AMD Motherboard Q !!

abarbarian

abarbarian

If you were to build a new pc with a AMD AM5 cpu would you get a board with a Graphics slot capable of,

PCI_E1 Gen PCIe 5.0 supports up to x16 (From CPU)

or

PCI_E1 Gen PCIe 4.0 supports up to x16 (From CPU)

And M.2 slots capable of,

M.2_1 Source (From CPU) supports up to PCIe 5.0 x4

or

M.2_1 Source (From CPU) supports up to PCIe 4.0 x4

At present graphics cards only use PCI_E1 Gen PCIe 4.0. Most affordable M.2 cards run at PCI_E1 Gen PCIe 4.0. As to ram DDR5 is an obvious choice as the price of it has become affordable.

Price difference between a total PCI_E1 Gen PCIe 5.0 motherboard and a PCI_E1 Gen PCIe 4.0 motherboard is around £150 ish. Could be even more depending on whether wif or spdif is wanted.

Or would you wait and see what 2024 brings along as both AMD and Intel are touting new stuff but for later in the year.AMD claim to be supporting AM5 for at least until 2026 and Am 5 may even be compatible with new stuff for even longer. Intel's new stuff will need a total new complete set up and who knows how long their platforms will be supported for. Both platforms would still be very useful for a long time though. My SKYLAKE pc is almost a decade old and still runs pretty well.My GTX 1070 copes pretty well at 1080 but is hampered a tad at 144. Will there be a great leap forward in graphics cards shortly ? Will the new cpu's be that much better ? If so would they be affordable or even needed for daily use ?

What started me looking at a new build which is just a thought at this time.

Well during my recent Pi project I had to use my main pc's usb keyboard with the Pi. As I only have one usb keyboard I had to use a old style purple plug keyboard of which I have several gathering dust and my Motherboard has a purple socket.When I plugged in the old keyboard  I got a bright flash at the socket  and instantly a message showed on the monitor but ever so briefly that all I could read was, " going into emergency mode" and the it went dead. I quickly switched of power to the pc and unpluged the purple flasher.

Every time I tried to start the pc it looked like it would boot up, lights would flash and fans would start as normal for a second or so then suddenly just shut down. I tried resetting coms , taking out the battery and so on but nothing would work. Surfing the net did not get me any answers apart from, rest the bios, not much use as I could not get to the bios.

That was when I started to think about robbing banks etc to raise loot for a new pc, along with researching said pc.

After the initial panic and more sensible surf research. I found a solution that worked.It consisted of taking out the coms battery for over an hour , pressing the cler coms and reset button whilst pressing the start button and then starting the pc, or something like that.

So I still have my beloved SKYLAKE and now lots of questions on possibly building a new pc.

So what do you folk think of the opening Q's ? Obviously this is all hypothetical as I would need to save up some loot to travel to another town as we only have one very small bank here and that would take quite some time. 🫣

Edited by abarbarian

Hello,

If I were planning on using the motherboard for more than a couple of years than I would go with the one which had PCIe 5.0 interfaces, simply on the basis that I would be able to upgrade it for a longer time period to faster PCIe devices.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • +1 2

securitybreach

I always try to future proof any hardware that I get. I get the latest and best that I can afford at the time, otherwise you will have to replace things more often.

• Like 1
  • +1 2

I haven't built anything for a long time, and I have some very old hardware that doesn't support PCIe storage (lots of SATA though.)

That said, I've been burned by AMD in the past when I got hardware too close to the bleeding edge and I wanted to run Linux on it. Future proofing is great but you don't have a future if things don't work in the present.

My newest Linux system is a Broadwell based laptop from 2015 so just about anything would be an improvement I guess.

About the only advice I would give is select a mobo and CPU that are compatible without a lot of futzing around with BIOS updates.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, goretsky said:

Hello,

If I were planning on using the motherboard for more than a couple of years than I would go with the one which had PCIe 5.0 interfaces, simply on the basis that I would be able to upgrade it for a longer time period to faster PCIe devices.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I have been building PC's since the late 1990's and this has been my mentality the entire time. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

securitybreach
6 minutes ago, xrobwx71 said:

I have been building PC's since the late 1990's and this has been my mentality the entire time. 

Same here :thumbsup:

• Like 2

V.T. Eric Layton

I'm not up on all the technical baloney these days, so were I actually going purchase parts for a new machine, I'd have to start off by doing my homework to come up-to-snuff with whatever is new and practical for me out there in the marketplace, and can I buy it cheaply?

I can safely say this, though...

I would probably follow Aryeh's suggestion:

> If I were planning on using the motherboard for more than a couple of years than I would go with the one which had PCIe 5.0 interfaces, simply on the basis that I would be able to upgrade it for a longer time period to faster PCIe devices.

...and Ray's, too:

> About the only advice I would give is select a mobo and CPU that are compatible without a lot of futzing around with BIOS updates.

Yes, and bleeding edge is nowhere near as important to me as stability and ease-of-use, but that's just me... the lazy slacker. ;)

• Like 4

I would go for the generation before the latest CPU for better Linux support eg. Currently Intel is 13th Gen so I'd get a 12th Gen.

Usually midrange CPU and GPU - currently my 8YO Skylake system is i5 6500 and GTX970. Best bang for buck.

