       root=/dev/hda8       initrd=/boot/initrd.img       append="acpi=ht resume=/dev/hda5"       read-only       image=/boot/vmlinuz       label="failsafe"       root=/dev/hda8       initrd=/boot/initrd.img       append="failsafe acpi=ht resume=/dev/hda5"       read-only       other=/dev/hda1       label="windows"       table=/dev/hda
No more . . no less . . check it . . Then save the file to your /home/rejean and call it "lilo.conf"Then
# cp  lilo.conf   /etc

It will ask if it should overwrite the file . . and you say YB) Bruno

Sorry!

[root@localhost real]# /sbin/liloAdded Mandrake-up1GBAdded Mandrake *Added XandrosAdded linux-nonfbAdded failsafeAdded windows[root@localhost real]#

[root@localhost real]# cat /etc/lilo.conf# File generated by DrakX/drakboot# WARNING: do not forget to run lilo after modifying this filedefault="Mandrake"boot=/dev/hdamap=/boot/mapkeytable=/boot/us.kltpromptnowarntimeout=100message=/boot/messagemenu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bwimage=/boot/vmlinuz       label="Mandrake-up1GB"       root=/dev/hda8       initrd=/boot/initrd.img       append="acpi=ht resume=/dev/hda5 splash=silent"       vga=788       read-onlyimage=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.8.1-12mdk        label="Mandrake"        root=/dev/hda8        initrd=/boot/initrd-2.6.8.1-12mdk.img        append="acpi=ht resume=/dev/hda5 splash=silent"        vga=788        read-onlyimage=/boot/xandros/vmlinuz-2.4.22-x1       label="Xandros"        root=/dev/hda6        initrd=/boot/xandros/initrd-2.4.22-x1.gz        append="rw acpi=on noagp "        vga=0xf04        read-onlyimage=/boot/vmlinuz       label="linux-nonfb"       root=/dev/hda8       initrd=/boot/initrd.img       append="acpi=ht resume=/dev/hda5"       read-onlyimage=/boot/vmlinuz       label="failsafe"       root=/dev/hda8       initrd=/boot/initrd.img       append="failsafe acpi=ht resume=/dev/hda5"       read-onlyother=/dev/hda1       label="windows"       table=/dev/hda[root@localhost real]#

YES !!!!!!!!! HURRAY !!!BRILLIANT !! . . .ALL GOOD !!!Now . . reboot in "Mandrake" . . . . quickly before it freezes again . . we will not use "Mandrake-up1GB" anymore . . only in emergencies !B) Bruno

NO!!!Sorry about that Bruno but I tried Drake Lilo and attempted to start Mandrake and +1GB9whatever) one after the other and at least twice each. I had to resort to using the Rescue CD.If you want to call it quit for tonight I don't mind. You must be tired, I am in Drake and could see if I can get FF, or see if I can go back to Xandros or finish duplicating the CDs Jason sent me (for back-up and a copy for a friend). It's your call my friend. Greatly appreciated your help.

Réjean If you are back in Mandrake now . . . let us try to make another rescue-CD with the new kernel and see if that one boots:First remove the old file from /home/rejeanThen

mkrescue --iso --initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.8.1-12mdk.img  --kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.8.1-12mdk

to make the ISO . . . and

# cdrecord dev=/dev/hdd rescue.iso

And try to boot from that one !I will have another look at that lilo.conf file !!B) Bruno

Hi Bruno!No it wasn't a succes. I'm in Xandros right now. I made the CD, took me awhile because I couldn't copy and paste and had to figure out there was a space between kernel (on the first line) and /boot on the second).Then I restarted with the CD rescue and when choosing the 1st iption I kept restarting, same thing with choosing HD and either Mandrake or up 1GB, but choosing Xandros worked. Will try going back in Drake with the rescue CD I made this afternoon.

