38 replies to this topic

#26 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 05:01 AM

Neverware turns your tired laptop into a speedy Chromebook

When your old laptop takes five minutes to boot Windows, you may start to think about giving it away or worse, tossing it. A company called Neverware has a better idea -- why not convert it to run Google's Chrome OS?

Home site

Blimey yet another one for the test list. :breakfast:

Edited by abarbarian, 20 September 2017 - 05:13 AM.

Install ARCH
You'll never need to install it again
"I did and I'm really happy"

Posted Image~~~~~~~~~~~~~Posted Image

#27 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 23,451 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 05:06 AM

Very cool :thumbsup:
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image
CNI Radio/G+ Profile/Configs/PGP Key/comhack π

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#28 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 06:10 AM

USU (operating system)

USU linux (Bulgarian: УСУ; Учи Свободен с Убунту) is Bulgarian open source desktop operating system built around the KDE desktop environment and based on the popular free Linux distribution, Ubuntu.

Usu can be downloaded in three flavours, Desktop, Mini and Netbook, each one with its own features and target audience. All of them can be downloaded for free, as Live CD/DVD ISO images, supporting 32-bit and 64-bit processors. The defult language is Bulgarian, but in installation it can be easy changed with F2 key.

This looks like a very neat and slick os created in a very small european country. The main site is well laid out and modern looking with comprehensive information on the programs included in each of the different versions on offer. You have to look elsewhere for information concerning its base or installation etc. Mind you it is based on Ubuntu with KDE so information is easily available.

HOME SITE

Interestingly there is a AUR entry for a icon pack which looks abandoned but the link to the icon pack is still relevant. The icons are very clean and modern looking.

https://aur.archlinu...ary-usu-icons/

USU (formerly known as Free studied with Ubuntu) is alive / installation disk operating system and free software.

Further than that USU offers the following features distinguish it :

localized in Bulgarian language environment
educational software pre-installed ( several dozen programs) divided into 14 different areas of knowledge
additional installed software designed to capture more fully the typical daily needs of consumers
additional adjustments and additions to facilitate users to perform some common activities
help guide the Bulgarian language tailored to novice users who have little or no previous experience with GNU / Linux
ability to create a live USB Flash media
opportunity for change and create a personal version of USU as a live disc

http://linux-up.blog...usu-linux.html

I do like the way that the main site lays out information concerning the different versions. The fact that they have tailored a version especially for netbooks shows that they are taking account of the changes in modern computing.
I think this is a distro well worth a look and the developers deserve credit for their splendid creations.

:breakfast:
Install ARCH

#29 OFFLINE   sunrat

sunrat

Thread Kahuna

• Forum Moderators
  • 5,509 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 07:18 PM

Libre Devuan for the Asus C201

Devuan is a systemd-free version of Debian which is in active development. https://devuan.org/

This version for Chromebook is reported to work but I couldn't find any documentation.
registered Linux user number 324659  ||    The importance of Reading The *Fine* Manual! :D
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them.

#30 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 04:23 AM

View Postsunrat, on 20 September 2017 - 07:18 PM, said:

Libre Devuan for the Asus C201

Devuan is a systemd-free version of Debian which is in active development. https://devuan.org/

This version for Chromebook is reported to work but I couldn't find any documentation.

Neat. There are some interesting Devuan spin offs around hopefully I'l be able to trial some later in the winter. :breakfast:
Install ARCH

#31 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 09:53 AM

Window Maker Live: Cool Retro Look, Even Cooler Performance

WindowMaker itself has been around since 1997. It is an X11 window manager originally designed to provide integration support for the GNUstep Desktop Environment, a free adaptation of Cocoa (formerly OpenStep).
A framework with application development tools for Unix-like operating systems and Microsoft Windows, Window Maker is part of the GNU Project.
If you are into retro computing, you will marvel at Window Maker's success in reproducing the cool look and feel of the Nextstep user interface. That nostalgia is reminiscent of Thinkpad T61 technology.
If that level of computing nostalgia is not your passion, WML's user interface can bring you a productivity boost without the excessive GUI bloat of modern-day Linux desktop environments.
The window manager is loaded with features and speed. It is easy to configure. It is easy to use.

