E17 or Enlightenment easter eggs.

abarbarian

I had a good look around the web and E17 information is pretty scarce and quite a lot of information is reproduced. Up to date information seemed to stop at 2008 until I found these sites with 2010 and 2011 information.http://planet.enlightenment.org/http://translate.google.com/translate?u=ht...=1&ie=UTF-8or the original French sitehttp://enlightenment.fr/An some links to lots of E17 videos one of them is using a touch screen on a laptop,

http://www.three68.com/?p=18However the main reason for posting was to tell you about the easter eggs. Now I have not come across this information anywhere else and it took years of dedicated research to find these gems show your appreciation in the time honoured way.Firstly if you double click on the top bar of an open window it shrinks the window to just show the bar. Pretty neat I hear you cry and well worth a free coffee.A mere trifle I assure you. For did you know E17 comes with a free game. Ah ha that grabbed your attention didn't it. Eat your heart out Gnomies and KDE fans you ain't going to top that.So firstly you have to activate the PENGUIN module. That is the one where you get penguins falling from the top of your screen and then rising up again. You can have 10 or 20 or more in action at once. When they land they have a spinning propeller on their heads and rise. However if you click on a falling penguin with your mouse pointer they turn into angels and rise up to penguin heaven.No big deal you say but try to stop 30m penguins from landing and then come back and tell me how easy it was. :hysterical:

• 2 weeks later...
http://jeffhoogland.blogspot.com/2011/01/e...-libraries.html
You read that right. Not alpha, not beta, not release candidate, but a stable 1.0 release of the Enlightenment Foundation Libraries. Ten years in the making, the EFLs released their first stable revision this weekend. This is the first step towards a "stable" release of the Enlightenment DR17 desktop.
Only another decade and we might have a stable E17 desktop :)

That's good news. I'm sure I'll try it again before a decade is out. :)
I believe that this nation should commit itself to achieving the goal, before this decade is out, of installing Enlightenment and successfully using it . No single computer project...will be more exciting, or more impressive to mankind, or more important...and none will be so difficult... to accomplish...". :hysterical:

• 3 weeks later...
http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/E1...mod-on-Treo650/
Rasterman's new "Elementary" widget set appears to be a subset of the Enlightment Foundation Libraries (EFL). Rasterman calls Elementary a "hyper-simple-to-use widget set for embedded touchscreen phones," adding that "It also looks nice and is entirely themeable, etc. But it is very close to the rest of EFL in API," he writes.Along with the new "Elementary" widget set, improvements to the illume plugin also facilitated the newly available Treo650 and Neo Freerunner ports, Rasterman says. Illume is an Enlightenment plugin that adds small-screen support. "This shows just how flexible the scheme is that E can morph into a GUI for tiny touch-screen embedded devices just with a module addition," Rasterman writes.
More to do with the phone side of life but it will have spin backs for the pc world aswell. :)

I now have Enlightenment installed on my Arch partition and I LOVE IT!!!!!!! There is so many things hiding in there. A bunch of different modules to install and play with until your hearts content. Screw something up and delete your ~/.e file and start all over. :) Even got my wireless up and working!!!!I am now ready to try and get Conky working. I have been doing A LOT of reading and I REALLY like this thing. In Arch fashion (even though it's not an Arch specific program) You the user have the say so in exactly how it looks, what it displays, how big, how small, etc.Can't wait. I downloaded Conky last night and the boss is not in the office today so guess what I am going to do between working?????? :hysterical:And as always, the king of the links comes through again!!! Thanks abarbarian!!!!!!!All the best,Ian

Edited by ichase

I now have Enlightenment installed on my Arch partition and I LOVE IT!!!!!!! There is so many things hiding in there. A bunch of different modules to install and play with until your hearts content. Screw something up and delete your ~/.e file and start all over. :'( Even got my wireless up and working!!!!I am now ready to try and get Conky working. I have been doing A LOT of reading and I REALLY like this thing. In Arch fashion (even though it's not an Arch specific program) You the user have the say so in exactly how it looks, what it displays, how big, how small, etc.Can't wait. I downloaded Conky last night and the boss is not in the office today so guess what I am going to do between working?????? :hysterical:And as always, the king of the links comes through again!!! Thanks abarbarian!!!!!!!All the best,Ian
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=110726http://conky.sourceforge.net/faq.htmlThese might help :)

In E17 if you double click on the top bar of a window it will shrink so that only the bar is showing, double click again and it will reappear. Will not work if the window is full size ie: full screen size. :)

I continue to find lot's of things you can do in E17. I actually discovered what you just mentioned yesterday. Right now, I am trying to figure out how to add programs to the shelf so that I have easy access to them. Such as Xterminal. I don't want to have to left click on the screen, left click applications, left click accesories then left click Xterminal just to open up terminal. I would like the option in my shelf or on my desktop so all I have to do is click and alas....I'm in a terminal. Spend a lot of time there so I would like it to be quick to access. :)I have read about "Drawers" in the modules but my installation does not have "Drawers" listed as a module I can install. :(Ian

