Gardening

Frank

I know they kill the birds acadia but just as you mentioned it is their nature . I have a pet cat also that kills small creatures and he doesn't eat them . So I try to keep them separated as much as possible. But the cats that I was talking about would eat the critters they catch because they are going hungry out there . For example I have seen this little black and white stray that comes here eat tomatoes and bread corn cobs and the like and fortunately the birds do look out for him .

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jeber

• teacher

• greengeek

• georgeg4

I would Joy but you can't gwet within a hundred yards of them . Just as soon as I open the front door they take off at an amazing speed . Even feeding them doesn't help . We did however get one and she makes an excellent pet for my daughter who lives next door .

The biggest thing I miss about my 13 years in Idaho (besides thinking that an acre of land around the house was normal) is having wild visitors. The coyotes used to drive my dogs nuts. Porcupines. Gawd knows how many offspring of feral barn cats. It was like an extended family.

You ladies are messing with a wombat addict...and that's a dangerous thing to do. I'm in recovery, but the slightest bit of wombatiness can send me plunging into an orgy of image searches on Google for wombat pictures for use as wallpaper. It can get truly ugly. You're just lucky I haven't found a good enough one to use as a avatar. Let's face it...is there anything cuter than a wombat? Is there any animal more shapeless than a wombat? :(

:( What's so fascinating about these wombats anyway? They're big, hairy and smelly, look a bit like large guinea pigs. They are protected so I can't just put one in a box and post it to you. Do you prefer the common or hairy nosed variety?

Sounds really nice, Temmu. Have you thought of lighting it? They have solar powered lights that you could put at the base and shine directly up the pole. Not really a suggestion, just a thought. But you do know, according to the US Code (I believe ((?)) ), that if you don't light it, the flag should be lowered at sunset and raised again at sunrise?

Here are a couple of pictures of my daily visitors they were both taken at the same time . The rabbit is waiting his turn .cat.jpgrabbit.jpg

Georgeg4, I don't know what the heck that thing is in your first pic, but if you don't kill it quick, I'm strapping on my jet-pack and flying over there and doing it myself. My gawd, what an ugly creature. Do you live near a nuclear power plant? :unsure:Nice yard! What part of the world are you in?

Yum!!! My boss's parents just dropped off a tub of fresh peas! They're so good to eat right out of the pod! So sweet! Never knew raw peas would be so good! :)

Just had my first strawberries picked in the garden today, this year looks promissing . . . might be enough to make 15 -20 jars of jam for the winter . . . . yummy !The vedgies are doing fine too, have to empty the freezer . . . . . make some space for the new crop.:) Bruno

I have no idea what it is jeber but it sure scared the daylights out of me . I shot it twice but it just laughed at me . P.S. thanks for the compliment . I live in the least populated county in Penna.," Potter County" ( The official nickname for it is God's Country ) and it fits . I live in a village of 15 families . 10 miles away from the nearest commercial establishment of any kind .

Guest ThunderRiver

Well, it is not really my garden.. but it is some nice place in Ann Arbor, that I love go visit in the morning..Nichol's ArboretumArboretum0306041.jpgArboretum0306042.jpgBotanical Garden - Rose GardenBotanicalGarden0306041.jpg

You are 99% right Temmu . In all honesty I have noticed more people flying the flag since 9-11 . I think as you say many people displayed the flag after 9-11 and kept it flying as long as their respective memories lasted ( unfortunately some people have short memories) but I believe that it did in fact stimulate some people that were patriotic before hand , but for whatever reason did not publicize the fact , because I do still notice many of them still displaying the flag today . BTW I have been displaying our flag proudly since I enlisted In The US Army on my 17th bday over 50 yrs ago .

My only request of folks flying flags: Please dispose of properly when tattered and worn. I hate seeing someone driving down the bypass with flags on their cars (like they are a general officer or something) only to be half gone and in tatters. That irks me! :blink: Don't get me started. Okay, I'm off my soap box.ThunderRiverThe A squared pictures look great. Makes me miss seeing a little big of green. Nothing is that green around here right now. I have coriopsis, day lilies, painted desert and other flowers in bloom. It looks like the white oleander is getting ready to do something, but the sand/yard/grass?? is not near as pretty.

Guest ThunderRiver

Teacher where do you live?In Texas, it would be that green probably around April already.. but it is too hot in Texas, so you need to give water every day, or else it will turn dry.. and also fire ant.. and then other diseases for lawnUp in north, I tend to find grass fairly easy to grow with much efforts..but it has been cold here. I still like the temperature down in south better.

Teacher where do you live?
At the beach in North Carolina. If we want a green yard, we have to bring in truckloads of dirt first. Something about living on a sandpatch. Try to answer when your daugher asks "Why did we build our house on the sand? The Bible says not to do that!"We go natural around here - wild flowers, mums, roses, tiger lilies, live oak, holly, pine (ugh) and whatever grows without dirt!

Guest ThunderRiver

Well, technicall we could be careless.. but when you drive by the street.. if our house is the only one that grows wild weed and dead grass.. I think we would be fined. two years ago, due to lack of care, we were almost fined for $200 just cuz the lawn looks like eh graveyard without tombstone

My husband still has to mow. We go natural but he mows (lawnmower with big wheels to get aorund on sand) about once a month. He has to go around all the wild flowers. All the flower beds were dug up this year, plastic put down, mulched and replanted. It is a wait and see operation. He wants to plant a couple of palm trees but I am not sure they will grow.

I am working on low maintenance decorative around the house - except for my rose bushes. High maintenance, but I love them especially in a year like this - cool & rainy. Still have a yard to maintain - nice place for the kids to play. My husband keeps up with the garden. Enjoy lettuce, spinach, potatoes, tomatoes, Italian green beans. Don't grow crookneck squash or zucchini anymore - my husband hasn't recovered from the bumper crop that we had 10 years ago! ;) When we lived in Wyoming with 12" - 18" precipitation per year & a very short growing season, if you could grow anything, it was an incredible accomplishment!!

I have a vegetable garden every year. It's a medium size garden with sweet corn, okra, eggplant, tomatoes, squash, bell peppers, and green beans. We freeze a lot of corn and tomatoes. I have a small herb garden, too.My wife and I put in a new flower bed every year because she buys too many plants. B) Of course I have to help, she buys hardwood mulch by the dump truck and I'm not kidding! :( We love it but it takes a lot of work. We work early in the morning and in the cool of the evening. I mow whenever I get a chance and have a hard time keeping up. I do find time for computing!Tennessee is a pretty place to live and the weather is nice except for the tornadoes. We live in a rural area with a creek running through our property so we have a lot of wildlife all around us. We don't have any neighbors near so it's quiet and peaceful.Ken

Glad 'ya stopped by, Georgeg4...grab a pair of gloves and put on your boots...we've got some serious planting to do. B)