86 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   nlinecomputers

nlinecomputers

Discussion Deity

• No Longer a Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,932 posts

Posted 25 April 2003 - 11:43 PM

The blank CD-R/RW media must first be formatted with a packet writing software such as Roxio DirectCD or the equivalent (I think it's called InCD in Nero.) Once that is done, the CD burner behaves like a disk partition within the filesystem. So, from within Windows XP Backup you choose the backup type as File and point to the drive letter of the CD Burner. It also saves to floppy disks!
I've tried that and never got it to work with XP native or Roxio.  Never tried Nero with that.  I'll have to dig out my copy and investagate that one.What happens if you fill the disk and still have more data?
Nathan Williams, N-Line Computers

How to kill a programmer:  Give him a shampoo bottle.  Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

#52 OFFLINE   Peachy

Peachy

Anarquista De Sartorial

• Forum Moderators
  • 5,448 posts

Posted 25 April 2003 - 11:49 PM

nlinecomputers, on Apr 25 2003, 10:43 PM, said:

I've tried that and never got it to work with XP native or Roxio.  Never tried Nero with that.  I'll have to dig out my copy and investagate that one.What happens if you fill the disk and still have more data?
It won't work with XP native burning capabilities since that isn't packet writing, but it does work with Roxio DirectCD. Try it again. If you fill the disk before the file finishes you will get a disk full error message I suppose,  :D , but I've never tested it to its capacity. I know that when backing up to file to another disk partition and the partition becomes full, the backup will erase the backup file and quit the operation. What will likely happen is you will get a blank disk that appears completely full!

'freedom...is actually the reason that men live together in political organisations at all. Without it, political life as such would be meaningless. The raison d'Être of politics is freedom, and its field of experience is action'.
My Flickr Photo Blog Posted Image
del.icio.us bookmarks Posted Image

#53 OFFLINE   jbredmound

jbredmound

Thread Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 27 April 2003 - 08:39 AM

I have quite a bit of work to do here. In fact, I started, burned one CD, and then decided to take another look at everything before I went on.One of my challenges is that I have a lot of downloaded software; fortunately, few of the programs are of any size.Ryan, I didn't even think about creating a folder and dumping everything in there! Thanks...that should make everything easier, or at least more manageable.I am going to start over, I think, with a bit more master-planning before I burn.Friday, I was completely engaged in watch the debris removal and site prep work, ala the barn. The old barn was an 80' X 35' galvanized steel building, 24' high. A LOT of junk on that site. I stood amazed, watching the guy with the HUGH backhoe pick this stuff up and put it in the mega-dumpster.To complicate matters, we have a 20' X 80' asparagus bed, which is right next to the barn. This guy tore down what was left standing, gathered up all the junk, leveled and prepped the site, and never ONCE touched the asparagus bed.  :lol:   <_<   :rolleyes:   :blink: Anyway, that and working yesterday has set me back; I'm going to have to squeeze some time out somewhere and get this done.  :rolleyes:

#54 OFFLINE   Peachy

Peachy

Anarquista De Sartorial

• Forum Moderators
  • 5,448 posts

Posted 27 April 2003 - 11:43 AM

jbredmound, on Apr 27 2003, 07:39 AM, said:

To complicate matters, we have a 20' X 80' asparagus bed, which is right next to the barn. This guy tore down what was left standing, gathered up all the junk, leveled and prepped the site, and never ONCE touched the asparagus bed.  ;)   ;)   ;)   ;)
Then you will get a kick out of this:Pretty Big Dig ;)

'freedom...is actually the reason that men live together in political organisations at all. Without it, political life as such would be meaningless. The raison d'Être of politics is freedom, and its field of experience is action'.

#55 OFFLINE   jbredmound

jbredmound

Thread Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 27 April 2003 - 11:40 PM

Art is where we find it, Peachy. You found some good art. Yes, having watched what I did recently, I did get a big kick out of that video.Thank you for sharing. I got a laugh.  B)

#56 OFFLINE   Scot

Scot

Administrator

• Forum Admins
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 29 April 2003 - 07:43 AM