I continue to find lot's of things you can do in E17. I actually discovered what you just mentioned yesterday. Right now, I am trying to figure out how to add programs to the shelf so that I have easy access to them. Such as Xterminal. I don't want to have to left click on the screen, left click applications, left click accesories then left click Xterminal just to open up terminal. I would like the option in my shelf or on my desktop so all I have to do is click and alas....I'm in a terminal. Spend a lot of time there so I would like it to be quick to access. :)I have read about "Drawers" in the modules but my installation does not have "Drawers" listed as a module I can install. :(Ian
http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.php?showtopic=39452You obviously need to read the last few magazine issues then :rolleyes:I got exterm showing in the dock bar when I am signed in as root but it doee not show up anywhere when I am logged in as USER :'( guess I'll have to keep on looking for the solution to problems aswell :) Edited by abarbarian

I got exterm showing in the dock bar when I am signed in as root but it doee not show up anywhere when I am logged in as USER :wacko: guess I'll have to keep on looking for the solution to problems aswell :thumbsup:
Well I figured out how to get stuff in the ibar (dockbar) you can simply drag and drop it in. I also now have exterm on my bar as USER but I normally always log in as user. 10 to 1 if I log in as root it won't be there. I think you have to do it for each? I also think I am going to use konsole instead of exterm. Reason being (and I have not verified this yet) when I use nano to edit a file, I can't cut and paste into it. Pretty sure this will not be a problem in konsole because I started with KDE before I switched to E17 and I was able to cut and paste with nano.Problem I am having now is, when I boot into E17 it shows on my desktop my other partitions. IE Mandriva and Windows. I figured it would be something as simple as right clicking and deleting from desktop but of course it was not that easy. I really do not want them there and not sure why E17 found it useful. I can access my other partitions in Dolphin? :wacko: And did you have "Drawers" in your list of available Modules? Because I did not. I would like to have it so I can add multiple programs with out having each icon showing on the ibar. Strange.All the best,Ian Edited by ichase

Welcome to the forum, Jeff. Honoured to have you on board.There's quite a bit of interest in Enlightenment here, and I'm sure some of us will be happy to give Bodhi a run.

• Like 1

securitybreach
Obviously I'm a little biased but IMO Bodhi Linux provides one of the best "out of the box" Enlightenment desktops around.Also - I have done more than a little bit of writing about Enlightenment related things here.Cheers,~Jeff Hoogland
Looks nice, downloading now. I am a big fan of Archlinux (in case you cannot tell) and tiling WMs so I will not be using this as my main install but I do have an extra partition available to test distros. It will be nice to see what a complete Enlightenment experience looks and feels like. I may also give me an ideal as to how to set it up under Archlinux. Also, how is your multi-monitor support on Bodhi? I only ask this because my main rig has 3 monitors.Also, very nice blog Jeff :' />
  • Like 1

Welcome aboard Jeff, great to have you. As sunrat mentioned, there are many on here. (myself included) that really dig Enlightenment. Thanks for the links. Will most definitely be trying out Bodhi and off to read your blog now!! :thumbup:All the best,Ian

Welcome aboard Jeff, great to have you. As sunrat mentioned, there are many on here. (myself included) that really dig Enlightenment. Thanks for the links. Will most definitely be trying out Bodhi and off to read your blog now!! :">
Very cool - thanks for the welcomes guys, I actually found the boards because I have Google setup to send me alerts when it finds mentions of Enlightenment Desktop on the net - I like to help where I can.@securitybreach Enlightenment has a tiling modules that works quite well :thumbsup:~Jeff

securitybreach
Very cool - thanks for the welcomes guys, I actually found the boards because I have Google setup to send me alerts when it finds mentions of Enlightenment Desktop on the net - I like to help where I can.@securitybreach Enlightenment has a tiling modules that works quite well :lol:~Jeff
Very neat about the alerts. I may have to look into the tiling module sometime, thanks for letting me know.

Well I figured out how to get stuff in the ibar (dockbar) you can simply drag and drop it in.
Drag and drop what from where ??
Reason being (and I have not verified this yet) when I use nano to edit a file, I can't cut and paste into it.
Xterm > nano > hold down left mouse button to highlight text > go to another Xterm or program or reply in this forum > click middle button to paste in text.Forum or text program > hold down left mouse button to highlight text > right click mouse COPY > go to another Xterm or program or reply in this forum > click middle button to paste in text. :whistling:

securitybreach
Drag and drop what from where ?? Xterm > nano > hold down left mouse button to highlight text > go to another Xterm or program or reply in this forum > click middle button to paste in text.Forum or text program > hold down left mouse button to highlight text > right click mouse COPY > go to another Xterm or program or reply in this forum > click middle button to paste in text. :whistling:
Yup, that is what I do on my terminal or anything else for that matter. I personally use urxvt (rxvt-unicode) as my terminal emulator.