Hi Réjean,We could have a last try with the lilo.conf file . . but if it still does not work we will restore the Xandros lilo and we will have to use that one . . . the 11st boot-cd will be our rescue with a detour so we can start Xandros if the MBR is overwritten.Now I made slight adaptions to the lilo.conf file:

# File generated by DrakX/drakboot# WARNING: do not forget to run lilo after modifying this filedefault="Mandrake"boot=/dev/hdamap=/boot/mapkeytable=/boot/us.kltpromptnowarntimeout=100message=/boot/messagemenu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bwimage=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.8.1-12mdk-i586-up-1GB       label="Mandrake-up1GB"       root=/dev/hda8       initrd=/boot/initrd-2.6.8.1-12mdk-i586-up-1GB.img       append="acpi=ht resume=/dev/hda5 splash=silent"       vga=788       read-only       image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.8.1-12mdk        label="Mandrake"         root=/dev/hda8        initrd=/boot/initrd-2.6.8.1-12mdk.img        append="acpi=ht resume=/dev/hda5 splash=silent"        vga=788        read-onlyimage=/boot/xandros/vmlinuz-2.4.22-x1       label="Xandros"        root=/dev/hda6        initrd=/boot/xandros/initrd-2.4.22-x1.gz        append="rw acpi=on noagp "        vga=0xf04        read-only              image=/boot/vmlinuz       label="linux-nonfb"       root=/dev/hda8       initrd=/boot/initrd.img       append="acpi=ht resume=/dev/hda5"       read-only       image=/boot/vmlinuz       label="failsafe"       root=/dev/hda8       initrd=/boot/initrd.img       append="failsafe acpi=ht resume=/dev/hda5"       read-only       other=/dev/hda1       label="windows"       table=/dev/hda
Try it one more time . . and run /sbin/lilo after . . . . . I am logging out . . so if it still does not work reboot Xandros and run /sbin/lilo there to restore the Xandros lilo to the MBR !!I will see you tomorrow !!:) Bruno

Back in Drake thanks to Recue 1. Otherwise Xandros is now the bootloader so will do what you suggested. Good night Bruno. Thanks for the help!

I think I found it Réjean . . there are 2 lines missing . . see my remark in red . . and I adapted the first section ( also red ) . . previous post !:) BrunoPS: these are the two missing lines:message=/boot/messagemenu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bwyou will see them in red !

Hi Réjean,When you ran the CD1 from Mandrake youcould have gone to the end and "configured" the bootloader to do the same as run /sbin/lilo to put back your lilo from Drake! I'll be in and out for a while so if you need anything post....

For the records:

[real@localhost real]$ suPassword:[root@localhost real]# /sbin/liloAdded Mandrake-up1GBAdded Mandrake *Added XandrosAdded linux-nonfbAdded failsafeAdded windows[root@localhost real]#

Check if it is 100% identical !!

# File generated by DrakX/drakboot# WARNING: do not forget to run lilo after modifying this filedefault="Mandrake"boot=/dev/hdamap=/boot/mapkeytable=/boot/us.kltpromptnowarntimeout=100message=/boot/messagemenu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bwimage=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.8.1-12mdk-i586-up-1GB       label="Mandrake-up1GB"       root=/dev/hda8       initrd=/boot/initrd-2.6.8.1-12mdk-i586-up-1GB.img       append="acpi=ht resume=/dev/hda5 splash=silent"       vga=788       read-only       image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.8.1-12mdk        label="Mandrake"         root=/dev/hda8        initrd=/boot/initrd-2.6.8.1-12mdk.img        append="acpi=ht resume=/dev/hda5 splash=silent"        vga=788        read-onlyimage=/boot/xandros/vmlinuz-2.4.22-x1       label="Xandros"        root=/dev/hda6        initrd=/boot/xandros/initrd-2.4.22-x1.gz        append="rw acpi=on noagp "        vga=0xf04        read-only              image=/boot/vmlinuz       label="linux-nonfb"       root=/dev/hda8       initrd=/boot/initrd.img       append="acpi=ht resume=/dev/hda5"       read-only       image=/boot/vmlinuz       label="failsafe"       root=/dev/hda8       initrd=/boot/initrd.img       append="failsafe acpi=ht resume=/dev/hda5"       read-only       other=/dev/hda1       label="windows"       table=/dev/hda
:) Bruno