This thread is so cool. Solving problems like this one (and coming up with tips like Peachy's CD-burning backup) are why I got into this business. JBRedmond, I'm so glad you took Nathan's advice and tried SP3 again. I can't tell you how many times I've done similar "last ditch" things  before reformatting and had them work.A LOT of people had similar problems with the SP3 installation. I'm really not sure why, but it was a more problematic SP than many others. Of course, I had no problems with it on my two Win2000 PCs.I have to agree with the general consensus that a clean install should be in your future. But so long as your machine is running well, it if ain't broke, don't rush to fix it.Peachy, Nathan ...  I'm thinking about running the CD-burning Backup tip in the newsletter. If either of you would like to write up your experiences, or just describe them here, I'd like to print it and give you credit in the newsletter.-- Scot
Scot Finnie, Business & Technology Writer, Editor (that's me in the upper left corner)

#57 OFFLINE   Marsden11

Marsden11

Posting Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 29 April 2003 - 08:21 AM

An interesting thread...

Having gliches coming up, I decided to try to repair W2K, or install over and go get the Service Packs, etc, that I would lose.Well, the puter won't run the W2K disk. I have tried straight, from Safe Mode, from WE, from the Control Panel...nothing's working.
Why didn't you try a "repair in place?" Boot from your Win2K CD and select the 2nd Repair Option. That replaces all your current Windows System files but does not touch your Registry hives nor any installed programs. Re-apply SP3 and hit windows update a couple of times and you are good to go. Have you installed "cmdcons?"

#58 Guest_genaldar_*

Guest_genaldar_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 May 2003 - 07:46 AM

Not sure if anyone mentioned this, and I'm sure you thought of it.  But is it possible your install cd is just bad?  Can your computer read it at all?  Or does it read it, it just won't run it?  Have you tried it in another drive on another computer?  Because if its a bad disc you could track down a copy of it and use that (which is why fair use isn't always just an excuse to pirate).  Just adding my 2 cents.

#59 OFFLINE   jbredmound

jbredmound

Thread Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 01 May 2003 - 11:44 AM

Marsden11, on Apr 29 2003, 07:21 AM, said:

Why didn't you try a "repair in place?" Have you installed "cmdcons?"
Oh, I did...the 2K CD wouldn't do it. It just sat there staring at me. :lol: What's "cmdcons"?

#60 OFFLINE   jbredmound

jbredmound

Thread Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 01 May 2003 - 11:47 AM

genaldar, on May 1 2003, 06:46 AM, said:

Not sure if anyone mentioned this, and I'm sure you thought of it.  But is it possible your install cd is just bad?  Can your computer read it at all?  Or does it read it, it just won't run it?  Have you tried it in another drive on another computer?  Because if its a bad disc you could track down a copy of it and use that (which is why fair use isn't always just an excuse to pirate).  Just adding my 2 cents.
I thought about that early on, and tried both of my drives. I took it to work, and with the permission of IS, tried it there. The disk was fine (later evidenced by the fact that it ran in safe mode on my box).

#61 OFFLINE   Scot

Scot

Administrator

• Forum Admins
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 01 May 2003 - 04:37 PM

So, JBR, a few days later, how's your home machine running now?-- Scot
Scot Finnie, Business & Technology Writer, Editor (that's me in the upper left corner)

#62 OFFLINE   greengeek

greengeek

Forum Fiend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 01 May 2003 - 06:52 PM

;) I'm waiting for the sequel to this novel "Installing Windows", subtitled "getting it to work".Joy

#63 OFFLINE   jbredmound

jbredmound

Thread Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 02 May 2003 - 01:42 AM

Well, the old box is purring along like the day I fired it up. It slowed down yesterday, and I started to panic, but it was just a stupid spyware registry key, and I stomped it!.  <_< Scot, I am coming into "planting season", with a bunch of tilling and planting to do, plus getting my chickens re-settled and getting the new barn organized (when it gets built...about two weeks), so I am going to delay the reinstall for awhile.  B) I brought "System Mechanic" onboard, and that, coupled with the SP 3 re-install, has really brought this machine back to it's youth. I'm thankful, because the timing for a computer hassle was wrong (heat of summer or dead of winter...not spring or fall).Wow...it really is running like "the old days". So, when do we reach the point that they run, we use, and we don't have to reinvent the wheel all the time?