A luverly article on probably the best WM ever. :breakfast:
Install ARCH

#32 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 23,451 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 10:07 AM

Windowmaker is neat but I do not understand why the developer does not want to modernize the environment. I bet that it would be much more popular if it looked like it had been updated in the last 20 years. I am not knocking it in any way but why keep the 1995 look and feel? Linux has come a long way in the last 23 years. B)

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#33 OFFLINE   saturnian

saturnian

Multithreader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 10:29 AM

Window Maker Live, that's a cool-looking distro: http://wmlive.sourceforge.net/

I'm guessing that the Window Maker dev doesn't care so much about popularity and simply wants to keep that retro look alive.

#34 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 11:01 AM

View Postsecuritybreach, on 11 March 2018 - 10:07 AM, said:

Windowmaker is neat but I do not understand why the developer does not want to modernize the environment. I bet that it would be much more popular if it looked like it had been updated in the last 20 years. I am not knocking it in any way but why keep the 1995 look and feel? Linux has come a long way in the last 23 years. B)

This is from the Live CD folk but the WM developers have a similar outlook I think. In that it works has tons of features is light on resources and you can customise it to suit easily.

The Window Maker Live CD applies the Window Maker window manager as default graphical user interface, and successfully manages to integrate well known standard open source components in a very attractive and usable user interface.
This is of special interest for Linux users, who are not really happy with the recent graphic user interface developments of the more commonly applied Linux distributions. As Window Maker provides a very good balance between usability and a light interface, there is no reason to bother with the overhead of a full blown desktop environment.

Install ARCH

#35 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 06:13 AM

50+ Best Lightweight Linux Distros for 2018

Bonus Lightweight Linux Distros List

With the feedback and requests we got from our Best Linux Distros for Gaming list, we had to do another list of the best lightweight Linux distros. Actually, some of them fit both our categories. Sure, there are other similar lists our there, but this one has up-to-date info and we’ve personally tried and tested (almost) every distro on our old laptops. It took us 7 months to compile this list and a few weeks to update it with new data! We’ve seen new lists that included distros with their latest update being in 2005. Come on, how is that distro still relevant and good in 2018? And don’t get us started on how each list is just a rehashed version of the same 5 distros. We purposefully included many distros in our list so you have more options to choose from. All distros are free and can run on ~512MB RAM or less. If you’re feeling overwhelmed, just pick any distro.
You don’t have to throw away your old PCs and laptops. Install a lightweight Linux distro on them and they’re as good as new.  Lightweight distros don’t even have to be used on old hardware. You can install them on some bleeding-edge hardware and get the ultimate performance. Most distros are portable and can run on a Live CD/USB, without a hard drive. Why should you use other OSes full of bloatware and unnecessary stuff when you can use a perfectly fine Linux alternative?

I did a little research on several of the distros mentioned. On visiting the home pages of some of them it looks like the distro has not been updated for several years. However looking into the forums I saw new posts and information on 2018 downloads.
So it looks like all or nearly all the distros mentioned in the lists will be upto date which is not the case with a lot of other lists. I have wasted loads of time over the years reading a current article on some neat sounding distro and the visited the distros home site to find that there is no current download or that the project had been abandoned years ago.
I have a spare Toughbook CF-19 so I think I will try out some of the more unusual offerings over the coming year.

Install ARCH

#36 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 23,451 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 06:56 AM

Very neat, thanks for the share :thumbup:

#37 OFFLINE   saturnian

saturnian

Multithreader

• Members
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 08:27 AM

A "fringe" distro I've been toying around with a bit over the past few months: SalentOS

At Distrowatch: https://www.distrowa...bution=salentos

Home page: http://www.salentos.it/

It's just Debian Stable with Openbox, and a few other things tossed in. Nice setup. I've got it on my "test" computer in a dual-boot with BunsenLabs.

#38 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 08:51 AM

View Postsaturnian, on 16 March 2018 - 08:27 AM, said:

A "fringe" distro I've been toying around with a bit over the past few months: SalentOS

At Distrowatch: https://www.distrowa...bution=salentos

Home page: http://www.salentos.it/

It's just Debian Stable with Openbox, and a few other things tossed in. Nice setup. I've got it on my "test" computer in a dual-boot with BunsenLabs.

I have had a look at the distro before in passing as it always looks so neat and clean. The top task bar has always put me of exploring further though. :breakfast:
Install ARCH

#39 OFFLINE   saturnian

saturnian

Multithreader

• Members
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 09:26 AM

View Postabarbarian, on 16 March 2018 - 08:51 AM, said:

The top task bar has always put me of exploring further though. :breakfast:

I changed all that right away, using only a left-side vertical tint2 panel.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: linux, distro

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users