Distro for old laptop from Liz

zlim

Chubby puppy froze on my pentium II with 128 megs of RAM. Next I'll try Vector, assuming it is a live CD and not an install.Scratch that - it wants to install and I'm not ready for that. So I'll look over my CDs and check what might work on this low end system.

Edited by zlim

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• zlim

• Bruno

• striker

• Urmas

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Bruno. So far I've tried feather, DSL 1.4 and DSL 1.5 all of them freeze at checking for USB so I thought I'd get a bit smarter with 1.5, at boot I entered dsl toram dsl lang=us dsl nousbI suspect I entered the cheatcodes wrong becaused it is stalled at "Checking for for USB" - that's the exact wording...I'm not sure why for is in there twice.I guess I need to learn how to correctly type in cheatcodes. I learn by doing enough things wrong and eventually stumbling across the correct way. :hysterical:I think my 2nd choice must be better because it is going furtherdsl toram lang=us nousbNext problem, since the computer uses a USB to ethernet adapter and I don't have usb loading I suspect I won't have internet connections. My other choice is to stick in the PCMCIA modem card and do dialup - yuck. Any ideas on how to get a broadband connection?

Edited by zlim

Hi LizFirst try the "dsl nousb" and forget about the lang=us ( default is already us ) and the toram ( is fancy because it makes it quicker, but you need to troubleshoot the usb first ):w00t: Bruno

Bruno, I do have it running but without USB, I have no internet. How do I now load USB to get my USB to ethernet adapter recognized? Maybe it isn't possible.

I entered the code exactly as you posted and nothing, then I entered just sudo and I have a lot of switches so I need to figure out what I should typehere are choices -V -h -L -l -v -k -K [-H] [-P] [-S] [-b] [-p prompt] [-u username/#uid} -s <command>I then tried

sudo <modprobe usb>

which gives syntax error near unexpected token 'newline'

Edited by zlim

That is good Liz . . if the code gives no errors it means it is accepted :DNow do

$ sudo modprobe usb-uchi

And then do

$ sudo lsmod

and see if both usbcore and usb-uchi are listed as loaded modulesB) Bruno

For the first I get, Can't locate module usb-uchiI get lots for the second...I'm using my KVM switch so I have to type, then switch back to the other screen... I'll get there it will just take me awhile...if you decide it's bedtime, I'll understand.

LIz . . you can see yourself if "usbcore" is listed in the left column . . that is the only one I want to know if it is there.No need to type the output :DB) BrunoPS: does "sudo modprobe usb-ochi" work better then usb-uchi ?

Module					Used byapm						1 (autoclean)mousedev			   0 (unused)hid						  0 (unused)input					   0 [mousedev hid]usbcore				   0 [hid]nls_iso8859-1		  0 (autoclean)nls_cp437				0 (autoclean)agpgart				   0 (unused)maestro				  1soundcore			   2[maestro]serial					  0 (autoclean)ds						   2yenta-socket			2pcmcia_core			0 [ds yenta_socket]rtc						  0 (autoclean)cloop					   2ieee1394				  0ataraid					 0ide-cd					  0ide-scsi					0

Bruno usbcore 0[hid] What does that tell me?bcm, this is an old notebook, I have no intention of buying anything for it. If needs be, I'll just let 98SE live on it. It doesn't have a burner which is another drawback to this notebook. It was given to me by a friend who has since died. I'd feel too guilty if I gave it away and it is getting to the stage that it isn't too useful, LOL.

Can you do

$ sudo modprobe usb-ochi

and then have a look if you have usb-ochi in the output of "sudo lsmod" ??B) Bruno

Bruno usbcore 0[hid] What does that tell me?
Means the module ( drivers ) is loaded but not in use.

'nother can't locate module usb-ochik, I tried striker's spelling and I got something for usb-ohci, give me a minute to do lsmod

Edited by zlim

Bruno ... isn't that ohci instead of ochi, and uhci instead of uchi ? B)
LOL . . . you are right Striker . . I keep mis-spelling that . . . LOLB) BrunoPS: Liz if either ohci or uhci is loaded you are set . . . .

usb-ohci gives /lib/modules/2.4.26/kernel/drivers/usb/host/usb-ohci.o: init_module: No such deviceHint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters. You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg/lib/modules/2.4.26/kernel/drivers/usb/host/usb-ohci.o insmod /lib/modules/2.4.26/kernel/drivers/usb/host/usb-ohci.o failed/lib/modules/2.4.26/kernel/drivers/usb/host/usb-ohci.o insmod usb-ohci failedthen for lsmodusb-uhci says 0 (unused)I just did sudo modprobe usb-uhciand got no errorsthen for sudo lsmodusb-uhci shows 0 (unused)

Edited by zlim

Okay LizWe will pick this up tomorrow . . and I will split your posts off from this thread ( in the morning ) so we don't get confused.B) Bruno