#64 OFFLINE   Marsden11

Marsden11

Posting Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 06 May 2003 - 06:32 AM

What's "cmdcons"?
The Recovery Console which you can install from your OS CD which gives you extra tools to fix your machine before Windows loads. It adds an entry to your Boot Menu. Some of the more useful tools from a command prompt would be FIXMBRFIXBOOTCHKDSK/R

#65 OFFLINE   Peachy

Peachy

Anarquista De Sartorial

• Forum Moderators
  • 5,448 posts

Posted 06 May 2003 - 09:07 AM

scot, on Apr 29 2003, 07:43 AM, said:

Peachy, Nathan ...  I'm thinking about running the CD-burning Backup tip in the newsletter. If either of you would like to write up your experiences, or just describe them here, I'd like to print it and give you credit in the newsletter.-- Scot
Sure Scot, here goes:Using Windows XP Backup Utility to save small backups to CD-R/CD-RWEver wondered how you could make scheduled backups of important documents and folders without having to buy a tape streamer? Well, with Windows XP's backup app you can and all you need is a CD-R/RW drive, a blank CD, and a packet-writing software. Packet-writing software allows you to format blank recordable optical media and have them accessible through a drive letter. The two most popular versions come bundled with your CD burner; Roxio's DirectCD or Ahead's InCD.To get started, first insert your blank disc and format it for use in your system using the aforementionned apps. Next, click on the Start button and open the Backup Utility application by clicking through to Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Backup. If you don't jave a tape drive installed in your system, Windows will tell you that, but that's okay because we don't need it. Select the Backup tab. You will see an Explorer-like two-pane window showing the contents of your computer including the floppy drive, all drive letter partitions, removeable drives, network shares, and an item called System State, which if you select will preserve your current registry settings. Below the panes you will see the Backup destination field, which will show "File" greyed out if you don't have the said tape drive. But don't worry because you will save the backup to file anyway. Below that is the Backup media or file name field. The default name will be "A:\Backup.bkf." That's correct; you can back up to 1.4MB of data to a floppy drive! Just change the drive letter to the one used by your CD burner with the formatted blank CD and change the name to whatever you want, including .bkf extension.Using the left pane you can expand each folder to see it's contents, shown in the right pane. To mark a folder for backup, just click on the check box to the left of the folder in the left pane. To select individual files, use the right pane and click on the check box beside each file. Just remember that you will have a capacity of only about 650MB on an 80 minute blank CD-R/RW. You can also packet-write format DVD-RW/+RW media with a capacity of about 4.5GB. When you are ready, click the Start Backup button. A Backup Job Information window will pop up. Fill in the description (useful for remembering what you backed up when you restore), select Replace the data on the media with this backup and then click Start Backup to start, or Schedule if you want to do it at some time in the future (this will create a new item in the Task Scheduler.) If you want to verify the backup, then click Advanced to select that setting.What if you selected too much data? When the backup compiles the files to be backed up, you will see a dialog box that quickly displays the files to be backed up and the file size of the backup. You will notice you have a Cancel button. Click that before the backup starts to actually write to the CD to cancel the job. Restoring would be the reverse of the backup. Just put the CD back in, click on Restore and Manage Media and select the backup from the list of available backup sets in the left pane. This is where the description you saved with the backup comes in handy.

#66 OFFLINE   Temmu

Temmu

The Assimilator

• Forum MVP
  • 12,543 posts

Posted 06 May 2003 - 09:21 AM

...this backup, is it just data or will it restore the os too?  B)
Posted Image

#67 OFFLINE   nlinecomputers

nlinecomputers

Discussion Deity

• No Longer a Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,932 posts

Posted 06 May 2003 - 09:29 AM

...this backup, is it just data or will it restore the os too? unsure.gif
Only if your total OS is smaller then the media you put in on.  I use BackupMYPC which is Microsoft Backup on steroids!  It can backup to mulitple CD/DVDs!!!
Nathan Williams, N-Line Computers

How to kill a programmer:  Give him a shampoo bottle.  Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

#68 OFFLINE   Peachy

Peachy

Anarquista De Sartorial

• Forum Moderators
  • 5,448 posts

Posted 06 May 2003 - 11:51 AM

Temmu, on May 6 2003, 09:21 AM, said:

...this backup, is it just data or will it restore the os too?  B)
Just data. If you want to restore the OS I would recommend Symantec Ghost 2003 or PowerQuest Drive Image 2002.