It's curious your GTX1070 doesn't like 1440p @abarbarian, my GTX970 is quite comfortable running 2 x 2160p (UHD) monitors together for desktops or videos although some games are a struggle.

• Like 1

abarbarian
On 1/31/2024 at 9:26 PM, sunrat said:

It's curious your GTX1070 doesn't like 1440p

Yeah I am happy with my similar Skylake build.It has run flawlessly since it was created. The recent scare I had when it would not boot set me of looking at a rebuild just out of curiosity. Also  since I upgraded to a 27" 1440 monitor I have had to dial down the settings just a tad in some games. The GTX1070 has performed brilliantly but looking forward it will struggle to perform with ultra setting in modern games. I do like to run games with the very best graphical settings. Spent many hours researching the current state of pc tech and do not fancy doing so again in the near future.

So it looks like I am going to dive in and do a new build.

A couple of other factors which prompted me to do a new build. I'm 70 and who knows how much time I have left. I have the Royal and plenty of books and anime and a garden so I do not need to spend any more loot on entertainment apart from petrol and a few seeds.Which makes my computing my main hobby so why not indulge. Plus the good old UK gov have been providing support for poor folk like me to cover energy costs and the last payment they have offered this year will come in February, that will contribute £299 to the build.

An I borrowed some loot of me mum way back in 2010 as a short term loan. She would not let me pay her back so I suggested that I bought Premium Bonds (a sort of perpetual lottery) and if we won we would share the winnings. Strangely enough I have held a Premium Bond since 1957 and won nothing. The bonds I bought for me mum won in the first eligible month, a whooping £25, not a bad sum in 2010. Since then they have won nothing, or so I thought. Moving house several times over the years I had not updated my details with the bond site. On doing so last week   I found that I had won £100 and £50 in September of 2023 which strangely enough was the year and month I turned 70. So thanks to the gods and me mum that is another chunk of loot towards the build.

An lately I have been posting stuff for sale on Gumtree (like e-bay but no fees and just a straight sale price) and have managed to raise another £115 selling stuff I do not need. I have more stuff still on sale so may just manage to raise enough loot for the full build, though at the moment I am still short of the target and have had to raid the dwindling savings account.

If the gods are with me I may even be able to raise another £100 for my Skylake motherboard plus cpu and memory or maybe a tad more on E-Bay.

So thanks for all the thoughts folks. Chewing over your thoughts  I dove in and ordered kit on Thursday. Some of which arrived today. With only the DDR5 memory to arrive.

What did I order. Well.......................

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D CPU

Asrock B650E TAICHI LITE, AMD B650, AM5, EATX

ADATA XPG Lancer Blade 32GB DDR5 6000MHz CL30

Noctua NM-AM5/4-MP83 chromax.black,SecuFirm2 Mounting-Kit for AMD AM5

Thermalright AM5 SECURE FRAME BLACK AM5 CPU holder, corrective anti-bending fixing frame

I could have got TEAMGROUP T-Create Expert Overclocking 10L DDR5 32GB Kit (2 x 16GB) 6400MHz (PC5-51200) CL32 for £3 less and they get good reviews but it seems they are developed specifically for Intel XMP and I could not find any information as to how they might perform with AMD EXPO. I doubt I will do any overclocking so maybe I should have gone for them due to the slightly higher speed.

Google shopping results for the motherboard and cpu were pretty much all in the same ball park. After some deep digging I found the cpu for £5 less and the motherboard for £15 less. Then shock horror and purely by chance  after I had ordered and too late to cancel I found the cpu for £40 less.  The restock fee plus postage for my original cpu order was more than the £40 saving, darn it.

Looking into graphics cards I will stick with the GTX1070 for a while.. I am temped by the,

Sapphire Radeon RX 7700 XT Pulse

but prices on those or some other card may just come down in the near future. Or some newer cards may appear. I'll wait and see as I  have a couple of games on the go that will take quite a while to finish and that the 1070 is coping with just fine.

😋

• Like 3

abarbarian

Almost forgot main reason I chose that motherboard is cause of the advertising. What with having been a Tai Chi instructor in another life.

SIMPLY BRILLIANT B650E Taichi Lite
Taichi represents the philosophical state of undifferentiated absolute and infinite potential. A motherboard that fulfills every task – with style! Become like water. Shapeless, formless, versatile for any situation.

🤣

Looks like a nice mobo, rave review at PC Mag - https://au.pcmag.com/motherboards/101485/asrock-b650e-taichi-lite

Tai Chi i one of my favourite hobbies along with music, computers, Ingress and swimming.

Keep us informed how it goes. I may be due for an upgrade in the not so near future. Currently happy with my Skylake/ GTX970 /Gigabyte setup apart from the GPU fan being a bit noisy and replacements only seem to be available on online ebay order from China. Will order one soon™. 😁

abarbarian
7 hours ago, sunrat said:

Tai Chi i one of my favourite hobbies

You have a lot to learn grasshopper. Tai Chi is a way of life. 😍

I never even knew you could get replacement fans for graphics cards. Learn something new every day.

As to the board. Every single review, an I read a lot of em, said the same thing about how wonderful the board was.Hope they are right. 😎

48 minutes ago, abarbarian said:

You have a lot to learn grasshopper. Tai Chi is a way of life. 😍

So is music, computers, Ingress, and swimming. So I have 5 ways of life. 😁

• +1 1