I'm going to post links here to things I find linux related to my ASIX AX88172 USB2 to ethernet adapter because it will maybe make sense to you.This looks like it is doablehttp://leaf.dragonflybsd.org/cgi/web-man?c...e&section=4http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/peo...7x-2.4.21.patchlast post on page http://tlug.up.ac.za/old/guides/lkcg/drivers_usb_net.htmlhttp://www.asix.com.tw/search.phpwhen I click to download, this is what I get

AX88172 is already supported by Linux kernel driver "usbnet.c" from Linux kernel 2.6.x.
Since dsl uses 2.4 kernel, that might not help me. Edited by zlim

Hi LizI was not aware of the hardware you are putting to the test here . . . ;)So I'm wondering about something . . . . you wrote that you need the USB to connect to the net . . . . so is that an USB modem you have ? And does your main computer use that modem as well ?? Also what distro are you using on that main system and was your modem easy to set up ? ( I'm asking because USB modems/netwokdevices have a reputation of being very stubborn/inpossible )Next . . . . . a P2 with 128 megs of RAM is barely enough to run any Live CD ( D Small Linux excluded, it ca do with less ) . . . so you might be faced testing non-live distros.B) BrunoPS: Sorry, found this later: "ASIX AX88172 USB2 to Ethernet adapter"

Bruno, my modem connects (tv cable from wall to modem then CAT5 either directly to the computer or to the router) all computers have NICs but this notebook and my old dinosaur (PB 120MHz) don't. I bought this adapter figuring if I got any computer without a NIC, this would be an easy way to connect to the internet because most computers have USB ports. I have a CD with drivers (both computers without NICs are running 98SE) that I needed to run to get the adapter recognized. It's worked fine under windows since 2004.Since I know the linux drivers name in the 2.6 kernel, is there any way for me to put the driver from PCLos kernel 2.6 and then place it in the proper place where dsl is currently loaded in my RAM to see if it works? If it isn't doable, I'll forget this idea and go back to 98SE. I don't surf with this computer but I do keep it up to date and some people (windows people may be familiar with axcel216's huge windows site - he is one of the people involved) have been issuing patches for 98SE and ME since MS dropped support so I have also been keeping it patched.PCLOs on my notebook doesn't want to load today grrr. Sometimes it will use the wired USB mouse and other times it refuses. Today is such a day; it doesn't seem to want to load with the wired USB mouse attached. I have ordered two PS/2 only optical wired mice and they should arrive next week. The only remaining PS/2 mouse I have is acting strange so I don't trust it to work much longer and for some reason, PCLos doesn't always want to load when I have a USB to PS/2 adapter plugged in.

Edited by zlim

Bruno, my modem connects (tv cable from wall to modem then CAT5 either directly to the computer or to the router) all computers have NICs but this notebook and my old dinosaur (PB 120MHz) don't. I bought this adapter figuring if I got any computer without a NIC, this would be an easy way to connect to the internet because most computers have USB ports. I have a CD with drivers (both computers without NICs are running 98SE) that I needed to run to get the adapter recognized. It's worked fine under windows since 2004.Since I know the linux drivers name in the 2.6 kernel, is there any way for me to put the driver from PCLos kernel 2.6 and then place it in the proper place where dsl is currently loaded in my RAM to see if it works? If it isn't doable, I'll forget this idea and go back to 98SE. I don't surf with this computer but I do keep it up to date and some people (windows people may be familiar with axcel216's huge windows site - he is one of the people involved) have been issuing patches for 98SE and ME since MS dropped support so I have also been keeping it patched.PCLOs on my notebook doesn't want to load today grrr. Sometimes it will use the wired USB mouse and other times it refuses. Today is such a day; it doesn't seem to want to load with the wired USB mouse attached. I have ordered two PS/2 only optical wired mice and they should arrive next week. The only remaining PS/2 mouse I have is acting strange so I don't trust it to work much longer and for some reason, PCLos doesn't always want to load when I have a USB to PS/2 adapter plugged in.
axcel216's huge windows site... I remember, yep indeed it's tremendous.The USB2PS2 adapter might also be the problem. I encountered that three weeks ago, when switching the keyboard from a MS one to a Logitech one. The latter came with a quality adapter, the former with just standard quality. The Logitech adapter fits in very tight, all others I tried (incl.the one of MS) were just standard quality, they fitted just so and so. Not the Logitech one, since I use that one I have no more problems with the keyboard. B)

Hi LizThat CAT5 to USB device is a serious problem . . . . . . actually all network devices using USB are serious headache. You have to get real lucky to find a distro that will support it . . . . we will have to google to find more info.Recompiling a kernel and adding support for the drivers needed by that USB device is a task even advanced users make so many errors that I think we should scratch that option form the list.Actually the only USB devices with reasonable support are the WiFi USB adapters . . . and even then you have to be very careful which one to buy.Let me first google a bit . . . and I will get back to you.:hysterical: Bruno