#69 OFFLINE   Temmu

Temmu

The Assimilator

• Forum MVP
  • 12,543 posts

Posted 06 May 2003 - 02:01 PM

thx!
Posted Image

#70 OFFLINE   oblivion

oblivion

New Kid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 May 2003 - 05:10 AM

jbredmound, on Apr 18 2003, 08:18 AM, said:

History: I was hit and hit hard by a Trojan several months ago. I dumped it, reinstalled Norton, fixed my address book, and did a few other repairs that I don't remember now.I think my problems really date back to this.Having gliches coming up, I decided to try to repair W2K, or install over and go get the Service Packs, etc, that I would lose.Well, the puter won't run the W2K disk.
I had something similar, although it was 98se and the trojan was IE6 sp1.  :P After many virus tests, attempts at diagnostics, removal of everything I'd installed in recent times (firewalls, AV software, spam and spyware tools, system updates, you name it) I pretty much stripped my system back to bare bones, and still it was crashing.One thing I learned with the "kill the Windows tree" route is that a backed-up registry you can browse with something like Resplendent Registrar for all your lost software keys is A Good Plan.Also, it's probably a good idea to kill off \Program Files\Internet Explorer before starting the reinstall; it's very easy to achieve a real hotchpotch of versions of various IE components and diagnosing that stuff is painful.But, all that aside, my main reason for sharing this is: DON'T MISS SIMPLER POSSIBILITIES!Because after I'd reinstalled, I still had problems. You know what? My CPU was overheating, as a result of a failed fan. I went through every software diagnostic tool I had, every registry tester I could find, and because I wasn't getting any consistency, blamed the only thing I thought all the problems had in common: Windows. Of course, they all had something else in common too: they were all happening on the same hardware. So check your hardware too; don't just rely on software to diagnose it, take the case apart and look in the box! (Or ask a friendly, hardware-savvy techie to do it if you're not comfortable with that.)I'm also concerned about your W2K disk. Does it run in other machines? Have you run a lens cleaner over your drive? (Believe me, dust and grime can be a bigger problem than you think!) :)

#71 OFFLINE   Cluttermagnet

Cluttermagnet

Nocturnal Radio Geek

• Forum MVP
  • 3,870 posts

Posted 14 May 2003 - 06:14 AM

jbredmound, on Apr 18 2003, 08:18 AM, said:

I shudder at the thought of a wipe, because 75% of my software is downloaded stuff, and I don't know how long it would take me to go get it all back.
This is one of the few areas where I thoroughly learned my lesson. I eventually got in the habit of creating folders and squirreling away a copy of each and every downloaded install utility, even those I thought might come in useful but have not yet installed (a significant percentage of total downloads). Fairly often, I pop a CDR in the burner and use Nero to copy everything in my "Download" and "Download Installed" folders. On this machine, still only about a 200-300M burn. So I have multiple (session closed) CDR copies floating around here, each slipped into a CD envelope and labeled on the CD with the date and a few other remarks. I have so many copies I can afford to give some away to my friends occasionally and 'share the wealth'.

#72 OFFLINE   mykey

mykey

New Kid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 May 2003 - 08:47 AM

You should be able to boot from the 2k CD. MS has provided bootables OS's since Win ME. Check your BIOS configuration, usually under "advanced settings"..."Boot Device Priority". If that fails your CD-Rom drive may not support Boot from CD.

#73 OFFLINE   Temmu

Temmu

The Assimilator

• Forum MVP
  • 12,543 posts

Posted 14 May 2003 - 09:41 AM

welcome oblivion and mykey!oblivion - indeed.  the old cpu is way too hot trick'll do it every timemykey - true that.cluttermagnet - me too.  friday, in fact, i just burned 2 cd's (~900mb worth) of dowloads - from phoenix to ms patches to utilities to news stuff on the former iraq war...and i've still got cd's from when the cd burner at work was a stand-alone 133mhz pc!
Posted Image

#74 OFFLINE   johnwhorfin

johnwhorfin

Contributor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 May 2003 - 01:57 PM

Another suggestion for a free back-up program is Karen' s Replicator, a program created by Karen Kenworth.  It is available at her Karen's Power Tools site, and more specifically here: Karen's Replicator.  The program has a lot of flexibility and will allow for scheduled , incremental backups as well.  Highly customizable with filters for inclusion as well as exclusion.

#75 OFFLINE   Temmu

Temmu

The Assimilator

• Forum MVP
  • 12,543 posts

Posted 14 May 2003 - 02:06 PM

johnwhorfin - welcome yes.  i use karen's replicator to backup mydocs every day.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users