You just got to try these if you are using E :whistling: These are all animated wallpapers,Lightest cpu usagehttp://exchange.enlightenment.org/theme/show/1274Aesthtically pleasing and low on cpu,http://exchange.enlightenment.org/theme/show/1644Neat an simply luverly picture,http://exchange.enlightenment.org/theme/show/1354Awesome,http://exchange.enlightenment.org/theme/show/1834For the geekiest of geeks and Trekie fans,http://exchange.enlightenment.org/theme/show/964 :thumbsup: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: http://exchange.enlightenment.org/theme/show/1924Some screenshots of the Loch,http://imgur.com/a/jYw77Enjoy :)

@abarbarian Maybe I should have been more clear. If you left click anywhere on the screen and go to applications. If you have a favorite app or just one that you use a lot, you can drag and drop the icon from the applications menu into the ibar.As far as what I was doing in xterm. If I opened up a file in nano, I was not able to paste into the file but I could using konsole. Not sure what was up with that, but I have konsole in my ibar so that is what I use.Looking forward to checking out these links abarbarian. As always, thanks for sharing.All the best,Ian

If anyone is interested in what goes into making an animated background you can decompile any .edj files by running the command

edje_decc myfile.edj

The scripts are fairly straight forward typically.~Jeff

If anyone is interested in what goes into making an animated background you can decompile any .edj files by running the command
edje_decc myfile.edj

The scripts are fairly straight forward typically.~Jeff

[root@myhost ~]# edje_decc Inspire.edjINF<1896>:ecore ecore_main.c:565 _ecore_main_loop_init() enterINF<1896>:ecore ecore_main.c:602 _ecore_main_loop_init() leaveERR<1896>:edje_decc edje_decc.c:121 decomp() ERROR: cannot open Inspire.edj[root@myhost ~]# edje_decc horse.edjINF<1897>:ecore ecore_main.c:565 _ecore_main_loop_init() enterINF<1897>:ecore ecore_main.c:602 _ecore_main_loop_init() leaveERR<1897>:edje_decc edje_decc.c:121 decomp() ERROR: cannot open horse.edj[root@myhost ~]#

Thats my output from my Arch 64 :hmm:

securitybreach
http://www.archlinux.org/packages/community/x86_64/e-svn/From here. I don't really want to mess around with compiling from source at the mo. :hmm:
You should not have to. I have not compiled anything in Archlinux for a year or more. There is no need since yaourt takes care of the compiling and such. That and usually svn, git, and dev packages are available from AUR so you can go stable, bleeding-edge or daily builds.

• 3 weeks later...

Well the decade's not out yet so I lived up to my promise. I installed Bodhi Linux in VBox today and I'm impressed. I will definitely try it on my EeePC soon. The install was very straight forward and booted up easily. On first boot you are presented with a configuration utility to select your desktop and theme, which icons you want on the panel etc. So far Bodhi itself has run perfectly and I installed DeadBeef music player from the repo. Currently listening to Alvin Youngblood Hart and posting this from Midori, the default browser.bodhi.th.pngThe only glitch I had was related to VBox rather than Bodhi. so I'll mention what I did in case anyone wants to do the same. I wanted to mount a shared music folder, which VBox 4 now can do automatically but you need Guest Additions installed. To do this involves selecting "Install Guest Additions" from the VBox menu, but it wont autorun. You need to go in to the /media folder and open the mounted CD, then click on the autorun.sh and put in your password. However it still wouldn't build as the kernel headers are not included. Do this:

apt-get install linux-headers-$(uname -r) build-essential

Now the Guest Additions installed properly and after a reboot, the shared folder showed up in /media, but I still couldn't access it. I wasn't a member of the vboxsf group. A quick

sudo adduser roger vboxsf

and I could finally access the share and play the music inside. :rolleyes: Note that this was the non-ose version of VBox from Oracle.

Glad you gave it a try! For those afraid to play with "pre release" or "Release candidate" software our first stable release with Bodhi Linux is set for this coming weekend.Cheers,~Jeff

Jeff, I just read dedoimedo's review and your blog post about it. I usually respect his writing but he did totally miss the point of a minimalist distro. I love the fact that I can include only those apps I want. You want to play .avi files? Install VLC or SMPlayer. Audio files? DeadBeef, Clementine etc. Each of these pulls in most of the codecs you need as dependencies with no fuss. The selections available through apt:url are an excellent choice, and cover a very large percentage of what most people want to do. Text editor? Leafpad is now in there. Sound? Turn up the volume as it's muted by default. Alt-Tab works. The browser works fine, and even Windows users have to install Flash if they want to watch YouTube.So nearly all the "issues" he had are irrelevant or are fixed in the version I tried (I think he reviewed an earlier version).The one thing I did have a little trouble with was the window focus. I'm not sure if it's Enlightenment default, your config of it, or if I'm missing something. I think it would be great if the app icon would remain in the panel at the bottom when the app is maximized, and could be clicked on to minimize. Also I'm used to mouse click on a window raises and focuses it like in KDE, but that's not so important. I'm sure if I delve into the configs a bit more I could change some of this anyway.Anyway, I think dedoimedo should try a little harder to get the point, and try the latest release where most of his criticisms are moot.Keep up the good work, Jeff! :rolleyes: B)