Hi Jason!Very weird! Was trying to make the modifications that Bruno suggested, couldn't paste and copy. Ended up with an empty /lilo.conf and now when I reboot without any CD rescue in I get a bootloader that looks like a rescue and if I choose the 2nd option up1GB and end up in the new Drake kernel (because the splask screen is blue and I am told to click (I think on Esc) to get the verboze.Very strange. Will still try installing a lilo.conf because now here is what I get:

real@localhost real]$ suPassword:[root@localhost real]# cat /etc/lilo.conf[root@localhost real]#

Why don't you do

#vi /etc/lilo.conf

While you are there go in and copy and paste what is above as your lilo.When you are done don't forget your Esc ZZ and then go in and run

/sbin/lilo

Use the copy command on the menu as well as the paste command if you can't right click to copy or middle click to paste!

Hi Julia!Thanks for the suggestion.Well Bruno ALMOST did it. I managed to rewrite the lilo.conf file within Kwrite, after rebooting. Wrote it, saved it, did a /sbin/lilo check. Everything looked fine. I rebooted and Drake lilo is back. The only thing is that when I choose Mandrake the machine reboots but if I choose Up1GB then the new Drake kernel (or I assume) works.So I'll leave it like that for now and see if I can download and install FF 1.0 or do you think that the new kernel would accept Galeon from a Drake 9.0 CD? When I tried to install it last night it asked me for the 2nd Drake 10.1 CD but after putting it in it kept spitting it out and asking me for it again.Now that was the other kernel so will see if it works this time.Thanks for your assistance everyone.

Once you have your sources added you can download Drake. Maybe you had the wrong disk? I have done that before. :) If downloading Firefox, see if you can do it from the Mandrake Control Center and by Clicking on Add Software and looking for Mozilla-Firefox. That will be your easiest way to go about it.

Hi Jason!Very weird! Was trying to make the modifications that Bruno suggested, couldn't paste and copy. Ended up with an empty /lilo.conf and now when I reboot without any CD rescue in I get a bootloader that looks like a rescue and if I choose the 2nd option up1GB and end up in the new Drake kernel (because the splask screen is blue and I am told to click (I think on Esc) to get the verboze.
I wondered why you were saying hello to me when I hadn't posted in a while. Just clued in that you must've seen me watching the post at the bottom. Not sure where your /etc/lilo.conf went but you should be able to recreate it using Bruno's last instructions and Julia's post. I haven't edited LILO in years not sure if I remember my way around it. :) BTW, make sure you're editing the LILO on the hard drive and not the one on the CD (that won't go very well but it all to easy to do, especially when you're tired).

Live your Lilo alone for now. We can update it and remove the bad entry tomorrow when everyone is fresh. Don't do too much tonight.

Once you have your sources added you can download Drake.  Maybe you had the wrong disk?  I have done that before. :)  If downloading Firefox, see if you can do it from the Mandrake Control Center and by Clicking on Add Software and looking for Mozilla-Firefox.  That will be your easiest way to go about it.
He's on dialup Julia. Although Firefox shouldn't take too long (20 minutes) to download.réjean: check your forum message box. I sent you a message about how you can check to make sure it's CD 2 (and thus, I didn't screw up).

Thank you both!Still a no go with Galeon, Julia. Will see another time if I can RPM it over the net. As Jaon said it was his copy and I am on dial-up. I am definitely leaving lilo alone for tonight.Jason I will check your post and I am now downloading FF from the like Bruno recommended. The installer (8.2 MB) was around 30 min, this morning, and this non-installer (7.8 MB) will be about 40 min tonight, still not too too bad.Keep up the good work. Love you both!Rejean

I see you found it while I was looking for it. You must have a very slow dial up. Did you look to see if it was on your CD first? I thought it was there but it was not the "latest" version. You might have a different set of CDs than I have as well. :)

Hi all!Now I am a happy camper. I've got my little foxy installed and running with all (almost) my bookmarks! I'm in heaven. Oh! And Jason! We'll soon have to make Bruno yank a few more hair from his head by installing SuSe, won't we?